Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 38 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 37 38
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
Karl Rove must have really gave the liberals a nut kick, whomod thinks he is McCain's campaign manager, he doesn't even realize he was Bush's campaign manager, and is now an analyst for Fox News.....

He's now an advisor to the McCain campaign, idiot. And it shows...Here, try not to let his on air FOX news denials confuse you...

Quote:
Mehlman, Rove boost McCain campaign

By DAVID PAUL KUHN | 3/8/08 7:08 AM EST

John McCain is getting much more than President Bush's endorsement and fundraising help for his campaign. He’s getting Bush's staff.

It’s no secret that Steve Schmidt, Bush’s attack dog in the 2004 election, and Mark McKinnon, the president’s media strategist, are performing similar functions for McCain now.

But other big-name Bushies are lining up to boost McCain, too.

Ken Mehlman, who ran Bush’s 2004 campaign, is now serving as an unpaid, outside adviser to the Arizona Republican. Karl Rove, the president’s top political hand since his Texas days, recently gave money to McCain and soon after had a private conversation with the senator. A top McCain adviser said both Mehlman and Rove are now informally advising the campaign. Rove refused to detail his conversation with McCain.

The list could grow longer. Dan Bartlett, formerly a top aide in the Bush White House, and Sara Taylor, the erstwhile Bush political adviser, said they are eager to provide any assistance and advice possible to McCain.

Rove explained that he and McCain “got to know each other during the 2004 campaign.” In a separate interview, Mehlman noted that “McCain was completely loyal to the president in 2004 and worked incredibly hard to help him get elected.” According to Taylor, “The Bush Republicans here in town are excited for John McCain.”

Despite the president’s low approval ratings, there are clear benefits to McCain for this cozy relationship with the Bush team. They are seasoned operatives with a track record of winning back-to-back national elections in tough political environments. But there are obvious drawbacks. First and foremost, any association with the Bush administration helps Democrats make their case that McCain represents a clear extension of an unpopular presidency.

One of those making that argument is Matt Dowd, Bush’s chief strategist in 2004.

“[McCain] has sided himself so closely to the administration, especially on Iraq, now having various Bush advisers — that doesn’t sit well with the public,” said Dowd, who has recently broken with the Bush inner circle. “The public wants the non-Bush candidate.”

Dowd also argued that he believes that the proximity of Bush’s advisers could lead McCain to a strategic mistake: refighting the 2004 campaign. “There is a real danger of that,” Dowd added. “And I think some of the things John McCain has done, and how he’s done it, has been a fight or a battle that’s gone. I don’t think this is going to be a terrorism election or a national security election.”

The McCain adviser said Dowd's concern is unwarranted, pointing to the campaign’s belief that the economy will play a far greater role in the 2008 race than it did in 2004.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Like clockwork.

Try reading something other than what your overlords tell you to read. You might be less of a tool if you do.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #1003991 2008-09-14 7:49 AM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
He doesn't post, he spams. That's what he's always done. He's too cowardly to actually communicate with anyone here (send him a PM. He hates reading those). He spams all the liberal talking points for the week then runs away hoping no one challenges him on anything.

Um.. just because i don't give a flying fuck what you say doesn't mean I "run away" from you. I do have a life y'know.

I just stop by here to wind you assholes up. It's great fun for me. And the usual responses and insults delight me as I know and see that once again, I succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

It's not about swaying you, y'know. It's about raising your ire.

whomod #1003994 2008-09-14 7:53 AM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: whomod
[quote=rex]He doesn't post, he spams. That's what he's always done. He's too cowardly to actually communicate with anyone here (send him a PM. He hates reading those). He spams all the liberal talking points for the week then runs away hoping no one challenges him on anything.

Um.. just because i don't give a flying fuck what you say doesn't mean I "run away" from you. I do have a life y'know.
 Quote:

No, that's exactly what it means.

[quote]I just stop by here to wind you assholes up. It's great fun for me. And the usual responses and insults delight me as I know and see that once again, I succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

So coming here and making an ass out of yourself is "winding us up"? We all laugh at you. We all mock you. We all know you're a loser who hides behind other people's words.

Quote:

You really are that homeless person on the corner, aren't you? The one yelling all his crazy ass theories, right? The one who thinks the louder and angrier he gets the more right he is? Is that you?

rex #1003995 2008-09-14 7:53 AM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
But maybe you are correct, after all, I'm the one who called the cops on you for not harassing my daughter.

Or did I get that mixed up?

rex #1003999 2008-09-14 7:58 AM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
[quote=whomod][quote=rex]He doesn't post, he spams. That's what he's always done. He's too cowardly to actually communicate with anyone here (send him a PM. He hates reading those). He spams all the liberal talking points for the week then runs away hoping no one challenges him on anything.

Quote:

No, that's exactly what it means.

