Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-sylvester-stallone-blames-batman.html
 Quote:
Back in the 1980s, they were the biggest stars in Hollywood, both in terms of box-office receipts and bicep circumference. But the glory days of the brawny action heroes -- Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Van Damme, and the like -- eventually faded. In their place, a new breed of '90s star took over: younger, leaner, and nowhere near as macho. By decade's end, Keanu Reeves was a huge action star (shudder to think).

Where did it all go wrong? According to an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Sylvester Stallone puts the blame squarely on the caped shoulders of one comic book hero.

"It was the first 'Batman' movie," Stallone told the Times, in reference to the 1989 movie adaptation starring Michael Keaton as the Caped Crusader. He went on to say, "The action movies changed radically when it became possible to Velcro your muscles on," a clear dig at how the trim Keaton was encased in a sculpted Batsuit for the film. Stallone joked, "I wish I had thought of Velcro muscles myself... "I didn't have to go to the gym for all those years."

Stallone adds that the director Tim Burton's stylish take on the superhero story changed what audiences expected from an action flick: "It was the beginning of a new era. The visual took over. The special effects became more important than the single person. That was the beginning of the end."

It's ironic, then, that Stallone will be going to this year's San Diego Comic-Con -- the center for all things geeky -- to promote his upcoming movie, "The Expendables," which is a true throwback to the action hits of the '80s. In the film, Stallone (who also directed) leads a team of mercenaries to overthrow a corrupt South American dictator. It costars Jason Statham, Jet Li, Mickey Rourke, Terry Crews, and even Stallone's "Rocky IV" nemesis, Dolph Lundgren.

"The Expendables" is also notable for being the first time Stallone has appeared on-screen with fellow '80s icons Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis. Stallone told the Times that each of them had their own on-screen persona which made set them apart from one another: "Arnold was king of the one-liners. Bruce was witty and talkative... And I was pretty silent." He added that their differences made it impossible for him to see himself in his friend's signature roles. "Arnold was relentless, like this perfect machine. People asked if I could have played the Terminator. Are you kidding? Not a chance, I never could have played the Terminator."

As it happens, Bruce Willis will be at Comic-Con this weekend promoting his upcoming movie "Red," which also is an action flick about an aging team of experts. It stars Oscar-winners Morgan Freeman and Helen Mirren.

Stallone will preview "The Expendables" at Comic-Con on Thursday, and the movie will muscle its way into movie theaters on August 13.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I don't fully know about this entirely. Yeah, Batman did do what Stallone says it did, but was that all? After all, Willis is still going strong as an action movie star. Arnie still made movies in the 90's, though maybe not quite as popular as his 80's fare. I'd have to say that Die Hard had a bigger impact on changing the action movie dynamic. Pretty much everyone tried to copy the John McLain beaten and bruised hero after that film other than the more 'indestructible' heroes that Stallone and Arnie did.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I suppose an argument can be made that Batman was a big factor in less "macho" actors...but even before Batman you had guys like Tom Cruise (Top Gun, Legend) tipping his toe in the action/adventure genre and making producers think that younger pretty boys could sell tickets to action movies. And, of course, Harrison Ford was never a real gym rat but he was still starring in the Indy films, the Jack Ryan films, etc.

And, as for special effects, I think Sly's absolving his pal Arnie (and James Cameron) of a lot of responsibility there. Between the Terminator films and True Lies I think they did more than anyone to make action films a special effects driven genre.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I remember thinking to myself around the time the first two x-men movies came that comic book movies were a new version of action movies. Instead of having generic characters that no one knew of comic book movies had established characters that you knew of before watching the movie which I thought was a big help.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I think audience tastes just changed. Vin Diesel tried to copy the indestructible, macho hero route and couldn't maintain it. Pitch Black was interesting because of the concept and well as his character being more asshole than badass. Chronicles of Riddick fell flat because it made him seem flawless and unstoppable. I think people want to see their heroes work for it and maybe bleed in the process. Lethal Weapon and Predator are two good 80's examples of movies that did that and are still very popular today.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I also think we are talking about the advent of the computer in our lives, and the internet. Audiences who crave mindless action movies fell into a craze over effects, AND over more extreme ideas (i.e. The Matrix), rather than meathead-kicks-ass. Also, social changes morphed through the sensitive 90's pseudo-hippies, so there's a very liberal quality to the 90's, versus the 'US vs Them' Cold War mentality of the 80's. The only difference now is that it's anti-PC to be overtly political (i.e. action hero fights the terrorists) with your action movies, because of the liberal establishment of Hollywood that has taken over in the 00's. Thus, the renaissance of the Comic Book Hero. It's a fantasy world where the lines are pretty clearly marked, that allow not only escapism, but maybe even a little satisfaction in seeing the bad guy get his ass kicked. It also has the added advantage of the effects born from the 90's, so there's some good in there...

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
AND THEN THERE'S A TWIST AT THE END!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Spoilers!

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
plus, the simple "action hero" got very played out by decade's end. too many crap sequels that watered down the original films. Stallone's idea is very simplistic and neglects all the other factors listed here.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
If it wasn't for the internet Copland would've made a billion dollars.

Bow ties are coool.
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
heh. I liked Copland.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
The more I think about this the dumber it seems. Superhero movies are a totally different genre than Action films. Even though they have action they're more closely related to sci-fi/fantasy than any other genre.
From what I remember the kind of action films that Stallone did were replaced in the 1990's by Seagal and Van Damme ie martial arts became more important than raw muscle.
And looking at his filmography he had a few decent hits in the 1990s, he also made Stop of my mom will shoot.
And Bruce Willis really isn't on the same level as Stallone. Willis is a good actor with a normal physique who does movies with action, not a musclebound action star.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Willis is a good actor with a normal physique who does movies with action, not a musclebound action star.

On a related note, it's sometimes hard to remember that Stallone started out as something of a critics' darling. Rocky (which he wrote) was a huge critical hit and Oscar winner. He wasn't a steroid case in the original, just a big guy who could box.

He followed that up with more "Indy-style" stuff like Paradise Alley and F.I.S.T. Neither of which had him as an action hero. He also did "Oscar" bait movies like "Victory" (directed by John Huston). When those movies underperformed, he started cranking out the Rocky sequels, pumping up, and his credibility suffered.

In fact, the original Rambo, "First Blood," was considered almost more of a suspense film than an action one. Same with "Nighthawks"

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I agree. I think he just sold out and milked his moneymaking franchises. Ebert said of Rocky that he could see Stallone being the next Brando but the guy couldn't hang in there.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, it kind of reminds of what Nic Cage has done too.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
But Cage can turn out a really good solid performance in an excellent film in between all the shit. He did national treasure, the weather man, the wicker man, and lord of war in the span of a few years. treasure was a clear sell out but one that establishes him as "bankable," wicker was pure shit and I hope he was paid well for it, but weather man and lord of war are truly excellent movies (in my opinion) that keep him firmly placed as a good actor.
Stallone's sell outs aren't just a picture here and there, it's major benders of pure shit marked by a solid attempt that bombs and then more selling out.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Both the Weather Man and Lord of War came out in 2005 and since then it's been pretty much all action and genre stuff. Granted, a few of the genre films were entertaining (Kick Ass being a prime example), but every year of the guy's career it seems that he moves further and further from "Oscar winning serious actor" into "washed up action star," at least from a perception standpoint.

Furthermore, during the past five years, Cage hasn't just done one or two action/genre films, the guy's cranked out (as a star or supporting player) ten movies (or two movies a year). And that doesn't even count when he does voice over work in kid movies like "G-force" and "Astro Boy"

Understand, I like Cage. I think the guy's a good actor. I just think he lets his fanboy love of action/genre films (and perhaps his financial woes) get in the way of making good choices for an actor of his caliber.

Scorned as the one who ran
300+ posts
300+ posts
I think the death of action hero movies was caused more by relentless sequels than the superhero movie.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Or action hero AIDS.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Originally Posted By: Grimm
heh. I liked Copland.

Yeah. Me too.

Assassinist
500+ posts
Assassinist
500+ posts
Harrison Ford's action roles in the 80's were good, and I liked Kurt Russell in Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China.

Anyway, action movies haven't really died as much as they've just had more suspense added to them, IMO.

Like the Bourne films and the recent James Bond flicks.

"Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money" - Ice Cube
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
But in some ways, Damon as Bourne is an example of what Stallobe eas talking about: younger "pretty boys". doing action roles.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Doc.Mid-Nite

Anyway, action movies haven't really died as much as they've just had more suspense added to them, IMO.

No one said action movies died. It's about the change in action movies away from the 80's 'invincible hero' films that Stallone and Arnie cranked out.

Assassinist
500+ posts
Assassinist
500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

No one said action movies died. It's about the change in action movies away from the 80's 'invincible hero' films that Stallone and Arnie cranked out.
Actually, the person I was responding to did

Originally Posted By: Arthur Digby Sellers
I think the death of action hero movies was caused more by relentless sequels than the superhero movie.

300+ posts
300+ posts
You still didn't account for the action hero AIDS.

Assassinist
500+ posts
Assassinist
500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
But in some ways, Damon as Bourne is an example of what Stallobe eas talking about: younger "pretty boys". doing action roles.

I thought Sly was complaining about small guys replacing buff guys in action roles since Batman (not pretty boys since Keaton wasn't a pretty boy), and Ford, Russell and Roger Moore weren't big buff guys.

Assassinist
500+ posts
Assassinist
500+ posts
You still didn't account for the action hero AIDS.
Blame the gays.

300+ posts
300+ posts
They have gay AIDS, it's a totally different strain.

Assassinist
500+ posts
Assassinist
500+ posts
They have gay AIDS, it's a totally different strain.
Magic Johnson athletic AIDS, then?

300+ posts
300+ posts
That's ridiculous, there is no such thing. Black AIDS.

Assassinist
500+ posts
Assassinist
500+ posts
That's ridiculous, there is no such thing. Black AIDS.
I sees. Roid AIDS it is then.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I thought Sly was complaining about small guys replacing buff guys in action roles since Batman (not pretty boys since Keaton wasn't a pretty boy), and Ford, Russell and Roger Moore weren't big buff guys.

Yeah, and, beyond that, pretty boys like Keannu Reeves. Damon definitely fits in both the small guy AND pretty boy categories.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Both the Weather Man and Lord of War came out in 2005 and since then it's been pretty much all action and genre stuff.
Granted, a few of the genre films were entertaining (Kick Ass being a prime example), but every year of the guy's career it seems that he moves further and further from "Oscar winning serious actor" into "washed up action star," at least from a perception standpoint.

To me though those 2 movies buy him credibility for a decade. That's the pattern his career has followed. He does a lot of shit, a lot of "fun" movies with no real value, but since he started 25 or so years ago he pulls off an incredible performance in a good movie that keeps him established as a great actor.

Quote:
Furthermore, during the past five years, Cage hasn't just done one or two action/genre films, the guy's cranked out (as a star or supporting player) ten movies (or two movies a year). And that doesn't even count when he does voice over work in kid movies like "G-force" and "Astro Boy"

To bring this back around to Stallone, Cage's movies have often been hits or at least made respectable profits. At the end of the day acting is a job and I can't fault him for doing movies his kids (does he have kids?) might want to see. Stallone on the other hand seems desperate to hang onto his 80's glory.

Quote:
Understand, I like Cage. I think the guy's a good actor. I just think he lets his fanboy love of action/genre films (and perhaps his financial woes) get in the way of making good choices for an actor of his caliber.

I'm not arguing with you on this. I agree the caliber of most of his films has gone down. But at the same time he's probably enjoying his life more. Look at Nation Treasure. Simplistic lighthearted stuff, bits of action that make him look cool onscreen, getting to shoot in nice locales, and the movie makes a shitload of money so he has job security that he can get work anytime.

[/quote]

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

Yeah, and, beyond that, pretty boys like Keannu Reeves. Damon definitely fits in both the small guy AND pretty boy categories.

so gay.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ray

To bring this back around to Stallone, Cage's movies have often been hits or at least made respectable profits. At the end of the day acting is a job and I can't fault him for doing movies his kids (does he have kids?) might want to see. Stallone on the other hand seems desperate to hang onto his 80's glory.

Fair enough. But my point wasn't that Cage was AT the same place as Stallone. It was that he seemed hellbent to get to that point by making a whole shitload of shitty movies in a short period of time and he should take a step back before he ends up a punchline.

As for Stallone, it's too bad that he didn't take a cue from Clint Eastwood and segue more gracefully into directing. For a while it looked like he might do that (he even directed the Saturday Night Fever sequel). Granted, his directed films were always critical or commercial successes but if he'd spent more time working on that side of the camera back then he might be considered a top tier director (or even a top tier action director) by now.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
This guy seems to think that Predators was an example of what Stallone was talking about:
  • Who in their right mind would cast Brody as the lead in a “Predator” film? The entire appeal of the original was Ahnuld vs. Alien. That’s how movie stars are supposed to work. You want to see their well-crafted persona pitted against a particular situation. Jim Carrey is God, Stallone vs. Super Russian, Bruce vs. a building filled with terrorists, Eastwood vs. Urban Vermin, Will Smith vs. Alien Invasion, a pre-chest waxed Harrison Ford vs. Anything.

Adrien Brody?

While there are some creative reveals throughout the first half, “Predators” might have worked a little better had the idea of momentum been employed (a chronic symptom of any film involving Robert Rodriguez) in order to make the viewer feel as though we were at least headed towards The Big Showdown. But even then, who wants to see Adrien Brody in The Big Showdown? There’s no appeal there, no heat, no sneaking into a matinee during working hours thrill.

Hollywood’s war on masculinity has utterly and completely failed. The only winner has been the makers of all this heartless 3D technology that’s been rolled out by panicked execs in an effort to make up for the fact that Someone’s Whose Name You Can’t Remember is starring in yet another overlong, over-produced, VFX’d monstrosity with a plot that’s impossible to follow and a camera that refuses to stand still.

And so I ask you…

Are we finally done laughing at Jean-Claude Van Damme, Steven Seagal, Chuck Norris, 80’s Bronson and 90’s Stallone? Has the season of the meterosexual at last managed to wipe the smug off our face as we awaken to a re-appreciation of just how remarkably effective those STARS were at bringing some level of satisfaction and charisma to even the worst of their lean, mean programmers that at least respected the audience enough to deliver a simple story and a goddamned tripod?

I’ll take a “Daylight” over anything starring a Shia or Ewan or Hayden. I’ll take a “Delta Force 2” over any actioner with an Adrien as the “badass” — no matter how many abs careful lighting and strategically smeared mud is able to pop from his starved abdomen.

Not having seen "Predators" I can't comment on whether Brody was any good as an action hero or not. Just thought it was interesting that someone besides Sly had picked up on the idea.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Brody's character was a bad ass and anti-hero for most of the film. He wasn't roided out, but he brought credibility to his role.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That's interesting. I thought he completely sucked as a leading man in the King Kong remake. But that movie seemed to have been almost intentionally miscast throughout.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I really did not like Peter Jackson's King Kong.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I also like the LotR movies less every time I see them, except for Fellowship.

The effects were great. It looked really good, the only exception I think was the shit Scooby Doo ghost pirates or whatever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard