Next Thread
Print Thread
Bianca Offline OP
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
LANE! Get your ass in here now! I have questions for you (since you seem to be the resident GC geek).

• Viewtiful Joe
  • Soul Calibur II
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Gauntlet: Dark Journey

What I want to know about these games:

1. Would you let 10 & 8 year-old, male relatives play these games (assuming that you had/have some)?

2. What types of violence are in these games?

3. Is there a lot of blood?

4. What about these games warrants the "Teen" rating?

5. Which are your top two picks out of this list for a 10 & 8 year-old?

6. Can you suggest any other games that are along those lines for a 10 & 8 year-old?

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
First, they're gonna have to be two-player games. Viewtiful Joe and Prince of Persia aren't. Gauntlet is a safe game where there's violence (killing zombies, dragons, other supernatural evils), but no blood. Soul Caliber is a far more advanced fighting game.There's no blood, but they're graphic methods of taking down one's opponent. Mario Kart is one I also recommend. Two-Player, minimal physical action, all action and racing.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
And if they don't have 'em, F-Zero GX and Super Smash Bros. Melee are other good ones.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
quick answers:

1) gauntlet: dark journey - not that great, as far as i know. pass.

2) prince of persia - i'd say thats too advanced for a 8 and 10 year old (thats 2nd and 4th grade, right?)

3) soul calibur II - excellent game, but its all about violence. magically, no blood. might be a little frustrating for younger kids, tho.

4) viewtiful joe - good pick. its a "beat'em up" type game (which is like a classic 1980s game, where you just go thru like a superhero and beat up all the badguys). its gotta kid mode and a more mature mode (no nudity or anything, just more difficult and such). its basically a comic book come to life. very fun. easy to learn.

of the four you listed, i'd definitely (and perhaps only) recomend viewtiful joe for the 2 kids.

if you're looking for other games they'd love, that are right for the age and such, these are games i'd recomend (even above viewtiful joe).

1) mario kart: double dash - hottest game, best choice. super fun, super addicting, easy enough for a kid, fun enough for an adult. tiny learning curve, great for multiplayer. no violence or blood. 4 players.

2) tmnt - sorta like viewtiful joe in all regards. comic book-like. violence, but nothing awful. fun, beat'em up type game -- especially great if they like the turtles. 2 players at a time.

3) smash bros - like tk said, great game. cartoony fighting game. 4 players. no blood. excellent graphics, fun for new and experienced gamers. plus, its a year or two old, so you could probably get it pretty cheap by now.

fzero is a fun and fast racing game. mario golf is a funny, but cool, golf game. super mario sunshine is a safe adventure game, as is rayman 3, and star fox adventures.

Bianca Offline OP
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Thanks guys. I'm still confused though.

***sigh***

I guess I'll be pestering those dorks at GameStop to help me tonight.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Confused about what? The Teen rating? It just means increased violence. M games I'm sure already know about.

Your Best Bets:
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Soul Caliber II
Mario Kart

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Also, 1080 Avalanche might be a good choice. Its a fun snowboarding game that the kids might like.

Bianca Offline OP
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Well, I ended up getting them nothng I talked about here.

I got them . . . both were "used" and under $20 each:

NBA Street & Batman: Rise of Sin Tsu

Yeah, so I totally gave in and got them at Batman game because I want to slowly bring them into the stuff that I like (comics).

And which one did Conner take and go right upstairs to play? Yeah, that's right . . . Batman.

And who'd he pick to play as . . . Nightwing.

Yes, let the conversion begin.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
That is an alright game (Rise of Sin Tzu). I've got it on PS2, it's not easy or hard (just right). Good choice.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I don't know about NBA Street. It might have some references in it that's inappropiate for 12 and under. I can't recommend enough of Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. If you have a GameCube, these two games are essential to have for your collection.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
Bianca Offline OP
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Quote:

I don't know about NBA Street. It might have some references in it that's inappropiate for 12 and under. I can't recommend enough of Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. If you have a GameCube, these two games are essential to have for your collection.

I only got them NBA Street because Pat has let them rent it before.

As for the other two . . . birthdays are good gift times as well.

But I still need to see their collection and find out what it is (exactly) that they have.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Just don't start playin' with them. Then you'll never leave the system!

He fixes the cable?

Link Copied to Clipboard