6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
I don't think anyone here is particularly incensed at the looters stealing food to survive. It's the ones stealing TVs, etc., we find repugnant.

Of course there's even a problem with those looting to "survive" recently I heard that the government has essentially taken over the grocery stores and is distributing the food w/in, ut the looters have been taking the food and hording it. So while it's a survival instict. It's survival at the expence of others.

agreed. unfortunately these situations cause a panic to set in where people will hoard whatever they can get.
hopefully they can clamp down on the food looting and fairly distribute it.

That's what makes this all so sick. There are so many lose-lose scenareos.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
This is sad.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
More bad news out of News Orleans. Fox News is reporting that blues legend and rock and roll pioneer "Fats" Domino has been missing since the Hurricane:

one of the city’s most important legends, Antoine "Fats" Domino, has not been heard from since Monday afternoon. Domino’s rollicking boogie-woogie piano and deep soul voice are not only part of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame but responsible for dozens of hits like “Blue Monday,” “Ain’t That a Shame,” “Blueberry Hill” and “I’m Walking (Yes, Indeed, I’m Talking).”

Domino, 76, lives with his wife Rosemary and daughter in a three-story pink-roofed house in New Orleans’ 9th ward, which is now under water.

On Monday afternoon, Domino told his manager, Al Embry of Nashville, that he would “ride out the storm” at home. Embry is now frantic.

Calls have been made to Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco’s office and to various police officials, and though there’s lots of sympathetic response, the whereabouts of Domino and his family remain a mystery.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
lookit this:

giant picture
Rob #562176 2005-09-01 8:39 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Conservative blog Free Republic has started a collection of the many images of the devastation. It's worth checking out, regardless of your political inclinations.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I just don't have any words to describe the devastation that's taking place over there.

I side with Gob here. Fuck politics. Time and a place. This is neither.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Relief workers confront 'urban warfare'

I seriously think that anyone who fucks with or interferes with a relief worker should be shot on sight and their corpse hung from the nearest street light.

Bastards.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Now, now, G-Man, you don't want to infringe upon their rights, do you?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
They have no rights. The City is under martial law.

Shoot them in the face and hang their bodies up as a warning to the others.

Evil bastards.

theory9 #562181 2005-09-02 12:23 AM
25+ posts
25+ posts
I just can't believe that a major city like New Orleans pretty much no longer exists (as we know it.) I am literally unable to wrap my mind around that, despite the news images and photos.

I have a lot of good memories of New Orleans, so this is quite heartbreaking. I'm worried that a couple friends of mine who live there might be among the casualties. Anyone else here have friends or family in that area?

Quote:

theory9 said:
people concerned with solving problems tend to be apolitical and are often the people who really get things done.

Sadly, none of these people ever become politicians.

"Just because I don't like to fight doesn't mean that I can't."
25+ posts
25+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
More bad news out of News Orleans. Fox News is reporting that blues legend and rock and roll pioneer "Fats" Domino has been missing since the Hurricane:

He's been found, safe and mostly sound.

Methos #562183 2005-09-02 12:27 AM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

Methos #562184 2005-09-02 12:30 AM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Methos said:
I just can't believe that a major city like New Orleans pretty much no longer exists (as we know it.) I am literally unable to wrap my mind around that, despite the news images and photos.

Yeah, it's weird.

My wife travels/traveled there annually for a conference. And just tonight, I reached into the cupboard for a coffee mug and the first one I pulled out was one she brought back from legendary N.O. coffee shop Cafe DuMonde.

I very carefully put it back, realizing that we will in all likelihood never have the opportunity to get another.

the G-man #562185 2005-09-02 12:34 AM
25+ posts
25+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Methos said:

Yeah, it's weird.

My wife travels/traveled there annually for a conference. And just tonight, I reached into the cupboard for a coffee mug and the first one I pulled out was one she brought back from legendary N.O. coffee shop Cafe DuMonde.

