15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
"Dinosaur Mummy" Found; Has Intact Skin, Tissue
John Roach
for National Geographic News

December 3, 2007

Scientists today announced the discovery of an extraordinarily preserved "dinosaur mummy" with much of its tissues and bones still encased in an uncollapsed envelope of skin.

"Mummified" Dinosaur Discovered in Montana (October 11, 2002)
Preliminary studies of the 67-million-year-old hadrosaur, named Dakota, are already altering theories of what the ancient creatures' skin looked like and how quickly they moved, project researchers say. (See pictures of the mummy dino and its preserved skin.)

Further investigations may reveal detailed information about soft tissues, which could help unlock secrets about the evolution of dinosaurs and their descendents, the scientists added.

For now, the team continues to examine the rare specimen, which included preserved tendons and ligaments, and to prepare scientific articles on the find for publication.

"This specimen exceeds the jackpot," said excavation leader Phillip Manning, a paleontologist at Britain's University of Manchester and a National Geographic Expeditions Council grantee.

Most dinosaurs are known only from their bones, which are seldom found joined together as they would be in real life.

But "we're looking at a three-dimensional skin envelope," Manning said. "In many places it's complete and intact—around the tail, arms, and legs and part of the body."

(The excavation is the subject of Dino Autopsy, a National Geographic Channel special airing December 9 at 9 p.m. ET/10 p.m. PT. The National Geographic Society owns National Geographic News and co-owns the National Geographic Channel.)

Find of a Lifetime

The hadrosaur, or duck-billed dinosaur, was discovered in 1999 by then-teenage paleontologist Tyler Lyson on his family's North Dakota property.

It was an extremely fortuitous find, because the odds of mummification are slim, researchers noted.

----------------------------------------------------
This is superb!!!!

I can't wait to see pics of it after it has been fully excavated!

This could greatly increase our knowledge of what dinosaurs may have looked like.. and, what their internal organs may have been like.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Excellent.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Can we turn it into a deadly robot?

notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
Loved by good, feared by evil?

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Grimmlock!

life." - Tuvok.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Silly bearded person, Autobots have no skin.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
" We can rebuild him.. make him better, stronger, faster.. "

life." - Tuvok.

Link Copied to Clipboard