OP Offline
hello whore
500+ posts
I agree good stuff. we shiould have guns but not army weapons

Quote:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/if2nht

jason alexander (@IJasonAlexander)

Posted Sunday 22nd July 2012 from Twitlonger

I'd like to preface this long tweet by saying that my passion comes from my deepest sympathy and shared sorrow with yesterday's victims and with the utmost respect for the people and the police/fire/medical/political forces of Aurora and all who seek to comfort and aid these victims.

This morning, I made a comment about how I do not understand people who support public ownership of assault style weapons like the AR-15 used in the Colorado massacre. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

That comment, has of course, inspired a lot of feedback. There have been many tweets of agreement and sympathy but many, many more that have been challenging at the least, hostile and vitriolic at the worst.

Clearly, the angry, threatened and threatening, hostile comments are coming from gun owners and gun advocates. Despite these massacres recurring and despite the 100,000 Americans that die every year due to domestic gun violence - these people see no value to even considering some kind of control as to what kinds of weapons are put in civilian hands.

Many of them cite patriotism as their reason - true patriots support the Constitution adamantly and wholly. Constitution says citizens have the right to bear arms in order to maintain organized militias. I'm no constitutional scholar so here it is from the document itself:

As passed by the Congress:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

So the patriots are correct, gun ownership is in the constitution - if you're in a well-regulated militia. Let's see what no less a statesman than Alexander Hamilton had to say about a militia:

"A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, or even a week, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry, and of the other classes of the citizens, to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well-regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people, and a serious public inconvenience and loss."

Or from Merriam-Webster dictionary:
Definition of MILITIA
a : a part of the organized armed forces of a country liable to call only in emergency
b : a body of citizens organized for military service
: the whole body of able-bodied male citizens declared by law as being subject to call to military service

The advocates of guns who claim patriotism and the rights of the 2nd Amendment - are they in well-regulated militias? For the vast majority - the answer is no.

Then I get messages from seemingly decent and intelligent people who offer things like: @BrooklynAvi: Guns should only be banned if violent crimes committed with tomatoes means we should ban tomatoes. OR @nysportsguys1: Drunk drivers kill, should we ban fast cars?

I'm hoping that right after they hit send, they take a deep breath and realize that those arguments are completely specious. I believe tomatoes and cars have purposes other than killing. What purpose does an AR-15 serve to a sportsman that a more standard hunting rifle does not serve? Let's see - does it fire more rounds without reload? Yes. Does it fire farther and more accurately? Yes. Does it accommodate a more lethal payload? Yes. So basically, the purpose of an assault style weapon is to kill more stuff, more fully, faster and from further away. To achieve maximum lethality. Hardly the primary purpose of tomatoes and sports cars.

Then there are the tweets from the extreme right - these are the folk who believe our government has been corrupted and stolen and that the forces of evil are at play, planning to take over this nation and these folk are going to fight back and take a stand. And any moron like me who doesn't see it should...
a. be labeled a moron
b. shut the fuck up
c. be removed

And amazingly, I have some minor agreement with these folks. I believe there are evil forces at play in our government. But I call them corporatists. I call them absolutists. I call them the kind of ideologues from both sides, but mostly from the far right who swear allegiance to unelected officials that regardless of national need or global conditions, are never to levy a tax. That they are never to compromise or seek solutions with the other side. That are to obstruct every possible act of governance, even the ones they support or initiate. Whose political and social goal is to marginalize the other side, vilify and isolate them with the hope that they will surrender, go away or die out.

These people believe that the US government is eventually going to go street by street and enslave our citizens. Now as long as that is only happening to liberals, homosexuals and democrats - no problem. But if they try it with anyone else - it's going to be arms-ageddon and these committed, God-fearing, brave souls will then use their military-esque arsenal to show the forces of our corrupt government whats-what. These people think they meet the definition of a "militia". They don't. At least not the constitutional one. And, if it should actually come to such an unthinkable reality, these people believe they would win. That's why they have to "take our country back". From who? From anyone who doesn't think like them or see the world like them. They hold the only truth, everyone else is dangerous. Ever meet a terrorist that doesn't believe that? Just asking.

Then there are the folks who write that if everyone in Colorado had a weapon, this maniac would have been stopped. Perhaps. But I do believe that the element of surprise, tear gas and head to toe kevlar protection might have given him a distinct edge. Not only that, but a crowd of people firing away in a chaotic arena without training or planning - I tend to think that scenario could produce even more victims.

Lastly, there are these well-intended realists that say that people like this evil animal would get these weapons even if we regulated them. And they may be right. But he wouldn't have strolled down the road to Kmart and picked them up. Regulated, he would have had to go to illegal sources - sources that could possibly be traced, watched, overseen. Or he would have to go deeper online and those transactions could be monitored. "Hm, some guy in Aurora is buying guns, tons of ammo and kevlar - plus bomb-making ingredients and tear gas. Maybe we should check that out."

But that won't happen as long as all that activity is legal and unrestricted.

I have been reading on and off as advocates for these weapons make their excuses all day long. Guns don't kill - people do. Well if that's correct, I go with @BrooklynAvi, let them kill with tomatoes. Let them bring baseball bats, knives, even machetes --- a mob can deal with that.

There is no excuse for the propagation of these weapons. They are not guaranteed or protected by our constitution. If they were, then we could all run out and purchase a tank, a grenade launcher, a bazooka, a SCUD missile and a nuclear warhead. We could stockpile napalm and chemical weapons and bomb-making materials in our cellars under our guise of being a militia.

These weapons are military weapons. They belong in accountable hands, controlled hands and trained hands. They should not be in the hands of private citizens to be used against police, neighborhood intruders or people who don't agree with you. These are the weapons that maniacs acquire to wreak murder and mayhem on innocents. They are not the same as handguns to help homeowners protect themselves from intruders. They are not the same as hunting rifles or sporting rifles. These weapons are designed for harm and death on big scales.

SO WHY DO YOU CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THEM? WHY DO YOU NOT, AT LEAST, AGREE TO SIT WITH REASONABLE PEOPLE FROM BOTH SIDES AND ASK HARD QUESTIONS AND LOOK AT HARD STATISTICS AND POSSIBLY MAKE SOME COMPROMISES FOR THE GREATER GOOD? SO THAT MOTHERS AND FATHERS AND CHILDREN ARE NOT SLAUGHTERED QUITE SO EASILY BY THESE MONSTERS? HOW CAN IT HURT TO STOP DEFENDING THESE THINGS AND AT LEAST CONSIDER HOW WE CAN ALL WORK TO TRY TO PREVENT ANOTHER DAY LIKE YESTERDAY?

We will not prevent every tragedy. We cannot stop every maniac. But we certainly have done ourselves no good by allowing these particular weapons to be acquired freely by just about anyone.

I'll say it plainly - if someone wants these weapons, they intend to use them. And if they are willing to force others to "pry it from my cold, dead hand", then they are probably planning on using them on people.

So, sorry those of you who tell me I'm an actor, or a has-been or an idiot or a commie or a liberal and that I should shut up. You can not watch my stuff, you can unfollow and you can call me all the names you like. I may even share some of them with my global audience so everyone can get a little taste of who you are.

But this is not the time for reasonable people, on both sides of this issue, to be silent. We owe it to the people whose lives were ended and ruined yesterday to insist on a real discussion and hopefully on some real action.

In conclusion, whoever you are and wherever you stand on this issue, I hope you have the joy of family with you today. Hold onto them and love them as best you can. Tell them what they mean to you. Yesterday, a whole bunch of them went to the movies and tonight their families are without them. Every day is precious. Every life is precious. Take care. Be well. Be safe. God bless.

Jason Alexander

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
MrJSA Offline OP
hello whore
500+ posts
OP Offline
hello whore
500+ posts

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By:
jason alexander (@IJasonAlexander)
As passed by the Congress:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

So the patriots are correct, gun ownership is in the constitution - if you're in a well-regulated militia. Let's see what no less a statesman than Alexander Hamilton had to say about a militia:

"A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, or even a week, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry, and of the other classes of the citizens, to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well-regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people, and a serious public inconvenience and loss."

Costanza missed what else the founders said about the whole "militia v personal weapons" debate:
  • Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson, proposed Virginia constitution, June 1776. Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C. J. Boyd, Ed., 1950)

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." --Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in "On Crimes and Punishment", 1764

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny --Thomas Jefferson

"And what country can preserve it's liberties, if the rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take up arms. The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William S. Smith, 1787

"The Constitution of most of our states, and the United States, assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves: that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property, and freedom of the press." Thomas Jefferson, Proposed Virginia Constitution, 1776

Samuel Adams

"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: first, a right to life, secondly to liberty, thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can." --Samuel Adams

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." --Samuel Adams, During the Massachusetts U.S. Constitution ratification convention, 1788

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

Benjamin Franklin

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), reply of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the governor, November 11, 1755 <<later, motto of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, c. 1759>>

Noah Webster

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. the supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States." --Noah Webster, An Examination into the Leading Principles of the federal Constitution (1787) in Pamphlets to the Constitution of the United States (P. Ford, 1888).

Tench Coxe

"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people" --Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788

"As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people duly before them, may attempt to tyrannize, as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the article in their right to keep and bear their private arms." Tench Coxe, in "Remarks on the First Part of the Amendments to the Federal Constitution." Philadelphia Federal Gazette, June 18, 1789

John Adams

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at the individual discretion, in private self-defense." John Adams, A Defense of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America, 1787-88

Alexander Hamilton

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8

Richard Henry Lee

"A militia when properly formed are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." Richard Henry Lee, Initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights. Additional Letters From the Federal Farmer 53, 1788

Patrick Henry

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Every man who is able may have a gun." --Patrick Henry, During Virginia's ratification convention, 1788

James Madison

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison, The Federalist No. 46

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of people, trained in arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." --James Madison, I Annuals of Congress 434 (June 8, 1789)

George Mason

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." --George Mason, during Virginia's ratification convention, 1788

Thomas Paine

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived the use of them." --Thomas Paine, Thoughts on Defensive War, 1775

George Washington

"A free people ought to be armed. When firearms go, all goes, we need them by the hour. Firearms stand next to importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence." --George Washington, Boston Independence Chronicle, January 14, 1790

"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." --George Washington, The Federalist No. 53

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Does anybody think some of those quotes would be different if the founders had to deal with the guns we have today?

Fair play!
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Considering how fundamentally important rifling was to the American war effort in the Revolution against British smooth bores...probably wouldn't really change their position much.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Precisely. The founders would have loved to have had machine guns against the red coats.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It should also be noted that federal "explosives control" laws didn't deter Holmes.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
It should also be noted that federal "explosives control" laws didn't deter Holmes.

Yep.

If there is any issue to be made out of this, then it would be to push this as a mental health issue. For the sake of argument, if I was a strategist for the Obama campaign then I would want to tie this to mental health cuts at the state (especially) and federal level. Turn this into an example of how the government could help rather than control, imo.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That would be a good angle. However, most of the "cuts" to mental health (at least in NYS) were the result of well-meaning democrats in the 1970s and 80s who thought (and largely still think) that it was unduly stigmatizing to force people into treatment.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Precisely. The founders would have loved to have had machine guns against the red coats.

Exactly. A few well placed machine gun nests would've been terribly welcomed.

The thing too many forget about the Revolution is that our Regulars really weren't that good against the British on their own. Washington's most celebrated victory, other than with the French army and navy at Yorktown, was catching a bunch of drunken Germans off guard at Trenton.

Some of our most important victories, from Gates at Saratoga to Greene and Morgan in the Carolinas, came when the commanders made good use of militias and skirmishers (usually loosely grouped and armed with rifles) that could operate fairly independently and wear the British down before they faced off with the regular Continental troops (who fought using enlightenment tactics and firearms).

The framers were far less ignorant of this fact than we are today.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
That would be a good angle. However, most of the "cuts" to mental health (at least in NYS) were the result of well-meaning democrats in the 1970s and 80s who thought (and largely still think) that it was unduly stigmatizing to force people into treatment.

I don't doubt it. I'm sure they thought homicidal maniacs weren't crazy, just misunderstood. It might would have to be an issue that could be targeted to specific swing states. I was just throwing it out there because, not that I would support it anyway, gun control as an issue is DOA at this point in time.

Barring some huge revelation, I have a feeling this will just run the normal news cycle and be on page 8 before week's end with no real effort to politicize it--save for Bloomberg and Feinstein--taking place.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
I think blaming the guns for this massacre is a little like blaming Boeing for the 9/11 attacks.

More gun laws just take them away from law abiding citizens.

As crazy as it sounds we may also need assault weapons on the market to defend ourselves from domestic threats. One day the government itself could become the enemy.

Like the Revolutionary war.

MrJSA Offline OP
hello whore
500+ posts
OP Offline
hello whore
500+ posts
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/07/less-guns-less-violence/260248/
 Quote:
First, we are a less violent nation now than we've been in over forty years. In 2010, violent crime rates hit a low not seen since 1972; murder rates sunk to levels last experienced during the Kennedy Administration. Our perceptions of our own safety have shifted, as well. In the early 1980s, almost half of Americans told the General Social Survey (GSS) they were "afraid to walk alone at night" in their own neighborhoods; now only one-third feel this way....

Second, for all the attention given to America's culture of guns, ownership of firearms is at or near all-time lows. Since 1973, the GSS has been asking Americans whether they keep a gun in their home. In the 1970s, about half of the nation said yes; today only about one-third do. Driving the decline: a dramatic drop in ownership of pistols and shotguns, the very weapons most likely to be used in violent crimes.

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
MrJSA Offline OP
hello whore
500+ posts
OP Offline
hello whore
500+ posts
\:lol\:

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MrJSA
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/07/less-guns-less-violence/260248/
 Quote:
First, we are a less violent nation now than we've been in over forty years. In 2010, violent crime rates hit a low not seen since 1972; murder rates sunk to levels last experienced during the Kennedy Administration. Our perceptions of our own safety have shifted, as well. In the early 1980s, almost half of Americans told the General Social Survey (GSS) they were "afraid to walk alone at night" in their own neighborhoods; now only one-third feel this way....

Second, for all the attention given to America's culture of guns, ownership of firearms is at or near all-time lows. Since 1973, the GSS has been asking Americans whether they keep a gun in their home. In the 1970s, about half of the nation said yes; today only about one-third do. Driving the decline: a dramatic drop in ownership of pistols and shotguns, the very weapons most likely to be used in violent crimes.

Yeah, because gun control laws had nothing to do with it at all.

There is no way in hell that I, or anyone else I know, is ever going to purchase a firearm in California. I buy all of my weapons out of state where I'm not forced to submit registry and biometric information to the government.

People, on average, don't choose not to own firearms. They're deterred from it.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: iggy

I don't doubt it. I'm sure they thought homicidal maniacs weren't crazy, just misunderstood. It might would have to be an issue that could be targeted to specific swing states. I was just throwing it out there because, not that I would support it anyway, gun control as an issue is DOA at this point in time.

Barring some huge revelation, I have a feeling this will just run the normal news cycle and be on page 8 before week's end with no real effort to politicize it--save for Bloomberg and Feinstein--taking place.

Yeah, Sen. Diane Feinstein has really been out there making the rounds on the news shows advocating the Aurora, CO shooting as justifying a need for stricter gun control. But a majority even among Democrats don't support this, and I see it getting no traction, just token mention and then fading away as an issue. The Democrats have far more immediate priorities for the forseeable future.

As both you and G-man have pointed out, the theatre shooter could just as easily have used bombs to do the same carnage, as he attempted to do with his booby-trapped apartment. And the smoke bombs he toosed in the theatre could just as easily have been poison gas. Guns were not the problem, but the genocidal whims of the perpetrator.

An interesting opinion by Charles Krauthammer shown on O'Reilly last night (Krauthammer is a former psychiatrist, who managed a mental facility in a previous career) is that the best way the shooting could have been stopped would have been committing Holmes to an asylum, that decades ago he could have been done easily.
But with new restrictions championed by the ACLU and others, a doctor who committed Holmes under current laws would find himself being sued easily for wrongful incarceration. Basically punishing any health care professional for doing the right thing.

MrJSA Offline OP
hello whore
500+ posts
OP Offline
hello whore
500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
An interesting opinion by Charles Krauthammer shown on O'Reilly last night (Krauthammer is a former psychiatrist, who managed a mental facility in a previous career) is that the best way the shooting could have been stopped would have been committing Holmes to an asylum

why not buoild a time machine, too so we can do that? thats not a solution thats a complaint after the fact.

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
MrJSA Offline OP
hello whore
500+ posts
OP Offline
hello whore
500+ posts
best way we could have avoided 911 is to wipe out the middle east beforehand. except for the ira and other shitheads they would still be there and still attackus if we pist them off too much. silly tio think what ifs are a solution.

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)

Link Copied to Clipboard