I very carefully put it back, realizing that we will in all likelihood never have the opportunity to get another.

Has she ever been to Preservation Hall?

Their jazz band is the most intense jazz music you will ever be privileged to hear. I picked up one of their albums, and it's one of my favorite memories of New Orleans.

I tend to remember the little simple things better than the epic events.

Methos #562186 2005-09-02 12:44 AM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Preservation Hall. Amazing.

So many cultural landmarks are going to be gone after this. So much of America's unique heritage - including and especially musical heritage - is rooted in New Orleans. Even though it's not as disheartening as the immediate danger that the people of the city are in, it's still staggering.

This changes everything.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
I just don't have any words to describe the devastation that's taking place over there.

Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Has anyone discussed the $4.00 a gallon gas yet, I find that amazing...

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

Yeah, it's a riot. I can't believe I initiated the two pages of politicizing prior to that post!

LOL

;P

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
politics? are you fucking kidding me?

fuck you.

not the time.

Quote:

Poverty Lad said:
No, Rob, Fuck YOU.

If anything in UID's post preceding is true, then this disaster is squarely laid at Bush's feet. People died, are dying, because of his blundering badly with the issues at hand.

Not the time? You're right, the time was several years ago. But now all we can do is shake our heads and help the survivors as best we can.

"I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees." - President Bush, September 1, 2005

I couldn't have said it better myself Poverty Lad.

I'm wondering when those times for politics finally roll around. With Iraq, another debacle that was predicted and the advice unheeded, we're now being told by the people Robbie agrees with here on these boards that the time for pointing fingers is over and pointless. With 9/11 as the Salon story points out, FEMA was another agency that warned that terror in New York as well as a hurricane in New Orleans was one of the TOP 3 MOST LIKELY disasters on the U.S.

This (or "these" rather) was/were not a situation(s) that couldn't have been predicted. It was predicted and was IGNORED.

It's predictable that you don't want your hero Bush to face any accountability but his fuck up's are mounting and people are dying again on U.S. soil on account of his fuck up's. Can it be you don't want these quyestions to be asked because it goes to the heart of the issue. These deaths can be laid at Bush's doorstep. And thus his policies, drained resources funneling towards Iraq, and those who support him making all these disastrous descisions are also at fault here?

And I think that "FUCK YOU" was directed squarely at me. You might want to curse:

Quote:

Reuters:Bush administration funding cuts forced federal engineers to delay improvements on the levees, floodgates and pumping stations that failed to protect New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters, agency documents showed on Thursday.

CNN's Jack Cafferty blasts Bush bad: video

This is his disaster, he owns it. Kamphausen curses or otherwise. You may be mad at politics being injected into this disaster. However as i'm pointing out, this is a disater on this level BECAUSE of politics!

Some questions that need answers:

Why were millions diverted from civil engineering projects in New Orleans to Iraq?

Why did Bush stay on vacation even after the Nat’l Hurricane Center predicted this catastrophe?

Why did it take 3 days for Bush to take action after Katrina hit?

How can the oil companies’ profits be so high yet there are nationwide shortages?

Why are thousands not receiving the treatment and protection they need even now?

How prepared are we for the next natural disaster or even a terrorist attack?

And now I hear Bush has refused aid from Canada and Jamaica and that federal aid isn't coming in quickly because they don't want to impede state and local efforts! Jeez! Sounds like conservative ideology at work there!

Meanwhile, Condi's playing tennis and attending Broadway shows rather than attending Cabinet meetings, Cabinet secretaries are trying to get their staffs to attend the war parade, the RNC is working on tax cuts and the President, who knows what he's doing? One may start getting the impression that New Orleans isn't that big a priority both before and now after this disaster.

Look below. One can question our leadership and also focus on the disaster at hand. AT THE SAME TIME!!! You're in New York, I'm sure you've seen THIS then.