Quote:
I just stop by here to wind you assholes up. It's great fun for me. And the usual responses and insults delight me as I know and see that once again, I succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

So coming here and making an ass out of yourself is "winding us up"? We all laugh at you. We all mock you. We all know you're a loser who hides behind other people's words.

Quote:

You really are that homeless person on the corner, aren't you? The one yelling all his crazy ass theories, right? The one who thinks the louder and angrier he gets the more right he is? Is that you?

Having trouble working the quote brackets? Slow down. Take a deep breath. It's ok.

whomod #1004000 2008-09-14 8:00 AM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Quote:
The independent website FactCheck.org said the McCain ad explored "new paths of deception", after other contentious claims that Obama had called Palin a "pig" and advocated teaching sex education to kindergarten children.

"Actually, they are not lies," McCain said on TV talk show The View.

The Democratic campaign had argued McCain's camp deliberately twisted Obama's recent comment that Republican claims to represent change were like putting "lipstick on a pig," as a sexist slur on Palin.

And then that G-Man. Are the Republicans really against teaching kids to know how to protect themselves against child predators? Anything to win, eh? Trying to turn something positive and prudent into 'Obama wants to teach small kids about sex"???

You Republicans are simply slimey assholes. You guys wouldn't mind 1000 Adam Walshes and Polly Klaases, just so long as you "win".

At least it protects Rex and his unhealthy appetites.

whomod #1004001 2008-09-14 9:41 AM
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
I do have a life y'know.

no. he doesnt know...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
K-nutreturns #1004004 2008-09-14 11:06 AM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
yeah I was surprised to hear that as well. whomod, if black dukakis loses, please be sure to grace us with your reactions on here before you blow your brains out.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
There was a time (I never believed it, but there was a time) when McCain was considered a "straight talker.

Wow. This is coming from the same guy who lauded him as one of the only admirable republicans out there.

McCain has backed away from some of those things that the left was lauding him for. Some of his biggest detractors back then are now his defenders.

Fair play!
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
There was a time (I never believed it, but there was a time) when McCain was considered a "straight talker.

Wow. This is coming from the same guy who lauded him as one of the only admirable republicans out there.

McCain has backed away from some of those things that the left was lauding him for. Some of his biggest detractors back then are now his defenders.

like obama being honored to have rev, wright as his pastor and now ignoring him.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

like obama being honored to have rev, wright as his pastor and now ignoring him.

Yeah, although I was thinking more about the issues like the economy.

Fair play!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
MEM, whomod didn't say that his opinion of McCain had changed in response to recent events. whomod said that he "never believed" McCain to be honest, when his earlier posts show that whomd did, in fact, say just that.

Originally Posted By: the G-man

After all the times you've bitched about me reposting this quote (and similar) of yours:

Originally Posted By: whomod on 03/25/04 06:19 AM

Now if you ran ...John McCain, i'd be running over to GOP campaign headquarters shouting HURRAH! an honest Republican ticket!!

One would think you wouldn't be so stupid and deceptive as to now try and claim you "never believed" that McCain was honest.

Now, run along and edit the above post so you can try and claim you never said it.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
so you are talking about Obama's tax and spend vs McCains tax cuts and reduced spending?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Also, MEM, a lot of us aren't afraid (ala certain people and the Clintons) to disagree with a candidate we otherwise support.

Most of us here have said we disagree with McCain on certain issues but we prefer him to Obama for various reasons.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts

whomod #1004040 2008-09-14 1:46 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

Having trouble working the quote brackets? Slow down. Take a deep breath. It's ok.

You really are pathetic.

rex #1004062 2008-09-14 2:16 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
8 year olds dude.

whomod #1004122 2008-09-14 6:52 PM
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
He doesn't post, he spams. That's what he's always done. He's too cowardly to actually communicate with anyone here (send him a PM. He hates reading those). He spams all the liberal talking points for the week then runs away hoping no one challenges him on anything.

If someone here gets wound up because of something you said who I'd be very surprised. No one really respects you. You are a far left whacko incapable of reasonable discussion. You don't see us treating Ray and MEM the same way you get treated. It's because they are nice people. No offense. I hope someday you learn to relax a little. I also hope you don't take it too hard when Obama loses in November. If Obama wins life goes on for all of us and we wish him well.....after all he is our President and I would hope he does a great job. Unlike you who would wish that McCain gets hit by a bus or gets cancer or some other sick shit.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Rove: McCain Has Gone 'One Step Too Far'
By Robert Barnes
LOUDON, N.H. -- The Obama campaign was pleased today to introduce a new ally: Karl Rove.

Well, maybe that goes a bit far, and its manner of introduction was not exactly one President Bush's top political strategist might have chosen for himself.

Nonetheless, the campaign seized on Rove's comments on Fox News Sunday today to bolster its case that Republican presidential nominee John McCain has been lying about Obama's record in recent days. The Obama campaign has specifically decried two McCain ads: one that attempts to portray as an insult to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin Obama's contention that McCain's calls for change are putting "lipstick on a pig," and another Obama says misleads viewers about the purpose of a sex eduction bill he supported.

In response to a question, Rove said McCain "has similarly gone one step too far, attributing to Obama things that are, you know, beyond the 100 percent truth test.''

Washington Post

Did hell just freeze over? While I agree with Rove it's a surprise to see it coming from him. The lipstick on a pig ad didn't bother me so much but the sex ed one was sleazy deceptive IMHO.

Fair play!
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/14/rove-both-campaigns-ads-are-over-the-top/

Read the whole article Dude. He said both campaigns are over the top. I agree. And this whole thing could have been avoided if they took mCCain's suggestion and di town hall meetings twice a week. The whole tone of the election would be nicer and they would stick to the issues.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/14/rove-both-campaigns-ads-are-over-the-top/

Read the whole article Dude. He said both campaigns are over the top. I agree. And this whole thing could have been avoided if they took mCCain's suggestion and di town hall meetings twice a week. The whole tone of the election would be nicer and they would stick to the issues.

I read the whole article & agree that both campaigns are over the top but you still have McCain running some ads that even Rove is criticising. And I don't see how the town halls would have prevented McCain from running such an ad.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080914/pl_politico/13422;_ylt=Au38QJyGZ5F3ryWBTbSBlves0NUE

Quote:
John McCain’s surge in the polls comes even as Barack Obama has inherited the most favorable Democratic environment since the Watergate era — an unpopular Republican president, an unpopular war and a flagging economy.

Suddenly, though, Democrats have found themselves in a world turned upside down, where Republicans have the momentum from running on change — and the latest wunderkind of presidential politics.

Below are five trends showing up in polling that help explain the change.

1. McCain as a 'change agent'

Eight in 10 Americans say they believe the country is on the wrong track. Obama has built his campaign on the perception that he is both the personification of change and the man to enact it.

Even though McCain has spent decades in Washington and a member of his party is in the White House, recent polling shows that he has managed to successfully portray himself as a change agent and erode Obama’s brand in the process.

The Democratic firm Democracy Corps found that the public prefers Obama to bring “the right kind of change” as president by a 50 to 44 percent — down from his 16-point edge in mid-August.

This week’s ABC News/Washington Post poll asked “who can bring about needed change to Washington.” The public favored Obama by 12 points — down from 32 points in June.

CBS News polling this week found that 46 percent of voters believe McCain can change Washington — up from 28 percent in July.

The Obama campaign has taken notice. His stump speech now rips McCain as a phony reformer, and yesterday he launched a TV ad campaign and website highlighting McCain’s ties to lobbyists.

2. The center shifts: Independents move to McCain

Independent voters, and particularly white independent men, have leaned Republican in presidential races since 1980. But before the Republican convention, Gallup polling showed just 40 percent of independents favoring McCain.

Post-convention, that rose to 52 percent — and the increase in support was slightly greater among men than among women, which appears to undercut the idea that Sarah Palin has benefited the ticket by drawing women to it.

Before the Democratic convention, white women favored McCain by 7 points. After it, they favored him by 6. Following the Republican convention, McCain was winning white women by 11 points — a 4-point gain.

Before the Democratic convention, white men favored McCain by 20 points. After it, that margin shrunk to 13 points. Following Denver, white men favored McCain by 25 points — a 5-point gain.

A recent CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll found that 62 percent of men have a favorable view of Palin, while just 53 percent of women view her favorably.

Though no Democrat has won a majority of white voters since Lyndon Johnson in 1964, Obama cannot win unless he pulls back some of these white independent voters.

3. The economic gap narrows

James Carville, who coined the catchphrase “the economy, stupid” in 1992 while working as a strategist for Bill Clinton, frets that Obama is losing his ownership of the issue that has become voters’ foremost concern in recent months.

“I noticed the tightening on the economy,” Carville said. “And if it stays that way, I would be damn worried.”

When Democracy Corps asked voters last week which candidate would “do a better job” with the economy,” Obama had a 50 to 44 percent advantage—down from a 16-point edge in mid August.

Gallup this week shows a 3-point edge for Obama on the question of which candidate “can better handle the economy”—down from 16 points in August.

A recent internal Republican poll found that 30 percent of likely voters shop at Wal-Mart at least once a week. Obama retained a slim 45-42 edge with Wal-Mart women—but 64 percent of men in the group favored McCain against just 29 percent who preferred Obama.

4. Palin narrows the enthusiasm gap

The Republican base, once disenchanted, has returned with a vengeance since McCain’s surprise pick of the first-term Alaska governor as his running mate.

This week’s CBS News poll found that 53 percent of Obama voters said they were “enthusiastic” about Obama, up 5 points since before his party’s convention, and still better than the 42 percent of McCain supports who feel the same way. McCain’s support, though, is up 18 points since selecting Palin.

The NBC-Wall Street Journal poll found that only 12 percent of McCain’s supporters were “excited to be voting” for him in early August. This week 34 percent said they were excited — nearly a threefold increase.

Palin has played no small part in this GOP awakening. CBS found that fully 85 percent of McCain backers were “pleased” with the selection of Palin, compared to 65 percent of Obama supporters who said the same about his running mate, Delaware Sen. Joe Biden.

And among independents, 46 percent have a favorable view of Palin while only 31 percent say the same of Biden.

While Democrats have continued to hit at Palin’s inexperience, only 36 percent of likely voters believe Palin lacks the proper experience while 47 percent said the same of Obama.

5. Democrats voter ID edge dulls

Democrats have been relying on their newfound advantage in party identification all year. Party ID remains the best single indicator of voter support.

Republicans began losing voters prior to the 2006 midterm elections that gave Democrats a functional majority in the Senate. But those voters straying from the fold were mostly becoming independents, not Democrats.

Democratic voter enrollment began to grow in 2007, even as the drop in Republican enrollment leveled off. Now, though, the dynamic appears to have shifted.

The week before the Republican convention, just 39 percent of voters said they leaned toward or identified themselves as Republicans. Following the convention, that number rose dramatically to 47 percent. Meanwhile the percentage of voters leaning toward or identifying themselves as Democrats dropped from 53 to 47 percent. Gallup notes that party ID shifts are not unusual after a convention.

Gallup also reports that the double-digit Democratic lead among voters who are asked which party they’d generically prefer to control Congress has disappeared and that the two parties are now effectively tied.

the story doesnt mention the biggest factor in my mind, and that is the fact that John McCain is a real American, and we dont know much about Obama.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
McCain has backed away from some of those things that the left was lauding him for.

No. He hasn't. He's still the same fucking asshole he was before South Carolina. He hasn't changed any stances. The only difference now is that he's representing my party.

Quote:
Some of his biggest detractors back then are now his defenders.

Wrong. We still hate him, but we refuse to suffer Obama.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
The media agree: McCain LIES!!!!!

St. Petersburg Times (Editorial) “Campaign of lies disgraces McCain” McCain's straight talk has become a toxic mix of lies and double-speak. It is leaving a permanent stain on his reputation for integrity, and it is a short-term strategy that eventually will backfire with the very types of independent-thinking voters that were so attracted to him.

Atlanta Journal Constitution (Jay Bookman) The volume and audacity of lies pouring from the McCain campaign is startling and even historic…That’s really something, lying straight out about a FactCheck group, knowing that you’re going to get caught but not giving a damn about it. With stuff like this, the McCain camp has cut any remaining tethers to reality and integrity and is now floating wherever the winds of illusion and whimsy may take them. It’s quite remarkable, and quite insulting to the intelligence of the American people.

Pittsburg Post Gazette (Tony Norman) Where have you gone, John McCain? You once said you'd rather lose an election than lose a war. Is it worth winning an election if it means forfeiting your soul on the altar of political expediency?...Where is the honor in reciting lies for something as transient as political advantage? What are we as voters supposed to make of political ads that accuse Barack Obama of advocating sex education for kindergartners?... Despite the intellectually dishonest maneuvering of your campaign, many Americans admire you, John McCain. Before you embraced the darkness, I was among those who disagreed with your politics, but considered you honorable. Now it's hard to look at you without seeing the scoundrels who made you what you are today.

Kansas City Star (Barb Shelly) McCain stoops to deception, distortion: Maybe you’ve seen it. The campaign ad cites the authoritative journal Education Week to claim that Democrat Barack Obama has been missing in action on education reform…Shamelessly misleading the public?...These are old tricks we’ve been seeing in local elections for years. Distort. Twist. Deceive. Damage. And the winning candidate drags a load of public contempt into office. I had hoped for better from McCain…John McCain may win the presidency this way, but he will lose the respect he has acquired over the years.

Boston Globe (Scot Lehigh) Pretzel logic from the McCain campaign: Here’s the question voters should be asking themselves this week: Just how stupid does the McCain-Palin campaign think I am? The answer: Dumb enough to hoodwink with charges so contrived and cynical they make your teeth ache…As the nonpartisan campaign watchdog FactCheck.org has made clear, this is a thoroughly dishonest ad [Kindergarten]. No matter. The McCain campaign has shown it's ready and willing to say preposterous things to win.

Washington Post (David Ignatius) Stopping at nothing to win: Thinking about the Palin choice, you begin to ponder other moves McCain has made on the road to winning the Republican nomination. McCain was right a few years ago to warn that Bush's tax cuts would have potentially ruinous fiscal consequences; now he favors extending the cuts that have produced a crisis of debt and deficit. Why did he switch his position, other than political opportunism?...In May 2006, after McCain had courted the Rev. Jerry Falwell in an effort to win conservative support, I asked him if he was bending his principles for the sake of winning. "I don't want it that badly," McCain answered. "I will continue to do what is right…If that means I can't get the Republican nomination, fine. I've had a happy life. The worst thing I can do is sell my soul to the devil." He was right.

Washington Post (Eugene Robinson) The Scream Machine: There was a time when Republicans campaigned on their ideas, programs and values. This year -- lacking ideas, programs or values -- John McCain and Sarah Palin are running for the White House on an elaborate fictional narrative of victimhood…Creating the false impression that Democrats and journalists are unfairly attacking Palin serves another purpose as well: It helps create the impression that legitimate and necessary questions about her record -- such as her one-time support for the Bridge to Nowhere or her history of seeking the congressional earmarks she now claims to reject -- are somehow out of bounds.

Chicago Tribune (Steve Chapman) To McCain the truth is expandable: McCain has concluded that a fact-based case about Obama isn't enough to prevail in November. So he has chosen to smear his opponent with ridiculous claims that he thinks the American people are gullible enough to believe. He has charged repeatedly that his opponent is willing to lose a war to win an election. What's McCain willing to lose to become president? Nothing so consequential as a war. Just his soul.

Chicago Tribune (Frank James) “McCain plays dirty on Obama & sex-ed” So the McCain ad, in the way it contorts the truth, is pretty shocking from a candidate who has promised to bring change and reform to Washington, a man who's urging Americans to live for a cause larger than themselves. This is an old-fashioned, unreconstructed politics whose goal, first and foremost, is to get the candidate elected, the truth be damned. McCain has said he'd rather lose a campaign than lose a war. But it appears from this ad he'd rather lose any purchase he has on straight-talk than lose this presidential election.

Chicago Tribune (Eric Zorn) `Sex ed' ad educates us on the character of John McCain: The surprise came at the end: I'm John McCain and I approved this message. With that infamous admission, McCain surrendered his integrity and signaled a willingness to say or do anything to get elected… We used to expect better from John McCain. No longer.

TIME (Joe Klein): A new rule here: Rather than do the McCain campaign's bidding by wasting space on Senator Honor's daily lies and bilge--his constant attempts to divert attention from substantive issues--I'm going to assume that others will spend more than enough time on the sewage that Steve Schmidt is shoveling and, from now on, try to stick to the issues.

TIME (Joe Klein) Apology Not Accepted: he is responsible for one of the sleaziest ads I've ever seen in presidential politics, so sleazy that I won't abet its spread by linking to it, but here's the McClatchy fact check.. I just can't wait for the moment when John McCain--contrite and suddenly honorable again in victory or defeat--talks about how things got a little out of control in the passion of the moment. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig.

TIME (Joe Klein)her McCain Flip Flop: Army Times, which is not--last time I checked--a radical left wing publication, takes John McCain to task for changing his position on the Future Combat Systems program. This is yet another example of how running for President has driven McCain off the deep end. In the past, he was one of the more consistent voices against foolish Pentagon weapon systems. Here's a program that McCain previously wanted to end. Then Obama says he wants to slow-walk it...and McCain--reflexively, it appears, and unable to recall that he previously opposed it--decides to support it.

New York Times (Paul Krugman) Blizzard of Lies: I’m talking, instead, about the relationship between the character of a campaign and that of the administration that follows. Thus, the deceptive and dishonest 2000 Bush-Cheney campaign provided an all-too-revealing preview of things to come…And now the team that hopes to form the next administration is running a campaign that makes Bush-Cheney 2000 look like something out of a civics class. What does that say about how that team would run the country? What it says, I’d argue, is that the Obama campaign is wrong to suggest that a McCain-Palin administration would just be a continuation of Bush-Cheney. If the way John McCain and Sarah Palin are campaigning is any indication, it would be much, much worse.

New York Times (Editorial): The most disheartening aspect of a scurrilous Republican ad falsely accusing Barack Obama of promoting sex education for kindergarten children is its closing line: “I’m John McCain, and I approved this message.” This from that straight-talker of yore, who fervidly denounced the 2004 Bush campaign’s Swift Boat character attacks on John Kerry’s military record. What a difference four years makes, especially after Mr. McCain secured the nomination by hiring some of the same low-blow artists from the Bush campaign.

New York Times (Larry Rohter): The advertisement [“Disrespectful”] is the latest in a number that resort to a dubious disregard for the facts. The nonpartisan political analysis group Factcheck.org has already criticized “Disrespectful” as “particularly egregious,” saying that it “goes down new paths of deception,” and is “peddling false quotes.”

New York Times (Michael Cooper and Jim Rutenberg) McCain Barbs Stirring Outcry as Distortions: Mr. McCain came into the race promoting himself as a truth teller and has long publicly deplored the kinds of negative tactics that helped sink his candidacy in the Republican primaries in 2000. But his strategy now reflects a calculation advisers made this summer — over the strenuous objections of some longtime hands who helped him build his “Straight Talk” image — to shift the campaign more toward disqualifying Mr. Obama in the eyes of voters.

ABC News-Political Punch (Jake Tapper): One can only imagine what the John McCain of 2004 – who called the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth ads “dishonest and dishonorable” – would say about this ad… I suppose one could twist this stuff any way you want if your only point is to make an inflammatory charge. And win an election… The New York Times’ “Checkpoint” (“Ad on Sex Education Distorts Obama Policy “), Factcheck.org (“Obama, contrary to the ad's insinuation, does not support explicit sex education for kindergarteners”) and the Washington Post’s Fact Checker ("McCain's 'Education' Spot Is Dishonest, Deceptive") say the ad is a gross distortion. I agree -- in both senses of the word "gross."

AP (Charles Babington): The "Straight Talk Express" has detoured into doublespeak. Republican presidential nominee John McCain, a self-proclaimed tell-it-like-it-is maverick, keeps saying his running mate, Sarah Palin, killed the federally funded Bridge to Nowhere when, in fact, she pulled her support only after the project became a political embarrassment. He said Friday that Palin never asked for money for lawmakers' pet projects as Alaska governor, even though she has sought nearly $200 million in earmarks this year. He says Obama would raise nearly everyone's taxes, when independent groups say 80 percent of families would get tax cuts instead.

whomod #1004282 2008-09-15 11:27 AM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Wow. Paul Krugman and a group of liberal columnists are critical of a Republican nominee. That's never happened before.

Speaking of lying, I notice you still haven't responded to my post about your own.

the G-man #1004285 2008-09-15 1:26 PM
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
whomod's big fonts are the perfect counterpoint to any point you have, G-Man. Now go and fuck a white woman.

Uschi said:
I won't rape you, I'll just fuck you 'till it hurts and then not stop and you'll cry.

MisterJLA: RACKS so hard, he called Jim Rome "Chris Everett." In Him, all porn is possible. He is far above mentions in so-called "blogs." RACK him, lest ye be lost!

"I can't even brush my teeth without gagging!" - Tommy Tantillo: Wank & Cry, heckpuppy, and general laughingstock

[Linked Image from i6.photobucket.com]
Joe Mama #1004290 2008-09-15 1:45 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I would, but I think my multiracial wife might might take umbrage.

the G-man #1004291 2008-09-15 1:49 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
But, seriously, this is big news: The latest polling finds McCain only five points behind Barack Hussein Obama among likely New York voters. New York is, quite possibly, the blue-est of blue states. To have a Republican within striking distance of any democrat is BIG trouble for the DNC.

the G-man #1004309 2008-09-15 3:51 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
ahem

BIG trouble for the DNC.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Where are all the articles about Obama making claims that what his opponents said were racist remarks when they weren't or the lies about Palin banning books and calling for creationism to be taught in the classroom?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
The media agree: McCain LIES!!!!!

St. Petersburg Times (Editorial) “Campaign of lies disgraces McCain” McCain's straight talk has become a toxic mix of lies and double-speak. It is leaving a permanent stain on his reputation for integrity, and it is a short-term strategy that eventually will backfire with the very types of independent-thinking voters that were so attracted to him.

Atlanta Journal Constitution (Jay Bookman) The volume and audacity of lies pouring from the McCain campaign is startling and even historic…That’s really something, lying straight out about a FactCheck group, knowing that you’re going to get caught but not giving a damn about it. With stuff like this, the McCain camp has cut any remaining tethers to reality and integrity and is now floating wherever the winds of illusion and whimsy may take them. It’s quite remarkable, and quite insulting to the intelligence of the American people.

Pittsburg Post Gazette (Tony Norman) Where have you gone, John McCain? You once said you'd rather lose an election than lose a war. Is it worth winning an election if it means forfeiting your soul on the altar of political expediency?...Where is the honor in reciting lies for something as transient as political advantage? What are we as voters supposed to make of political ads that accuse Barack Obama of advocating sex education for kindergartners?... Despite the intellectually dishonest maneuvering of your campaign, many Americans admire you, John McCain. Before you embraced the darkness, I was among those who disagreed with your politics, but considered you honorable. Now it's hard to look at you without seeing the scoundrels who made you what you are today.

Kansas City Star (Barb Shelly) McCain stoops to deception, distortion: Maybe you’ve seen it. The campaign ad cites the authoritative journal Education Week to claim that Democrat Barack Obama has been missing in action on education reform…Shamelessly misleading the public?...These are old tricks we’ve been seeing in local elections for years. Distort. Twist. Deceive. Damage. And the winning candidate drags a load of public contempt into office. I had hoped for better from McCain…John McCain may win the presidency this way, but he will lose the respect he has acquired over the years.

Boston Globe (Scot Lehigh) Pretzel logic from the McCain campaign: Here’s the question voters should be asking themselves this week: Just how stupid does the McCain-Palin campaign think I am? The answer: Dumb enough to hoodwink with charges so contrived and cynical they make your teeth ache…As the nonpartisan campaign watchdog FactCheck.org has made clear, this is a thoroughly dishonest ad [Kindergarten]. No matter. The McCain campaign has shown it's ready and willing to say preposterous things to win.

Washington Post (David Ignatius) Stopping at nothing to win: Thinking about the Palin choice, you begin to ponder other moves McCain has made on the road to winning the Republican nomination. McCain was right a few years ago to warn that Bush's tax cuts would have potentially ruinous fiscal consequences; now he favors extending the cuts that have produced a crisis of debt and deficit. Why did he switch his position, other than political opportunism?...In May 2006, after McCain had courted the Rev. Jerry Falwell in an effort to win conservative support, I asked him if he was bending his principles for the sake of winning. "I don't want it that badly," McCain answered. "I will continue to do what is right…If that means I can't get the Republican nomination, fine. I've had a happy life. The worst thing I can do is sell my soul to the devil." He was right.

Washington Post (Eugene Robinson) The Scream Machine: There was a time when Republicans campaigned on their ideas, programs and values. This year -- lacking ideas, programs or values -- John McCain and Sarah Palin are running for the White House on an elaborate fictional narrative of victimhood…Creating the false impression that Democrats and journalists are unfairly attacking Palin serves another purpose as well: It helps create the impression that legitimate and necessary questions about her record -- such as her one-time support for the Bridge to Nowhere or her history of seeking the congressional earmarks she now claims to reject -- are somehow out of bounds.

Chicago Tribune (Steve Chapman) To McCain the truth is expandable: McCain has concluded that a fact-based case about Obama isn't enough to prevail in November. So he has chosen to smear his opponent with ridiculous claims that he thinks the American people are gullible enough to believe. He has charged repeatedly that his opponent is willing to lose a war to win an election. What's McCain willing to lose to become president? Nothing so consequential as a war. Just his soul.

Chicago Tribune (Frank James) “McCain plays dirty on Obama & sex-ed” So the McCain ad, in the way it contorts the truth, is pretty shocking from a candidate who has promised to bring change and reform to Washington, a man who's urging Americans to live for a cause larger than themselves. This is an old-fashioned, unreconstructed politics whose goal, first and foremost, is to get the candidate elected, the truth be damned. McCain has said he'd rather lose a campaign than lose a war. But it appears from this ad he'd rather lose any purchase he has on straight-talk than lose this presidential election.

Chicago Tribune (Eric Zorn) `Sex ed' ad educates us on the character of John McCain: The surprise came at the end: I'm John McCain and I approved this message. With that infamous admission, McCain surrendered his integrity and signaled a willingness to say or do anything to get elected… We used to expect better from John McCain. No longer.

TIME (Joe Klein): A new rule here: Rather than do the McCain campaign's bidding by wasting space on Senator Honor's daily lies and bilge--his constant attempts to divert attention from substantive issues--I'm going to assume that others will spend more than enough time on the sewage that Steve Schmidt is shoveling and, from now on, try to stick to the issues.

TIME (Joe Klein) Apology Not Accepted: he is responsible for one of the sleaziest ads I've ever seen in presidential politics, so sleazy that I won't abet its spread by linking to it, but here's the McClatchy fact check.. I just can't wait for the moment when John McCain--contrite and suddenly honorable again in victory or defeat--talks about how things got a little out of control in the passion of the moment. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig.

TIME (Joe Klein)her McCain Flip Flop: Army Times, which is not--last time I checked--a radical left wing publication, takes John McCain to task for changing his position on the Future Combat Systems program. This is yet another example of how running for President has driven McCain off the deep end. In the past, he was one of the more consistent voices against foolish Pentagon weapon systems. Here's a program that McCain previously wanted to end. Then Obama says he wants to slow-walk it...and McCain--reflexively, it appears, and unable to recall that he previously opposed it--decides to support it.

New York Times (Paul Krugman) Blizzard of Lies: I’m talking, instead, about the relationship between the character of a campaign and that of the administration that follows. Thus, the deceptive and dishonest 2000 Bush-Cheney campaign provided an all-too-revealing preview of things to come…And now the team that hopes to form the next administration is running a campaign that makes Bush-Cheney 2000 look like something out of a civics class. What does that say about how that team would run the country? What it says, I’d argue, is that the Obama campaign is wrong to suggest that a McCain-Palin administration would just be a continuation of Bush-Cheney. If the way John McCain and Sarah Palin are campaigning is any indication, it would be much, much worse.

New York Times (Editorial): The most disheartening aspect of a scurrilous Republican ad falsely accusing Barack Obama of promoting sex education for kindergarten children is its closing line: “I’m John McCain, and I approved this message.” This from that straight-talker of yore, who fervidly denounced the 2004 Bush campaign’s Swift Boat character attacks on John Kerry’s military record. What a difference four years makes, especially after Mr. McCain secured the nomination by hiring some of the same low-blow artists from the Bush campaign.

New York Times (Larry Rohter): The advertisement [“Disrespectful”] is the latest in a number that resort to a dubious disregard for the facts. The nonpartisan political analysis group Factcheck.org has already criticized “Disrespectful” as “particularly egregious,” saying that it “goes down new paths of deception,” and is “peddling false quotes.”

New York Times (Michael Cooper and Jim Rutenberg) McCain Barbs Stirring Outcry as Distortions: Mr. McCain came into the race promoting himself as a truth teller and has long publicly deplored the kinds of negative tactics that helped sink his candidacy in the Republican primaries in 2000. But his strategy now reflects a calculation advisers made this summer — over the strenuous objections of some longtime hands who helped him build his “Straight Talk” image — to shift the campaign more toward disqualifying Mr. Obama in the eyes of voters.

ABC News-Political Punch (Jake Tapper): One can only imagine what the John McCain of 2004 – who called the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth ads “dishonest and dishonorable” – would say about this ad… I suppose one could twist this stuff any way you want if your only point is to make an inflammatory charge. And win an election… The New York Times’ “Checkpoint” (“Ad on Sex Education Distorts Obama Policy “), Factcheck.org (“Obama, contrary to the ad's insinuation, does not support explicit sex education for kindergarteners”) and the Washington Post’s Fact Checker ("McCain's 'Education' Spot Is Dishonest, Deceptive") say the ad is a gross distortion. I agree -- in both senses of the word "gross."

AP (Charles Babington): The "Straight Talk Express" has detoured into doublespeak. Republican presidential nominee John McCain, a self-proclaimed tell-it-like-it-is maverick, keeps saying his running mate, Sarah Palin, killed the federally funded Bridge to Nowhere when, in fact, she pulled her support only after the project became a political embarrassment. He said Friday that Palin never asked for money for lawmakers' pet projects as Alaska governor, even though she has sought nearly $200 million in earmarks this year. He says Obama would raise nearly everyone's taxes, when independent groups say 80 percent of families would get tax cuts instead.

Editorials aren't facts. I know you have trouble with that kind of thing so I'm pointing it out to you again. Please don't call the cops on me.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
he's gunna call the fact police on you!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts

I read the whole article & agree that both campaigns are over the top but you still have McCain running some ads that even Rove is criticising. And I don't see how the town halls would have prevented McCain from running such an ad.
town hall meetings force the guys to stick to the issues and the other guy is less likely to use political spin or lie about his opponent when the guy is sitting 3 feet away from him.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
ahem

BIG trouble for the DNC.
IT JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Obama admits he's been running the more negative campaign:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=5803765&page=1
 Quote:
"If we're going to ask questions about, you know, who has been promulgating negative ads that are completely unrelated to the issues at hand, I think I win that contest pretty handily," Obama said.

PJP #1004395 2008-09-15 8:17 PM
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
ahem

BIG trouble for the DNC.

OR, AT LEAST, BIGGER!!!

Uschi said:
I won't rape you, I'll just fuck you 'till it hurts and then not stop and you'll cry.

MisterJLA: RACKS so hard, he called Jim Rome "Chris Everett." In Him, all porn is possible. He is far above mentions in so-called "blogs." RACK him, lest ye be lost!

"I can't even brush my teeth without gagging!" - Tommy Tantillo: Wank & Cry, heckpuppy, and general laughingstock

Joe Mama #1004398 2008-09-15 8:23 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Joe Mama
ahem

BIG trouble for the DNC.

OR, AT LEAST, BIGGER!!!

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

PJP #1004402 2008-09-15 8:27 PM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
ahem

BIG trouble for the DNC.

IF ONLY THERE WERE A BIGGER MOTIE I COULD USE!!!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Joe Mama
ahem

BIG trouble for the DNC.

OR, AT LEAST, BIGGER!!!

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

AND THEN HE PUNCHED HER!!! IN HER EYE!!! AND PEED HIMSELF!!!

Uschi said:

Page 25 of 38 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 37 38

Link Copied to Clipboard