Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts

E3 2006 - Wii - Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
by Matt Casamassina

• The Wii-mote's responsiveness enables gameplay situations simply not possible with dual-analog sticks - even with their sensitivity turned all the way up. Once I figured out what to do - how to hold the remote and how much pressure to apply for aiming and turning - I was able to run through the game's environments with considerably less trouble and occasionally I found myself kicking a little ass. You can manually aim or alternatively auto target with the press of a button, and I employed both methods to obliterate foes. It was during these situations that I transitioned from being engaged to being hooked. When you're on your game, pointing the Wii-mote at multiple enemies can be a breeze and it's an extremely intuitive and rewarding experience. Retro seems to understand this because as a whole Prime 3 features more combatants than ever before and the artificial intelligence of these characters has been vastly ramped up.

Retro is using the nunchuck's accelerometer in an interesting, surprisingly non-gimmicky way. It controls Aran's grappling beam. You simply gesture flick the unit forward and the heroine's beam springs outward. The beam is used offensively, too, which is a pleasing addition, to say the least. Some Space Pirates come fully equipped with shields that they stubbornly refuse to part with, and therefore you have to figure out a way to disarm them. The grappling beam does the trick. Flick gesture the nunchuck unit toward one of these creatures and her beam will blast toward them and grip their shield. Then, all you need do is press backward on the nunchuck unit's analog stick and you'll literally rip the shield away, exposing the Space Pirate. This process is all the more intuitive because it can be done completely separate from the aiming process - once you've mastered it, you'll notice yourself blasting at enemies as you tear shields off others.

The Wii-mote is likewise used in clever ways. The world in Prime 3 is of course littered with trademark doorways, many of which open when blasted. Some, however, don't - and you'll need to try a little harder to get past them. In a couple instances, I needed to use the Wii-mote to act as Aran's right arm. When I approached a doorway, I noticed a groove in a wall and learned that I could gesture forward with the Wii-mote to make Samus punch her arm into the groove. Then, I had to turn the remote as though it were a key in a lock, at which point Aran's arm did the same. Eventually, I needed to pull backward again, and here Samus grabbed hold of a level inside the door and - you guessed it - pulled it open, unlocking the contraption. The process was really well implemented and clever.

Some notes on the other controls. You do not, as previously suspected, make a stabbing motion with either controller to trigger the morphball. You simply press a button on the nunchuck and she drops. Neither do you control the morphball with the Wii-mote. It's done with the nunchuck's analog stick. Weapons are selected with the D-Pad on the Wii-remote and Samus shoots her blasters whenever you hit the A button. It all seems to work perfectly fine.

The fastest 10 minutes of my life were spent playing Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. When it was all over, I was reluctant t leave. The Nintendo people handling the demo first informed me that my time was up. I continued playing. They then asked me to finish up. I kept playing. Finally, they told me that I had to end the session and I begrudgingly agreed to accommodate their demands. It's a shame because I left the demo really liking some parts of Prime 3 and totally unsure about other portions. If I could have only had another half hour, or perhaps six hours, with the game, everything would surely be clear.

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
More Metroid 3 Secrets Unveiled
by Peer Schneider

In an interview with the Retro Studios team, IGN Wii learned today that Metroid Prime 3: Corruption will indeed be a launch game for Nintendo Wii. Developed from the ground up for the new platform and its unique controllers, Metroid will arrive alongside The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess offering up a first-party double punch when the console ships this holiday season.

Like its predecessors, the game will not feature an online mode for competitive multiplay -- however, support of the system's 24-hour-connection is under consideration. This would allow Nintendo to push upgrades and additional content to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption owners with wireless connections even when the console is switched off.

Retro Studios also confirmed that Metroid Prime 3 will depart from the light and dark world setup introduced in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and instead feature large areas to explore on multiple worlds. Though Samus will use her new gunship to travel between planets, players hoping to pilot Samus Aran's new gunship may be disappointed to hear that they will not be able to pilot the ship themselves. Travel between areas likely occurs only in cutscene form. That's not to say that the ship doesn't feature a large role in the game, however. Retro hinted at a new visor mode that lets Samus command her ship from the ground. For example, she can use the gunship uplink to blow up obstacles in her way and gain access to new areas.

Though the other visors are still being kept a secret, Retro did confirm that the X-Ray visor will return and play a bigger part in both combat and puzzle solving. Used in conjunction with a new beam that is able to shoot through walls, players will be able to detect obscured enemies and take them out safely.

The developer is also hard at work on polishing the graphics in the game to make it a noticeable step up over the previous titles. Retro has added new bloom effects and much more complex particle systems for even bigger fireworks. The target framerate for the final game is a smooth 60 frames per second.

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts

this was another one of the games i got to play, after another 600 hours waiting in line. it was also the one i most anticipated playing.

gamecube's "metroid prime" is my favorite game in the past, oh, 5+ years or so, and certainly one i'd gladly place in the all-time list. the style and presentation are amazing, with the most detailed environments and ambience i've ever experienced in a game. the story and perspective and atmospheres were just so damn flawlessly intertwined. great shit.

when "corruption" was announced last year, and footage was shown, i was actually somewhat disappointed. thats when 'revolution' was first deemed graphically inferior to the other two next-next gen systems, and it really showed -- prime 3 looked nearly identical to 1 and 2.

gone are those thoughts.

the game is beautiful. the framerate was insane. the attention to detail was spectacular. though, at first glance, and even when watching video of gameplay the day before, the game is noticeably built upon the same infrastructure, in person, there's such a tremendous upgrade. everything was gorgeous, and knowing that the demo i played will be nearly 10 months old by the game's final release, im sure it will get better still.

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts

but, again, fuck the graphics, fuck the sound. though the presentation in metroid prime games is, to me, top notch to all others.... the focus of nintendo's new system isn't about visuals or the audio, or any other form of video game candy. its the gameplay. aka the mother fucking gameplay.

this game, above all the other launch titles, was made for the new control structure.

samus' left hand is your left hand (the "nunchuck" controller). the joystick controls your movement, in strafe fashion -- i.e; up moves you forward, left moves you left (while facing forward) etc. one button controls jumping, the other morphing.

samus' right hand is your right hand (the "remote" controller). the trigger button underneath is your main weapon. the crosspad controls visors. moving the control left, right, diagnol or however is your sight.

thus, you can strafe left, with your left hand, but easily look all around, with your right hand, as quickly and as accurately as you'd like.

the first person perspective just got shitloads more fun.

the gameplay control was amazingly intuitive. natural actions and re-actions with your hands are instantly translated on-screen. swirling around to a charging enemy on your far right side was the same in the game as it would be for you -- just a simple matter of twisting your arm/gun/focus towards the alien. all the while easily backstepping with the standard joystick in your left hand.

the motion control in the left also came into play several times. samus' grappling beam is now thrown out similar to an indiana jones whip. as you swing your hand controller forward, the grappling beam shoots out. yanking your hand pack retracts the beam -- again, completely flawless in its action.

the one thing i did notice that sorta bugged me was the ability to pull off a quick 180. the nintendo helper hot chick (again, a recommended addition) said that this was still something retro was working on, and claimed to have resolved before the next build. barring that little change, i can't fucking wait for this game.

the precision and natural feel to this game was amazing -- now on a perfect par with how fantastically ambient the style was.

the first person perspective no longer had that one bold caveat of feeling "cramped" -- it was just amazing.

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
IGN talks with Retro Studios about the Wii-controlled finale to the Prime trilogy. Everything from game difficulty to visors and beams revealed.
by Matt Casamassina

IGN Wii: Why the name Metroid Prime 3: Corruption?

Mark Pacini: The idea behind the title is that in Prime 1 and Prime 2 we used Phazon as a way to explain what was happening on each planet. In Prime 1, the planet was corrupted by Phazon. In Prime 2, the Phazon caused the world to split into two on Aether. In Metroid Prime 3, we're trying to explain what the origins of Phazon were and it's the culmination of what this is all about. It's not only a story element - the Phazon and corruption which happen on a planetary scale - but it also happens in a gameplay sense as well. Samus herself gets corrupted by Phazon and actually begins to develop abilities based on that Phazon. So that's kind of why the game is titled Corruption. You yourself are becoming corrupted.

IGN Wii: How specifically is Samus corrupted?

Mark Pacini: After she becomes corrupted she is given the ability to kind of control that corruption. In previous games, as well as in Super Metroid, Samus had the ability toward the end of the game to go into a hyper mode. Well, now the player is going to have access to hyper mode throughout the game so that they can willingly go into hyper mode at any time based off of this Phazon ability. But the hyper mode serves as a pretty big game mechanic. On one hand, it gives you pretty powerful abilities. But on the other hand, it could kill you. So you have to manage that system as you're playing. When you initiate hyper mode, you actually have to balance how long you stay in it. At the price of being very powerful, you're also susceptible to possibly dying.

Click here for the full interview

giant picture
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168576.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1

No Metroid 3 before June confirmed
    Reggie Fils-Aime confirms what Samus fans feared--Metroid Prime 3: Corruption won't be available until the back end of 2007 at the earliest.
    By Tim Surette, GameSpot
    Posted Apr 4, 2007 10:45 am PT

The retail success of Nintendo's Wii has been one of the top stories in the gaming industry since the launch of the current crop of home consoles. Now, fanboys are focusing their attention on another critical aspect of Nintendo's turnaround--first-party games for the new system.

The lid has been kept tight on several of the company's familiar names, one being the latest in Nintendo's sci-fi series, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Nintendo's most recent slate of releases did not include the game even though back in December, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told Newsweek correspondent N'Gai Croal that it would be coming out "early in 2007."

Croal got a chance to catch up with Fils-Aime last month at GDC 2007, and in an interview posted yesterday asked him the obvious question: Where is Metroid?

"Metroid is not going to ship by June," said Fils-Aime. "And the fact with Metroid is we want to make sure that that game is perfect."

Fils-Aime points out that Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, released on the GameCube in 2004, didn't meet sales expectations even though it was well received by critics. "We want the sell-through as well as the critical acclaim for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption to be the best in the series, and that's a lofty bar," Fils-Aime explained. "To do that is taking a little bit more time than we had anticipated. But it's coming. And it will be great."

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
When this game comes out, I will buy a Wii.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Rob's the best Arcade Room mod ever!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
August 20th

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
August 20th

august 27

E3 2007: Metroid Prime 3 Details
by Nix & IGN Nintendo Team

• Nintendo showed off Metroid Prime 3: Corruption at its E3 2007 briefing. The game looked to be a true killer app for Wii, with beautiful graphics and very simple gameplay.

Showcased at the event was the gesture motions of the game. Although the Wii features a rather simple button set-up, the gameplay will be even more complex and easy to access on the Wii thanks to these gesture controls. Your visor views, for instance, are easy to change with just a click of the minus button and a coordinated gesture. You can also now lock-on to enemies but retain the ability to manually aim. Nintendo also briefly talked about Hyper Mode, which gives Samus great powers but can corrupt her -- to get through the game's challenges, you will need to balance your use of all of the different modes of Corruption.

Visually, the game looked incredible. Our Nintendo away team live at the show saw the game on the big screen and were fully blown away by the visual quality, with its incredibly detailed textures and 60fps running quality.

Look for more on Metroid Prime 3 for Wii later as E3 gets fully started.

new footage of metroid prime 3 found here

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption Trailer

Start Menu

giant picture
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
sweet...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
E3 2007: Hands-on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
by Matt Casamassina

• For some reason, Retro Studios' anticipated first-person adventure sequel, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, doesn't photograph well. Many of the officially released screenshots of the title look bland, a complaint raised all too often by message board addicts. But we've just compiled two hours with a two-level demonstration of the title and we can tell you, it sure looks good in motion. The game runs in 480 progressive-scan and true 16:9 widescreen mode, which is a first for the series. The artistic presentation of the space stations, craft and planets that make up the universe is very impressive, seemingly more on par with the original Prime than its purple-drenched sequel.

Textures are crisper and polished with extra effects such as specular highlights on Aran's ship, for example. Environments are larger and architecture more defined. And while it may seem trivial to some, the inclusion of bloom lighting goes a long way, as bright sources like lava and monitors now glow with welcomed style and realism. All of this and the title seldom dips below a fluidity of 60 frames per second.

We're realists. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption can't and doesn't look as good as some of today's cutting-edge games on more powerful consoles. But for Wii, a console that so far hasn't proven that it is even dramatically more powerful than GameCube, it's stunning.

Something has gone terribly wrong at a drifting space station. Terminal text displays an eerie message: "Cryogenic systems stable. Corrupted life support anomaly detected." The computer systems have become infected with some kind of new virus, they begin to malfunction and meltdown, and Dark Samus appears to be involved. A real-time cinematic showcases the beginnings of the storyline for Aran's latest adventure, and we catch a glimpse of Dark Samus as she breaks free from a room full of high-tech equipment, very probably signaling the start of the corruption that spreads across the galaxy.

Samus, though, is asleep. The long-time heroine of one of Nintendo's most popular franchises is also adrift in space and she's not wearing her trademark suit. The camera pans in on the blonde-haired, blue-eyed beauty as she opens her eyes and looks around her cockpit. Just outside, we can see the vast expansion of space, stars twinkling in contrast to the great blackness. This is how Prime 3 begins and it seamlessly teaches you some of the game's integral new Wii controls from the comfort of Aran's ship. You can look around the cockpit with the nunchuk's analog stick and you can point to various switches and levers with the Wii remote. A simple tap of the A button may bring up displays, activate boosters, and so on. Retro Studios hasn't suddenly given you the freedom to roam the galaxy - this is still a very controlled situation created specifically to familiarize you with the basics - but it's very atmospheric all the same.

After you point to a center console, Samus places her hand on the device and her ship gains in speed and veers to the right, directly toward a fleet of Galactic Federation Fighters, giant-sized spaceships quite capable of blowing Aran to smithereens. Over the radio, one of the Federation soldiers audibly asks Samus to identify herself. Yes, there's voice work in Prime 3 and judging from the two-level demo, quite a lot of it. Once Samus is on foot again, she can freely walk through the space station and talk with all of its occupants. Naturally, the heroine herself remains mute, but now all of the mechanics and troopers have something to say and the acting is very well done and believable. Another button in the cockpit area brings up a display surrounded in an extraterrestrial alphabet. Here, you use the Wii remote to control Aran's hand so that she can select the right letters to identify herself to the fleet. With that done, she's clear to land on the floating galactic base called Flagship Olympus, where more tutorial controls and story await.

Before leaving her ship, Samus dons her trademark Varia Suit, which is immediately equipped with a number of abilities normally obtained later in Metroid titles. She can transform into morphball form. She can double-jump. She can charge her beam weapon. And she's got three visors available, including both the scan and battle, in addition to a third. Selecting the visors is handled intuitively with the Wii remote. You simply hold down the minus button and flick into one of three directions - left, right, or up - to transition to the various visors. When scanning, you can clearly see Aran's eyes reflected in the visor - not only during gun-muzzle flashes, but the whole time. The plus button is used to activate hyper mode, which seemed locked for the demo.

Samus controls better in Prime 3 than she ever has before. In fact, the heroine's tight maneuverability and speed nurture a level of accuracy never before possible in a console-based first-person experience. Retro has included three different sensitivity levels for fans, so if you're the type who prefers a big bounding box and slower turns, you can do that. However, we highly recommend that all gamers play Prime 3 with advanced controls, which shrink the bounding box so that Samus turns quickly when your on-screen reticule begins to stray in any direction. Previously, Call of Duty 3 was the benchmark for accurate controls in a first-person game on Wii, but Prime 3 blows that title out of the water. If you've played any FPS-style game on Nintendo's system before, you will probably be running and gunning in Corruption and absolutely loving the freedom and speed of the controls in a matter of seconds, not minutes. It really is the new benchmark and simultaneously proof that smart studios can really utilize the Wii remote and nunchuk for some dazzling results.

Having noted that, either we've gone crazy or Retro has actually loosened up the advanced control setting, not tightened it, since we last played the game in New York. It's still very responsive and maneuverable, but it doesn't seem quite as speedy as it was before. Perhaps we were merely so overjoyed at the working controls when we went hands-on at New York that our memory of the affair was distorted.

In Metroid Prime 3, you can lock-on to enemies by holding down the Z button. This function is not nearly as important as it was in the previous games since the new and improved manual aim is so responsive, but it's still helpful when you want to quickly cycle between foes. However, there is one invaluable new change to the mechanic that you can toggle on or off depending upon your preference. You can now lock-on to enemies and retail manual aim with the Wii remote, essentially enabling you to pinpoint shoot Space Pirates and other baddies if you so desire. If you'd rather not bother, turn it off in the options menu and forget it ever existed.

Press the 1 button at any time and you'll bring up the map, options and logbook screens, where you can easily change your control sensitivity and toggle lock-on with manual aim on or off. You can also reverse visor select and hyper mode to the plus and minus buttons if you prefer.

Walking about the Flagship Olympus, you will quickly notice that the environments and occupants are more interactive and that Samus is a figure to be respected. While some mechanics when approached will spout lines like, "I've got duties to perform, we'll talk later," Fleet Troopers are sometimes in awe of Aran. "Did you really take out an entire planet of Space Pirates," one such character asked us after we triggered a conversation with him. Meanwhile, there are all sorts of animated system checks and scan points that Samus must push with her palm, pull with her hands, or look into to be examined. You will regularly pull backward, twist to the left and then push forward again with the Wii remote to unlock doorways, and using gestures to activate these points doesn't feel gimmicky it all; it's highly immersive.

Eventually, the Flagship Olympus is attacked by Space Pirates and everything goes to hell. As you run through darkening corridors, you will see smaller craft crash into the Olympus, which breaks the airlock and causes troopers to be sucked into space. The environments themselves will become destroyed, creating new walkways and holes for Samus to explore and traverse, with the ultimate goal of getting off the doomed satellite.

The second level of the demo is called SkyTown Elysia and it takes place on another planet entirely - one whose mix or organic and high-tech environments hovers in a spectacular sky setting. The objective is to "get the Aurora back online" and "reach the Seed." The level itself is comprised of a network of hovering railways that Samus can traverse by first locking onto a starting point with her grapple beam and then riding the railway like a dangling rollercoaster. It's awesome. While locked on with your grapple beam, you can look around the environment, target enemies in your path, and blow them away. At certain points, Aran will encounter cannons that, when in morphball form, blast her across chasms so that she may continue onward. Also quite awesome. Eventually, you encounter Steamlord, a huge flying robot that fires green ripple lasers your way. He's surrounded by minions, whom he repairs just as soon as Samus blasts them, so you'll have to take him down immediately.

We had our doubts that Prime 3 would come together. Having spent some quality time with the game, though, it is rapidly becoming our most anticipated Wii project. Retro Studios seems to have nailed the controls and (perhaps more than ever) the atmosphere. We simply cannot wait to see and play more.

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Metroid Prime 3's token feature a small taste of achievements
by Jared Rea

• It's not the system-wide accomplishment tracking that we've grown to love on the Xbox 360 (some more so than others), but according to a GoNintendo tipster, Nintendo fans will get a taste of the sweet life on August 27th when Metroid Prime 3 finally lands on the Wii with bonus content for in-game tokens.

So how does it work? The tokens are doled out in four tiers: red, blue, green and gold. Red tokens are gained by scanning enemies and items, blue for scanning lore and completing side quests, green ones you receive from friends and gold is achieved by destroying bosses on various difficulties.

According to the tipster, tokens can be traded in for bonus content in-game, but are also used to track progress amongst your friends. Vouchers for those friends can be found and then sent in the form of green tokens as well. We've seen these tokens in recent videos of Metroid Prime 3, but we may have a wait ahead of us to find out exactly how they function.

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
9.5 - IGN Reviews Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
by Matt Casamassina

Score: 9.5
  • Closing Comments
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was originally set to launch with Wii, but the year-long delay has been very much worth the wait. Call it a first- person shooter or a first-person adventure -- doesn't matter. I call it the best game on Nintendo's console. It is clear from the moment you pick up the controller that Prime 3 was developed exclusively for Wii. Not only do the new controls respond quicker and with more precision than any dual-analog-helmed FPS ever created, but the gesture system works brilliantly, too. Meanwhile, the title delivers everything a Metroid fan could hope for, including spectacular environmental puzzles, epic boss fights and intense combat, all wrapped up in a package that spans multiple worlds and is filled with re-traversal exploration. A cinematic storyline made possible by beautiful art and graphics rounds out the experience, which is complemented by a medal system and WiiConnect24 compatibility.

There are a couple of minor quibbles that keep Prime 3 from a higher score. The first and most obvious is that the game is a sequel and thus inherently feels familiar. While Corruption features more variety than any of its predecessors, it's not the design revolution that the original game was. Also, as you explore the world, you will occasionally encounter doorways that take longer than they should to open, as they are loading the next area. Thankfully, this is a rare occurrence, but it does occur. And finally, while the majority of the 20-hour experience flows, there's one fetch quest that interrupts the pace.

We rated the original Metroid Prime a 9.8 on GameCube and had Corruption been the first game in the series it'd have been worthy of the same score. As it stands, Samus Aran's latest adventure is a spectacular must-own experience and one of Wii's defining games. Stop reading and buy it.

Another Take from Mark Bozon
    For whatever reason, I was a late bloomer to the Prime series. Being a huge 2D Metroid fan, I never really got into Prime and Echoes until about a year back, after a brief session with Corruption hooked me. It’s now a year later, and Corruption proved it not only has what it takes to capture the more shooter-oriented crowd, but also has enough legs to deliver more than 20 of the most entertaining hours of gameplay I’ve experienced in years. Corruption is a shooter design at times, an adventure at others, but throughout the entire experience it remains the number one reason to own a Wii. The presentation is simply beautiful, the gameplay is more responsive and precise than any console experience to date, and the final product is the best on the system, period. If this really is the final chapter of the Prime saga, Retro went out with one hell of a bang, as Corruption is an absolute must-have on Wii, and the best of the series

click here to read the rest of the 4 page, spoiler-free review

giant picture
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I don't have the money for this now....if I did I'd be playing the fuck out of it.

Maybe now would be a good time to play Prime 2.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

100+ posts
100+ posts

Link Copied to Clipboard