Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1029522 2008-12-09 2:05 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Illinois Governor Taken Into Federal Custody
  • Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was arrested at his North Side home Tuesday morning. His chief of staff John Harris was taken into federal custody as well.

The criminal complaint by the FBI agents said the two had been arrested on federal corruption charges. Each were arrested on two charges of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and solicitation of bribery.

Blagojevich and Harris will have an initial appearance in U.S. District Court Tuesday.

The arrest is the latest step in a three-year probe of "pay-to-play politics" in the governor's administration. A statement by U.S. attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said Blagojevich and Harris "allegedly conspired to sell U.S. Senate appointment, engaged in pay-to-play schemes and threatened to withhold state assistance to Tribune Company for Wrigley Field to induce purge of newspaper editorial writers."

Federal authorities were permitted by a judge to record the governor secretly before the November election after raising concerns that a replacement for President-elect Barack Obama would be tainted.

Fitzgerald's office said the 76-page FBI affidavit alleges that Blagojevich was taped conspiring to sell or trade Obama's vacated U.S. Senate seat for financial and other personal benefits for himself and his wife.

According to the affidavit, Blagojevich floated the idea of "a substantial salary for himself at a either a nonprofit foundation or an organization affiliated with labor unions;" a corporate board seat for his wife worth as much as $150,000 a year; promises of campaign funds, including cash up front; and a Cabinet post or ambassadorship for himself.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Hmmmmmm:
  • The charges also relate to allegations that Blagojevich and Harris schemed with previously convicted defendants and Obama associates Antonin Rezko, Stuart Levine, Ali Ata and others to arrange financial benefits in exchange for appointments to state boards and commissions, state employment, state contracts and access to state funds.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Since Obama bought the election shouldn't it be okay to sell his old seat?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
To be fair, the US Attorney is advising that, at this point, Obama appears to be in the clear with regard to the charges.

However, the Blagojevich connection is merely the latest in a long line of troubling associations for Obama: Rezko, Wright, Ayers, etc.

Either he's a very naive man, who can't see obvious moral failings in his associates or he's content looking the other way in the face of wrongdoing to gain political advantage. You have to wonder whether the judgment he's displayed in his associations in the past, will be a prologue to how he conducts himself as president, especially when you see his picks for AG and Secretary of State.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
ABC News: Questions Arise About the Obama/Blagojevich Relationship

• "Obviously like the rest of the people of Illinois I am saddened and sobered by the news that came out of the US attorney's office today," said President-elect Obama this afternoon in Chicago, speaking of the criminal complaint against Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich for corruption. "But as this is a ongoing investigation involving the governor I don't think it would be appropriate for me to comment on the issue at this time."

Asked what contact he'd had with the governor's office about his replacement in the Senate, President-elect Obama today said "I had no contact with the governor or his office and so we were not, I was not aware of what was happening."

But on November 23, 2008, his senior adviser David Axelrod appeared on Fox News Chicago and said something quite different.

While insisting that the President-elect had not expressed a favorite to replace him, and his inclination was to avoid being a "kingmaker," Axelrod said, "I know he's talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
First he says that all Chicago agencies are to stop doing business with Bank of America (for some loan issues I'm still learning about), then 6am this morning he's arrested. I love this town...

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh

Either he's a very naive man, who can't see obvious moral failings in his associates or he's content looking the other way in the face of wrongdoing to gain political advantage.

You realize that also describes George W. Bush, right?

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

Either he's a very naive man, who can't see obvious moral failings in his associates or he's content looking the other way in the face of wrongdoing to gain political advantage.

You realize that also describes obama and every other politician, right?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
It would be fruitless to ask Snarf how many domestic terrorist and racist pastors Bush has been friends with, he'd has no clue what the hell he is talking about.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

You realize that also describes George W. Bush, right?

Actually, I've said in the past that I thought that Bush was too loyal to people who didn't deserve that loyalty. See, e.g., former AG Albert Gonzales.

But I guess, in Snarf's mind, Bush's failings excuse Obama's failings.

"Change" indeed.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Who can't equate hiring an under qualified AG with being friends with a terrorist?

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
HE should just have Arbitron "find" higher ratings for the network.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Fox is reporting that Jesse Jackson Jr. is "client number five," who supposedly offered to pay for the Senate seat.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
BTW, I'm really surprised that whomod, MEM and Promod haven't weighed in on this, being the board's guardians of political virtue and all.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-Eater Man
this is all just speculation, and IMHO you are just blowing it out of proportion with your partisan smears.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I guess trying to sell a Senate seat just isn't as bad as trying to fire a crooked cop who tasered a kid.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Obama Aware of Blagojevich Hardball? Complaint suggests Obama's team may have caught wind of governor's alleged dealings

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081212/pl_politico/16520

Quote:
Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell today criticized Barack Obama for not being more upfront about the Illinois corruption scandal.

Now, he said, the story will continue to dominate the media’s attention.

“They have never been in an executive position before,” Rendell said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” “The rule of thumb is whatever you did, say it and get it over with and make it a one-day story as opposed to a three-day story. Politicians are always misjudging the intelligence of the American people.”

Known for his blunt critiques of fellow Democrats, Rendell did not hold back during the interview.

The public, said Rendell, understands Obama and his aides would have an interest in who fills the Senate seat and some contact with the governor's office — and that Obama should have said as much at the outset.

"Did Rahm Emanuel, who took Rod Blagojevich's seat in Congress, have contact with Rod Blagojevich? Of course he did," Rendell said. "They may have thought he was the craziest S.O.B. in the world. But you still have to have contact with him."

Obama issued a tepid statement on the first day of the scandal, issued a call through his spokesman for the governor’s resignation on the second day, and pledged Thursday to release details of his staff’s contact with Blagojevich’s office in the coming days.

Emanuel turned testy and declined to talk with a reporter who approached him Thursday at Chicago City Hall, where he was watching his children perform in a concert. The Chicago Sun-Times reporter pressed him to comment about whether he was the emissary named in the criminal complaint.

“You’re wasting your time,” Emanuel said. “I’m not going to say a word to you. I’m going to do this with my children. Don’t do that. I’m a father. I have two kids. I’m not going to do it.”

When pressed for comment, he said, “I’m not as capable as you. I’m going to be a father. I’m allowed to be a father,” and he pushed the reporter’s digital recorder away.

I hope Jason Perkins is handling this well.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Is Rendall white or black?

That'll tell us whether he considers Rendell a racist or an Uncle Tom.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I'm going to say both. As well he is not very sensitive to the Muslims, he didn't even refer to the President elects middle name.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
New York Post:

• Top Barack Obama adviser Rahm Emanuel gave aides to Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich a list of candidates he could appoint to the Senate who would be "acceptable" to the president-elect, according to a new report yesterday.

The stunning report from a Fox TV affiliate in Chicago also cited a source close to the investigation as saying Emanuel had "multiple" conversations about the Senate seat with Blogajevich and with his aides.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/us/politics/14emanuel.html?hp

Quote:
CHICAGO — President-elect Barack Obama’s chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, communicated with the office of Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich of Illinois about potential candidates for Mr. Obama’s Senate seat and provided a list of names, according to two Obama associates briefed on the matter.

The Obama associates said the interactions concerned several people who might fill the seat. Such contacts are common among party officials when a political vacancy is to be filled. It was not clear whether the communication was via direct telephone calls.

The Chicago Tribune reported that communications between Mr. Emanuel and the governor, both Democrats, had been captured on court-approved wiretaps, but Obama associates gave conflicting accounts of the interactions.

Obama aides have said privately that Mr. Emanuel did not engage in any deal-making with Mr. Blagojevich, whom federal prosecutors charged last week with conspiring to turn a profit from the appointment.

The federal inquiry is looking into the exact nature of Mr. Emanuel’s contacts with the governor’s office. Mr. Emanuel has not been accused of wrongdoing by federal prosecutors.

Mr. Obama has said he has never spoken with the governor about the seat. But Mr. Obama’s aides have declined for five days to answer publicly questions about what discussions they had about the seat, with several saying they were doing so at the request of the office of Patrick J. Fitzgerald, the United States attorney for the Northern District of Illinois.

In announcing the charges against Mr. Blagojevich, Mr. Fitzgerald said the president-elect was not implicated in the case.

The Illinois governor alone has the power to fill such vacancies. The criminal complaint against him alleges that he sought to benefit personally from the appointment by securing high-paying jobs for himself and his wife, or campaign contributions, in return for his selection.

Mr. Obama said Thursday that his aides were looking through all of their possible contacts with the governor and would release more information in the coming days. Republicans, meanwhile, have raised questions about Mr. Obama’s refusal to say more and about his past ties with the main characters in the story.

Mr. Emanuel’s list of possible candidates included a senior adviser to Mr. Obama, Valerie Jarrett; the Illinois attorney general, Lisa Madigan; Representative Jan Schakowsky; and Dan Hynes, the state comptroller.

The criminal complaint quotes Mr. Blagojevich as saying at one point that Mr. Obama’s aides were not willing to give him anything more than “appreciation” in return for appointing a candidate they favored.

Ms. Schakowsky told The New York Times last week that she called Mr. Emanuel last month when she was exploring whether she might fill Mr. Obama’s seat. She and Mr. Emanuel had served in the House together.

Ms. Schakowsky said Mr. Emanuel had declined to tell her if Mr. Obama had a favorite to fill the seat. She said he seemed wary about Mr. Blagojevich.

Transition officials would not comment publicly on Saturday.

One of the schemes Mr. Blagojevich is accused of involves Mr. Emanuel’s House seat, for which Illinois law requires a special election.

According to the criminal complaint, Mr. Blagojevich talked about approaching an unnamed “president-elect adviser” to ask for help raising “10, 15 million” for the governor to start a nonprofit organization.

The complaint quoted Mr. Blagojevich as saying that when the president-elect adviser asked him about the special election for the House seat, Mr. Blagojevich wanted “it to be in his head.”

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Blagojevich Weighs Legal Options: Observers say Illinois gov. may be contemplating a deal with prosecutors after his meeting with renowned criminal lawyer.

Meanwhile, Frank Rich, a columnist for the New York Times, surveys the scandal and announces that, despite the Governor's party affiliation and Obama's ties to Illinois politics, the scandal is really...yep..."Bush's Fault"(TM):
  • If you want to trace the bipartisan roots of the morally bankrupt culture that has now found its culmination in our financial apocalypse, a good place to start is late 2001 and 2002, just as the White House contemplated inflating Saddam’s W.M.D. That’s when we learned about another scandal with cooked books, Enron. This was a supreme embarrassment for Bush, whose political career had been bankrolled by the Enron titan Kenneth Lay, or, as Bush nicknamed him back in Texas, “Kenny Boy.”

I think he's on to something. After all, it isn't as if Chicago politics have been corrupt for the past half-century or anything.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
\:lol\:

this is rich, I wish whomod had been here to pretend he said that!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/12/jackson.jr.blagojevich/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Quote:
CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. said Friday that he was fighting to get "my name back" after he was identified as "Senate Candidate 5" in a criminal complaint against Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

Jackson, the son of famed civil rights leader Jesse Jackson and a six-term Democratic congressman from Chicago, had publicly sought to succeed President-elect Barack Obama in the U.S. Senate.

Jackson had talked to Blagojevich, the person with the sole power to make the appointment, on Monday, just one day before federal agents arrested the Illinois governor. Jackson said he only presented his credentials and polling information that suggests he could win re-election in 2010.

Jackson said he had fought corruption "since day one" but said he could not serve as Illinois senator until his name was cleared in the public eye.

"While I would be honored to serve the people of this state, it is clear to me that I am no capacity to serve them if there is a cloud over my head that seems to suggest that I am involved in some unscrupulous scheme to be a United States senator or anything else," Jackson told CNN's Don Lemon.

Prosecutors accuse Blagojevich of selling the Senate seat in exchange for campaign contributions and other favors. However, they did not accuse Jackson or any of the other candidates referred to in the complaint of wrongdoing.

Jackson denied participating in the "pay to play" politics that Blagojevich is accused of in a federal criminal complaint. Jackson also said he was eager to talk to U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald about his role.

"When it's over, I want every to know that I want my name back. ... I'm fighting now for my character, and I'm also fighting for my life," he said. "This is about my children being able to Google their name in five years and there be nothing there associated with them that suggests anything wrong."

Jackson said he does not understand why Blagojevich believed he would trade favors in exchange for an appointment to the Senate, saying he had "nothing to offer but my record of public service."

He also said he did not send an emissary -- including his father or his brother, Jonathan -- to Blagojevich offering favors.

"When the facts become clear ... I think the American people will recognize that the governor of our state is a little different," he said. VideoWatch Jackson question the governor's mental capacity »

Jackson said believed that it was wrong for politicians to believe they can gain personally as a result of holding public office.

"I think that there is a disconnect between public service and private sacrifice. ... If for one moment you think that public service is also private gain, then you are trampling on very, very unsteady ground that is likely to force you and good people with good names in a very different process," he said.

Ummm, your name is "Jesse Jackson" Jr., you didn't have that good of a name to begin with. When his children Google their name their gunna find out about all the dirty tricks and racial slurs grandpa did anyways.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Oopsie...today we learn from the New York Times and Wall Street Journal that      . . . surprise! Obama "dispatched" Emanuel to "to begin talking up Mr. Obama's preferred candidates."

So once again, Obama's initial "I had no contact" answer is proven to be inaccurate, or in a less sympathetic interpretation, a lie.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
whoopsy!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I dont think his lying on this matter will become of anything major(remember Bill perjured himself and got away with it), but what I am looking forward to is as more and more of his lies come to light the people who worshiped him as a demi-god(pro, whomod, we're looking at you) breaking down as they realize they bought into this shyster hook line and sinker. I can see some major breakdowns like that viral Britney Spears fan video coming....

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Nah. The kool-aid is too strong. They'll be blathering on about the "vast right wing conspiracy" again or incessantly dredging up something Bush did once.

Look at the chucklehead from the New York Times who tried to blame the corrupt Chicago system of the past half-century on the Iraq war.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
There are guys like the NY Times guy who deliberately shift the blame off of Obama, part of the left wing machine, I'm talking about the idiots they use like Pro and whomod, who dont know any better. Whomod and Pro really believe this stuff, guys like the Times writer know better but they lead these guys around.

Obama will eventually be painted into a corner and quite a few of them will crack.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obama

Quote:
CHICAGO – President-elect Barack Obama said Monday a review by his own lawyer shows he had no direct contact with Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich about the appointment of a Senate replacement, and transition aides did nothing inappropriate.

Well as long as his lawyers say so, I'm satisfied.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
My lawyer says I never do anything wrong, too!

That's his "Not Guilty" face.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The Chicago Sun-Times: "President-elect Barack Obama's chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, is reportedly on 21 different taped conversations by the feds — dealing with his boss' vacant Senate seat."

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I'm sorry but the Chicag Sun Times needs to shut the hell up, Obama's attorney clearly stated there had been no contact.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
I blame Abu Ghraib.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
The guy who gave Hal Jordan his ring?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
I'm sorry but the Chicago Sun Times needs to shut the hell up, Obama's attorney clearly stated there had been no contact.

\:lol\:

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I noticed that the headlines on Google and Yahoo don't cover this times story but the Attorneys statement was top of the heap all day yesterday.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
More of that "accountability journalism" I guess.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard