Next Thread
Print Thread
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051123/us_nm/science_brain_dc

Quote:

Ignoring useless information aids memory

LONDON (Reuters) - Filtering out useless information can help people increase their capacity to remember what is really important, researchers said on Wednesday.

Scientists at the University of Oregon in the United States have demonstrated that awareness, or visual working memory, does not depend on extra storage space in the brain but on an ability to ignore what is irrelevant.

"Until now, it's been assumed that people with high capacity visual working memory had greater storage, but actually it's about the bouncer -- a neural mechanism that controls what information gets into awareness," said Edward Vogel who headed the research team.

The findings reported in the journal Nature would overturn the accepted concept of memory capacity, which has suggested that how much a person can remember depends on the amount of information crammed into the brain at one time.

Vogel and his team believe the results could lead to better ways to enhance memory and improve the diagnosis and treatment of cognitive problems such as attention deficit disorder and schizophrenia.

I had something I wanted to post in response, but I forgot what it was.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
.... If we cared about something like that, we wouldn't be here.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
actually I use this in my daily routine all the time. And people are often stunned by the things and details I can remember.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I'd use this in school, but it seems like all they want you to know is useless information, with some important stuff tossed in for shits and giggles.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Scientists at the University of Oregon

That means its bullshit.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Pariah?

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
actually I use this in my daily routine all the time. And people are often stunned by the things and details I can remember.

Link Copied to Clipboard