15000+ posts
OP Offline
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
not bad. would've preferred Welling and a Smallville movie thought.

Bow ties are coool.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
OP Offline
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
That's probably because you're gay.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I really hope John Williams is doing the music score for this one.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
He is. Singer said it woundn't be a superman movie without the John Williams score.
Its one of the few things I think Singer is doing right with this movie.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
OP Offline
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
The orchestral bits at the end of the trailer sound like variations of the Superman theme.

Singer said he tried using the Lois theme, but it made the scene look too corny.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
this... actually... reminds me of the batman begins trailer.

bruce falling in to the cave

the "where'd you go" notion of bruce leaving and searching (metaphorically) within

being the last of the waynes, but not alone (alfred)

rooftop shot of what looks like a spotlight/batsignal

hero flying up (instead of down) towards the camera for the quick money shot.

giant picture
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Kevin Spacey may end up being the only thing going for this one.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Kevin Spacey may end up being the only thing going for this one.

thats the only other thing I like about this movie so far.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I was always in favor of casting an unknown as Superman(I was saying that years ago, actually), so I suppose I can't complain about this Routh guy.

I can and will complain about Kate Bosworth, though. That casting pretty much guaranteed that the long streak of worthless lead female characters in comic book movies won't be broken.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I actually don't give a shit about the John Williams score. It's a mistake to try and craft this movie to 25 year old films, they should've started from scratch.

Bow ties are coool.
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
My take so far?

meh.

He fixes the cable?
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
kevin spacey is a hack of an actor. also i dont really believe anyone looks forward to a movie by who they picked to do the score. i think rex is trying to sounds artsy fartsy.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
I actually don't give a shit about the John Williams score. It's a mistake to try and craft this movie to 25 year old films, they should've started from scratch.

Agreed. Every generation needs their Superman. The Reeve/Donner Superman movie was my generation's. Let's give the new generation their Superman and stop trying to relive our childhood.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
kevin spacey is a hack of an actor. also i dont really believe anyone looks forward to a movie by who they picked to do the score. i think rex is trying to sounds artsy fartsy.

bsams said it, so you know it's true.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Agreed. Every generation needs their Superman. The Reeve/Donner Superman movie was my generation's. Let's give the new generation their Superman and stop trying to relive our childhood.

Agreed and agreed.

Hey I actually liked the '70's King Kong film. Should I be pissed that Peter Jackson didn't simply continue it? Of course not.... Same with Superman. Who gives a fuck if we may have to revisit the origin. I actually think that's a GOOD THING. Cheesy glitter Logans Run Krypton I can do without. A modern completely different CGI Krypton would rule! As it stands now though, we still have Brando as Jor-El which means we still have cheesy '70's glitter Krypton.

By the by, is it now officilly too late to reconsider Brandon Routh??

How 'bout that costume?

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

500+ posts
500+ posts
On the plus side of that trailer, that "S" shield at the very end looked incredible! There was something almost Fleisher about it. The very dark blue background, the very bright red "S". It looked completely Golden Age!

So the obvious question is why didn't the actual costume in the trailer resemble the color scheme of the logo?

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
I really, really don't understand all the bitching here. Batman has a new costume in every fucking movie...and people rave about that shit. But this Superman costume (which has all of the essential elements) is a fucking problem?

The suit looks great, the trailer looks great (really, this is the first time Superman has looked interesting in years)....What the fuck is everyone whining about?

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Agreed and agreed.

{SNIP}

By the by, is it now officilly too late to reconsider Brandon Routh?? How 'bout that costume?

wull this is why there isn't new music... cuz any time something differs from the original, there's controversy and people flip out.

wanna go back to the beyonce-as-lois years? we're not that far from them.

its lose-lose.

i prefer the 70s costume, but im fine with this one. i loved the 70s music, so im thrilled they're keeping it. im fine with the 70s movies being the origin, so i'm glad they're moving on with new stories here.

yeah, i have my little "i wish they changed this" bits about the movie, just as i did with batman begins. but, what the fuck, it still looks pretty good overall from what little i've seen.

and you know you're sure as fuck gonna go see it in theaters!

giant picture
500+ posts
500+ posts
True. that goes without saying. And I feel that it may yet actually be a pretty good flick.

The points that were made previously about wanting it to not simply be a continuation of the '70's movies I think are valid ones. for all the reasons given already PLUS I think the most important one is that Brandon Routh already is going to be in Christopher Reeves shadow. That's unavoidable I beleive.

Now however, we've had other Supermen come after Reeve, most notably Tom Welling and Dean Cain. They managed pretty well in their own right based on the fact that they were TV based shows AND that they wearn't in any way connected to the Superman films.

