Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
so, there's lotsa neato phones out now. and i clearly have terrible taste in phones, cuz mine are always piles of feces. so, i turn to you. yes, you! out of the iphone, storm, G1, instinct, or any similar style phone that is not listed, what do you think is the best, and why? price, features, size, monthly plan, etc. whatever. whats the proper decision from this group?

giant picture
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
From what I've read and seen everyone seems to think the iphone is actually the best cell phone for what it does. Look at the other ones and see if you can live without any of the features. If you can go with the iphone. That is if you live somewhere that AT&T has good coverage.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
in terms of reception and coverage, i'd likely be fine with any of them.

my immediate interest is with the iphone, because its the "original" and the others are just trying to catch similar lightning in their bottle. i like its simplicity, i like that its purdy, i like all of the available plugins and apps etc.

the instinct seems "meh". the g1 seems currently "meh", but i think could have a good future with android and google supporting it.

the blackberry storm is the only real competitor i'd be interested in, i think. blackberry is a reliable name, i've used older models before. i like the fake-click action of the touchscreen, and i also like how it can be held sideways so my sausage fingers dont mash the keyboard (as im assuming they would on the iphone's tinier keyboard). i also like that it has at least a 3.2 mp camera. still garbage, but somehow less garbage than the pathetically low american phone 2.0 mp standard.

so, at least based on these initial, education-less reactions, the decision could be narrowed to iphone vs. blackberry

as far as i know, they're roughly the same size and weight.

i currently have at&t, which has the iphone, but i have no love for them and wouldn't be opposed to switching to verizon if the blackberry was worth it. i've heard nightmare scenarios on each of their monthly plans -- i believe iphone plans are like 100/month minimum, not sure about storm.

what else y'got?

giant picture
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I've heard that the blackberry is in a slump right now. I'd wait on the android phones until the second or third versions come out.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I have an iphone and love it. There is nothing it can't do. If you already have an itunes account that is the way to go. You can put all your music in there and watch movies and videos. Plus it's like having a computer in your palm.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
the new 3G network they use for the iphone is really fast. My wife has one too when we went to Vegas we used them non stop. We both rented movies for the trip. If you are home at all in the next few weeks let me know and you can play with mine for awhile. I promise not to slip any roofies in your drink.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think the bottom line is how much you actually need to use it for work and to what extent you need it to sync seamlessly with your desktop. The more your "work" needs the more I think you need to use a blackberry.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
iPhones are well known for being shitty gimmick phones.

If you are not fussed about touchscreen, and dont want something as "computeresque" as a Blackberry, then you cant go wrong with a Nokia N95 (the N96 is just out, but I am not sure whether its widely available outside Europe).

The N95 black has 8gig built in, and a 5mp camera plus all the usual smart phone features!

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I agree with Nowhereman. If you want a great smart phone buy an unlocked Nokia N series phone.

Go to phonescoop.com or something to take a look at the features.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think Sneaky has praised N series phones too, but I don't really want to speak for her.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I have just downloaded a whole bunch of applications for my N95.
Its amazing what can be done with it (including playing N-Gage games if thats what floats your boat).

Been using the phone for something like 18 months, and I still love it, despite how weathered it looks now!

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
have we finally got so politically correct that we must refer to it as the N-Phone?

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: PJP
I have an iphone and love it. There is nothing it can't do. If you already have an itunes account that is the way to go. You can put all your music in there and watch movies and videos. Plus it's like having a computer in your palm.

whats your monthly plan like? is it in the $100 range?

If you are home at all in the next few weeks let me know and you can play with mine for awhile.

hot.

bring your iphone!

Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
I think the bottom line is how much you actually need to use it for work and to what extent you need it to sync seamlessly with your desktop. The more your "work" needs the more I think you need to use a blackberry.

it'd be limited to email, only. anything else i use for work needs a giganto monitor, so a phone wouldn't help, regardless. in which case, i think iphone can sync up to email in a fashion similar to crackberries. i think.

Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
iPhones are well known for being shitty gimmick phones.

yeah, i figure that's true. but, at the same time, i think thats part of the appeal to me.

i know (know!) i'm going to be pissed off and hate whatever phone i get within a month or two, as that is the pattern of the past 10 years or whatever. to me, the iphone would essentially be a toy more than a phone, and i think that's where it's strengths are, as well.

If you are not fussed about touchscreen, and dont want something as "computeresque" as a Blackberry, then you cant go wrong with a Nokia N95 (the N96 is just out, but I am not sure whether its widely available outside Europe). The N95 black has 8gig built in, and a 5mp camera plus all the usual smart phone features!

the 5mp camera is awesome, i dont understand why they can't bump up the limit in the states more. i have the n75 now, which i know isn't in the same league as the n9x series, but it's really put me off nokias, because it's shit.

i'd also be a little freaked out by the price tag of a non-deal phone. one of the bigger appeals of the list above is they're each about $200 up front. i think the n95 is twice that, but haven't looked around too extensively

giant picture
Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
The N95 is well worth the 500-700 tag.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Don't go with the iphone. As cool as it is, AT&T/Cingulars customer service is shit. I had them for years and they screwed me so many times. The first time they did I was looking for a new phone, and they told me I need to get digital because their analogues would be out of service within a year, so I bought a shitty digital phone that I didn't like, when I'd have spent just as much on an analogue I did like. Oh, and they worked for another seven years anyway.

The second time I decided to upgrade from that phone after two years. The sales rep took my phone. When I demanded to know why he was taking my phone the manager said under the terms of my contract I had to forfeit it for my "deal" to take effect, and since I already signed the contract I had to do it. Later I found out they took my phone to sell on e-bay.
Then the liquid crystal display on my new phone blew out, and AT&T informed me I'd have to pay $50 for my replacement phone, which turned out to be a refurbished piece of shit. After constantly having this phone cycle off/on or freeze for a few months, I was informed that if I wanted another replacement there would be another $50, so I turned it down and went to Verizon, paying the $275 to get out of my crappy contract. Best move ever. After a few months of problems with my phone, Verizon said they'd send me a brand new phone and credit my phone bill a month, even being apologetic about it.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Jesus, you guys have it pretty shitty over there when it comes to mobile phones.

Over here, you generally pay nothing for your phone if you are going onto a contract, and pay an optional (minimal) fee per month so that if your phone goes wrong, its fixed or replaced for free (well not really free as you are paying insurance, but you know what I mean).

Also, on top of that, once your contract is due for expiry (either 12 or 18 months usually), and you wish to renew, you can get a new phone free of charge (and you keep the old one).

The only way you generally ever buy a phone is because you want a new model before your contract expires, or you are a pay as you go customer rather than a contract customer.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
I think Sneaky has praised N series phones too, but I don't really want to speak for her.
If you did you'd probably have to put a cock in your mouth first for it to be authentic.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: sneaky bunny
The N95 is well worth the 500-700 tag.

that very well may be true, but that's outta my league for a phone.

Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
Don't go with the iphone. As cool as it is, AT&T/Cingulars customer service is shit.

i've had my run ins with at&t, too. and tmobile, voice stream, xingular, and sprint. i hate all of them! every few years i leave for the greener grass, only to find out its just poo painted green!

my most recent hastle with at&t, which also relates to nowie's point, is when i tried to get the iphone about 6 months ago. it's $200. ...if you're new, or available for an upgrade. $400 if not. i've been in contract for 3-4 years via at&t and spoke with maybe 20 different levels of manager to yell at them about why i couldn't be bumped up to the new status. then, i threatened to quit and go elsewhere, and they told me there'd be a $175 charge to quit early.

and then i lost it.

i got real quiet, then icily asked: "...so... its $400 for a loyal customer that has been with you for years already... or, i could quit with you right now and sign back up in 5 seconds for a total of $375? you're filled with shit, right?"

never really got a great response.

Over here, you generally pay nothing for your phone if you are going onto a contract, and pay an optional (minimal) fee per month so that if your phone goes wrong, its fixed or replaced for free (well not really free as you are paying insurance, but you know what I mean).

they have free phones you can get with contracts, but they're always garbage. figure, if our best phones are the phones you guys had two years ago, the free ones we can get are the ones you had 5 years ago.

and there is insurance you can get, but like doog said, its a scam -- you typically still have to pay to get the replacement or the shipping or whatever, and its always a refurbished or garbage deal. one giant trap.

giant picture
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I know everyone here is bashing the iphone but I have to say I love it and it really is a great phone and yeah Rob I have 2 iphones with the internet plans and unlimited text and it is under 200.00 for both phones combined. You can sync all your email accounts to it. Rob next time you are near an Apple store just stick your head in and play with one. Everyone that works there will answer your technical questions. The AT&T service is fine here in NY and NJ. I took mine to Florida and Vegas and it worked real good there too. I had Verizon before this and the service is comparable.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen

they have free phones you can get with contracts, but they're always garbage. figure, if our best phones are the phones you guys had two years ago, the free ones we can get are the ones you had 5 years ago.

and there is insurance you can get, but like doog said, its a scam -- you typically still have to pay to get the replacement or the shipping or whatever, and its always a refurbished or garbage deal. one giant trap.

See thats the big difference, new customers will generally get a free phone that is the latest model (depending on the tariff etc), ditto for upgrades (although the top line phones which retail for £500+, you usually have to pay something like £200).

As for insurance. Unless its obvious abuse, they will usually either tell you to bring it back to the store, or if you are an online customer, give you a freepost envelope to send it back.
You dont get a temp phone while they replace or repair it, but they do it all for free, and wont send you a refurbished phone either (unless its your phone they have fixed of course).

Oh, they aint perfect, but they sound miles better than the people you guys have to deal with.

Funny eyes
100+ posts
Funny eyes
100+ posts
Dear Robulet, I always saw you as more of a dictaphone type of chappie.

Lets dance!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
it'd be limited to email, only. anything else i use for work needs a giganto monitor, so a phone wouldn't help, regardless. in which case, i think iphone can sync up to email in a fashion similar to crackberries. i think.

This article's about a year old but it describes the advantages and disadvantages of each for email.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/07/25/iphone-v-blackberry-side-by-side-two-week-comparison/

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Looks like Uschi's vote goes for the iPhone gayness!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
that is scary.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
it's $200. ...if you're new, or available for an upgrade. $400 if not.

to scope out my options, i just got off the phone with an at&t rep, seeing if i could even get the iphone for the $200 intro cost or $400 fuck you cost. according to them, i'm in fuck you land until pretty much april.

if they're not willing to budge on that, and it doesn't seem like they're too willing to play ball, that could be my decision maker right there.

giant picture
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
You should get one of these.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
well i wont, nowhereman. you hear me?! i wont!

if they're not willing to budge on that, and it doesn't seem like they're too willing to play ball, that could be my decision maker right there.

they blinked!

i am now iphoned. the honeymoon period will last several hours, so i'm going to enjoy them!

giant picture
Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
I've seen people like you before, but I had to pay admission!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts

they blinked!

i am now iphoned. the honeymoon period will last several hours, so i'm going to enjoy them!
you won't regret it.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Tony Clifton
I've seen people like you before, but I had to pay admission!

you go straight to hell, tony clifton.

they blinked!

you won't regret it.

it's been fun so far. i really like the idea of the apps, and that is what eventually sold me on the iphone direction. above and beyond the screen (which is fun) and music and all that, the apps really make it possible for the phone to be continually updated and perfected. (in a nerd-similar note, stuff like facebook apps and wordpress apps are really in the same vein, giving smarter reg'lar folks out there the ability to develop cool new features for the mass audience)

i already have like 50 apps!

giant picture
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
When did the random chat forum become robs blog? Is the gaydiation spreading this far?

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
don't look now, rex, but i think there's a straw on that top shelf! impress us with your reach!

giant picture
Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
You have the face of a saint. Saint Bernard, that is.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
When did the random chat forum become robs blog? Is the gaydiation spreading this far?

It's his message board. It was inevitable.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
so's losing your virginity, but we gave up hope on you a long time ago.

Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
King Snarf has a face only his mother could love...and she hates it!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf
 Originally Posted By: rex

It's his message board. It was inevitable.

Shut the fuck up, scrotum face!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20081205/bs_nf/63427;_ylt=Ar1lL7JxNVd6mQGZrNd_yRwjtBAF

Quote:
Rolling back prices is what Wal-Mart does best, but will the super retailer roll back prices for Apple's iPhone as part of its Operation Main Street promise to cut costs for Christmas?

Holiday shopping for hot items at a bargain price took on a new form this week as rumors flew on the Web about a 4GB iPhone to be available at Wal-Mart for $99. That phone was initially to be rolled out at a $399 price tag.

The tip about the 4GB iPhone and rumors of Wal-Mart shoppers being trained in activating iPhones was posted on the Boy Genius Report. The site also featured photos of a training manual with the Wal-Mart name and logo on the manual.

No Official Comment

"We have made no official comment on offering the iPhone," said Kelli Cheeseman, a spokesperson for Wal-Mart.

"A $99 iPhone could be an extremely important product as Apple continues the drive to grow market share and Wal-Mart would be the perfect place for that device to land," said Michael Gartenberg, vice president for mobile strategy at Jupitermedia. "It would also set the stage for the phone to begin to fragment into devices, with different features at different price points. Much like what happened with the iPod."

Currently, the company has more than 80 iPhone-related products, including carrying cases, chargers, protective film, and antennas available on its Web site, but the products are not shown to be available at retail stores.

The rumored $99 price tag for the 4GB iPhone is expected to come with a two-year agreement, but that may not be enough even for Wal-Mart shoppers.

"Although leading mobile operators are subsidizing more smartphones to reach lower prices, they tie the device to two-year contracts with monthly data-plan rates, which remain too expensive for the mainstream user," said Roberta Cozza, a Gartner analyst.

Still, Gartenberg said most subsidized phones come with a contract.

"The key is what the service plan for that device might look like," Gartenberg said. "In addition, to many customers, the cost of acquisition of the device short-term is more important than monthly fees."

Slowing Growth

Worldwide sales of smartphones to end users totaled 36.5 million in the third quarter, an 11.5 percent increase from the same period in 2007, according to Gartner. While Nokia took the lead, with RIM's Blackberry in second, Apple took third place.

Apple improved its market share to 12.9 percent in the third quarter and shipments during the third quarter were nearly seven million, according to Gartner. Apple's sales increased more than four times compared to the same period in 2007 because of its geographical reach, availability in more markets, and the decrease in prices.

Still, analysts say sales growth will begin to slow.

"The current economic climate is negatively impacting sales of higher-end devices," said Cozza. "Going forward, we should expect the smartphone device market to continue to grow, but at a slower pace."

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I thought iPhone was an AT&T exclusive. Where I live, at least, Wal-Mart partners with Verizon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard