Next Thread
Print Thread
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
no edit beardy's posts. comedy or otherwise.

Last edited by Uschi; 2008-01-06 3:18 AM.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
How the fuck can GM be # 1??

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
because chrysler imploded and ford has been playing musical chairs with its European properties for most of the decade.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
GM trucks are still big sellers, as are their Cadillac and Saturn lines. Plus, GM has made more strides than any other US automaker to become more fuel efficient and explore alternative fuels. I think Ford, if they push a little more for fuel efficiency, will bounce back. They've already begun to bounce back from that bad rash of quality control problems at the end of the 90's and beginning of this decade. Three of the top ten best quality cars for '07 by Car & Driver (I believe) with GM the only other US car company on the list with only one vehicle. They've also got a few cars that are rated for 30+ mpg highway.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Toyota's sales were up 3 percent for the year, buoyed by new products like the Toyota Tundra pickup, which saw sales jump 57 percent.

I found this a bit interesting. Tundra's are big, gas guzzling, trucks. One would have thought the jump would be due to people buying Priuses or something.

This would also seem to contradict the idea that Ford needs to get better on fuel efficiency to fix their sales.

Personally, I think the real issue is that I've owned both Fords and Toyotas and it's clear that Toyotas are just much better built cars. In fact, the only reason I still drive a Ford, and not a Toyota is because of political/business and personal reasons.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
There was a rise with the pickup, yes; but you'd have to admit that the bulk of Toyota's business is in the Corrolla and Camry models, which are more fuel efficient than most of Ford's line. I'm sure that, even though the Tundra may be selling well, that the F150 is still far outselling them by a great number. If Ford can boost fuel efficiency, then they can make a run at the foundation of the Toyota line. Lexus has also a great standing name as a luxury vehicle. Ford needs to boost it's Lincoln, which you only really hear about the Towncar anymore, and Mercury, which you really haven't heard much of jack shit from in a decade or more, lines.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
I'm sure that, even though the Tundra may be selling well, that the F150 is still far outselling them by a great number.

Actually, I was wrong on that. Thinking about the Chevy Sierra or 1500 or whatever they're calling the line these days. I think the Tundra is working very well due to it's American design and construction over what the Japanese have offered in the past with trucks.

Though the article does point out that it's the car lots with the most fuel efficient models that did the most business.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

Tundra's are big, gas guzzling, trucks. One would have thought the jump would be due to people buying Priuses or something.

This would also seem to contradict the idea that Ford needs to get better on fuel efficiency to fix their sales.

Personally, I think the real issue is that I've owned both Fords and Toyotas and it's clear that Toyotas are just much better built cars. In fact, the only reason I still drive a Ford, and not a Toyota is because of political/business and personal reasons.

What?

You choose gas guzzling Fords as a way to stick it to "Algore"?

It's your cash.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
No. The local Ford dealer's family and my family have been close for years (like, going back to our grandparents/great-grandparents) and he's been a supporter of my career and my family's business. I'm not going to stab him in the back and start driving a competing brand if I can help it. It's not his fault the company can't get their quality shit together.

Link Copied to Clipboard