Quote:

Editorial
NYTimes.com

Waiting for a Leader

Published: September 1, 2005

George W. Bush gave one of the worst speeches of his life yesterday, especially given the level of national distress and the need for words of consolation and wisdom. In what seems to be a ritual in this administration, the president appeared a day later than he was needed. He then read an address of a quality more appropriate for an Arbor Day celebration: a long laundry list of pounds of ice, generators and blankets delivered to the stricken Gulf Coast. He advised the public that anybody who wanted to help should send cash, grinned, and promised that everything would work out in the end.

We will, of course, endure, and the city of New Orleans must come back. But looking at the pictures on television yesterday of a place abandoned to the forces of flood, fire and looting, it was hard not to wonder exactly how that is going to come to pass. Right now, hundreds of thousands of American refugees need our national concern and care. Thousands of people still need to be rescued from imminent peril. Public health threats must be controlled in New Orleans and throughout southern Mississippi. Drivers must be given confidence that gasoline will be available, and profiteering must be brought under control at a moment when television has been showing long lines at some pumps and spot prices approaching $4 a gallon have been reported.

Sacrifices may be necessary to make sure that all these things happen in an orderly, efficient way. But this administration has never been one to counsel sacrifice. And nothing about the president's demeanor yesterday - which seemed casual to the point of carelessness - suggested that he understood the depth of the current crisis.

While our attention must now be on the Gulf Coast's most immediate needs, the nation will soon ask why New Orleans's levees remained so inadequate. Publications from the local newspaper to National Geographic have fulminated about the bad state of flood protection in this beloved city, which is below sea level. Why were developers permitted to destroy wetlands and barrier islands that could have held back the hurricane's surge? Why was Congress, before it wandered off to vacation, engaged in slashing the budget for correcting some of the gaping holes in the area's flood protection?

It would be some comfort to think that, as Mr. Bush cheerily announced, America "will be a stronger place" for enduring this crisis. Complacency will no longer suffice, especially if experts are right in warning that global warming may increase the intensity of future hurricanes. But since this administration won't acknowledge that global warming exists, the chances of leadership seem minimal.

A man covers the body of a man who died Thursday outside the Convention Center in New Orleans

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

"I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees." - President Bush, September 1, 2005

Quote:

It was a broiling August afternoon in New Orleans, Louisiana, the Big Easy, the City That Care Forgot. Those who ventured outside moved as if they were swimming in tupelo honey. Those inside paid silent homage to the man who invented air-conditioning as they watched TV "storm teams" warn of a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. Nothing surprising there: Hurricanes in August are as much a part of life in this town as hangovers on Ash Wednesday.

But the next day the storm gathered steam and drew a bead on the city. As the whirling maelstrom approached the coast, more than a million people evacuated to higher ground. Some 200,000 remained, however--the car-less, the homeless, the aged and infirm, and those die-hard New Orleanians who look for any excuse to throw a party.

The storm hit Breton Sound with the fury of a nuclear warhead, pushing a deadly storm surge into Lake Pontchartrain. The water crept to the top of the massive berm that holds back the lake and then spilled over. Nearly 80 percent of New Orleans lies below sea level--more than eight feet below in places--so the water poured in. A liquid brown wall washed over the brick ranch homes of Gentilly, over the clapboard houses of the Ninth Ward, over the white-columned porches of the Garden District, until it raced through the bars and strip joints on Bourbon Street like the pale rider of the Apocalypse. As it reached 25 feet (eight meters) over parts of the city, people climbed onto roofs to escape it.

Thousands drowned in the murky brew that was soon contaminated by sewage and industrial waste. Thousands more who survived the flood later perished from dehydration and disease as they waited to be rescued. It took two months to pump the city dry, and by then the Big Easy was buried under a blanket of putrid sediment, a million people were homeless, and 50,000 were dead. It was the worst natural disaster in the history of the United States.

When did this calamity happen? It hasn't--yet. But the doomsday scenario is not far-fetched. The Federal Emergency Management Agency lists a hurricane strike on New Orleans as one of the most dire threats to the nation, up there with a large earthquake in California or a terrorist attack on New York City.

