I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Man Convicted of Lawn-Walking Murder
By TERRY KINNEY, Associated Press Writer
2 hours ago

BATAVIA, Ohio - A jury Thursday convicted a man of murder for shooting a teenage neighbor who walked on his obsessively maintained lawn.

The jury deliberated less than four hours before finding Charles Martin, 67, guilty of murder. Martin was tried on a charge of aggravated murder, but jurors convicted him on the lesser count of murder because they could not agree the killing was planned.

The defense didn't dispute that Martin shot 15-year-old Larry Mugrage Jr. after he stepped on the lawn Martin meticulously cared for, mowing it as many as five times a week.

But defense attorney R. Scott Croswell III said Martin had been harassed for years by Mugrage and other neighborhood youths who insulted Martin and ignored his pleas to stay off the lawn.

Prosecutors said Martin and the teen exchanged words when he stepped on Martin's front yard on the way to play basketball. Later, the boy stepped on the lawn again, and Martin fired at him twice with a shotgun, according to testimony. Martin called 911, telling a dispatcher: "I just killed a kid."

Kevin Miles, an assistant Clermont County prosecutor, told jurors that after the first confrontation, Martin loaded his .410-gauge shotgun and waited more than three hours for Mugrage to return.

Martin faces 15 years to life in prison when he is sentenced May 23. He remains in jail on $2 million bond.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
bet the rest of the neighborhood punks think twice about fucking with old people...

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
This is sad, sick, and stupid.

In a way, I can understand... the man wanted his lawn left alone. He loved it and it was a source of joy. I feel the same way about my lawn, too.

But, if the kids were harrassing him, he ought to have just ignored them.

I know, because I live in a bad neighborhood... kids harrass me here, too.. but I have learned to ignore them.

If you ignore them, they quickly get bored with you because you aren't playing their game where you try to fight back.

That is what they want. They know they will win at that game. They are young. They are many. Fight them and they will wear you out, and you will only make yourself miserable.

I see a kid walk through my gate into my fenced yard, I ignore it.

That man ought to have ignored the kids.

Now, he has killed a kid, and ruined his own life, too.

life." - Tuvok.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Race? Religion? Where did he get the shotgun? COME ON! GIMME SOMETHING TO WORK WITH!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Private property is private property.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
thats some deep understanding rex

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Can't argue with that logic though.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Yeah, don't they have the "make my day" law?

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i think if he said, "do you feel lucky punk, well do ya?" that should give him a out if the kid went ahead anyways

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
In Colorado we have the Make My Day law. If someone's on your property and you tell them to remove themselves and they refuse to comply (usually with intent to harm or vandalize), we have the right to use force against them. We are also allowed to carry handguns, I think still concealed.

Yee-haw!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Why didn't he...I don't know...call the law? File complaints? Seems he was a bit too obsessed with his lawn...

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Why didn't he...I don't know...call the law? File complaints? Seems he was a bit too obsessed with his lawn...

Pro, it sounds like the guy lived in a bad neighborhood.

I live in a really bad area. I learned years ago that :

If you yell at the kids, they will harrass you a lot worse.

If you tell the parents, they get mad at you, and tell you their kid would never do such a thing. They'll ask the kid if he has been tresspassing on your property, and the kid will look you and their parents in the eye and lie and say " No." These kids are usually good little actors and play the injured party quite well.

The parents almost always fall for it, too .... or they are in denial about what a rotten kid they have. Or the parents won't take responsibility for what their kids do ... or all the above.

The kids get very angry if you tell the parents, and they start destroying your property. They'll put dogshit in your mailbox. They break your fence and gate. They break your bushes and trees. They'll break your windows, too.

If you call the police, you'll end up wishing you hadn't because I tried that once ... and once only. The father of the kid threatened to kill me and the harrassment became totally evil. The father began harrassing me, too, at that point. " Die Fagit Die " was painted on my garage door. And other things happened that I don't care to talk about. Thank God I was able to move in with George ( this was back in 1983 - 84 ) and got away from that.

Now I am in a worse area. I know not to tell a kid to stay out of my yard.

I blame the parents for having a kid and not teaching him better. The parents must accept responsibility for their kid's actions. I blame the kid for his own actions. We are all responsible for our own behavior.

life." - Tuvok.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
couldnt you just threaten to gay em up if they went in your yard?

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
That way you either creep em out or get young new lovers!

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
AND SPACE!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Instead of taking time to get a shotgun he should have got a camera. Take A few pictures or video of the little shits on his property and give the pics to the cops or a lawyer. Have the little shits arrested and maybe legal action on the parents for whatever vandalism the little shits have done.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
yeah, that or even the unthinkable could have happened the boys parents could have taught him to respect other people's personal property

I'm Brian Fellow!
400+ posts
I'm Brian Fellow!
400+ posts
That's crazy!

I'M BRIAN FELLOW!

Link Copied to Clipboard