Next Thread
Print Thread
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Alan Grant, 10-page interview

Initially, I was thinking this would be of more interest to Nowhereman, since Alan Grant is a British writer, and a lot of his work is exclusively in 2000 A.D. and other British publications.

But as I think of it, he's quietly done a huge body of work on this side of the Atlantic too, including a lengthy run on the BATMAN titles, L.E.G.I.O.N. '89, LOBO, THE LAST AMERICAN, BATMAN:SHADOW OF THE BAT, and other titles.

Grant also helped a lot of British Creators break into the field.

He's quietly been one of the workhorse writers in the field, producing a large body of work, and is one of the representative talents of the late-80's/early-90's era.

I recently just read his "Legend of the Dark Mite" in BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT 38, featuring his and Kevin O'Neil's hilarious version of Bat-Mite.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
he's actually Scottish. nice find, though. there's quite a few fans of Grant's Detective run here.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
his Batman work was ok. I think his best work was on Shadow.

Bow ties are coool.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Grimm
he's actually Scottish. nice find, though. there's quite a few fans of Grant's Detective run here.

Thanks for the correction.

Being Scottish explains his connection to Morrison and Quitely, who are Scottish as well.

The material I'm most familiar with is in the last 2 or 3 pages of the interview, his DC work mostly.
A few shorter stories of his I liked include his BATMAN/JUDGE DREDD, and BATMAN/DEMON: A TRAGEDY Elseworlds stories he did, certainly enhanced by some really nice artwork.

I haven't ventured much into his BATMAN and DETECTIVE series work, just sampled a few issues.

His departure from the Batman line was one of several rather lively parts of the interview:
  • Q: How did your association with Batman, which lasted over ten years, come to an end?

ALAN GRANT: At midnight on a Friday, I was sent a 2-page fax by Scott Peterson, who wasn't my editor but who hated me. Basically it said, Cataclysm is selling through the roof, retailers love it (lie), readers love it (lie), everybody loves it (ditto). Halfway down page 2, after the eulogies, it suddenly switched to: "What does this mean for your
    ongoing association with Batman? Well, as from next issue, you will no longer be writing the character..."

A great way to get fired after 13 years. When I finally got hold of Denny, he explained that my stories hadn't been so good for the past year or two. I asked why he, as my editor, hadn't pointed this out a year or two earlier and saved me a lot of grief? He had no reply.

I prefer the debatable explanation that it was a conspiracy between Scott Peterson, Darren Vicenzo and Jordan Gorfinkel, Denny's assistants, who disliked Doug Moench and myself, possibly for pointing out they were a bunch of lying, cheating, incompetent assholes.

Well, y'know, it's nice to see there's no hard feelings...

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
DC editors are well-known as being a bunch of wankers.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Grant wrote some excellent stories set during Cataclysm and Aftershocks. He was obviously playing ball with the storyline and turning out good crossover-based tales.

Bow ties are coool.
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
 Quote:
On the other side of the coin, I was constantly in trouble with editors because of my attitude. I was called before the board of directors several times-- once for coming to work in an ankle-length WW2 greatcoat over high-heeled boots I sprayed silver myself. They said it wasn't how they expected their employees to dress.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

ALAN GRANT: When I finally got hold of Denny, he explained that my stories hadn't been so good for the past year or two. I asked why he, as my editor, hadn't pointed this out a year or two earlier and saved me a lot of grief? He had no reply.

The likely answer is that O'Neil wasn't actually editing the book in the first place. From what I've heard over the years, Denny basically let his assistants do all his work for him.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
 Quote:
If you hate authority, it's very hard to love God. They told me I was one of the most original thinkers they'd had, but expelled me anyway.

Quote:
I let my passion get the better of me and offered to throw him out the window (we were 23 floors up in King's Reach Tower).

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
 Quote:
John and I figured (how wrong can you be?) that CB would take off in Britain, too, and set out to create a series that would get there first. Well, we got there first, but nobody else ever followed.

Quote:
My favourite character at the moment is Lobo (just finished a 75,000 word Lobo novel for Warner Books)

Whassis now? Can someone point me here?

Quote:
I took pleasure in pointing out that, in economic terms, all politicians are parasites and destroy far more than they produce. I have some copies in Italian or Spanish someplace, but can't read them.

Quote:
I knew Robin was going to die, and figured we'd need a replacement. I wanted a kid whose beliefs were not the same as Batman's, in fact whose beliefs would clash with Batman's. I didn't want any dead parents who needed to be revenged. I wanted a kid who could think.

What I didn't know, until the script arrived on my desk, is that Marv Wolfman had already created the new Robin. Bastard.