- National Geographic, October, 2004

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Nadler plans bankruptcy bill in Katrina's wake
by Erik Engquist
Four Democratic members of Congress including Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-Manhattan, plan to introduce a bill that would make it easier for victims of Hurricane Katrina to declare bankruptcy.

A bankruptcy reform law that passed earlier this year and takes effect on October 17 imposes new hurdles for people seeking to escape their debts through bankruptcy. Democrats had offered an amendment carving out an exception for victims of natural disaster, but it was defeated on a party-line vote.

The bill’s sponsors believe the measure has a better chance in Katrina’s wake.

“We are concerned that just as survivors of Hurricane Katrina are beginning to rebuild their lives, the new bankruptcy law will result in a further and unintended financial whammy,” Nadler and his colleagues said in a statement. “The new law is likely to have the consequence of preventing devastated families from being able to obtain relief from massive and unexpected new financial obligations they are incurring and by forcing them to repay their debt with income they no longer have, but which is counted by the law.”

The other sponsors are Reps. John Conyers, Jr., D-Mich., Mel Watt, D-N.C., and Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas. They plan to introduce the bill on Tuesday.

Quote:

New bankruptcy law a problem for Katrina victims

By Jonathan Stempel

NEW YORK, Sept 1 (Reuters) - Hurricane Katrina is expected to cause a spurt of bankruptcy filings by storm victims -- and sweeping changes in U.S. bankruptcy laws may leave them even more strapped than they otherwise might be.

The Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act, which takes effect Oct. 17, includes a slew of rules and restrictions intended to curb abuse. These are expected to make it harder for individuals to file to keep creditors away, and more difficult for businesses to reorganize.

But the law wasn't directed at people who file because of catastrophes such as Katrina, in which people lost homes, businesses and perhaps months of regular paychecks. Katrina has caused widespread devastation in Louisiana and Mississippi and left New Orleans, population 462,269, virtually uninhabitable.

"People who are seriously affected by this hurricane are not going to be able to file bankruptcy by October 17," said Henry Sommer, co-editor of "Collier on Bankruptcy," a leading reference work. "They have more pressing things in their lives, like survival."

Michigan's John Conyers, the ranking Democrat on the U.S. House of Representatives' Judiciary Committee, and three other House members pledged to soon introduce legislation to provide flexibility for victims of natural disasters in bankruptcy.

Conyers' aides said legislation may be introduced next week, but aides to House Republicans said the law doesn't need amending because it only cracks down on abuse. Aides to Sen. Russ Feingold, a Wisconsin Democrat, said he might try to postpone the Oct. 17 implementation date.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Some choice highlights.

Quote:

Koppel {on the number of people at the convention center -- the mayor says 15000 to 25,000 and FEMA says 5000): One of you is wrong. It's either 5000 or 15,000. Do you know?

Brown of FEMA: blah blah blah. 25,000.... We just learned of the convention center -- we being the federal government -- today.

Koppel: I've heard you say during the course of a number of interviews that you found out about the convention center today. Don't you guys watch television? Don't you guys listen to the radio? Our reporters have been reporting on it for more than just today.

Brown of FEMA: We learned about it FACTUALLY today that that's what existed.

Koppel: Here we are essentially FIVE DAYS after the storm hit and you're talking about what's going to happen in the next couple of days.... You didn't make preparations for what was going to happen in the event that [a category four storm hit]. Why didn't you?

Quote:

"This is a national emergency. This is a national disgrace. FEMA has been here three days, yet there is no command and control. We can send massive amounts of aid to tsunami victims, but we can't bail out the city of New Orleans."

- Terry Ebbert, New Orleans Homeland Security Director

Anderson Cooper rips, rips, rips Senator Mary Landrieu (D-LA)

Quote:

COOPER: Joining me from Baton Rouge is Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu. Senator, appreciate you joining us tonight. Does the federal government bear responsibility for what is happening now? Should they apologize for what is happening now?

SEN. MARY LANDRIEU (D), LOUISIANA: Anderson, there will be plenty of time to discuss all of those issues, about why, and how, and what, and if. But, Anderson, as you understand, and all of the producers and directors of CNN, and the news networks, this situation is very serious and it's going to demand all of our full attention through the hours, through the nights, through the days.

Let me just say a few things. Thank President Clinton and former President Bush for their strong statements of support and comfort today. I thank all the leaders that are coming to Louisiana, and Mississippi, and Alabama to our help and rescue.

We are grateful for the military assets that are being brought to bear. I want to thank Senator Frist and Senator Reid for their extraordinary efforts.

Anderson, tonight, I don't know if you've heard -- maybe you all have announced it -- but Congress is going to an unprecedented session to pass a $10 billion supplemental bill tonight to keep FEMA and the Red Cross up and operating.

COOPER: Excuse me, Senator, I'm sorry for interrupting. I haven't heard that, because, for the last four days, I've been seeing dead bodies in the streets here in Mississippi. And to listen to politicians thanking each other and complimenting each other, you know, I got to tell you, there are a lot of people here who are very upset, and very angry, and very frustrated.

And when they hear politicians slap -- you know, thanking one another, it just, you know, it kind of cuts them the wrong way right now, because literally there was a body on the streets of this town yesterday being eaten by rats because this woman had been laying in the street for 48 hours. And there's not enough facilities to take her up.

Do you get the anger that is out here?

LANDRIEU: Anderson, I have the anger inside of me. Most of the homes in my family have been destroyed. Our homes have been destroyed. I understand what you're saying, and I know all of those details. And the president of the United States knows those details.

COOPER: Well, who are you angry at?

LANDRIEU: I'm not angry at anyone. I'm just expressing that it is so important for everyone in this nation to pull together, for all military assets and all assets to be brought to bare in this situation.

And I have every confidence that this country is as great and as strong as we can be do to that. And that effort is under way.

COOPER: Well, I mean, there are a lot of people here who are kind of ashamed of what is happening in this country right now, what is -- ashamed of what is happening in your state, certainly.

And that's not to blame the people who are there. It's a desperate situation. But I guess, you know, who can -- I mean, no one seems to be taking responsibility.

I mean, I know you say there's a time and a place for, kind of, you know, looking back, but this seems to be the time and the place. I mean, there are people who want answers, and there are people who want someone to stand up and say, "You know what? We should have done more. Are all the assets being brought to bare?"

LANDRIEU: Anderson, Anderson...

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
So many words, but he's not really saying anything.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
You know, if I was half the partisan that whomod thinks I am, I should be cheering the fact that "Anderson Cooper rips, rips, rips Senator Mary Landrieu (D-LA) ". Instead I find it really upsetting that Cooper would act like that.

The woman thanked someone for help. Maybe there could, or should, have been more help. I dunno. But common human decency says you thank people for what they do to help.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Maybe it's not as common as we'd like to think?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
I'm wondering when those times for politics finally roll around.

no you're not. every ID you have brings them out as soon as possible, in every situation.

and, honestly, most times, i just ignore it as simple "whatevers" because you're clearly overtly dedicated to this religion. there are similar posters on the other side of the coin that i give similar personal reactions to.

in this case, however... for whatever reason, be it the enormous tragedy or the immediacy of your reactions... i just find it to be intollerable and unforgivable that you focus on, say, the blame game, rather than, say, helping out a fellow man.

the death toll hasn't even been calculated yet, and you've already got the whole issue solved?

fucking congrats.

Quote:

unrestrained id said:
It's predictable that you don't want your hero Bush to face ...

you've read my thoughts on many a post, even responded to some under a variety of names. you know, by now, i couldn't give a fuck about dubya any more or less than other politicians.

my point is not who you're targetting -- my point is that you are targetting.

why not pour this passion into, god forbid, helping out rather than "it happened because..."

make it partisan next week. blame me and my dubya-lovin ways on monday. do whatcha can to

Quote:

Great Web Article said:
help out

in the meantime.

giant picture
Rob #562198 2005-09-02 3:35 AM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Ph34r Gob.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
500+ posts
500+ posts
You mean pressing for REAL answers should be frowned upon? This is the worst response to a disaster I’ve ever heard of. You don't think anyone should be called on it? Especially when there's still time to help others?

Like Rob, you seem to think the APPROPRIATE response is to sit at home and simply wring your hands and nod your head and perhaps send money.

I look at what is happening, what was not done, the lack of planning, the lack of vision or comprehension of what could happen, at the Federal level, and I think I see better how Iraq went so cowpie. No real planning, no understanding. Where are the food drops? Water drops?

Someone needs to send in the U.N.

No, seriously.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
You mean pressing for REAL answers should be frowned upon?...Especially when there's still time to help others?

Answers?!? You can't lend a hand if you're pointing fingers all the time! Don't act like you give a damn about this. You probably started hunting for some scrap of quasi-journalism that let you pin the blame on dubya as soon as the weatherman said Katrina was coming back. And you probably just about creamed your pants when you found it.

I have no interest in defending the President. I have quite a bit of interest in you shutting the fuck up so people who actually care about this disaster can discuss it in a civilized manner.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Another whomod pile-on.

Some things never change.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
So sitting around blaming people is going to fix that?
What happened happened. Nothing can change that. You need to learn how to deal with reality. The best we can do now is send money to support the relief efforts and plan ahead for further disasters. Stop blaming and do something.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
please note, i do not "frown upon pressing for REAL answers." do you really think that is what i'm saying? to clarify: finding answers is important. extraordinarily important. ... tomorrow.

c'mon, you don't think that has to take a back seat for the next, oh, 24 hours? 48? there aren't more important things to take care of first? the blame game can, and will, go on forever, and the indeterminable answers will always be the same. if bush is the demonic cause behind all this, will discussing it now make any more difference than discussing it next thursday? can we wait until after labor day to call this natural disaster the latest iraq war? or "vietnam III"?

my main disagreement is not with your fault finding -- its with immediate, knee-jerk reaction in fault finding. "bush didn't lower global sea level, people died!" etc. its disgraceful. hell, there are normally people on this very board here to agree or disagree with you that are not here right now because they're directly affected by this. but pointing a finger, and then high-fiving yourself for pointing said finger, is more important than worrying about them, right?

shouldn't the priority be helping out? being sad? worried? expressing your concerns over the loss of life, or the loss of states? is it so shameful to think the "APPROPRIATE" response is to send money for helping out?

can we leave politics to tomorrow and, instead, sorta unite as a weird collection of people just really upset and/or worried and/or scared and/or concerned with what just happened?

giant picture
rex #562204 2005-09-02 3:55 AM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That's the thing: who knows if added preparation and funds really could have made a difference?

The people of Louisana had only two days to evacuate. How many buses and ambulances could have gotten in and out of the area in time? The hurricane hit with such force, that I can't imagine much could have been done to slow or minimize it's damage.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I've just spent the last four days surviving on puddle water through a coffee filter, and anything my stomach could safely digest. 108 degree days, and sweat-covered, mosquito-ridden nights of the darkest night you've never seen. My apartment was ripped to shreds. It took me three days to get to family in South Carolina.

I hate George Bush. I think he's the anti-christ. But, right now, I could give a fuck. We need to get the UN and foreign aid for this. It's devastation. And sitting on a message board debating who's at fault is simply pointless.

Let's get some relief down there first. Then we can mercilessly beat whoever's fault it is....

25+ posts
25+ posts
There are worse people than political character assassins taking advantage of the disaster in New Orleans. White supremacists are literally rejoicing in the death toll among non-whites in New Orleans, accusing the so-called Jewish media of exaggerating how bad the damage is, and deriding charity organizations who give money to non-whites.

I got this from the American Defamation League's website. It's a bit too long to post here, but here's the link: http://www.adl.org/PresRele/DiRaB_41/4786_41.htm

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

MisterJLA said:
That's the thing: who knows if added preparation and funds really could have made a difference?

seconded. everyone imagined it would be a rough storm, but no one imagined the extent of the damage that would be done. ill also second my brother on the subject of waiting to discuss whos "fault" it is. there will always be the people who need to blame someone else during harder times. like people who sue someone for "emotional pain" after a love one passes. the money doesnt make you feel any better and i dont see why blaming someone would either. whats happened, has happened. regardless, what needs to happen now is people need to focus on helping one another.

ive been watching the news about the hurricane days before it happened. one of my best friends is from lousiana. his immediate family moved up here four years ago, but he moved back down to go to college. all of the rest of his family lives down there right in new orleans, including his gramma whom i stayed with last october after going to the voodoo festival right in the city -which i was also planning on going to again this october

i was getting sick over the thought of what would happen to any of them and their homes, and everyone in the city. good old ellen degeneres said it best when she talked about how devasting the whole situation is. even on a materialistic level, i also agreed with how she mentioned that they just dont build houses like they did down there, anymore. new orleans has such a strong personality- like no other city in this country. so much history and character.

for me, i dont throw anything away. i keep relating the situation to myself. if i had been fortunate enough to evacute, and i had all of 5 minutes left in my house, what would be the one thing i grab. and there are so many things i would want to take. so many things i want to pass down to my family. i jsut cant imagine all those people who have nothing. who are poor and lost their jobs and houses and how they have to start all over. or the people who lost their family.

the whole thing is just so horrible. its like complete chaos. as if it wasnt bad enough that the whole event happened. now there are snipers and rapists and looters. its just awful. all the people who worked so hard to build up the areas and make them so much nicer than they have been in past decades. all i do now is watch and listen to the news and it makes me so sad that i cant do anything. any amount of money i can donate just doesnt feel like im helping. i want so badly to go down there and volunteer time, but since im going to school and now because its so ridiculously unsafe there, it makes it impossible

thats my essay

Pariah186 (7:19:40 PM): Resident Evil 2 powns Pariah186 (7:19:40 PM): Resident Evil 2 powns Pariah186 (7:19:40 PM): Resident Evil 2 powns Pariah186 (7:19:40 PM): Resident Evil 2 powns
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Relief workers confront 'urban warfare'

I seriously think that anyone who fucks with or interferes with a relief worker should be shot on sight and their corpse hung from the nearest street light.

Bastards.

Not one confirmation of interference in that article by authorities, and yet you're ready to hang people?

Now the snipers from the other CNN article deserve some of your sensible, Southern brand of justice!

Also, G-Man, what difference is LA's law make martial law not legally recognized?

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
I've just spent the last four days surviving on puddle water through a coffee filter, and anything my stomach could safely digest. 108 degree days, and sweat-covered, mosquito-ridden nights of the darkest night you've never seen. My apartment was ripped to shreds. It took me three days to get to family in South Carolina.

I hate George Bush. I think he's the anti-christ. But, right now, I could give a fuck. We need to get the UN and foreign aid for this. It's devastation. And sitting on a message board debating who's at fault is simply pointless.

Let's get some relief down there first. Then we can mercilessly beat whoever's fault it is....

Hang in there Pro.....let us know if you need anything.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
Someone needs to send in the U.N.

theory9 #562211 2005-09-02 10:43 AM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

theory9 said:Now the snipers from the other CNN article deserve some of your sensible, Southern brand of justice!

I actually considered them as part of the group I was referenceing earlier as deserving of killing.

Quote:

Also, G-Man, what difference is LA's law make martial law not legally recognized?

From what I've read, while LA does not have the term "martial law," per se, they have basically the same doctrine under a different name, which doctrine allows for the suspension of civil liberties in times of grave emeregency.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard