Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Real-life 'Walter White' arrested in Mass. : teacher battling cancer was 'trafficking meth'
  • BOSTON -– A Massachusetts teacher has been arrested for trafficking methamphetamine after he allegedly received a package of the illegal substance at his school.

Stephen Doran, 57, a tutor at the Match Charter Middle School in the suburb of Jamaica Plain in Boston, was arrested Tuesday afternoon and held on $10,000 bail.

And in a twist straight out of hit AMC show Breaking Bad, sworn testimony revealed Doran has been battling stage III cancer for months and is undergoing chemotherapy.

Breaking Bad's central character, Walter White, played by Emmy award-winning actor Bryan Cranston, is a school teacher who starts trafficking drugs after being diagnosed with lung cancer.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I was thinking awhile back that Walter White in Breaking Bad, and Norman's brother Dylan in Bates Motel, both work in the drug trade and are sympathetic characters, where the viewer feels empathy for these criminals, and perhaps even feels envy for the money they are earning, and the level of adventure in what they do.

It reminded me of Robert Bloch's afterword his short story in Harlan Ellison's Dangerous Visions anthology, where he talks about another story he had written about a decade before, with a villain as the central character. And when a decade or so later, a publisher put Bloch's novel back into print sometime in mid 1960's, in reading the cover description written by the publisher for his own book, Bloch discovered that his villain had emerged as an anti-hero! A manifestation of the slow warping of values that is occuring in our society.

When I was watching the first few episodes of Bates Motel I remembered what Bloch had said. And I wondered if these villain/anti-heroes of the current crop were influencing a new generation toward more criminal behavior.
It can safely be assumed that Mr Doran would not have had the idea to pursue this venture without viewing the exploits of Walter White.

Funny eyes
100+ posts
Funny eyes
100+ posts
I was thinking awhile back that Wonder Boy reminded me of a song I wrote many years ago. It was so bad that I had to destroy it before it was exposed to the public. It was also very homosexual.

Lets dance!
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
I love this show. Are they doing just one last season just eight eppisodes long?

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!

Link Copied to Clipboard