Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
They keep calling it Patriot's Day which sounds like Independence Day (though really it wasn't. we fought a brutal war for years after we signed the declaration, except Mxy who isn't American even a little bit).

Thoughts?

Bow ties are coool.
500+ posts
500+ posts
Yeah it would.

I'd also consider changing the name of that day to "Rememberance Day" or something.

As with "United We Stand", the phrase "Patriots Day" IMO is only pretty much used by right wingers (as most events in my area at least are used as flimsy excuses for pro-Bush rallies rather than actually solemnly remembering 9/11) and you're only a "Patriot" or "united" if you support the Bush agenda. The Iraq war being the most prominent issue.

Rememberance Day IMO is a bit harder to politicize as it does what the name says, remember 9/11. Because f I don't support this bullshit 9/11-Iraq linkage or George W. Bush for that matter, am I then not a "patriot"?

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I'm sure you're a patriot of somewhere...

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
So far, I think the apellation, "9-11" is going to stick for a very, very long time.

Mention "Nov. 22" to anyone of my parents' generation and they know what it's referring to.

We all wear a green carnation.
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
Yeah it would.

I'd also consider changing the name of that day to "Rememberance Day" or something.

As with "United We Stand", the phrase "Patriots Day" IMO is only pretty much used by right wingers (as most events in my area at least are used as flimsy excuses for pro-Bush rallies rather than actually solemnly remembering 9/11) and you're only a "Patriot" or "united" if you support the Bush agenda. The Iraq war being the most prominent issue.

Rememberance Day IMO is a bit harder to politicize as it does what the name says, remember 9/11. Because f I don't support this bullshit 9/11-Iraq linkage or George W. Bush for that matter, am I then not a "patriot"?

I think you can still be against Bush and the Iraq war and still feel a loss for the people that died n 9/11......what difference does a name make.......I'm not thrilled with patriots Day either but who really cares. People's hatred for Bush make it hard for them to accept anything that comes from the administraion......but this is one example where everybody should just put their differences aside and show a little respect for some poor people that were killed 'cause a bunch of Arabs thought it would be fun.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Patriot's Day is a title that sounds exploitive. It invokes flag waving and presidential speeches.
Actually, the title Rememberance Day is more appropriate.

Bow ties are coool.
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to call these guys Patriots..

or them

or them....

these people didn't ask for this.....but the least we could do is remember them......whether you agree with the name or not.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
so in short r3x .......I know you hate Bush.....but Bush didn't cause 9/11.....so here are some of the faces that you mock.

all because of a few scum arabs

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

and i never said we shouldn't remember the victims, i questioned the flag waving name.

Bow ties are coool.
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
I tend to agree with PJP, and I think r3x's point is valid: we should seek to honor the memory of those who died without politicizing it. I'm a firm believer that words have meaning, and should be chosen very carefully.

I think Patriots' Day is a little too over-the-top, since practically every person who loves their country could be considered a patriot. It also saps some meaning from the word (IMO) because everytime someone gets killed, they're usually described as a patriot. Day of Remembrance or Day of Reflection make more sense to me, even if people ultimately don't take things like this too seriously.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quote:

theory9 said:
I tend to agree with PJP, and I think r3x's point is valid: we should seek to honor the memory of those who died without politicizing it. I'm a firm believer that words have meaning, and should be chosen very carefully.

I think Patriots' Day is a little too over-the-top, since practically every person who loves their country could be considered a patriot. It also saps some meaning from the word (IMO) because everytime someone gets killed, they're usually described as a patriot. Day of Remembrance or Day of Reflection make more sense to me, even if people ultimately don't take things like this too seriously.

very good I approve......

like I said....I am not a fan of the name Patriot's Day either....but that isn't what's important.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Patriot's Day is a title that sounds exploitive. It invokes flag waving and presidential speeches.

I agree with you.............another thing is why even give it a name it will always be remembered as 9/11.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
They keep calling it Patriot's Day which sounds like Independence Day (though really it wasn't. we fought a brutal war for years after we signed the declaration, except Mxy who isn't American even a little bit).

Thoughts?

Ray, California was never a British Colony! July 4th is, well, somebody's independence day but not OURS (I'm a native).

That would be .... TODAY! On this day in 1821 we, as part of Mexico, through off the yoke of our Spanish oppressors. As of 1849 we now live in Occupied Alta California. But that's no reason not to head to the Mission, Drink cervezas, tequila shooters, eat tapas and dance salsa till you puke!

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Thoughts?

Ray, California was never a British Colony! July 4th is, well, somebody's independence day but not OURS (I'm a native).

That would be .... TODAY! On this day in 1821 we, as part of Mexico, through off the yoke of our Spanish oppressors. As of 1849 we now live in Occupied Alta California. But that's no reason not to head to the Mission, Drink cervezas, tequila shooters, eat tapas and dance salsa till you puke!

I hate the Mission. except for Zeitgeist. that's a great bar.

Bow ties are coool.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

I recall that line being used in the excellent film, PATHS OF GLORY, starring Kirk Douglas as a French Colonel in the trenches in WWI.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Thoughts?

Maybe you should check out Esta Noche on 16th & Valencia

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

I agree with you.............another thing is why even give it a name it will always be remembered as 9/11.

Indeed.

How many people actually say "Independence Day" instead of "July 4" or "4th of July"?

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
I actually the name "Remembrance Day" better, but since that is an alternate term for "Veteran's Day" (and the OFFICIAL name for Veteran's day in Canada) it would probably never be called that.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
I wonder if they'll ever make an official day for the people of the Gulf Coast.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:

What Would Master P Do?

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:

Maybe for awhile. We have a commemeration of the 1906 eartquake. The survivors meet at Lotta's Fountain on Market St. at 5:13 AM on April 18 every year. The numbers are dwindling. Next year anyone even alive will be 100 years old. But there are a few that come every year. Perhaps New Orleans will have a simaler tribute.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Thoughts?

Getting drunk in the mission is like being the only white guy in a harlem whore house after midnight saying "hitler had some good points."

Me and my friends generally hit Vesuvios on Columbus by Kearny.

Bow ties are coool.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Thoughts?

Getting drunk in the mission is like being the only white guy in a harlem whore house after midnight saying "hitler had some good points."

Me and my friends generally hit Vesuvios on Columbus by Kearny.

North Beach? What are you a fuckin' tourist? Grow some balls and see the world or at least The City. Pussy!

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I spent a week doing volunteer work in the Tenderloin. After that, North Beach didn't look that bad for a tourist trap. Chinatown's okay if you're not going alone. It's a damn circus if you don't know your way around there though.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
I spent a week doing volunteer work in the Tenderloin. After that, North Beach didn't look that bad for a tourist trap. Chinatown's okay if you're not going alone. It's a damn circus if you don't know your way around there though.

The Tenderloin invokes sadness in me. So much misery surrounded by great opulance and wealth. North Beach is a tourist trap, though. "Hey Marjarie, lets go see where the beatnicks used to live". Chinatown, too. There are neighborhoods I avoid but the Mission District is not one of them. It's very colorful and festive for the most part. There are certain color combinations you may want avoid but I would and have travelled there after dark.

It's more like Fantasy Island than circus, though. Just keep in mind it's really small. Just 7 miles square. You can't get too lost!

Thanks for helpin' out!

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
I used to go play kino in Chinatown when I lived across the bay...

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

The Tenderloin invokes sadness in me. So much misery surrounded by great opulance and wealth. North Beach is a tourist trap, though. "Hey Marjarie, lets go see where the beatnicks used to live". Chinatown, too. There are neighborhoods I avoid but the Mission District is not one of them. It's very colorful and festive for the most part. There are certain color combinations you may want avoid but I would and have travelled there after dark.

It's more like Fantasy Island than circus, though. Just keep in mind it's really small. Just 7 miles square. You can't get too lost!

Thanks for helpin' out!

I've been through the entire mission at night, it's just not my scene and I wouldn't want to drink there.
I like North Beach (and the powell area) because I live on Market an prefer bars that are easy to walk/stumble to and from.

Bow ties are coool.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

Thanks for helpin' out!

I've been through the entire mission at night, it's just not my scene and I wouldn't want to drink there.
I like North Beach (and the powell area) because I live on Market an prefer bars that are easy to walk/stumble to and from.

Fuckin' poser!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
My friends are moving back to Seattle because they couldn't find a house in SF where they worked. The median house value is $700k and even then the availablility is nil.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
That's why I left Berkeley--too friggin' expensive...

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Fuck...PJP....It's been awhile since I've seen images from that day. I got shivers just looking at them.

Not a day to forget.

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
My friends are moving back to Seattle because they couldn't find a house in SF where they worked. The median house value is $700k and even then the availablility is nil.

$700M won't get you a nice house, though. A nice house (and I don't mean a mansion) costs a million or more. We'll remain a city of renters until the Oakland-Hayward urban renewal project happens. 8.0 and it all has to go!

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
As long as they leave some space in the Presidio. Two centuries from now, Starfleet Command is gonna need room to build there.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Well, George Lucas just built Skywalker Ranch Annex over there. Is that close enough?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
No.

Damn sellout Lucas.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
As long as they leave some space in the Presidio. Two centuries from now, Starfleet Command is gonna need room to build there.

should there be a day of rememberance for the Breen's terrorist attack on SF?

Bow ties are coool.
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Fuck yes. Those frigid bastards!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ

Link Copied to Clipboard