Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Glad you had a great time, Pro.

I'd love to have met Christopher Judge, Gigi Edgley, and the Next Gen cast you'd mentioned.

Very cool!

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Holy hell! Even Pro showed up this year!

...and was never seen again all weekend!

My apologies Doc & Grimm. I was so caught up in the chaos and sheer drunkery of the entire weekend. Not to mention, my cell phone had fuck all of reception in that place. I swear, next year, the booze is on me. That's a sincere promise, too.

So...my first Dragon*Con ever. Yeah. Here's some thoughts:

Holy fucking shit. It was an absolute fantasy madhouse! Over 35,000 people all there for the same purpose: Celebrate the fantasy/sci-fi/comic genres, and get totally loaded. Never a fight, cross word, or even a skirmish. It was a damn orgy of nerdism gone wild.

I loved every second of it.

The costumes were bad the FUCK ass! I've never seen so much creativity in one location. It was simply just fun to walk around, drunk, and check out everyone's outfit. There were some really, really good ones....and some that were okay. Nevertheless, the sheer madness of the whole thing floored me.

Also, I learned why it's called Drunken*Con. I was perpetually drunk, from Friday evening all the way until last night. I probably dropped about $800 on alcohol alone. Worth every fucking cent.

Three college friends showed up there Friday evening, and we got a room together in the Marriot. That place is, for me, the perfect hub of the entire event. That's where we ate, drank, slept, and socialized.

Friday night we ended up partying with the Farscape cast. Gigi Edgley...

...is fucking cool as shit. And, not a little bit hot. Also, we ran into Arron Douglas ("Chief" from Battlestar Galactica), and the guy that plays "Ronin" on Stargate Atlantis. Both were really fucking cool, and it was a pleasure to hang out and drink with them like people, rather than actors.

Saw Riker, Data, Crusher, and Q from Star Trek. They were only around for the formal event signings and shit like that. Didn't get to party with them like the others.

The SG1 crowd was in full effect, and pretty much dominated the signing events. Chris Judge ("Teal'c") was as drunk as we were, Heineken in hand everywhere he went. Good times.

I didn't even bother going to a single panel. After actually hanging out with some of the celebs in the High Velocity bar, I guess I just didn't care about hearing about their characters.

There's plenty more details to go into, plenty more action, and load of pics I haven't uploaded yet. Suffice it to say, though, you can count on me going to Drunken*Con every single year from here on out.

Best. Fucking. Party. Ever.

survey says. . .one more for the bad guys!!!!

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: harleykwin

The Jack, Jager, and Gold are gone. Goddamn, what a night.

Details, please.

Saturday

Saw Pro at the con. Told him to call or text me when he finally got his badge. Never heard from him again.

My other two friends with us, Kenny and Ron, couldn't find Grimm or get him to answer his cell; so we said "Fuck 'em" and went to Hooters without him. We then went back to the room so that Kenny could drop off his little cart that he drags his comic short boxes around on. We started hitting the aforementioned Dead Nazis. Since we drank all the beer the night before, the only chasers we had were the Jack Daniels. Next thing we know, 8:30 turns to 11:30 which, in turn, turns into 4 in the AM.

This is where my buddy Kenny started off the night.

And this is where he ended up.

Sunday

We try to piece together exactly what the fuck it was that we did the night before while we marched around hot as hell Atlanta with alcohol still coursing through our system.

And just because I think it's a good pic.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Grimm #865906 2007-09-04 2:43 AM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Grimm
Holy hell! Even Pro showed up this year!

...and was never seen again all weekend!

My apologies Doc & Grimm. I was so caught up in the chaos and sheer drunkery of the entire weekend. Not to mention, my cell phone had fuck all of reception in that place. I swear, next year, the booze is on me. That's a sincere promise, too.

So...my first Dragon*Con ever. Yeah. Here's some thoughts:

Holy fucking shit. It was an absolute fantasy madhouse! Over 35,000 people all there for the same purpose: Celebrate the fantasy/sci-fi/comic genres, and get totally loaded. Never a fight, cross word, or even a skirmish. It was a damn orgy of nerdism gone wild.

I loved every second of it.

The costumes were bad the FUCK ass! I've never seen so much creativity in one location. It was simply just fun to walk around, drunk, and check out everyone's outfit. There were some really, really good ones....and some that were okay. Nevertheless, the sheer madness of the whole thing floored me.

Also, I learned why it's called Drunken*Con. I was perpetually drunk, from Friday evening all the way until last night. I probably dropped about $800 on alcohol alone. Worth every fucking cent.

Three college friends showed up there Friday evening, and we got a room together in the Marriot. That place is, for me, the perfect hub of the entire event. That's where we ate, drank, slept, and socialized.

Friday night we ended up partying with the Farscape cast. Gigi Edgley...

...is fucking cool as shit. And, not a little bit hot. Also, we ran into Arron Douglas ("Chief" from Battlestar Galactica), and the guy that plays "Ronin" on Stargate Atlantis. Both were really fucking cool, and it was a pleasure to hang out and drink with them like people, rather than actors.

Saw Riker, Data, Crusher, and Q from Star Trek. They were only around for the formal event signings and shit like that. Didn't get to party with them like the others.

The SG1 crowd was in full effect, and pretty much dominated the signing events. Chris Judge ("Teal'c") was as drunk as we were, Heineken in hand everywhere he went. Good times.

I didn't even bother going to a single panel. After actually hanging out with some of the celebs in the High Velocity bar, I guess I just didn't care about hearing about their characters.

There's plenty more details to go into, plenty more action, and load of pics I haven't uploaded yet. Suffice it to say, though, you can count on me going to Drunken*Con every single year from here on out.

Best. Fucking. Party. Ever.

survey says. . .one more for the bad guys!!!!

Yeah, it only took five fucking years of your best friends telling you that. And Grimm, Cross, and myself as well.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Got an autograph from McFadden for my aunt because her line was the shortest. She wasn't real friendly and all business. Frakes was right next to her and was talking and joking with everyone in line.

Oh, Pro, I'm holding you to your promise to show up again at the con next year.

Dead or alive, you're coming with me.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
great pics doc...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Doc, it may have taken awhile to convince me, but I'm damn serious...I'm in it to win it every year, now. I just never realized how much sheer fun the actual atmosphere alone is when it comes to this convention. You won't be able to keep me away from it. And yes, the booze is still on me.

I don't own a camera, but my friends each had one. As a note, one of them (John) has trouble taking pics that aren't blurred from the shaking of his hands. I don't know why, really. But, anyway that's the reason why some of these have a slight blur (unless the subject was just in motion).

Here are some of the ones I got this year:

What a wookie!

EX-TER-MIN-ATE THE HAIR-LINE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!!

Hangovers with the droids...

My boy John wishing it was Sigourney Weaver instead...

My lack of faith in his waistline was disturbing...

Hangovers with the Stormtroopers...

Dr. Freeman and The Daleks...

Doctor!!

Erik Estrada ("Ponch" from CHiPS)

John DeLancie ("Q" from TNG)

Nichelle Nichols ("Uhura" from TOS)

Kevin Sorbo ("Hercules")

Marc Singer ("Beastmaster")

Lou Ferrigno ("The Hulk")

Jamie Bamber ("Apollo" from the modern Battlestar Galactica)

The original "Boomer" from the original Battlestar Galactica

William Katt ("The Greatest American Hero")

Arron Douglas ("Chief" from the modern Battlestar Galactica)

Brent Spiner ("Data" from TNG)

Gates McFadden ("Dr. Crusher" from TNG)

Jonathan Frakes ("Cmdr. Riker" from TNG)

Gigi Edgley ("Chianna" from Farscape...talking to my buddy Matt. He's not proposing or anything, he's just about 6'5 and had to kneel to be able to talk to her)

A pregnant Claudia Black ("Farscape" "Stargate SG-1") eating a cookie

Louis Gosset Jr.

Paul McGillion ("Dr. Beckett" from Stargate Atlantis)

Lori Petty ("TankGirl") talking with Jason Mamoa ("Ronin" from Stargate Atlantis)

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Dr. Freeman and The Daleks...

What is he doing? Checking the Dalek's prostate?

Doctor!!

Saw a few Eccleston Doctors, but there were a whole bunch more Tennant ones.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
For some reason, that first post I made seems to be cutting pics off on my browser, so I'm going to split the rest here and see if it works...

Louis Gosset again, being a gentleman...

David Faustino from "Married With Children" trying to pretend he belongs at a Sci-Fi convention...

The view from the interior lobby floor

Random Spartans from "300"

The view from our room...

And now....boobies....

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
What is he doing? Checking the Dalek's prostate?

Yes?

Quote:

Saw a few Eccleston Doctors, but there were a whole bunch more Tennant ones.

Yeah, I got a picture with a Tennant. It's on Matt's camera, and he uses a Mac to process them off his camera. So, I'm going to have to wait to get a disc from him to post the rest of the pics.

BTW, can everyone see all the pics I posted? My browser seems to be cracking out right after that last Lori Petty pic I posted...

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
BTW, can everyone see all the pics I posted? My browser seems to be cracking out right after that last Lori Petty pic I posted...

I can! Awesome pics by the way. Ronin! Predator costume..dannnng.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pig Iran

bascically

"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I went to a couple of Who panels. The Brit track is getting hell from the Con, saying that not enough people watch Who and other Brit series to justify giving them a bigger room as Trek dominates most of the room space. Who panels filled up. There was even a line out into the hallway to get into one. They had people in the room take pics of the filled room with people standing along the walls and the line snaking out the door to email to the Con to get more space in the future. Also, Pro, with you being so close to Atlanta, there's an Atlanta Who fan club called the Atlanta Gallifreyians or somesuch. They're also having a Who/Stargate con call TimeGate that you might want to check out.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Pro - thank you for posting the pics! They are terrific!

Makes me feel almost as though I were there.

Some of the personalities have aged and put on weight, but that is time for you.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
I'd love to go. WW:Chicago really wasn't enough of a con fix this year. It was fun and, of course, better than the last. But it didn't satisfy my inner geek. Oh, and I will buy some alcohol...not just for myself either.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I went to a couple of Who panels. The Brit track is getting hell from the Con, saying that not enough people watch Who and other Brit series to justify giving them a bigger room as Trek dominates most of the room space. Who panels filled up. There was even a line out into the hallway to get into one. They had people in the room take pics of the filled room with people standing along the walls and the line snaking out the door to email to the Con to get more space in the future. Also, Pro, with you being so close to Atlanta, there's an Atlanta Who fan club called the Atlanta Gallifreyians or somesuch. They're also having a Who/Stargate con call TimeGate that you might want to check out.

Those were the ones I was actually interested in going to. I'm glad that some of the people are taking steps to prove to the Con that Who is becoming relevant again. It amazes me how they assume that Trek will be the automatic draw. As I noted earlier, it was a fact that the Trek guys had lines for autographs. But, the Battlestar and Stargate guys had fucking queues that wrapped and stretched out into the hallway (as did the Harry Potter guys). SG1 pretty much dominated that whole room, with even guys like Frakes and DeLancie just hanging out staring at the crowd on the other side of the room.

Trek is becoming the dinosaur of sci-fi. It's extinction looms very near, sadly. However, it's obvious that people are craving new and different science fiction. Here's to hoping that the Convention will open their eyes to the shifts in what fans are craving.

And by god, they had better get Davison or somebody again. How was the line the year you saw him? Substantial at all?

I had already heard about the Atlanta Gallifreyans. And, I stopped by and talked to the guy about the Timegate con. Sgt. Benton is supposed to be there. That's pretty cool. I don't know if I'll take the time to go, though. Dragon*Con pretty much spoiled me. It's Drunken*Con or nothing for me...

Jeremy #866082 2007-09-05 2:11 AM
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jeremy
I'd love to go. WW:Chicago really wasn't enough of a con fix this year. It was fun and, of course, better than the last. But it didn't satisfy my inner geek. Oh, and I will buy some alcohol...not just for myself either.

dude, I've been to Chicago Con. it's got nothing on Drunken*Con.

Grimm #866088 2007-09-05 2:18 AM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Jeremy has a way of sucking the fun out of anything.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #866090 2007-09-05 2:24 AM
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

Friday
went down to a venture bros. panel while I waited for the band to arrive. very entertaining. Doc Hammer and Dana Snyder were taking questions. lots of people dressed up including a Grand Inquisitor and a Brock Samson (guy did a deadon impression).

the band didn't get in until three in the afternoon (well, half of 'em. the other half didn't get in until five am). so we set up the booth and started catching up. met the people who do Cemetery Surfers. apparently they own a venue/liquor store up in Columbus, MS.

caught up with Doc and the roomies and went up to Steak & Ale to eat. went back to the booth late and hung out for a bit longer. finally closed up and I got Lita's autograph and preordered her band's cd and picked up a couple of Calabrese cds.

the panhandling laws haven't affected the bums much.

Saturday
Doc and I caught another Venture panel (this one was just Doc Hammer)before heading down to Artist Alley. checked out the alley and the dealer room and exhibitor halls before heading back down to the booth. no Vigils. no Brereton. Eric Powell was there, but was booked up on sketches.

hit the booth and we started working on promoting the show that night. fixing up labels with the time and location onto the Bury Them Deep promo cards and handing them out around the Hyatt. later on, Lyle and I went through all three damn hotels handing out show promo cards.

the rest of the band came down and we caught up a bit while everybody got settled. a couple of guys who work at Adult Swim came by the booth to get some cds (I don't remember their names but they work on Aqua Teen and Squidbillies) they did the show and it went off pretty well. lots of people having fun. I saw Lita was there, checking it out. also ran into a guy from myspace who had posted after I posted that they'd be playing. chatted with him for a sec.

so we took the merch back to the booth and then went out partying. drank and went around until all the parties were being shut down at five am by the fire marshall. went back to the room to crash.

