Next Thread
Print Thread
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
CNN:
  • Scientists at a government lab here are trying to use the world's largest laser -- it's the size of three football fields -- to set off a nuclear reaction so intense that it will make a star bloom on the surface of the Earth.

The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory's formula for cooking up a sun on the ground may sound like it's stolen from the plot of an "Austin Powers" movie. But it's no Hollywood fantasy: The ambitious experiment will be tried for real, and for the first time, late this summer.

If they're successful, the scientists hope to solve the global energy crisis by harnessing the energy generated by the mini-star.

Gee, what bad thing could possibly happen with a man-made sun ignited on the surface of the Earth??

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

Gee, what bad thing could possibly happen with a man-made sun ignited on the surface of the Earth??

Another disaster movie from Hollywood.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
CNN:
  • Scientists at a government lab here are trying to use the world's largest laser -- it's the size of three football fields -- to set off a nuclear reaction so intense that it will make a star bloom on the surface of the Earth.

The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory's formula for cooking up a sun on the ground may sound like it's stolen from the plot of an "Austin Powers" movie. But it's no Hollywood fantasy: The ambitious experiment will be tried for real, and for the first time, late this summer.

If they're successful, the scientists hope to solve the global energy crisis by harnessing the energy generated by the mini-star.

Hawking demonstrated the badness of that exact thing on last weeks "Into the Universe With Stephen Hawking" prog on discovery. Very cool.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Scorned as the one who ran
300+ posts
300+ posts
Scientist have made many good discoveries over the years. They have also made many horrific discoveries such as the atomic bomb, asbestos, the list goes on and on. Each time they were promoted as being safe under proper supervision, time and again they weren't supervised properly(proliferation of nuclear weapons), or unpredicted side effects(cancer from asbestos) occur.

To just get a consensus by a few elite scientists and then give them money to play with our world is insane. The treatment of scientists in this day and age reminds me of Catholic Priests in the past. If they are a Priest there motives must be pure. Today it's scientist. The media acts as if all scientist are these pure people looking to understand the world. As if they are not a cross section of society. Society mind you contains saints and heroes, but it also contains ladder climbers, ego cases, and sociopaths.

Giving unlimited funds to people that can destroy everything we know either on accident or on purpose is idiotic in my opinion.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
fucking magnets

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch
fucking magnets

how do they work?

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Y’all motherfuckers lying, and getting me pissed!

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I want to see fucking magnets!

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
dude, you need to be of legal age first.

300+ posts
300+ posts
It's ironic Gary Coleman has passed.

I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
What next, caged baby universes?

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
300+ posts
300+ posts
Pedophile.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Pedophile.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Pedophile.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
CNN:

We survived the artificial black hole... ;\)

Also, that type of tests can also be used to research new hydrogen bombs, which I'm certain you find agreeable, G-man.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!

Link Copied to Clipboard