Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 38 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 37 38
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/sep/15/records-show-mccain-more-bipartisan/

Quote:
Sen. John McCain's record of working with Democrats easily outstrips Sen. Barack Obama's efforts with Republicans, according to an analysis by The Washington Times of their legislative records.

Whether looking at bills they have led on or bills they have signed onto, Mr. McCain has reached across the aisle far more frequently and with more members than Mr. Obama since the latter came to the Senate in 2005.

In fact, by several measures, Mr. McCain has been more likely to team up with Democrats than with members of his own party. Democrats made up 55 percent of his political partners over the last two Congresses, including on the tough issues of campaign finance and global warming. For Mr. Obama, Republicans were only 13 percent of his co-sponsors during his time in the Senate, and he had his biggest bipartisan successes on noncontroversial measures, such as issuing a postage stamp in honor of civil rights icon Rosa Parks.

With calls for change in Washington dominating the campaign, both Mr. Obama, the Democrats' presidential nominee, and Mr. McCain, his Republican opponent, have claimed the mantle of bipartisanship.

But since 2005, Mr. McCain has led as chief sponsor of 82 bills, on which he had 120 Democratic co-sponsors out of 220 total, for an average of 55 percent. He worked with Democrats on 50 of his bills, and of those, 37 times Democrats outnumber Republicans as co-sponsors.

Mr. Obama, meanwhile, sponsored 120 bills, of which Republicans co-sponsored just 26, and on only five bills did Republicans outnumber Democrats. Mr. Obama gained 522 total Democratic co-sponsors but only 75 Republicans, for an average of 13 percent of his co-sponsors.

An Obama campaign spokesman declined to comment on The Times analysis.

McCain campaign surrogate Sen. Lindsey Graham, though, said the numbers expose a difference between the two candidates.

"The number - 55 and 13 - probably shows that one has been more desirous to find common ground than the other. The legislative record of Senator Obama is very thin," said Mr. Graham, South Carolina Republican, who has teamed up with Mr. McCain probably more than any other senator.

The Times study looked at the bills each man introduced as the chief sponsor, and at the bills sponsored by other senators that each man signed onto. The study excluded resolutions and amendments, focusing instead on measures that each man authored and put into the normal legislative process.

Former Sen. James Jeffords of Vermont, Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, all independents, were grouped with Democrats because each caucused with Democrats during the time under study.

Bipartisanship is a frequent issue on the campaign trail, with the McCain camp and surrogates such as Mr. Graham arguing the standard is how often someone takes leadership on an issue in defiance of his own party - a measure by which Mr. Obama falls short and Mr. McCain clearly excels.

He even revels in his stances, telling the audience at a values forum at Saddleback Church in California last month his list is extensive: "Climate change, out-of-control spending, torture." He could have added campaign-finance overhaul, immigration, a patients' bill of rights, gun control and tax cuts as other areas on which he's broken with the majority of his party.

At the same forum, Mr. Obama said his major break with Democrats came on congressional ethics, when he sponsored a bill to curb meals and gifts from lobbyists.

In a memo to reporters, his campaign points to bills he worked on that gained near-unanimous support from both parties, including a bill more than a third of the Senate signed onto, sponsored by Sen. Sam Brownback, Kansas Republican, pushing peace initiatives in Sudan, and a bill sponsored by Sen. Orrin G. Hatch, Utah Republican, on charitable contributions that passed by a voice vote in each chamber.

But foremost, his campaign cites his work teaming up in 2006 with Sen. Richard G. Lugar, Indiana Republican, on the Cooperative Proliferation Detection Act, a noncontroversial measure to secure weapons of mass destruction, and with Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, to force the administration to create a searchable database to track federal spending grants.

Speaking to reporters during the Republican National Convention earlier this month Obama aide Robert Gibbs said Mr. Lugar and Mr. Coburn would back up Mr. Obama's bipartisanship claims.

Mr. Lugar's spokesman said the senator is not doing interviews on the subject. Mr. Coburn, in an interview, said Mr. Obama is a good senator to work with, but said there's no comparison to Mr. McCain's long record.

"Barack is a great guy, a nice guy, he's a good friend of mine. He has passed two pieces of legislation since he's been in the Senate - had his name on two," Mr. Coburn said. He praised Mr. Obama's staff for the work they did on the spending grants bill, but he said Mr. Obama hasn't gone head-to-head against his leadership when it mattered: "Where have you seen him challenge the status quo?"

Mr. McCain on the campaign trail cites his own frequent Democratic legislative allies such as Mr. Lieberman, with whom he's worked on gun control and global warming; Sen. Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts, who was his partner for immigration and patients' rights; Sen. Russell D. Feingold of Wisconsin, who worked with him on campaign finance; and Sen. Byron Dorgan of North Dakota, who was the top Democrat on the Indian Affairs Committee when Mr. McCain was chairman.

Mr. Feingold, Mr. Dorgan and Mr. Kennedy didn't respond or declined through spokesmen to talk about the issue. Mr. Lieberman, however, has gone in the opposite direction, endorsing Mr. McCain for office and hitting Mr. Obama for failing to live up to his bipartisan claims.

Mr. Graham said it was unfortunate people weren't recognizing their work with Mr. McCain.

"What you've got now is, you've got some people who are afraid to recognize John's bipartisanship because of the nature of the election," Mr. Graham said.

Mr. Graham has teamed up with Mr. McCain on some of his most contentious bills, including the immigration and campaign-finance fights, and said they both have "the scars to prove" they were in the fights.

"I have experienced the price that's been paid to help John do some difficult things since 2004," he said.

Those fights are part of the reason Mr. McCain had trouble securing the Republican presidential nomination, including winning less than 50 percent of Republican primary voters' support, despite clearing the field less than halfway through the primaries.

The Times analysis found Mr. McCain's most frequent Democratic teammates are Mr. Dorgan, with whom he shared leadership of the Indian Affairs Committee and who co-sponsored 23 of Mr. McCain's bills, and Mr. Lieberman, who signed onto 15 McCain bills.

Mr. Obama's most frequent Republican partners were Mr. Lugar, who co-sponsored nine Obama bills, and Sen. Norm Coleman, Minnesota Republican, who signed on to eight of Mr. Obama's measures.

The bill on which Mr. McCain attracted the most support in the past few years was his plan to combat greenhouse-gas emissions. That bill garnered 16 co-sponsors, 14 of whom were Democrats, including Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr., Democrats' vice-presidential nominee. Mr. Obama himself signed onto another of Mr. McCain's global-warming bills.

Mr. Obama's best successes in attracting co-sponsors came on a bill to boost the union's bargaining power with the Federal Aviation Administration, on which all 38 co-sponsors were Democrats, and a bill to issue a postage stamp honoring Mrs. Parks, which garnered 24 Democrats and 14 Republicans.

The Times study didn't look at voting, but Congressional Quarterly conducts annual studies of senators' voting records.

Over his Senate career, Mr. McCain has voted with the majority of Senate Republicans about 85 percent of the time, while in his three years in the Senate Mr. Obama has voted with his party 97 percent of the time.

this will deeply sadden whomod and Pro. the Obamassiah lied to them again....

the G-man #1004438 2008-09-15 10:37 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
But, seriously, this is big news: The latest polling finds McCain only five points behind Barack Hussein Obama among likely New York voters. New York is, quite possibly, the blue-est of blue states. To have a Republican within striking distance of any democrat is BIG trouble for the DNC.

I don't remember hearing of the Sienna poll before. We'll see if that's reflective of any others before I give it to much merit. I will say I'm surprised that there is any poll in NY with those results.

Fair play!
thedoctor #1004440 2008-09-15 10:52 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Where are all the articles about Obama making claims that what his opponents said were racist remarks when they weren't or the lies about Palin banning books and calling for creationism to be taught in the classroom?

Obama didn't take ads out saying those things about his opponents (as far as I know). Nor does he have as long of a record getting out there & asking for a higher bar in political campaigning. McCain has spent years saying one thing & now we're seeing an ad where he attacks Obama for trying to protect kindergardners from sexual predators. If it wasn't an election I think you would agree that isn't cool.

And while Palin didn't have a list of books to ban she did ask the librarian repeatedly, if she would be willing to remove books if palin asked it of her. Palin eventually fired the popular librarian & was forced to hire her back. That should bother you too & I hope Obama does do an ad on it eventually.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
REPEATEDLY!

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
On Sex-Ed Ad, McCain Is Right: What that Illinois sex-education bill was really about.

So it was Obama and his media supporters that lied (again), not McCain. Surprise. Surprise.

the G-man #1004621 2008-09-16 4:11 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
On Sex-Ed Ad, McCain Is Right: What that Illinois sex-education bill was really about.

So it was Obama and his media supporters that lied (again), not McCain. Surprise. Surprise.

Oh please, even Karl Rove who advises the McCain campaign criticised McCain on this one.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I never realized you saw Rove as the final arbitrator of all things moral and ethical. Go figure.

The simple fact of the matter is that more people are starting to actually read the text of the Obama bill, and not the Obama/media 'spin' and are seeing that the effect of it was exactly what the McCain campaign alleged.

Now, to be fair to Obama, he's relatively inexperienced as a politician and may not have realized what was in the bill and/or what the effect of the bill would be. However, that doesn't change the fact that legal language has meaning and the language of that bill had the meaning McCain's said.

the G-man #1004629 2008-09-16 6:33 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Sigh...a McCain adviser jokes that his boss created the Blackberry. Associated Press treats it like real news.

Damn, the press is still bitter over Algore, isn't it?

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
McCain now says he created cell phones and wi-fi too!! Yes he did:

Quote:
I am the former chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation. The Committee plays a major role in the development of technology policy, specifically any legislation affecting communications services, the Internet, cable television and other technologies. Under my guiding hand, Congress developed a wireless spectrum policy that spurred the rapid rise of mobile phones and Wi-Fi technology that enables Americans to surf the web while sitting at a coffee shop, airport lounge, or public park.

You have to be one heck of a visionary to create wi-fi for computers when you don't even really know what a computer is. Now that's American ingenuity, my friends. (And Al Gore's supposed claim of helping to create the Internet is based on the same premise, passing legislation that created an environment in which it flourished. You can't criticize Gore and praise McCain. The lies finally caught up with McCain. (Scientific American confirms he said it.)

With that and his freely quoting Herbert Hoover yesterday about the "fundamentals of our economy being strong", he's starting to get back to his senior moments of a while back. Hopfully tolday he'll tell us that "prosperity is just around the corner"

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
wow i knew whomod couldnt speak english well, i had no idea he couldnt read it either....

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I guess the Daily Kos didn't have any other way to say that Palin's youngest son is actually her daughter's kid.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
whomod #1004652 2008-09-16 7:11 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Sigh...a McCain adviser jokes that his boss created the Blackberry. Associated Press treats it like real news.

Damn, the press is still bitter over Algore, isn't it?

A few minutes later...

Originally Posted By: whomod
McCain now says he created cell phones and wi-fi too!! Yes he did

He's like Pavlov's fucking dog he's so predictable

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Hey G-Man.... The Blackberry was invented by a Canadian company -- not by John McCain. There's a rather serious side to McCain's claim that he invented the Blackberry. The Blackberry has been the subject of some rather high-stakes law suits. If in fact McCain created the device, and not Research in Motion - or even if McCain were a co-inventor - this would raise some interesting legal issues with regards to who owns the rights to the device. I would suspect Research in Motion isn't interested in watering down its patent, which to my eye is exactly what John McCain just did today.)

Today, McCain's campaign claimed that McCain created the Blackberry. Regardless of whether G-man thinks it was as a "joke". Blackberry was developed by Research in Motion, a Canadian company. If McCain's campaign knew how to use the Google, they'd have known this important fact.

I guess not only did McCain invent the BlackBerry -- he outsourced it! McCain is now a serial liar!!!!!! Looks like besides dementia, he's now developing Munchausen syndrome!

whomod #1004666 2008-09-16 7:20 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
wow whomod linked to a liberal blog! it's a thanksmas miracle!

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
wow i knew whomod couldnt speak english well, i had no idea he couldnt read it either....

Hey britney. American workers are now called "funadamentals".

Just thought you should know.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts

Hey britney. American workers re now called "funadamentals".

Just thought you should know.

i see you cant type it either!

whomod #1004677 2008-09-16 7:36 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Hey G-Man.... The Blackberry was invented by a Canadian company -- not by John McCain. There's a rather serious side to McCain's claim that he invented the Blackberry. The Blackberry has been the subject of some rather high-stakes law suits. If in fact McCain created the device, and not Research in Motion - or even if McCain were a co-inventor - this would raise some interesting legal issues with regards to who owns the rights to the device. I would suspect Research in Motion isn't interested in watering down its patent, which to my eye is exactly what John McCain just did today.)

Today, McCain's campaign claimed that McCain created the Blackberry. Regardless of whether G-man thinks it was as a "joke". Blackberry was developed by Research in Motion, a Canadian company. If McCain's campaign knew how to use the Google, they'd have known this important fact.

I guess not only did McCain invent the BlackBerry -- he outsourced it! McCain is now a serial liar!!!!!! Looks like besides dementia, he's now developing Munchausen syndrome!

Jesus Christ, you really are dense, aren't you?

The original story, at CNN and elsewhere, made it clear that it was a joke and that McCain didn't say it, a staffer did:
  • McCain senior aide Matt McDonald said that the senator "laughed" when he heard the comment.

"He would not claim to be the inventor of anything, much less the BlackBerry. This was obviously a boneheaded joke by a staffer," McDonald said.

the G-man #1004678 2008-09-16 7:37 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i love this, if the best that the Obamassiahites can come up with is this, theyve ran out of straws....

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
It's amazing how bitter they are about Gore's claim to have invented the internet. In fact, if they get any bitterer they might start clinging to guns and religion.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
i love this, if the best that the Obamassiahites can come up with is this, theyve ran out of straws....

No, the best we can come up with is McCain economic advisor Phil Gramm (and possible Treasury secretary pick)deregulating Wall Street, the fact that McCain has lied chronically since the GOP convention, Sarah Palin's ethics investigation, McCain saying the economy is fundamentally strong, McCain agreeing with bush over 95% of the time yet he thinks he's "change", the fact that he touts himself as a foreign policy "expert" yet routinely gets basic facts wrong, the fact hat he's 71 years old and he has a lightweight ready to step in, the fact that his VP also has lied chronically since the GOP convention on everything from the bridge to nowhere to the jet on e-Bay to all the countries she's toured.

That's just off the top of my head.

Plus the fact that alone, McCain still can't seem to inspire anyone much enough to actually attend his events.

whomod #1004681 2008-09-16 7:47 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

the G-man #1004686 2008-09-16 8:06 PM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
COMEDY GOLD!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts

whomod #1004696 2008-09-16 8:59 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
...McCain economic advisor Phil Gramm (and possible Treasury secretary pick)deregulating Wall Street...

Oopsie. Turns out the bill to which whomod refers was co-sponsored by an Obama advisor and signed into law (after passing the Senate 90-8) by President Bill Clinton.

the G-man #1004734 2008-09-16 10:29 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts

The original story, at CNN and elsewhere, made it clear that it was a joke and that McCain didn't say it, a staffer did:
  • McCain senior aide Matt McDonald said that the senator "laughed" when he heard the comment.

"He would not claim to be the inventor of anything, much less the BlackBerry. This was obviously a boneheaded joke by a staffer," McDonald said.

Yeah, and I'd almost have believed you, except that the "joke" was the same "joke" that McCain is himself quoted as saying by Scientific American. Of which I did provide a link for you. Jesus Christ!, you are dense! Note the "joke" the McCain campaign is now saying an aide told earlier today about McCain helping to create the BlackBerry.

Quote:
Asked what work John McCain did as Chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee that helped him understand the financial markets, the candidate's top economic adviser wielded visual evidence: his BlackBerry.

"He did this," Douglas Holtz-Eakin told reporters this morning, holding up his BlackBerry. "Telecommunications of the United States is a premier innovation in the past 15 years, comes right through the Commerce committee so you're looking at the miracle John McCain helped create and that's what he did."

Now note the non-joke in which McCain himself, using the exact same language as the "joke," says that he helped create the cell phone and wi-fi:

Quote:
I am the former chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation. The Committee plays a major role in the development of technology policy, specifically any legislation affecting communications services, the Internet, cable television and other technologies. Under my guiding hand, Congress developed a wireless spectrum policy that spurred the rapid rise of mobile phones and Wi-Fi technology that enables Americans to surf the web while sitting at a coffee shop, airport lounge, or public park.

So was McCain "joking" too - pretty stupid way to run a presidential campaign, putting out repeated "jokes" lying about your boss's record, or did the McCain aide in fact tell the truth as the campaign sees it, that John McCain thinks he created the Blackberry? It's pretty clear that the campaign thinks all of this is true, but now is running scared because this lie was one lie too many.

whomod #1004735 2008-09-16 10:31 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts

yeah, we caught the tears the first time!

Irwin Schwab #1004736 2008-09-16 10:33 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
btw i read Obama was in LA schmoozing with the Hollywood elite today, is that near Bellflower?

whomod #1004738 2008-09-16 10:35 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts

Yeah, and I'd almost have believed you, except that the "joke" was the same "joke" that McCain is himself quoted as saying by Scientific American. Of which I did provide a link for you. Jesus Christ!, you are dense! Note the "joke" the McCain campaign is now saying an aide told earlier today about McCain helping to create the BlackBerry.

Quote:
Asked what work John McCain did as Chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee that helped him understand the financial markets, the candidate's top economic adviser wielded visual evidence: his BlackBerry.

"He did this," Douglas Holtz-Eakin told reporters this morning, holding up his BlackBerry. "Telecommunications of the United States is a premier innovation in the past 15 years, comes right through the Commerce committee so you're looking at the miracle John McCain helped create and that's what he did."

Now note the non-joke in which McCain himself, using the exact same language as the "joke," says that he helped create the cell phone and wi-fi:

Quote:

So was McCain "joking" too - pretty stupid way to run a presidential campaign, putting out repeated "jokes" lying about your boss's record, or did the McCain aide in fact tell the truth as the campaign sees it, that John McCain thinks he created the Blackberry? It's pretty clear that the campaign thinks all of this is true, but now is running scared because this lie was one lie too many.

Oh here, you dodged this.

whomod #1004739 2008-09-16 10:39 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
the "joke" was the same "joke" that McCain is himself quoted as saying by Scientific American.

The Scientific American article you posted does not, at any point, quote McCain as having claimed to invent either the Blackberry or WiFi.

So the only inventing I see here is you inventing another fake source.

whomod #1004741 2008-09-16 10:41 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
The man can't sop himself from lying!!!

Quote:
September 16, 2008, 11:23 am
Journal Disputes McCain’s Health Care Claims
By Kevin Sack

Senator John McCain’s top domestic policy adviser, former Congressional Budget Office director Douglas J. Holtz-Eakin, recently said in a conference call with reporters that Mr. McCain’s health care proposal would “put 25 to 30 million individuals out of the ranks of the uninsured, into the ranks of the insured.” In an article released Tuesday, a panel of prominent health economists concludes that Mr. Holtz-Eakin’s projection is off by, well, 25 to 30 million.

I think it's real "honorable" that McCain intends to squeak into the White House on naked deception.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts

Irwin Schwab #1004745 2008-09-16 10:42 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
btw i read Obama was in LA schmoozing with the Hollywood elite today, is that near Bellflower?

Irwin Schwab #1004747 2008-09-16 10:43 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts

the G-man #1004750 2008-09-16 10:43 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
the "joke" was the same "joke" that McCain is himself quoted as saying by Scientific American.

The Scientific American article you posted does not, at any point, quote McCain as having claimed to invent either the Blackberry or WiFi.

Speaking of dodging....

whomod #1004751 2008-09-16 10:44 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

Oh Christ, he's become so addicted to graemlins now that he's saving new ones in an imageshack account.

whomod #1004752 2008-09-16 10:45 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts

the last time i used google i found out your national guard blocking new orleans residents story was fake. i promised never to betray your insanity that way again.

the G-man #1004758 2008-09-16 10:46 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts

Speaking of dodging....

what else did McCain invent?

Fire?

The wheel?

whomod #1004760 2008-09-16 10:48 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts

Speaking of dodging....

what else did McCain invent?

Fire?

The wheel?

muslim headdress?

no wait, that was Obama!

Irwin Schwab #1004762 2008-09-16 10:49 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
And the internet, McCain didn't invent that. Algore did.

Page 26 of 38 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 37 38

Link Copied to Clipboard