Sunday
went to artist's alley to pick up some autographs and a few back issues (I hardly ever get back issues at cons. but I wanted to look around a bit this time). back to the booth for a bit and was still exhausted. I drank three energy drinks that afternoon and still almost passed out at the table when we went to hooters a little while later.

back up to the booth for a bit to hang out some and Eric Powell actually came by to check it out and Lyle gave him some cds. (Lyle had taken Steve Niles some cds earlier). so after that, I just said my goodbyes and went back up to the room to crash out. we got up at ten and loaded up the trailblazer and hit the road.

Grimm #866143 2007-09-05 2:34 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
$45 at the con.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
oh, David Lloyd was really cool, too. he sketched a V face inside the front cover of my copy of V for Vendetta and we talked about cons a little bit. he didn't seem to care for San Diego too much, because it's difficult to talk to people. but he pretty much chatted with everybody, so I picked up a copy of his new gn, Kickback.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
And by god, they had better get Davison or somebody again. How was the line the year you saw him? Substantial at all?

Nothing when I first got there. Within about a minute it was wall to wall. The lines will also be dictated by if popular panels are going on at the same time or not. So, there can be a really long line one minute, and then it'd be gone the next. Also, the set-up this year is a lot better than it has been in the past. The Walk of Fame was always elbow to elbow, but this year it was totally by itself and in a bigger room, which allowed for more and an easier flow of traffic.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

100+ posts
100+ posts

Don't look up here for a joke. There's one hanging over your seat.
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
It would have been a better party if you all went and go fuck yourselves.

Especially notwedge.

JPJ to Danbey Donavan

"That never gets old."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Dabney Donovan

Correct your grammar and repost this reply. Otherwise I have no choice but to give you an 'F'.

thedoctor #870312 2007-09-19 7:53 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
ONLY 344 DAYS LEFT!

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OMFG!!!Doc, we have to start stockpiling alcohol now!!!!!!!!!

Grimm #870488 2007-09-20 3:43 AM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I'd already started with a case of bourbon.

But I dranks it all. \:\(

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Dabney Donovan

Correct your grammar and repost this reply. Otherwise I have no choice but to give you an 'F'.

reax and freaky bunny do it all the time

JPJ to Danbey Donavan

"That never gets old."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Yes, that's true. Sneaky is blind and rex is..... well, rex.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
some random pics I found online.

the big showdown.

Grimm #871837 2007-09-25 5:28 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Grimm
some random pics I found online.

the big showdown.

Holy shit! Thor's defected to DC! And Hawkman to Marvel!

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
looks more like Hawkman's about to slam Kraven in the head with his BFM. . .

Grimm #872318 2007-09-27 2:38 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
You know, I saw the Oracle chick around that weekend. And, I kept thinking "Is she really crippled? Or is she just playing the part?" And then, part of me wanted to go and turn her wheelchair over and see what happened. And then, she would go crawling around and I would kick her arms out from under her screaming "STOP FAKING!! STOP IT!! STAND UP!!! YOU SUCK!!! STAND UP!!" And then she would cry, and I would laugh, and defecate in her boyfriend Nightwing's mouth. And he would cry, and I would kick her arms out from under her again, and laugh some more.

But, the other part of me said...."Nah."

Grimm #872320 2007-09-27 2:43 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

It's the CONTEST OF CHUMPIONS! And is that Green Hornet in the back right?! Man, Quesada is hard-up for new characters isn't he?

Man, check out that sideways, pissed-off Superman. Is the pic making his eyes red, or is he so pissed off he actually has heat vision? Whoa.

Very cool. Very, very cool.

Why does that Cheetah remind me of Harley? Heh. Boobs.

Nice. And, somewhat scary.

That one young chick in the middle is just screaming "Help me. Please, please help me."

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
notice how everyone else stops to watch Invisible Woman and Black Canary. it's almost like that one commercial: "kiss her. . .kiss her. . .kiss her. . ."

I like how Robin has to stand off to the side and also that the Joker henchman is totally in character.

so which one of you is the skrull?

a little of the old ultraviolence? yes, please. . .

saw this dude walking around on Saturday. damn cool. all he needed was a voice changer to get that funky Manta voice from the old cartoon.

no captions needed. . .

Chewy showed up and brought his Magneto costume and didn't tell anyone!

and CJ, too!

"Please. . .I'll say whatever you want. . .just let me go back to my room and get some sleep."

introducing the first entrants in Marvel Film's Hall of Shame:

when Kamphausen and his bunch arrive, you know the party's over.

Grimm #872361 2007-09-27 6:14 PM
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
great stuff grimm

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard