Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Ooh, burn!

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
It's a "burn" because he's trying to get him in a technicality of grammar? Snarf, you really are limited, aren't you?

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
You misspelled "retarded".

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
 Originally Posted By: Nöwheremän
Any genre is risky, you moron, as I pointed out with the super hero genre.

For every successful super hero movie there is an equally unsuccessful one.

Excuse me, but aren't you the same poster who insists that every film is a success due to DVD/video sales and TV airings?

You are a moron!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf
Ooh, burn!

Snarf defends G-Man...G-Man may very well commit suicide.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf
Ooh, burn!

straight guys dont talk like that.

Virgin
25+ posts
Virgin
25+ posts
Though I may wish to partake of the male member, I have still yet to fill one of my orifices with a fine piece of man meat.

Were I to do so, I would surely stand up and aplaud afterwards.

All I've ever wanted was someone to be in love with, and have that same person be in love with me, and I'm starting to realize that that is never going to happen.
snarf is a gay bald homosexual
200+ posts
snarf is a gay bald homosexual
200+ posts
Fuck off!

Snarf licks the balls of his own mother.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Any genre is risky, you moron, as I pointed out with the super hero genre.

For every successful super hero movie there is an equally unsuccessful one.

Excuse me, but aren't you the same poster who insists that every film is a success due to DVD/video sales and TV airings?

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Yes, I am a moron!

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
OP Offline
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
You didn't use the crying icon in your original post. I think his eyesight is starting to fail.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Fuck. Yes.

G-Man, we await your admission of error. We don't judge you, though. It happens. I said Keaton couldn't be Batman...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
Fuck. Yes.

G-Man, we await your admission of error...

Huh? For what?

Originally Posted By: the G-man
....Cogburn is, in many ways, Wayne's signature role and he made the character his own. Not unlike, say, Eastwood and Dirty Harry.

That being said, I think Bridges could play the character well. It wouldn't be John Wayne's Rooster Cogburn but it could be a lot of fun.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Dude!~I'm really high thanks to your The Rock is Dead thread! You're always the bad guy, so be the bad guy. Dammit!

And some things...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I could've killed you, Dick. I could've killed you...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
musical score seems... misplaced?

giant picture
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
in the ass?

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
true gritly

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It looked great, especially the shoot out on horseback, but the trailer lost me at the words "Matt Damon"

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
That's when you got lost in his eyes.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
all he heard was Air Supply....

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
The Dude abides.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Whoa! I finally watched that True Grit trailer. First of all, I like how he's NOT trying to sound anything like John Wayne. Second, contrary to G-Man not being able to separate his politics from his entertainment, I think Damon looks and sounds awesome in that trailer. I am genuinely surprised, but baby-face-Damon is aging into a serious, confidant actor. And finally, I don't know who the girl is, but I thought it was a midget for a moment. She sounds about twenty-years-older than she looks. Perfect.

And they also got Brolin in there? I'll see it in the theater.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Your Brolin obsession is tearing these boards apart!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Someone needs to re-dub the new trailer with the original music... \:lol\:

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://www.cleveland.com/moviebuff/index.ssf/2010/12/jeff_bridges_on_true_grit_work.html

Quote:
Jeff Bridges is such a cool, accomplished actor, it's hard to believe he would be starring in a remake and a sequel in the same year. Let alone the same month.

Bridges plays crusty U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn in Joel and Ethan Coen's new take on "True Grit," which opens nationwide Wednesday. He also plays computer whiz Kevin Flynn in "Tron: Legacy," the digital, 3-D extravaganza that opened Friday. (To complete his busy December, he's also slated to host "Saturday Night Live" tonight.)

"Tron" is a fun ride and reprises a role Bridges originated in 1982. But it was the news that he was reuniting with the Coen brothers that generated the most anticipatory movie buzz. Their sole previous collaboration, 12 years ago, resulted in the much beloved "The Big Lebowski."

For some, Bridges will only and always be the Dude, the philosophical, White Russian-swilling, weed-inhaling, rug-seeking bowling enthusiast.

The classic film, with John Goodman, Julianne Moore and Steve Buscemi, left a trail of festivals, books, clubs, catchphrases -- "The Dude abides" -- and a religion: The Church of the Latter Day Dude (or Dudeism). Earlier this month, a revival screening of "The Big Lebowski" at the Cedar Lee in Cleveland Heights outdrew the theater's five first-run movies combined. What's Bridges' take on all that?

"I know I'm partial, but for one thing, it's just a great movie," Bridges said on the phone from Los Angeles.

"I'm one of those guys who watches TV with my clicker well in hand and when I come across a movie like 'The Godfather,' I think, well I'll just watch a couple of scenes. Then I get hooked. The same thing happens to me if I come across 'Lebowski.' I get hooked and have to see it through to the end.

"I think there's also a special thing, as with most cult films, that when people first saw 'Lebowski,' they kind of stumbled on it. There wasn't too much hype. It wasn't a big hit when it first came out. So there's that added pleasure of discovering something without having it shoved down your throat. Now it's 'What, you haven't seen "Lebowski!" You're kidding me!' And, it's a movie you can watch over and over again. You glean different little bits of enjoyment every time you see it."

As the legend grew, the question became when the prolific Coens would reunite with their Dude?

But the brothers and Bridges were busy with other projects. Since "Lebowski," Bridges has made more than a dozen films, including "The Contender," "Seabiscuit," and "Iron Man." Last March, after four previous nominations, he won the best-actor Oscar for playing broken-down country singer Bad Blake in "Crazy Heart." By then, he had already circled back to the Coens.

"I remember running into both Joel and Ethan at a party a few years ago, and they said they were interested in doing a Western and maybe we could work on something together."

That something became "True Grit."

The first film version of Charles Portis' 1968 novel, about young Mattie Ross seeking her father's killer in 1870s Arkansas, was released in 1969. Directed by Henry Hathaway, it starred John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn, Kim Darby as Mattie and Glen Campbell as Texas Ranger La Boeuf. It's a well-made, entertaining Western best known for winning Wayne his only Oscar as the drunken, trigger-happy, eye-patch-wearing marshal.

The notion of the Coen brothers -- the dark duo behind "Fargo," "Raising Arizona" and "No Country for Old Men" -- remaking a John Wayne movie sounded bizarre.

"I had the exact same reaction," said Bridges. "I said, 'I know you guys were talking about making a Western, but hasn't this one been done?' They said, 'We're not remaking the movie, we're making the book.' Then I read the book and I saw what they were talking about. The Charles Portis novel reads like a Coen brothers script. It's so wonderful. And I was so relieved when they said they were basing it on the book, and not referencing the movie, so I didn't have to reference the movie."

The Coens' version also stars Matt Damon as La Boeuf, Josh Brolin as murderer Tom Chaney and newcomer Hailee Steinfeld (13 when filming started) as Mattie.

"Hailee was so impressive," said Bridges. "I was very concerned about who we were going to get to play that part, because she's the star of the film, we're telling her story, and it's a difficult role for even a seasoned actor. I can remember how excited I was after completing our first day together and seeing that she was totally up the challenge."

Steinfeld was recently nominated for a Screen Actors Guild award and could be in the upcoming Oscar mix as well.

"And she's such a sweet person," Bridges added. "I think that speaks to her parents raising her so well. She's a gorgeous girl who really enjoys being the age she is. She turned 14 on the set, so she's still a young girl. But she's not champing at the bit to be 25."

Bridges, who just turned 61, said winning the Oscar has not dramatically altered his career. The best things to come out of the whole "Crazy Heart" experience, he said, was being able to work on songs with producer T. Bone Burnett (Bridges will release an album next year), and that it heightened his "fame quotient" to speak out on causes such as the campaign to end childhood hunger in America called No Kid Hungry.

He also finds himself at an interesting crossroads for the movie industry.

On one side is "True Grit," a beautifully told literary Western shot in the best tradition of classic filmmaking. On the other is "Tron: Legacy," a 3-D, digital, CGI confection with video game tie-ins that can be viewed on giant Imax screens.

"It's fascinating. We had to do a reshoot for 'Tron' about a week after 'True Grit.' I had the same makeup man on both. So one day, he's putting dust all over me for the Old West, and the next minute he's putting black dots on my face so I can do some performance-capture stuff. You know, it's making movies with no cameras at all, and no sets, and no costumes. Everything is done in post-production."

What does that mean for the performer?

"It requires a whole new batch of acting skills," he said. "In a funny sense, it's actually more primitive because you've got to go back to when you were a kid. You don't have all the great sets to rely on. You just have your imagination."

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I don't know who the girl is, but I thought it was a midget for a moment. She sounds about twenty-years-older than she looks. Perfect.

Perfect for Wondy

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
\:lol\:

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
\:lol\: \:lol\:

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Good film.

The release was a little tainted for me though since Bridges and the Coen brothers tried to market it as something that was required to compete with the book's previous adaptation to be truly notable. Bridges made it sound like their movie's closer depiction of the book eliminated any significance that the original might have carried.

I realize their intention was simply to distance their project from the John Wayne film, but overall it came across as rather back-handed.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
From what I've read, the only major difference seems to be the newer film kept the book's downer epilogue.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I'll have to rewatch the original at some point but the remake was all good up till that epilogue. It might have worked in the book but it weakened the movie.

Fair play!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard