Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Ex Machina #43
More Evidence about Mitch’s Sexuality

Ex Machina is Brian K. Vaughan and Tony Harris's superb tale of the "real world" superhero-turned-politician Mitchell Hundred.

The series is winding its way toward its conclusion at #50.

One of the ongoing points of interest about Mitchell Hundred is his sexuality. Both his mother and the reporter Suzanne Padilla ask him, directly and pointedly, on separate occasions, if he's gay. On both occasions, he puts them off, not giving them a negative or affirmative answer. Many readers, myself included, have taken this lack-of-denial to mean that Mitchell is, in fact, gay, but that he hasn't come out (for whatever reasons, perhaps personal, perhaps political, probably some of both).

The storyarc "Tag" had as its major subplot Mayor Hundred's efforts to perform the wedding ceremony of two gay men, one of whom was the brother of Mitchell's deputy mayor Dave Wylie. During this storyarc, Mitch and Padilla go out to dinner and he takes a public opportunity to hold her hand during dinner, but nothing sexual ever becomes of it that evening. She later accosts him on the street and slaps his face for using her as his beard to blunt rumors that he's gay. He apologizes, but does not deny he's gay.

In the short arc, "Off The Grid," Mitch travels to the Southwest in order to help his mother, Martha Hundred. While flying back to New York with her, Mrs. Hundred asks him, "You...you aren't gay, are you?" To which Mitch replies, "One step at a time, Mrs. Hundred."

Which brings us to #43. In the last series of panels, Mitch is recording for his mentor Kremlin what can only sound like final statement prior to his battle with his "arch-nemesis" Jack Pherson. In the next-to-last panel, he instructs Kremlin, "And tell Bradbury [his friend and bodyguard] I loved him."

Mitchell Hundred is indeed a gay man. I had faith that BKV would continue to reveal this aspect of Hundred's sexuality before the series ends, giving those of us who care this most important revelation.

Brian K. Vaughan has created a kind of Batman-cum-Superman set in the real world. Mitch's parents are named Thomas and Martha. And Mitch has other-worldly super-powers. But the interesting spin on this is that, unlike Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent, this more real world super-hero is gay.

More evidence to support that he is gay...(and perhaps some clarification on his relationship with Bradbury)

The Ex Machina Masquerade Special (October, 2007), is set in 1999, shortly after Mitch's accident. Kremlin does not yet know Bradbury.

On Halloween, Mitch is robbed at a pharmacy trying to get meds after his accident, The robbers stole the pocket watch he inherited from his grandmother. Mitch goes to Bradbury's apartment looking for support from a friend. Upon arriving at Bradbury's apartment, Bradbury calls him "Mr. Hundred." Mitch says, "For the thousandth time, I beg you to call me Mitchell." (the emphasis is BKV's) Mitch asks if he's interrupting Bradbury. When told no, he tells Bradbury that he was robbed that evening. While Bradbury wants to take Mitch to make a police report, Mitch clearly wants only to unburden himself. He tells Bradbury about the watch's sentimental value and that he can hear the watch calling to him. Of course, Bradbury, not knowing of Mitch's ability, looks askance at Mitch and tells him he just needs to rest and has him crash at his apartment. Shortly before hitting the hay, Mitch tells Bradbury, "You've been there for me every step of the way..." Bradbury just replies, "Shut up and get some z's, big guy."

Several hours later, during the night, Mitch wakes and phones Kremlin. This is where things get interesting with respect to my original point about Mitch.

Mitch: "Kremlin, it's me. I'm over at...at a friend's place." (emphasis BKV's)

Kremlin: " Mitchell, caller I.D. says you are with man. (emphasis BKV's)

Mitch: "Yeah, his name's Bradbury. I think you'll like him."

I think Mitch's comments to Bradbury: "You've been there for me every step of the way" reveal a deeper affection on Mitch's part than just friendship. Furthermore, Mitch has to think, on the spot, of a way to characterize Bradbury when Mitch is talking to Kremlin. So he stammers that Bradbury's a friend. I also think that Kremlin knows that Mitch is gay and, despite his affection for Mitch, does not approve. His remark of "You are with man," to me, say a lot. It's the middle of the night when Mitch calls him and one of the first things Kremlin notes is that Mitch's is with a man.

Put this together with what we now know are Mitch's comments toward Bradbury in issue #43, and I think it's much safer to say that, truly, Mitch loves Bradbury in a romantic way, not just as a close Platonic friend. Mitchell Hundred is gay.

We all wear a green carnation.
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I mean he certainly isn't the first. He crtainly won't be the last.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
This book is still being published?

Seriously. I had no idea.

I read the first trade, found it kind of boring and never thought about the book again until now.

6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Yes, still being published. If it maintains a monthly schedule, it should end in February 2010 with #50. Issue #45 will mark the beginning of the final arc for the series.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Don't see it. I wouldn't be shocked if you were right, but I kinda doubt it.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
So?

jimbo is one of those queers that is so secure with himself he has to announce to everyone else when a fictional character is outed.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
It's a bit like when the press in my country discovers that an US celebrity has a vague connection to us (like Hurley from Lost, whose parents or something are Chilean), and they run long articles exploiting the thin connection and claiming him as "ours".

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
What about the fact that Obama is a secret spy from your country?
Oh shit, I wasnt sposed to say that was I...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
So?

jimbo is one of those queers that is so secure with himself he has to announce to everyone else when a fictional character is outed.

Here's the thing. The Fiancee and I watch Top Chef. At the beginning of this season one of the chefs at the beginning intros says it is hard to be a gay chef.

Why? I am not by any means a prude but I don't and have never discussed my sexual exploits with my coworkers.

It's rarely even come up.

Heterosexual or homosexual you have no business discussing your sexuality at work.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm proud to be an asshole.

I didn't choose to be.

Born that way.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
When you're at work you should be defined by your work, everything else is secondary. Since it is a reality TV show the producers told him to say that to create drama.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Could be.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Here's the thing. The Fiancee and I watch Top Chef. At the beginning of this season one of the chefs at the beginning intros says it is hard to be a gay chef.

Why?

He keeps sticking the éclairs up his ass.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
that ain't cream filling!

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
But seriously, so what? It's not like when Marvel had North Star come out of the closet. Homosexual characters have been happening long enough that only the hardcore fanboy/girls gives a shit about them being gay anymore, especially creator owned projects where it doesn't blow some nerds mind. and it's only annoying when sexuality defines a character. If a characters sole trait is that they like banging members of their own sex, then maybe it's time to drop a nuke on them and be done with it.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Yeah, like I said, I wouldn't be shocked if Hundred was gay, but it would be as relevant to the story as revealing that he's half Albanese.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
but it would be as relevant to the story as revealing that he's half Albanese.

Mother fucker, don't even joke about that shit! That's crossed the line!

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
But did he cross the line with or without a valid passport?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Two words:

Midnighter. Apollo.

6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
Yeah, like I said, I wouldn't be shocked if Hundred was gay, but it would be as relevant to the story as revealing that he's half Albanese.

I certainly understand that. However, I find it worthy of mention that BKV's taken his "super-hero in the real world" and made him gay. I mean, Hundred's parents are named Thomas and Martha (you listening there, Robbo??).

He's the lone super-hero in his world and he's queer.

I think that's terrific.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I don't think rob is going to validate your queerness either.

Link Copied to Clipboard