Quote:
I imagine they're doing it for sales reasons. It doesn't seem to occur to them that the Bat-titles aren't selling well because they're shite (qualification--the ones I've seen).

The best thing that could happen to Batman would be for Bob Shreck to take the long walk.

Quote:
I am the only man in the world who can say he spent an hour on his knees with Kevin, at noon in the Main Square of Santa Fe, puking green bile. Must have been something we drank.

Quote:
Keith asked me to do the dialog on Lobo. Barry Kitson was up for being the artist, but Keith wanted a dirtier, more in-your-face style to revamp the character. We always used to say--Keith writes a loose plot, Bisley draws whatever he feels like, and I try to make coherent sense out of the result.

Quote:
Fat Man Press published it, and had things worked out--i.e. had they not acquired the publisher's disease of dishonesty--there'd have been an annual Bogie release from then till kingdom come (not the Alex Ross version).

Quote:
Evidently, under Britain's quaint obscenity laws, everybody from the retailer, wholesaler, distributor, printer, publisher, down to me, John and Bisley could be sued...presumably for depraving children by encouraging them to defecate.

Re: Shit the Dog, collab with the Biz. I gotta find that.

Quote:
I love taking background characters and making them somehow worthwhile. It's what I'm good at doing. I don't waste time crying about the fact that none of my solo-created characters have been a hit.

Quote:
That's why the world is doomed. Politicians, and elites in general, don't see that they are the problem. Leave folks alone, and we'll get on fine. Don't fucking bomb us.

Quote:
BTW: the Penguin story I did with Sam Kieth was censored/changed by DC editors, who figured it would be too upsetting to their readers if, as I wrote, it was the penguins who pecked the informant to death. What's the point of smearing a guy with fish oil and forcing him to swallow whole herring, if you're going to let fucking tigers eat him?

Quote:
Last Sons, an "adult" 76,000-word Lobo novel from Warner Books.

Again, gotta have it.

Man, that was cool to read. Thanks for posting it! I wish he woulda talked more about working with Biz, mostly I'm curious about Batman: Lobo. Since, y'know, it's my favorite comic of all time and all.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Quote:
But it really didn't take long for us to gel--we have a very similar sense of humour, and we'd remained friends since...actually, since the Saturday when we both worked at DCT and I turned up at John's flat looking for his flatmate with a half-bottle of vodka in my pocket. The flatmate wasn't there, so John and I drank the vodka and repaired to a tavern where John revealed his true competitive colours for the first time by challenging me to a drinking contest. I ended up spending the night in the cells for drunk and disorderly, while he went off with my girlfriend.

Male bonding, I think it's called

Great interview. He sounds like a cool guy to go drinking with. And I liked his SOTB stuff - that's where I first read his stuff.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Uschi

Man, that was cool to read. Thanks for posting it! I wish he woulda talked more about working with Biz, mostly I'm curious about Batman: Lobo. Since, y'know, it's my favorite comic of all time and all.

Glad you liked the interview, Uschi.

The BATMAN: LOBO book has art by Simon Bisley. Even mycomicshop.com and milehighcomics.com don't seem to keep it in stock. But I did see several of them available at varying prices on e-bay.

I also enjoyed this portion a lot:

• Q: I believe you turned down an offer of a job as the chief sub-editor on Tornado within a month of starting work for 2000AD. What were your reasons for remaining with 2000AD?

ALAN GRANT: I did, and it caused considerable consternation at IPC. Nobody had ever turned down a promotion before, especially when it involved a large percentage hike in wages. I was called before the managing director to explain myself. For me, 2000AD was the comic of the future...what I'd seen of Tornado marked it as a comic of the past.

(Tornado's original title was 'Heroes'. It was changed about a week before publication of issue *1, after one of the directors' grandsons said he didn't like Heroes.)

I felt that any sensible publisher would be focusing all of their assets and abilities onto their strongest title; at that time, 2000AD had immense potential. IPC could have taken over the world if they'd played it correctly. Instead, IPC was intent on the short-sighted policy of creating a sub-standard clone. I told the MD outright that
    Tornado would fold within 6 months; he bet me £5 it wouldn't. When it did, he paid up, and asked how I could possibly have known it would fail. The answer was simple:

2000AD was conceived, created, written and drawn by a gang of relatively young creators who were passionate about what they wanted to do, who loved doing sci-fi satire, who'd have done it for nothing if IPC had only asked. Tornado, in contrast, was created for no other reason than that 2000AD had been a success. It was a shame--I hate to see any comic being closed down--but nobody loved it enough to make it a success.

It's funny that Grant, as the new kid, was able to see what the old pros couldn't.

And his boldness, in turning down a promotion, that he accurately predicted was a dead-end job.

500+ posts
500+ posts

Link Copied to Clipboard