Now given the fact that Routh already has mixed reaction out there, I can't for the life of me see the logic of further handicapping him and setting him up for comparisons to Reeve, comparisons that I don't think ANYONE can live up to, by saying that no, he's not ANOTHER Superman, but he's THE SAME EXACT SUPERMAN. HE'S CHRISTOPHER REEVE'S SUPERMAN! He's the same guy from the 70's-80's movies!

I just think that's putting a overly great burden on his shoulders. A burden that IMO was completely unnecessary. And one that I have some doubts that he can rise above.

Of course though, it remains to be seen...

As it stands, the cinematography (apart from that Supes/Lois rooftop scene which looks like a total soundstage) looks exquisite. Details like the costume's "S" shield and the low cut briefs are minor annoyances.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Eeets not ah traylah!!

It's just a montage of Brian's online blogs. Don't be fooled.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
OP Offline
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I was told it wasn't official when I got the link, but I don't see how that's relevant. It may not be played in theatres but it's still made from actual movie material.

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
I'm stoked about this shit. I dont have the colective 8 month boner that we all did for Batman Begins but I'm still lookin forward to seeing Superman beat the shit outta stuff in killer 21st century CGI. Gawdamn, people.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Agreed and agreed.

{SNIP}

By the by, is it now officilly too late to reconsider Brandon Routh?? How 'bout that costume?

wull this is why there isn't new music... cuz any time something differs from the original, there's controversy and people flip out.

wanna go back to the beyonce-as-lois years? we're not that far from them.

its lose-lose.

i prefer the 70s costume, but im fine with this one. i loved the 70s music, so im thrilled they're keeping it. im fine with the 70s movies being the origin, so i'm glad they're moving on with new stories here.

yeah, i have my little "i wish they changed this" bits about the movie, just as i did with batman begins. but, what the fuck, it still looks pretty good overall from what little i've seen.

and you know you're sure as fuck gonna go see it in theaters!

you're talking about going from one extreme to the other.
from being a direct follow up to 25 year old movies (that really aren't so impressive when put up against current films) or throwing out all the main elements and tweaking every little thing about the story.
they can do a Superman story that is still fresh and standalone.

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
I really, really don't understand all the bitching here. Batman has a new costume in every fucking movie...and people rave about that shit. But this Superman costume (which has all of the essential elements) is a fucking problem?

The suit looks great, the trailer looks great (really, this is the first time Superman has looked interesting in years)....What the fuck is everyone whining about?

it's one of those odd things. Batman hanges his costume all the time and the changes last for quite awhile, but the second they add black to Superman's S then it's only a matter of months before it reverts back to the original.

Bow ties are coool.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
OP Offline
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
They've said it's not as much as sequel as it is only vaguely connected to the other movies. So, if you want, you can connect em in your mind, and if the connection annoys you for some reason, you can ignore it and still enjoy the movie as a standalone flick. I doubt they'll be referencing specific moments of the old movies, plus connection or not it's still clearly a new interpretation of the character, and in the end that's what matters.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
from being a direct follow up to 25 year old movies -- or throwing out all the main elements and tweaking every little thing about the story.

yer arguing against what, now?

as far as i can tell, this upcoming movie acknowledges the originals, even uses similar elements, but stands alone and moves forward. i see no problem with that. i actually think thats the right way to do it.

this year's star wars movie wrapped up a nearly 30 year old storyline, all while being its own film. james bond movies use similar tuxes adn tunes throughout 40+ years of history.

giant picture
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
from being a direct follow up to 25 year old movies -- or throwing out all the main elements and tweaking every little thing about the story.

yer arguing against what, now?

as far as i can tell, this upcoming movie acknowledges the originals, even uses similar elements, but stands alone and moves forward. i see no problem with that. i actually think thats the right way to do it.

this year's star wars movie wrapped up a nearly 30 year old storyline, all while being its own film. james bond movies use similar tuxes adn tunes throughout 40+ years of history.

A. Star Wars is supposed to be a continuing story.
B. JamesBond movies are self-contained for the most part.

Singer has said this film is essentially his "Superman III" a direct sequel to the first two Reeves films. THey're even using footage of Brando as Jor-El.

Bow ties are coool.
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
but why can't this be a continuing story? why can't there be similar elements?

those concepts don't, by default or on their own, take away from a new film.

giant picture
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
but why can't this be a continuing story? why can't there be similar elements?

those concepts don't, by default or on their own, take away from a new film.

The base elements of Superman being the same are fine (needed in fact), but if this is a direct sequel as Singer's stated then that raises the problem for younger viewers who don't really remember the Reeves movies.
Are we going to have Lois say Superman left shortly after defeating Zod (and vowing to the President he would never leave again)?

Bow ties are coool.
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
well, granted, this is all speculation, but...

as far as i know, there's nothing making the first two movies necessary. if you've seen'em, great. if not, no biggie. all of the major elements needed to be driven home can be accessed via "flashbacks" or various retellings and sum-ups.

similarly, seeing the first movie wasn't necessary to enjoy and understand the second.

giant picture
200+ posts
200+ posts
The official website is up. And quite frankly, it's awesome...for something put together in your 11th grade computer class. Hopefully it'll get some kick-ass features in the coming months. Also, the teaser trailer will be attached to the new Harry Potter. So there. Thanks to the ever-vigilent folks at superherohype.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
link please.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Its impossible to link to your ass through the internet.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
The official site:

http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/

Story:

Quote:

Following a mysterious absence of several years, the Man of Steel comes back to Earth in the epic action-adventure Superman Returns, a soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world's most beloved superheroes. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman's bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer space.

Directed by Bryan Singer (X2: X-Men United, X-Men, The Usual Suspects), SUPERMAN RETURNS stars newcomer Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth (Beyond the Sea, Blue Crush), James Marsden (X2: X-Men United, The Notebook), Frank Langella (HBO's Unscripted), Academy Award-winner Eva Marie Saint (North By Northwest), Parker Posey (Best in Show), Sam Huntington (Detroit Rock City), Kal Penn (Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle) and Oscar-winner Kevin Spacey (Beyond the Sea, American Beauty, The Usual Suspects).
Warner Bros. Pictures presents a Jon Peters production in association with Bad Hat Harry Productions, a Bryan Singer film, Superman Returns, starring BRANDON ROUTH, KATE BOSWORTH, JAMES MARSDEN, FRANK LANGELLA, EVA MARIE SAINT, PARKER POSEY, SAM HUNTINGTON, KAL PENN and KEVIN SPACEY. Directed by BRYAN SINGER, the film is produced by JON PETERS, BRYAN SINGER and GILBERT ADLER. The executive producer is CHRIS LEE. The co-producer is STEPHEN JONES. The screenplay is by MICHAEL DOUGHERTY & DAN HARRIS, and the story is by BRYAN SINGER and MICHAEL DOUGHERTY & DAN HARRIS. The director of photography is NEWTON THOMAS SIGEL A.S.C.; the production designer is GUY DYAS; the film is edited by JOHN OTTMAN and ELLIOT GRAHAM; the costume designer is LOUISE MINGENBACH; and the music is by JOHN OTTMAN. The film is based upon Superman characters created by JERRY SIEGEL & JOE SHUSTER and published by DC Comics.

Superman Returns will be released on June 30, 2006 by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

Its also got some wallpapers and shit like that, no trailer yet.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Dear God,
Please let this movie not suck.
Your Pal,
Jeremy

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=33303

How Superman Resurrects Brando

Bryan Singer, producer-director of the upcoming Superman Returns, told SCI FI Wire that he used every trick in the book to resurrect the late Marlon Brando and include him in the film as Jor-El. Brando played the role of Superman's father in director Richard Donner's original 1978 Superman movie. He died in July 2004 at the age of 80.

To recreate Brando's version of the character in his new Superman movie, Singer said in an interview that he used "a combination of unused footage, [used] footage and recreated footage. You won't necessarily see Marlon Brando walking around or reanimated in a conventional sense, but you will hear [dialogue] that you have heard before [and] takes that you haven't heard before and a rendering that is completely new."

Singer added that the Brando sequences are being created with "very raw material" culled from a variety of sources and locales. "A lot of the stuff was all over the place," he said. "A lot of the stuff was in vaults in New York [and] in Los Angeles. I got ahold of Brando's London [automated dialogue replacement, or looping,] session. I had very interesting outtakes, which are something to see. So there's a lot of material. It's great [also] to hear ... Dick's [Donner's] voice on the ADR sessions, on the raw material. There are a few really funny moments—we called them 'Brando bloopers'—where you hear Dick and [an uncredited writer] Tom Mankiewicz in the background. It's cool." Superman Returns will open nationwide on June 30, 2006.

Meanwhile, Warner Brothers announced that the teaser trailer for Superman Returns will debut during The WB's Smallville, airing at 8 p.m. ET/PT on Nov. 17, and will hit theaters in select screenings of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which opens Nov. 18.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I think they should have a Marlon Brando VS Christopher Reeve battle. All in CGI. Then Bryan Singer should go and piss their graves.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
the reeve films weren't that great, even the first one is kind of stupid.

Bow ties are coool.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard