Next Thread
Print Thread
#744415 2006-10-10 12:41 AM
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
So you wanna join the big leagues? You wanna post an image? Great! Too bad you're a n00b who doesn't know the difference between HTML and THRTJRJKLQ.

But never fear, I'll save you.

By the way, this might be extremely rudimentary for some of you, even if you don't know exactly how to post an image. But I'm going to go over everything (or at least a lot of things) in a very simplified manner for the benefit of those who aren't in the know. And if there are a lot of questions, I'll add EVEN MORE to this little tutorial to clear things up and make posting pics on Rob's easier.

First thing's first. Hear ye! Hear ye, bitches! Taking a picture that's on your hard drive, dragging it to your browser, and pasting it in the posting window for us to see DOES NOT WORK. All that does is tell your browser to display the image file that's still on your hard drive so that YOU can see it. If you want the rest of us to see it, you have to actually put the image on the internet first. Makes sense, right? Sending the image from your computer to the internet is called uploading the image, by the way. You have to upload the image first, then can you use it in a post.

So now that you've put the image on the net-- What? Oh, you don't know WHERE on the internet to put it? That's fine. It's a big internet out there, after all. Good news is there are approximately 1,342,543,563,424,003 places on the internet capable of holding that picture for you. Theoretically, in fact, you could put it just about anywhere on the web and display your picture. Bad news is theory doesn't mean shite. You'll only be able to use about twelve of those places for free without getting in trouble for "stealing bandwidth." Well, it isn't really all that bad. Just follow one of the links below.

Photobucket
ImageShack
Image Hosting
"Upload 2"

All of those places allow you to take pictures from your hard drive and place them on their website for free. In tech speak, they will "host" your images. Each of those sites have their limits, of course, and you'll have to find out for yourself what those limits are, but if you're lucky a bunch of RKMBers will come to this thread after I'm done and tell you where they go to get their pictures hosted.

Photobucket is on top for a reason. It's my favorite. If you go there and don't know what to do, click here. That's their tutorials page. You'll find lots of help there. You can learn

how to set up a Photobucket account for yourself,
how to upload an image to their site,
how to upload several images at one time,

and other stuff. It's waaaaay too much for me to post here tonight, but if people get confused, I'll edit this at some point and try to sum up what those pages say. That will be then and this is now, though, so you're just have to go there and see.

Another thing you should know: a lot of stuff on that main tutorial page (the "click here" link above) is there for putting videos on their site, so you won't need to worry about most of that page for now. As of the time of this writing, only the first four links on that page are worth your time.

All right, so that took a little time but it was worth it. You finally got that picture you just HAD to share on the net...somewhere. Now what?

URL. Uniform Resource Locator. Whu? Basically, an URL is just an address on the World Wide Web. Just like a mailing address on a postcard, an URL tells your browser where to go to find something, whether it be a page, a song, a picture, or anything else.

On a postcard it's a bunch of numbers, a street name, stuff, city, state, yadda, yadda. Look at the top of your browser. You see that line that begins with "http:"? You guessed it. That's an url.

http://www.myspace.com/jasoneperkins

That's the url of my myspace page. Put it in your favorite places. It'll be worth something after Ragtag Heroes gets published :-D

http://myspace-594.vo.llnwd.net/01234/49/50/1234860594_m.jpg

That's a picture of me. You see how it ends in ".jpg"? That's the same way it would be on your computer. It could have ended in ".gif", or ".bmp" or about a dozen other ways and you still would have been able to see it, but the ".jpg" ending is probably the most popular nowadays for a few reasons I won't get into here. Just know that URLs for images usually start with "http:" and end with one of those three-letter endings I listed (and a few others).

Oh, and if they contain an equal sign, you can't use it. Long story. Just know that you can't.

The fact that the url ends in one of those ways, though, lets your browser know that the url is for an image and that the thing it's pointing to has to be displayed as a picture. Same way your computer program knows to display the image for you to see on your hard drive.

Anywho, after you upload your picture to whatever image hosting site you choose, you'll probably get a screen showing you your new picture URL. Like I said: "http:......" COPY THAT!

Come back to Rob's. Are you here? Good. Open up a new post window. Look near the bottom. You see that link that says "Image"? It's in the box labelled "Instant UBB Code". Click it. You'll get this:

Code:
[image][/image]

Good stuff. You're almost done. All you have to do is paste the URL you copied in between those tags. That's right, between the first "]" and the "[".

By the way, there are other ways to post an image here. You COULD just type the those image tags in yourself, with the image URL in between. That'll work too, but you have to be sure that you type out those tags exactly as I've typed 'em.

Now, I suggest you keep that box that says "I want to preview my post" checked. If there isn't a check mark there, check it. You're new, so this might take a few attempts to work and it's good to see what you'll get BEFORE you post it wrong and look like a dumas. If it doesn't look right and you can't figure out why, post whatever you've got in this thread and ask. Someone will help you...maybe.

Post it and you're done. Remember, though, that some people don't want you using their pictures elsewhere, so if you go somewhere else and take a picture URL and try using it here, it might not work for other people to see, even if YOU can see it. Weird, I know, but it's called image blocking and a lot of sites do it, so watch out.

I'll try to remember to write up something on posting OTHER PEOPLE'S images later. I probably won't remember to do that at all, though.

You should be good to go now. You can do it! I believe in you and so do they.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
That's probably really confusing but it's late and I'm tired. I'll fix it later.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
elsia fucked that guy.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
This thread needs to be stickied and frontpaged.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:

That's awesome...

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Perhaps even AWESHOME!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
Nah. "Awesome" is sufficient.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yeah...

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Edited.

notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Edited.

Revisionist! Stop raping my childhood!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
But...raping childhoods is what I do!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Taking a picture that's on your hard drive, dragging it to your browser, and pasting it in the posting window for us to see DOES NOT WORK.

Heh, I remember Llance trying this method!

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
back like 6 or 7 years ago, i remember convincing llance that he had a touch-screen monitor.

i lost those back-and-forth emails during a computer crash a few years later, but...

good times.
...good times....

giant picture
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
But...raping childhoods is what I do!

There's a place for you in Mark Foley's GOP my friend.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
back like 6 or 7 years ago, i remember convincing llance that he had a touch-screen monitor.

i lost those back-and-forth emails during a computer crash a few years later, but...

good times.
...good times....

How did he ever find his way onto the net?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Wow! I just clicked on Wednesday's pic from the first post! I'd never guess she was an angry black man! In fact, I don't believe it! I think Wednesday just made up this posting images thread just so she could throw in that picture of "her/himself to throw us all off. Everybody at the RKMBs knows Wednesday has always been an angry black chick! Now get over to the Wimmen's forum and show us your boobs Wednesday!

-----once over and twice twisted---------
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:

good times.
...good times....

Then what the hell have I been doing these past 6 or 7 years?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Taking a picture that's on your hard drive, dragging it to your browser, and pasting it in the posting window for us to see DOES NOT WORK.

Heh, I remember Llance trying this method!

Sure it does! I do it all the time! In fact I have a big dorky pic of Nowhereman at the bottom of all my posts! It shows him getting it up the ass by all five of the Spirit Squad! Now tell me that makes your pee pee tickle all over Nowhereman!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
FYI Wednesday...the video on your MYSPACE is unbecoming for a proper young lady such as yourself! Waaaayyyyyy too urban!

25+ posts
25+ posts
I'll give you tips on how to post your images, rkmbs...

Joe Mama: Make sure you only post images of Joe Mama taken from fifty yards away. Unless you want a random, unfocused picture of floral print, cookie crumbs, and caked baby powder.

Joe Mama's Penis: When posting images of Joe Mama's Penis, I would advise PJP to only post ones where he used the supermacro lens that they use to take pictures of bees sitting on dewy flowers and such.

PJP: When posting an image of PJP, make sure there are no traffic cones, life vests, or oranges in the image to avoid any potential confusion. If you're unable to find a picture of PJP, simply substitute Ernie from Sesame Street.

Nowhereman: When posting an image of Nowhereman, wear sunglasses. Nowhereman reflects so much light, he should only be viewed through those shoeboxs that little kids make to look at an eclipse. It's like looking at the Undertaker's bleached asshole.

klinton: I wouldn't recommend posting any images of klinton, unless it's close to Halloween or you need to drum up donations for charity. But, if you do, make sure you don't post any images of klinton facing sideways, unless you want to view the scenery behind him, unobstructed.

Rob Kamphausen: Why anyone would want to post an image of Rob Kamphausen is beyond me, but if you're so inclined, make sure to caption that you are, in fact, posting a picture of Rob and not Liberace, to avoid any potential confusion.

Prometheus: Again, make sure to caption that you are posting a picture of Prometheus, and not Liberace or Rob Kamphausen. If you have a picture of Prometheus up Rob's ass, captioning becomes particularly crucial.

G-Man: Please don't post any images of G-Man. I don't need to see the sad old man who names his pillow "Mr. Limbaugh", which he serenades with "Rush, Rush" and humps to sleep every night. ...And by "pillow", I mean "small boy".

sneaky bunny: When posting images of sneaky bunny, only post images taken from a camera with an image stabilizer, since the bitch is always dizzy drunk and stands still about as well as she types.

Pariah: Keep in mind, when posting images of Pariah, that he looks like a cross between David Berkowitz and Pee-Wee's rival, Francis, in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. ...Which, coincidentally, also reflects his personality. You might find, upon reflection, that the more appropriate place to post his image would be on a website run by the FBI.

Time-Travelling Player Hater Extraordinaire. I hope Joe Mama comes to your house and uses your bathroom. If you cross me, I'll go back in time and pull out of your momma.
You're looking at it
200+ posts
You're looking at it
200+ posts
Lopsided lists are not cool.

I spit in the face of people who don't want to be cool.

"Please explain to me how a shoulder injury can stop you from refereeing. Surely he could count to three with his other arm!" - Nöwheremän

-6,000 points
(That's 6,000 below zero for you non-math-gifted mods who are not cool enough to know that one million has six zeros (not nine))
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
AWESOME!

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Bump.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Phew...thanks for bumping this up Snarf. I was trying for the last hour to post this, and couldn't sort it out:

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I see nothing.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Seriously? Something's fucked here...everytime I try to post an image, it fucks up. I mean, I can see that shit (unfortunately) but no one else seems to be able to. What the fuck...

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Most sites don't allow hot linking. It only shows up for you because you already have it in your internet cache.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Ok, ok...I thought it was something fucky, due to going back to using Mac.

Link Copied to Clipboard