Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Yeah, probably my favorite run of that book. In fact, Stern did a lot of great work in for Marvel in the early 80s: Cap, Spider-man and the Avengers.

I think Stern was always a better Marvel writer than a DC writer. He did some decent work for DC but it wasn't as consistently excellent as his Marvel stuff.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
Yeah, I remember being at a convention with Roger Stern who was showing off Grummett's pages and saying, basically, "no one's going to miss Byrne".

That was probably Kerry Gammill, who has a similar style to Grummett. He's the one who first replaced Byrne in Superman, with Roger Stern writing.

Great artist, I wonder what happened to him.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
Byrne never bothered with anything like that (that I can think of right now), but Jurgens did a pretty decent story about a young Clark learning humility after letting his friend drink and drive.

The best part of the story was that no one got infected by kryptonite radiation and went bonkers. Also I remember thinking how nice it was that all through the story Clark never puts on any brightly colored rings that alter his behaviour. That was a really nice touch.

thank god super ghosts' friend was ejected safely from the car before the crash. and the booze didn't spill a drop!

giant picture
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
As a kid I loved Jurgens and Grummett (because his style kinda looked like Jurgens) and hated the other guys (Bog, Guice and Ordway). Bob McLeod was so-so. All of them grew on me eventually, especially the Bogdanove/Janke convo, which art-wise is probably my favorite now. Last year Harley sent me an early Man of Steel issue I didn't have and it made me come with joy (though the picture of her boobs she slipped into the comic probably helped).

Guice's work on Supes was adequate, but it was his work on Resurrection Man which I really liked.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
I liked Guice on Flash but never cared for his work on Superman, though it seems like the inker at the time was crap, but it's been a long while so I don;t remember.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
I liked Bogdanove's earlier stuff, but he totally changed how he drew Supes over his run, into a strange semi retro squashy faced version.

When I was a kid reading the Byrne/Ordway stuff I never really liked Ordway's stuff, then rereading later on I love it now

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Yeah, I remember being at a convention with Roger Stern who was showing off Grummett's pages and saying, basically, "no one's going to miss Byrne".

That was probably Kerry Gammill, who has a similar style to Grummett. He's the one who first replaced Byrne in Superman, with Roger Stern writing.

Yeah, I think you're right. It was Gammill and, yeah, he should of ended up a star artist. I wonder what DID happen to him?

few posts
few posts

few posts
few posts

few posts
few posts
From Kerry Gammill's MySpace page:
 Quote:
I got hooked on monster movies from watching Nightmare Theater on Saturday nights when I was a kid. I love all of the classic movie monsters and everything related to them. You can see my website devoted to vintage movie monsters art monsterkid.com I also love comics of the 1960s and 70s. The great silver-age Marvel comics drawn by Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko and written by Stan Lee grabbed my imagination and never let go. As a kid I drew all the time.
I later became a professional comics artist for Marvel and DC Comics. During my 18 years in the business I illustrated comics like Powerman & Iron Fist, Marvel Team-up (starring Spider-Man), and Superman. After leaving comics I became a special effects concept artist designing creatures for such movies and TV shows as Virus, Species II, Phantoms, The Outer Limits, and Tremors ( the TV series). I've also done storyboards and designed characters for the gaming industry and concept art for kid's promotions agencies. My website, kerrygammill.com, has examples of my work in all these fields.

Vanguard Productions published a book of my drawings a few years ago called Kerry Gammill's Drawing Monsters and Heroes for Comics and Film. It contains art from the various areas I've worked in during my checkered career including comics, kids' promotions and creature design for movies and TV. To tell you the truth, I hate that title and the "how-to" spin the publisher insisted on, but it does contain a lot of art I'm proud of, especially my concept art for film creatures and aliens.

For more info or to order a signed copy, check the book page on my website.
I recently completed another book for Vanguard on the art of Basil Gogos (seen here with me). Gogos' art made a big impact on me and many others of my generation. Check elswhere on this page for more info about the book.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Yeah, but why did he leave comics in the first place? And before he left why wasn't he in the top tier of artists?

few posts
few posts

I dunno.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Well, dammit, get on it man. I want answers!

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Because Rob is gay?

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
but you're not a real boy! ...anymore...

giant picture
Rob #1021216 2008-10-29 4:13 AM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I blame Geppeto!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
No, blaming Geppetto is a plot line in Fables, not Superman.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Superman fought a whale once, though. He defeated it by running around it very fast, and then molecules then physics and science BAM! Laserbeam!

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts

Yeah, I think you're right. It was Gammill and, yeah, he should of ended up a star artist. I wonder what DID happen to him?

I used to wonder the same thing about Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, my favourite artist, until I found out he was so good he pretty much confined himself to doing art for DC's merchandising. Its his stuff you see on t-shirts and pencil cases.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

only mostly dead
300+ posts
only mostly dead
300+ posts

What Supes is really thinking on this cover.

Quote:
Why couldn't I save the Mustang? All my powers, all those things I can do and I couldn't stop those drunken tarts from killing the car. I'll carry this tragedy for the rest of my days.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard