Print Thread
Fused Offline OP
3000+ posts
OP Offline
3000+ posts
Zak Penn Writing The Avengers
Source: Marvel Entertainment
August 10, 2006

The Marvel Studios Overview Presentation--other than giving a great look at how their films are made and what they have in the works--reveals that Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk, X-Men: The Last Stand, X2: X-Men United) is writing the screenplay for the big screen adaptation of The Avengers.

Marvel describes the property as follows: "The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes, formed to fight the foes no single hero could withstand. The Avengers are the most prestigious and powerful super-hero team in the world."

Fucking A

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
hope it's a terrific screenplay.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
If they get the rights to use the real Avengers-good
If they don't and use second and third tier characters-bad

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Exactly.here's my line-up:
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man
Hawkeye
Scarlet Witch
Vision
Giant-Man
Wasp

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
100+ posts
100+ posts
So what what do you think the end development is going to be; the traditional version or the Ultimates?

Fused Offline OP
3000+ posts
OP Offline
3000+ posts
It wouldnt surprise me if they did a hybrid. What would surprise me would be if it came out before the Cap movie. But I'd be down with an Avengers flick after Iron Man releases.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
If they get the rights to use the real Avengers-good
If they don't and use second and third tier characters-bad

Yep. On the bright side, the fact that they already did an animated Avengers film with top tier Avengers tends to indicate they have the rights to use the big guns. Keep your fingers crossed

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Animation & live action are two different things!
If the likes of Captain America and Iron Man have been sold to other studios, it means they would not necessarily be in the same movie!

I could well see this movie being only one of two top tier guys with a bunch of second tier guys.
As long as the second tier are guys like Hawkeye, Vision, Giant Man/Ant Man & Wasp etc, then it will still be a very legimitmate line up!
If it includes crap like Gilgamesh & Triathlon, then it will be bollocks!

notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
DR. DRUID!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
He's dead, currently.

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
the fact that they already did an animated Avengers film with top tier Avengers tends to indicate they have the rights to use the big guns. Keep your fingers crossed

Quote:

Nowhereman said:
If the likes of Captain America and Iron Man have been sold to other studios, it means they would not necessarily be in the same movie!

That's why I wrote "tends to indicate" and "keep your fingers crossed" as opposed to "conclusively demonstrates" and "nothing to worry about."

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Marvel had licensed most of their characters (including Cap. America and Iron Man) to Artisan after the success of Spider-man and X-Men. Those two, the Hulk, Punisher, Blade, and Ghost Rider were already at other studios. When Artisan folded, Marvel got the rights back. Now that they're their own production company, they're releasing their own movies and keeping the characters that aren't already licensed out to other studios under their banner.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Well, I'm anxious to see what the line - up will be. If I could pick, it would be :

Captain America
Thor
Photon
Iron Man
Wasp
Goliath
War Machine
Scarlet Witch
Vision

life." - Tuvok.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Iron Man & War Machine?

Oh yeah....Jim Rhodes.....gotcha!

You forgot T'Challa though!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
the fact that they already did an animated Avengers film with top tier Avengers tends to indicate they have the rights to use the big guns. Keep your fingers crossed

Quote:

Nowhereman said:

That's why I wrote "tends to indicate" and "keep your fingers crossed" as opposed to "conclusively demonstrates" and "nothing to worry about."

Which is why I pointed out why it might not happen!
See, this is how a conversation & sharing of information works!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Adrian Tullberg said:
So what what do you think the end development is going to be; the traditional version or the Ultimates?

Quite possibly neither.
I mean, does the X-Men movie resemble any comic book universe X-Men?
Movies usually take something from source material (usually, meaning any film that wants to be a success unlike Catwoman), but due to various limitations and the need to push the movie to non-comic fans as well, a comic book movie often tends to be its own version.

I always liked it when DC had the multiverse years ago and called it Earth-TV!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Iron Man & War Machine?

Oh yeah....Jim Rhodes.....gotcha!

You forgot T'Challa though
!

You are correct, I did forget T'Challa. I felt at nine members, that would be enough, so, let's add :

T'Challa

Hawkeye

Hercules

That brings it up to 12 members, and still very managable.

Who should they fight?

Maybe Kang....who could have a plot to rule Earth... and only Earth's mightiest team can stop him!

life." - Tuvok.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I was making a joke........ya know about Jim Rhodes & T'Challa being your favourite characters!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
I was making a joke........ya know about Jim Rhodes & T'Challa being your favourite characters!

I kinda realized that.

The more I think about this Avengers movie, the more I see it becoming a HUGE summer blockbuster, equal only to X men 2 : United We Stand, which, IMO, is the BEST superhero movie, ever.

Well, at least if it is done right....

life." - Tuvok.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
The main problem with a team movie is that although it promises so much, they quite often deliver so little!

As you say, this could be a huge huge blockbuster if handled right, but I'd rather not get my hopes up in advance, purely on the basis it wont be such a let down if its crap, and if its good or great, then my expectations are exceded!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Had they not already bastardized it for an animated film, I think that an abridged version of the first volume of the "Ultimates" would have made a pretty good Avengers film. That's more or less the style and tone I'd go for.

In fact, I had always thought the whole point of the "Ultimate" universe was to design "movie friendly" versions of the classic Marvel U characters.

I don't think it worked out that way, however.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
The main problem with a team movie is that although it promises so much, they quite often deliver so little!

As you say, this could be a huge huge blockbuster if handled right, but I'd rather not get my hopes up in advance, purely on the basis it wont be such a let down if its crap, and if its good or great, then my expectations are exceded!

I agree! This is why I started writing my own superhero stories..I get to see exactly what I want to see. No one dies that I was very fond of, I use minor characters to their fullest potential, and I have creative control...

And I am not getting my hopes up for the Avengers movie, either, being the skeptic that I am.

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Had they not already bastardized it for an animated film, I think that an abridged version of the first volume of the "Ultimates" would have made a pretty good Avengers film. That's more or less the style and tone I'd go for.

In fact, I had always thought the whole point of the "Ultimate" universe was to design "movie friendly" versions of the classic Marvel U characters.

How is the animated film? Have you seen it? Has anyone here seen it?

life." - Tuvok.

fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

How is the animated film? Have you seen it? Has anyone here seen it?

Its kinda okay, but it's by no means great.

Good solid entertainment if you take it for what it is.

Racks be to MisterJLA
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Thank you, Chant. BTW, cool new avatar!

life." - Tuvok.

Eat Me
500+ posts
Eat Me
500+ posts
The first animated Ultimate Avengers was terrible. The second one (which came out this week) is OK. The best part of it was the outtakes.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
How ok? Good ok, bad ok or just ok ok?

Eat Me
500+ posts
Eat Me
500+ posts
Worth watching once, if only for the outtakes. The outtakes were hilarious.

Kaz Offline
500+ posts
500+ posts
I wonder if they'll get the same guy cast to play shellhead in the Iron Man movie to reprise the role in an Avengers film.

And if this movie has success, will that push the much-maligned Super-man vs. Batman film ahead?

Or could a JLA flick be far behind?

Bob Burden said: Pie for the pirates, wine for the dogs.
Fused Offline OP
3000+ posts
OP Offline
3000+ posts
Zak Penn Speaks
By Devin Faraci

Chud: First I wanted to know where he would be getting his inspiration: the normal Marvel Universe Avengers or The Ultimates, Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch’s widescreen re-envisioning of the team?

Zak Penn: “No question the thing that it inspired me was the Ultimates run, I thought it was brilliant, cinematic, and made me realize that a super hero team didn't have to be goofy. There has been a lot of discussion about whether it will be live action or a next-gen big budget CGI thing, but we've tabled it for awhile while I write the Hulk. I imagine we will make all these decisions next year.

Chud:One of the things that has fans excited about The Avengers movie is the possibility of scale. While there’s a long time between now and real work getting done on this project, Zak does have his eye on making this a real Marvel U movie – a real Marvel Film U movie, that is.

Zak Penn: One thing I can tell you is that when I was a kid, I loved Marvel Team Up, Marvel Two in One, anything where you got a sense of the whole Marvel universe. The more we can draw from the other Marvel movies the better.

Chud: It’ll be interesting to see where that goes – will whoever gets hired to play Iron Man also be contracted for The Avengers? Or at least for his voice, if the film does go CGI? And with Marvel having so many of its characters home under one roof again, we could be seeing a massive showing of Marvel characters. And we may not have to wait for The Avengers movie for that.

Zak Penn: By the way, I'm hoping you'll see some other Marvel characters in the Hulk

Chud:Look for more from Zak Penn in the coming weeks as Dave Davis and I recount our massive and epic Las Vegas adventure on the set of his improv poker movie, The Grand. And it won’t just be Zak – we’ll have on set interviews from Werner Herzog, David Cross, Avi Arad and more.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

Fused said:
Zak Penn: By the way, I'm hoping you'll see some other Marvel characters in the Hulk

It would be nice to see Thor or Daredevil in a Hulk movie. Instant classic.

Quote:

And it won’t just be Zak – we’ll have on set interviews from Werner Herzog, David Cross, Avi Arad and more.

That's a diverse cast. Where were Dalai Lama and Jessica Simpson?

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I wish they hadn't destroyed J'Costa, I liked the idea of a robot woman in the Avengers.

life." - Tuvok.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:
Quote:

Fused said:

It would be nice to see Thor or Daredevil in a Hulk movie. Instant classic.

Heh!

Fused Offline OP
3000+ posts
OP Offline
3000+ posts
Source: Newsarama

In terms of feature films, the company also reiterated that the sequel to the Hulk is likely to be the second feature film to be released as part of Marvel’s self-financed film slate, following 2008’s Iron Man. Again, David Self was named as writer of an upcoming Captain America film, with Andrew Marlowe listed as the writer of Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD, Mark Protosevich writing Thor, and as a new addition, Zak Penn was named as writer of The Avengers.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes, formed to fight the foes no single hero could withstand. The Avengers are the most prestigious and powerful super-hero team in the world.

The last announcement goes back to the Marvel films presentation at the recent San Diego Comic-Con, where it was noted that it was no coincidence that Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor were leading the Marvel self-financed slate.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

I agree! This is why I started writing my own superhero stories..I get to see exactly what I want to see. No one dies that I was very fond of, I use minor characters to their fullest potential, and I have creative control...

And I am not getting my hopes up for the Avengers movie, either, being the skeptic that I am.

Yeah, how's that working out for ya?

Get the fuck out!
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
My characters and my stories appear to be working out just fine! I hope to add another installment to the story that I am working on called "Ice World". It's in WRITER'S BLOCK, under " Short Stories".

life." - Tuvok.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
heh go kid comet

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Knut, do you remember Space Stars, featuring Teen Force? I loved the show, the characters were very good, and the stories were fun, too.

I felt Kid Comet and Moleculad ought NOT to have faded
into obscurity....they deserved better than that!

I did not use Elektra, as I already have Samantha, who has similar powers to her, and is about the same age as the other two.

life." - Tuvok.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
I wish they hadn't destroyed J'Costa, I liked the idea of a robot woman in the Avengers.

I always liked Jocasta too. In the Shooter/Micheline era of Avengers she was kind of the underdog who always did good but was always kind of stuck not ever fitting into the group.

Fair play!
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

I always liked Jocasta too. In the Shooter/Micheline era of Avengers she was kind of the underdog who always did good but was always kind of stuck not ever fitting into the group.

Which is EXACTLY why they should have kept her around. There are many who could easily identify with her. The fact that she was a machine gave her a unique viewpoint, in much the same way Lt. Commander Data's being an android gave him a unique point of view. He aspired to be human, but no matter how human he might eventually become, he will never truly fit in because he will always be an android.

life." - Tuvok.

Link Copied to Clipboard