http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080903/pl_...Kw6r7Ps71xh24cA

Quote:
Republican White House nominee John McCain on Wednesday attacked Barack Obama's achievements as "meager" and said his Democratic foe did not know how the world, or the US military, worked.

The Arizona Senator, who was set to be formally nominated as his party's White House champion later Wednesday, also defended his under-fire running mate Sarah Palin, saying she had been "vetted" by voters in her home state Alaska.

He said in an interview with "ABC World News" that Obama's achievements were "very meager" in comparison to those of Palin who was a smalltown mayor and is now Alaska Governor.

Obama has argued that though he is merely a first term senator and a former state lawmaker, he has more executive experience than Palin as he sits atop a multi-million dollar presidential campaign with thousands of employees.

"Senator Obama has a campaign to run, Governor Sarah Palin has 24,000 employees in the state government," McCain said.

"She's responsible for 20 percent of the nation's energy supply.

"I'm entertained by the comparison and I hope we can keep making that comparison that running a political campaign is somehow comparable to being the executive of the largest state in America."

McCain, who makes his keynote speech to the Republican National Convention on Thursday, said his resume was far more appropriate to the job of president than that of Obama.

"I understand and I have the knowledge and the background and the experience to make the right judgments," McCain said in the interview.

"Senator Obama does not. He was wrong on Iraq. He underestimated Iran. He has no knowledge or experience or judgment. He doesn't know how the world works nor how the military works. I do and I can lead and I'll secure the peace," McCain said.

Hours before Palin was due to give her primetime speech to the convention, McCain said that a stellar performance by his running mate would put to rest a personal and political storm raging around her.

"She is experienced, she's talented, she knows how to lead, and she has been vetted by the people of the state of Alaska," said McCain, who has been criticized for not looking deeply enough into her background.

"Americans are going to be very, very, very pleased. ... She's really going to have a remarkable impact on the American people. ... I'm very excited."