Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Okay. So, based on the constant barrage of "Oh you have to try it!" remarks by Harls, Snarf, and the Whedon lovers, I went ahead and tried Astonishing X-Men. I "gained by other sources" (i.e. downloaded) ASX issues 1 - 21.

Here's what I get from it.

John Cassady's art is, as per usual, sublime. It's some of the best art in the industries history, hands-down. Nuff said.

Now, as for the writing. It would be easy for me to just dismiss it because it's Whedon. But, honestly, I read everything with as open of mind as I could. Really, truly, honestly. I tried.

I liked his portrayal of Cyclops. I really did. He was relatively standard Scott Summers, but with a little more acceptance of the experience he has after years of being a leader. I dig it. I also liked his explanation as to why Cyke has never been able to control his ability. Good stuff, even if it stretches the reasoning just a tad.

I like the idea of S.W.O.R.D. Nice take and all.

I liked the one scene of Kitty's phasing-orgasm. That was genuinely funny. I grant Whedon that. Clever.

Other than that though........meh.

Sorry. I really, really tried to get into it. But, it's just so bland. I don't get what all the fuss is about. I really don't. He didn't do anything with them that hasn't been done a million times already. He didn't explore their relationships, their personalities, nor their status as mutants at all. It was just "Hey we're superheroes now. The end."

What was that all-of-a-sudden bitch-fight between Logan and Beast, when Hank is exploring the idea about the Mutant Cure? Huh?? It made no sense, and was silly. Not to mention, so INCREDIBLY out of character for Hank McCoy. Just bad.

Colossus returns. Okay, I buy the explanation. Fine. I've seen worse (i.e. Captain Mar-Vell). But, then what? What was the point, really? It didn't add anything to the stories. He didn't explore Peter's personality to any degree. It was just "Here's Colossus. Yay! The end."

A Living Danger Room? Really?

A new alien menace from a planet called "Breakworld? Yeah?

Cassandra Nova? Uh...again? I'd actually preferred a new Hellfire Club. Really.

All in all, a pretty underwhelming X-Men book. I don't get what all the fuss is about. And I really tried. Seriously.

But, I'll give you this: Whedon was less-annoying with this book than anything else he's ever done in any media. At least there was no real nauseating "Aren't I clever?" moments (i.e. Firefly).

Okay. That's my review...

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
My heart is a black pit of darkness.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
You stole my opening line!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I still think ASTXM is a solid read, but I don't believe what they've done since the opening storyarc has been as good as that first arc.

In many ways, I would have liked to have seen Whedon go with some different characters.

And there are times John's art is worth the price of the book alone.

We all wear a green carnation.
cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
My heart is a black pit of darkness.

Mxy, really, if you're gonna quote someone you should really copy the entire quote. Otherwise things are taken out of context.

Here:

My heart is a black pit of darkness and my vagina is full of sand.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Ah, Pro, I give you credit for giving it a shot as I know how much you loathe his work. Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea (of toke of weed), but to each their own, honey.

And Jim is right, the first arc was the best, the rest good, but not on the same level. Oh, and Cassaday's art alone is worth the price of the book.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Astonishing is good shite.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
This was the first time in a while that I liked Kitty Pryde.

Fair play!
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts

I love this cover.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think both Pro and Jim make very good points. I agree with Jim that it's a solid read, probably edging out Morrie's run, and brings to mind my favorite era, namely, the Claremont/Byrne/Cockrum run.

With that being said, I think some of Pro's criticisms ring true. Bringing back Cassandra Nova (who probably should have been a one shot character who left when Morrie did) so soon after the Morrison run didn't impress me. The living danger room idea was okay, but I thought the denounment (yet another "Professor, we think you're a real bastard" moment) didn't work.

Still, other than Charles, Whedon's characterizations were spot on. As MEM noted, this was the best Kitty Pryde in a long time. As Pro wrote, his Cyclops was a good mix of the "classic" with some new ideas. Even though Peter was a bit "blah" in terms of personality, that's always been the case with the big Ruskie.

Overall, I give the book (and Pro's review) a thumb's up.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: harleykwin

Here:

My heart is a black pit of darkness and my vagina is full of sand.

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
=
500+ posts
=
500+ posts
I've only read the current story line. Its a pretty solid read though, campared to everything else that is out there. I was thinking about picking up a subscription but my friend told me that it doesn't come out regularly at all...that sucks

Last edited by Sonhaven; 2008-01-12 6:45 PM.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, I like the book but I wait for the trades because of the schedule.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
I'm thinking of doing the same. It only comes out intermittently, which is a pain in the ass.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Ah, Pro, I give you credit for giving it a shot as I know how much you loathe his work. Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea (of toke of weed), but to each their own, honey.

THANK YOU for being the only one who realizes the sacrifice I made to be able to bitch about Whedon on equal footing...

Quote:
Oh, and Cassaday's art alone is worth the price of the book.

Oh hell, I knew that before I ever even read the first issue. I mean, I was there with him on Planetary from the beginning.

It's funny to think about it....I went to Books-a-Million one night, having just moved to a new town. I was bored, and wanted something new to read. I scanned through the trade section and found three books I was curious about. Their names? Transmetropolitan, Planetary, and The Authority. I ended picking up Planetary, first. Naturally, I devoured the hell out of it, and then immediately set about to tracking down all the individual issues, as well. Transmet was next, but I never tracked down the originals. The Authority was given that final push on me by Grimm, himself. He basically banged me over the head with a small car, screaming "READ AUTHORITY!!!". I listened. I read. He stopped hitting me with automobiles. It was love.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
It's true. Grimm has only had to revert to using scooters since.

And, yes, Grimm and Pro are still very much in love.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
and doc is still jealous. but of whom we can't figure out.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Grimm

This guy:

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
The scooters are just casual affection.

Originally Posted By: thedoctor
 Originally Posted By: Grimm

This guy:

Yes. Very. Yes.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts

THANK YOU for being the only one who realizes the sacrifice I made to be able to bitch about Whedon on equal footing...

Aw, hon, it was duly noted... ;\)

Quote:
 Quote:
Oh, and Cassaday's art alone is worth the price of the book.

Oh hell, I knew that before I ever even read the first issue. I mean, I was there with him on Planetary from the beginning.

It's funny to think about it....I went to Books-a-Million one night, having just moved to a new town. I was bored, and wanted something new to read. I scanned through the trade section and found three books I was curious about. Their names? Transmetropolitan, Planetary, and The Authority. I ended picking up Planetary, first. Naturally, I devoured the hell out of it, and then immediately set about to tracking down all the individual issues, as well. Transmet was next, but I never tracked down the originals. The Authority was given that final push on me by Grimm, himself. He basically banged me over the head with a small car, screaming "READ AUTHORITY!!!". I listened. I read. He stopped hitting me with automobiles. It was love.

Sweetie, that, um, wasn't an "automobile"....

I liked Authority, but couldn't really get into Planetary. Never read Transmet, though, but I've heard good things about it.

the Offline
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Stupid Doog User Dramatic Prairie Doog
7500+ posts Sun Jan 13 2008 10:48 PM Reading a post
Forum: Comic Books
Thread: Astonishing X-Men: A Prometheus Review

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Harls, I simply insist that you go and check out Transmet. You sincerely must. I'd send my own copies, but I gave them to Cross as a present...

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Uschi Moderator One Sour Bitch
15000+ posts Sun Jan 13 2008 10:56 PM Viewing list of forums

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Harls, I simply insist that you go and check out Transmet. You sincerely must. I'd send my own copies, but I gave them to Cross as a present...

If its in trade, I'll pick it up on your rec. Afterall, you may hate Whedon (*sigh* ), but you did rec Silver Surfer: Requium...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I tried! I tried!!

Yeah, check out Transmet's first trade. It's pretty cheap, as it's only (I believe) four issues long. If you like it, then dive on into the rest...

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
I know you did, honey and you get an "A" for effort. I have a few recs on the list I have to pic up next week....

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Transmet is in trade. it's fun. Spider Jerusalem is one of my favorite bastards.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
BTW, anyone wants a download of those X-Men issues and knows how to use WinRAR, just PM me...

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Just read all of Whedons run. Kitty Pride played the role of "heroic cute chick" that whedon loves so much. The art was the best part of the run. This is actually something I'll pick up in trades.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.

Link Copied to Clipboard