Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
Is it just a matter of whose side your on? Or is there a clear differance between the 2? In the 1980's the US provided support for the Contras who opposed the popular Nicaraguan government. The Contras conducted raids against villages, raped and pillaged and fought government soldiers. Ronald Reagan christened them Freedom Fighters and provided them with arms. How does this differ from what we accuse the Iranians and Syrians of doing?

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Good question.

As a "freedom fighter", you don't just fight for a good cause, but you follow some rules, such as don't deliberately kill civilians, don't execute P.O.W., don't rape, and similar things.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:
Good question.

As a "freedom fighter", you don't just fight for a good cause, but you follow some rules, such as don't deliberately kill civilians, don't execute P.O.W., don't rape, and similar things.

that's not always true.
the only difference is in who is describing them.

Bow ties are coool.
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
I think the key word would be "restraint"; a freedom fighter would never resort to methods that would turn the average person against their cause. They embrace peace and see violence as a loss of sorts, an assertion that would separate Gandhi and MLK from Ho Chi Minh and Carlos the Jackal.

Terrorism partially embodies the notions that politics is a sealed phenomenon breachable only through violence, and that change can never be achieved through negotiation.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Freedom fighter is what retards call terrorists.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Nice boycott...

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:
Good question.

that's not always true.

Agreed.

Remember that Osama Bin Laden was described as a 'freedom fighter' at one time when he was part of the Afghani moujahadeen, on account of him killing and blowing up Soviets. Never mind that "freedom" in the way we define it, was the furthest thing on his mind.

To me, the phrase(s) is merely a tool to try to frame the imagery. "Freedom fighter" to me invokes imagery of the revolutionary war and democracy which I beleive is the intended reaction.

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
go watch the movie Red Dawn, and then think about Iraqi insurgents.

Bow ties are coool.
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
WOLVERINES!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
btw did the kids in RED DAWN suicide bomb children and elderly women, because I don't remeber that?

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
btw did the kids in RED DAWN suicide bomb children and elderly women, because I don't remeber that?

Director's Cut.

Bow ties are coool.
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
Quote:

PenWing said:
Quote:

rex said:

Well then, we're all agreed that Ronald Reagan was a retard!

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

Director's Cut.

SWAYZE IS DA BOMB YO!

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:
Good question.

that's not always true.

Agreed.

Remember that Osama Bin Laden was described as a 'freedom fighter' at one time when he was part of the Afghani moujahadeen, on account of him killing and blowing up Soviets. Never mind that "freedom" in the way we define it, was the furthest thing on his mind.

To me, the phrase(s) is merely a tool to try to frame the imagery. "Freedom fighter" to me invokes imagery of the revolutionary war and democracy which I beleive is the intended reaction.

Absolutely! It's like the difference between a king and a tyrant, the only difference is who benefits from their actions. To Americans, Osama is a terrorist and a murderer. To many Arabs, he is a freedom fighter because he is willing to take on the tyranny of the United States. Hero/villain, vigilante/criminal and freedom fighter/terrorist are all judgement calls that we make as individuals and cultures.

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
G.I. Joe=Freedom Fighter
Cobra=Terrorist

It's easy.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
How would people describe the Northern alliance who fought on our side in Afganistan and how do people think they actually differ from the Taliban?

25+ posts
25+ posts
Quote:

rex said:

So...are you saying that Americans who describe such heroes of the Revolutionary War as George Washington and his comrades in arms as freedom fighters are retards? And that Washington and the minutemen were terrorists?

I certainly don't consider the Minutemen to be terrorists, and I'm rather offended by you accusing them of being so.

"Just because I don't like to fight doesn't mean that I can't."
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
In theory I'd like to think that a Freedom Fighter is someone who targets primarily oppressive governments and a terrorist is someone who intentionally targets noncombant civilians.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
In theory I'd like to think that a Freedom Fighter is someone who targets primarily oppressive governments and a terrorist is someone who intentionally targets noncombant civilians.

both have the same goals, just different beliefs in how to carry them out. The modern islamic terrorists started by just targeting the corrupt governments, but then felt the people's lack of support made them just as guilty.
so, essentially it's all a matter of what they consider "innocent."

Also, keep in mind, they all see it as war. When we bombed Germany and Iraq we bombed innocents as well as the military. It didn't matter in war time to us.

Bow ties are coool.
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Ooo! Another thought! If you're successful enough to form an army, you're a freedom fighter. If you're stuck using yourself as a human bomb, you're a terrorist.

Almost seems like a redneck joke should follow that.

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
both have the same goals, just different beliefs in how to carry them out. The modern islamic terrorists started by just targeting the corrupt governments, but then felt the people's lack of support made them just as guilty.

Also, keep in mind, they all see it as war. When we bombed Germany and Iraq we bombed innocents as well as the military. It didn't matter in war time to us.

In Germany and Iraq, innocents were "collateral damage," not the primary target.

In regards to the idea that terrorists consider civilians "guilty" for supporting the government, while an appealing idea to the terrorist, is not an objective standard whatsoever. Every evildoer feels he or she is justified.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I think if someone is fighting being oppressed they would be a freedom fighter, if they are fighting a democracy being formed in their goverment they would be terrorists.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Good answer

1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
Quote:

I think if someone is fighting being oppressed they would be a freedom fighter, if they are fighting a democracy being formed in their goverment they would be terrorists.

Being occupied by a foreign military power. Can it get a lot more oppressive than that?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yes, when the "foreign occupier" would like nothing better than to see you idiots embrace democracy, so we can go home.

1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Yes, when the "foreign occupier" would like nothing better than to see you idiots embrace democracy, so we can go home.

Kipling would be so proud! Thanks, G man, for picking up the white man's burden!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Not the same thing at all.

Colonial England never really wanted to let go of its colonies. All the "white man's burden" stuff was simply an excuse to keep the empire together in order to exploit it.

Bush and his supporters are not claiming, as did Kipling, that the Iraqis are not ready for democracy. Quite the contrary, Bush is the one pushing for free elections, constitutions, etc.

It's his detractors on the left who have adopted Kipling's quaint notion of natives who can't be trusted with democracy.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

Being occupied by a foreign military power. Can it get a lot more oppressive than that?

Sure...the Iraqi's could have a dictator who slaughters, tortures, and starves their own people to death, while said dictator enjoys a life of luxury at the expense of the very people he oppresses.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

In Germany and Iraq, innocents were "collateral damage," not the primary target.

In regards to the idea that terrorists consider civilians "guilty" for supporting the government, while an appealing idea to the terrorist, is not an objective standard whatsoever. Every evildoer feels he or she is justified.

which is my whole point. no one considers themselves evil. every soldier, freedom fighter, terrorist, hell's angel considers their own killing to be the only justified killing.

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Colonial England never really wanted to let go of its colonies. All the "white man's burden" stuff was simply an excuse to keep the empire together in order to exploit it.

what about the Yellow Submarine? Was that an excuse to keep Pepperland in the Empire?
At least we had proof that the Blue Meanies had Bouncing Hands of Mass Destruction.

Quote:

Bush and his supporters are not claiming, as did Kipling, that the Iraqis are not ready for democracy. Quite the contrary, Bush is the one pushing for free elections, constitutions, etc.

which may be the only positive thing to come out of this war. but i feel his stance would be stronger if not for the WMD stories and the Haliburton scandals.

Quote:

It's his detractors on the left who have adopted Kipling's quaint notion of natives who can't be trusted with democracy.

that's not entirely true. I'm glad they're doing elections. but again, do the ends always justify the means?
would democracy have worked here if Washington and Jefferson had been foisted on us by the British?
The Iraqi government was set up by us, and sooner or later the Iraqi citizens will want a government that's beholden to them and not the U.S.
But I guess, you hated the White Album too.

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

MisterJLA said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

Sure...the Iraqi's could have a dictator who slaughters, tortures, and starves their own people to death, while said dictator enjoys a life of luxury at the expense of the very people he oppresses.

Georgie on vacation.

People who are dying for him every day. If he was any real leader, he would give up the month long vacations as long as a single soldier is dying.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
By that logic, Lincoln, Wilson, FDR, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon and any other president who served during a war (and all of whom took vacations while in office) was a dictator who sent his people to die.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
By that logic, Lincoln, Wilson, FDR, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon and any other president who served during a war (and all of whom took vacations while in office) was a dictator who sent his people to die.

by the above definition, yes they were.
But, how many vacations did FDR/Truman take during WWII? I bet they spent a hell of a lot less time "on the ranch" then Bush has.
And Kennedy never had a war.

Bow ties are coool.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

The prescense of a foreign military power does not automatically equal oppression. I think the fact that you can't understand that may be your problem. Do you understand oppression is what was happening to the people of Iraq before the invasion? I will give you the majority of occupations in history have been oppressive ones. That may be why you cannot see that this one is not.Do you consider people being allowed to form their own political system oppression? I would like a straightforward answer to that but I doubt I'll get it. You'll prolly go sideways on this. Which will prove that you just have a a desire to bash. But in reality allowing people a voice and freedom cannot be considered oppression by any definition.

1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
Quote:

Quote:

magicjay38 said:

The prescense of a foreign military power does not automatically equal oppression. I think the fact that you can't understand that may be your problem. Do you understand oppression is what was happening to the people of Iraq before the invasion? I will give you the majority of occupations in history have been oppressive ones. That may be why you cannot see that this one is not.Do you consider people being allowed to form their own political system oppression? I would like a straightforward answer to that but I doubt I'll get it. You'll prolly go sideways on this. Which will prove that you just have a a desire to bash. But in reality allowing people a voice and freedom cannot be considered oppression by any definition.

When you can tell me that having a foreign army conducting military operations inside a country is not de facto oppressive.

You have this annoying habit of turning discussions into personal attacks against the person making a statement. You talk about 'my desire to bash'. I described the reality of the situation, the occupation, and asked a question about it. A question that you did not answer in your lengthy rant on my character and motivations. My character or motivation have nothing to do with the truth of the matter. To answer it you'd need to find out what Iraqis think about the occupation.

You state the Iraqis are not oppressed by your standard. But your standard is not germaine (or janet) to the discussion. Do Iraqis as a population think the occupation is oppressive? That is the issue.

Your attempts at euphamism are shoddy at best. Just like you mother's screams were when I fucked her ass last night! The cunt liked it!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

You used perjoritives to describe the Iraqis for their lack of gratitude. That would be an indicator that you are prejudiced against Iraqis. Your first statement makes clear that at the least you harbour ethnocentric feelings toward Iraqis. Your plea of innoncence puts your bigotry on display.

Paragraph 2, well, the last time there was a colonial England would be the Norman Conquest, circa 1260 AD. I think you mean Imperial England don't you?

Bush may want democracy, but do the Iraqis?

Quote:

I've heard no one on the left say this. Am I just supposed to take your word for it?

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

Quote:

magicjay38 said:

When you can tell me that having a foreign army conducting military operations inside a country is not de facto oppressive.

You have this annoying habit of turning discussions into personal attacks against the person making a statement. You talk about 'my desire to bash'. I described the reality of the situation, the occupation, and asked a question about it. A question that you did not answer in your lengthy rant on my character and motivations. My character or motivation have nothing to do with the truth of the matter. To answer it you'd need to find out what Iraqis think about the occupation.

You state the Iraqis are not oppressed by your standard. But your standard is not germaine (or janet) to the discussion. Do Iraqis as a population think the occupation is oppressive? That is the issue.

Your attempts at euphamism are shoddy at best. Just like you mother's screams were when I fucked her ass last night! The cunt liked it!

For anyone here still keeping score. I got under his skin and snapped him....so as the old saying goes.....I WIN AGAIN!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Quote:

MisterJLA said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

he was easier then the rest!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard