Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I stubbed my toe.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I think that it's really sad and pathetic of you to turn a tragedy like Katrina into a joke, MEM. Bad form.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #1038424 2009-02-01 3:45 AM
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
the liberal army is going to revoke his card.

thedoctor #1038427 2009-02-01 3:51 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
I think that it's really sad and pathetic of you to turn a tragedy like Katrina into a joke, MEM. Bad form.

Sorry I would have titled it Katrina 2 but that one was already being used.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Does the DNC know your making fun of Katrina?

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Have you demanded your handouts yet?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #1038434 2009-02-01 4:07 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex

Are you asking me or bsams? He has a similar thread where he seems to draw a comparison with Katrina (y'know that hurricane that killed over 1500 people a couple of years ago)

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
You should take that money and spend them on the same comedy lessons jermey is taking.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

Are you asking me or bsams? He has a similar thread where he seems to draw a comparison with Katrina (y'know that hurricane that killed over 1500 people a couple of years ago)

Yes, because you stubbing your toe is the same as this:

Quote:
Gov. Steve Beshear deployed every last one of his Army National Guardsmen on Saturday, with his state still reeling after a deadly ice storm encrusted it this week.

More than half a million homes and businesses, most of them in Kentucky, remained without electricity from the Ozarks through Appalachia, though temperatures creeping into the 40s helped a swarm of utility workers make headway. Finding fuel — heating oil along with gas for cars and generators — was another struggle for those trying to tough it out at home, with hospitals and other essential services getting priority over members of the public.

The addition of 3,000 soldiers and airmen makes 4,600 Guardsmen pressed into service. It's the largest call-up in Kentucky history, which Beshear called an appropriate response to a storm that cut power to more than 700,000 homes and businesses, the state's largest outage on record. Many people in rural areas cannot get out of their driveways due to debris and have no phone service, the governor said.

"With the length of this disaster and what we're expecting to be a multi-day process here, we're concerned about the lives and the safety of our people in their own homes," Beshear said, "and we need the manpower in some of the rural areas to go door-to-door and do a door-to-door canvass ... and make sure they're OK."

Staff Sgt. Erick Duncan of Murray said he and his colleagues have been putting in long shifts to open tree-littered roads. Duncan, who manned a chain saw, said he expects the assignment to last quite a while.

"It's a mess and we're just in the city limits," he said. "We're not even out in the county yet. And there's plenty of cities and counties to go to."

Thousands of people were staying in motels and shelters, asked to leave their homes by authorities who said emergency teams in some areas were too strapped to reach everyone in need of food, water and warmth. The outages disabled water systems, and authorities warned it could be days or weeks before power was restored in the most remote spots.

That uncertainty had many appealing for help and officials urging those in dark homes to leave, if they could — many were stuck in place by blocked roads and other obstacles.

The storm that began in the Midwest had been blamed or suspected in at least 42 deaths, including at least 11 in Kentucky, nine in Arkansas, six each in Texas and Missouri, three in Virginia, two each in Oklahoma, Indiana and West Virginia and one in Ohio. Most were blamed on hypothermia, traffic accidents and carbon monoxide poisoning.

In Kentucky, Beshear confirmed seven deaths late Saturday were a result of the storm and said officials were checking several others.

Beshear also said more than 700,000 Kentucky homes and businesses were left without power. The state's Public Service Commission had previously reported that 607,000 Kentucky customers were without power, a state record. But PSC spokesman Andrew Melnykovych said the figure did not include municipal utilities or rural electric cooperatives within the Tennessee Valley Authority system.

Some warned some could be waiting weeks for power to be restored. Never mind that temperatures rose above freezing in some Kentucky communities Saturday, helping to melt ice from trees and power lines. The meltdown left a tangle of fallen trees and branches even as other areas still struggled with ice.

"More and more people are wanting to come the shelters," said Capt. Don Hodgson of the Paducah Police Department. "It's starting to set in that they're going to be without power — in some cases more than 30 days."

At Graves County High School in western Kentucky, where 490 sought shelter Friday night, Ruthann Taylor, 23, said she tried to ride out the early part of the storm at home with her 1-year-old son, but it got too cold.

"I woke up the next morning and my son was pretty much an ice cube," Taylor said. "I said 'OK, we've got to go.'"

From Missouri to Ohio, thousands were waiting in shelters for the power to return. As far away as Oklahoma, around 10,000 customers still had no electricity.

In Missouri, about 150 Guard members were ordered out door-to-door to check on residents, taking the stranded to shelters and helping to clear emergency routes. All told, the storm knocked out power to more than 100,000 Missouri homes and businesses at its height.

Hopefully, Obama will 're-educate' you with one of his many 'summer retreat' camps to teach you not to be so heartless about other people's misery.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #1038443 2009-02-01 9:36 AM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
It's okay Doc, MEM doesn't value Appalachian life the same since it's not a liberal cause, we're just clinging to guns n' religion y'know.....

and as you know personally, in Katrina only poor inner city people suffered, you yourself had it made.....

thedoctor #1038452 2009-02-01 1:24 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

Hopefully, Obama will 're-educate' you with one of his many 'summer retreat' camps to teach you not to be so heartless about other people's misery.

It was a really bad ice storm but in scope of damage and loss of life it's not another Katrina. And I do feel bad that bsams had a couple days where he was inconvenienced but I'm also relieved he's got a home that he's already back in.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
People dying is an inconvenience when they live in Appalachia. Nice.

Irwin Schwab #1038465 2009-02-01 2:55 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
People dying is an inconvenience when they live in Appalachia. Nice.

I was speciffically speaking about you. You are not dead, you still have a home. The ice storm barely even broke up your routine of daily Obama bitching. That isn't comparable to people who have died in either situation.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
People have died in this storm. Quite a few. A life is a life. The fact that the lives in Katrina were in a heavy left leaning city of course makes it more tragic for you. I have the same sympathies for people no matter geography and political leanings. I find it nice that the Bush bashers aren't out in force over Obama having the same reaction to this ice storm as Bush did to Katrina. Doc and others have noted how they did for themselves in that storm and survived, same as most people here. A lot of people in Katrina waited for government help and paid the price. Just because people here have done for themselves doesn't mean they are any less important than the people who sat on their hands during their disaster.

Irwin Schwab #1038469 2009-02-01 3:29 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
People have died in this storm. Quite a few. A life is a life. The fact that the lives in Katrina were in a heavy left leaning city of course makes it more tragic for you. I have the same sympathies for people no matter geography and political leanings. I find it nice that the Bush bashers aren't out in force over Obama having the same reaction to this ice storm as Bush did to Katrina. Doc and others have noted how they did for themselves in that storm and survived, same as most people here. A lot of people in Katrina waited for government help and paid the price. Just because people here have done for themselves doesn't mean they are any less important than the people who sat on their hands during their disaster.

Loss of life from the ice storm and even all the property damge is tragic to me bsams. As I noted previously I'm personally happy for you that this didn't do much more than inconvenience you for a day or two and your an avid Obama hater. It still doesn't make it equal to Katrina. Way more people died and many had no homes or a business to go to the next day.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

It was a really bad ice storm but in scope of damage and loss of life it's not another Katrina. And I do feel bad that bsams had a couple days where he was inconvenienced but I'm also relieved he's got a home that he's already back in.

Listen, I'm giving you shit in this thread just to give you shit just like I do everyone else on this board. But I've got to say that BSAMS at least had a point to his other thread. I've, unfortunately, had to live through an ice storm in the past too. You have many of the same problems as you do with a hurricane but replace the hot, humid post-hurricane climate with a bitter, freezing one and add slick as shit roads that you can't drive on. The fact of the matter is that anytime the National Guard gets called out it's a pretty serious situation. Just because BSAMS is doing fine doesn't mean that this whole thing can just be brushed off. I know that the media hasn't stopped all coverage of other news to tell you about the horrible conditions of black people caught in the storm. I know that Sean Penn hasn't loaded down a snowmobile with his entourage and PR guy in a failed attempt to save the lives of those stuck in the cold. I know that Kanye West hasn't gone on national TV to say that Obama hates black people because he hasn't done anything to help. But it has happened, and people's lives are still in jeopardy.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts

So you're comparing people's deaths to your toe?

You're a monster.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

inconvenience you for a day or two and your an avid Obama hater. It still doesn't make it equal to Katrina.

Bsams, if you would just give up everything you believe in and start blinding worshiping obama like the rest of the obamanauts mem would like you more.

Be a little considerate of his feelings, he just stubbed his for for christ's sake!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts

Loss of life from the ice storm and even all the property damge is tragic to me bsams. As I noted previously I'm personally happy for you that this didn't do much more than inconvenience you for a day or two and your an avid Obama hater. It still doesn't make it equal to Katrina. Way more people died and many had no homes or a business to go to the next day.

If I had set in my house without electricity and waited for the government to save me I and my children would have been dead. Same with many people in this area. It wasn't an inconvenience finding shelter and heat, it was a life and death situation, but as I said, we took it upon ourselves to get what we needed to survive. The technocrats made such a big deal about the slow response to Katrina, but had everyone in this area drove to the ballpark and waited for helicopters to come save us, we would have died as well.

Were their people that died in Katrina that couldn't have saved themselves? Of course there was, same with this storm. But here there could have been an equal amount had they not took initiative. The technocrats acted as if the President was God and with one fell swoop could have saved everyone including those who were stupid enough to stay in a city below sea level with a hurricane bearing down on them. If they believed Bush had such power, why cant Obama save everyone in this insignificant(in your opinion) storm?

Pariah #1038475 2009-02-01 3:46 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah

So you're comparing people's deaths to your toe?

You're a monster.

it's the liberal way of life, their own personal pain is greater than the loss of life.

Irwin Schwab #1038476 2009-02-01 3:46 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Matter-eater Man argumentative User
Fair Play!
5000+ posts
12 minutes 9 seconds ago
Making a new reply
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: Re: Katrina 3

This is gonna be good.

thedoctor #1038477 2009-02-01 3:47 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
He prolly has a hang nail as bad as 9-11....

Irwin Schwab #1038478 2009-02-01 3:48 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Surely, that would call for another thread entirely.

thedoctor #1038483 2009-02-01 3:53 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

Listen, I'm giving you shit in this thread just to give you shit just like I do everyone else on this board. But I've got to say that BSAMS at least had a point to his other thread. I've, unfortunately, had to live through an ice storm in the past too. You have many of the same problems as you do with a hurricane but replace the hot, humid post-hurricane climate with a bitter, freezing one and add slick as shit roads that you can't drive on. The fact of the matter is that anytime the National Guard gets called out it's a pretty serious situation. Just because BSAMS is doing fine doesn't mean that this whole thing can just be brushed off. I know that the media hasn't stopped all coverage of other news to tell you about the horrible conditions of black people caught in the storm. I know that Sean Penn hasn't loaded down a snowmobile with his entourage and PR guy in a failed attempt to save the lives of those stuck in the cold. I know that Kanye West hasn't gone on national TV to say that Obama hates black people because he hasn't done anything to help. But it has happened, and people's lives are still in jeopardy.

If the amount of lives lost came even close to approaching Katrina levels you would have had similar reporting. Last count for the ice storm I saw was under 50, Katrina had over 1800. Some comparisons can be made as you could with any diseaster but you guys are ignoring that Katrina was far far worse by any measure. To pretend that doesn't play into the level of reporting something is just unrealistic.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Using mem's logic the only tragedy that really mattered was the holocaust since that's when the most people died.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
If the amount of lives lost came even close to approaching Katrina levels you would have had similar reporting. Last count for the ice storm I saw was under 50, Katrina had over 1800. Some comparisons can be made as you could with any diseaster but you guys are ignoring that Katrina was far far worse by any measure. To pretend that doesn't play into the level of reporting something is just unrealistic.

You took twenty minutes on that? So disappointing.

Anywho, the point BSAMS was originally making was the fact that people are doing ok because they are doing for themselves instead of waiting for someone to do for them. You can compare that with Katrina. I was in Katrina; so I am, by far, not downplaying how massive and destructive that thing was. Where you are comparing the death toll, we're talking about what people are doing to survive. Don't forget that the 1800 number you're throwing out isn't just the people lost during the initial landfall of the storm. Many died after the fact. Actually, the New Orleans number is due to flooding after the hurricane had past since it only grazed the city.

thedoctor #1038487 2009-02-01 4:15 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Anywho, the point BSAMS was originally making was the fact that people are doing ok because they are doing for themselves instead of waiting for someone to do for them. You can compare that with Katrina. I was in Katrina; so I am, by far, not downplaying how massive and destructive that thing was. Where you are comparing the death toll, we're talking about what people are doing to survive. Don't forget that the 1800 number you're throwing out isn't just the people lost during the initial landfall of the storm. Many died after the fact. Actually, the New Orleans number is due to flooding after the hurricane had past since it only grazed the city.

Again the scope of Katrina was worse. Bsams went to a shelter and had a home to return to. Many more people went to shelters during Katrina with no home to go back to. They did everything bsams did but he's better than them how?

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
He's not. He's better than the ones who sat on their asses waiting for the government to come directly to their aid. That's his point.

rex #1038489 2009-02-01 4:23 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Using mem's logic the only tragedy that really mattered was the holocaust since that's when the most people died.

Sure, as long as you ignore that I said otherwise...
 Originally Posted By: MEM
Loss of life from the ice storm and even all the property damge is tragic to me bsams.

Maybe you should just stick to the name calling Rex.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Loss of life from the ice storm and even all the property damge is tragic to me bsams.

And my point was that you were equating your stubbed toe joke with BSAMS's comparing of the ice storm he's in to Katrina. I've not been saying that you are heartless and don't care about human life. I've been pointing out how you're downplaying his post and situation in the ice storm because you didn't received your pamphlet from the DNC on it like you did Katrina.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

You also said stubbing your toe was more tragic than the ice storm. Why are liberals so dense when it comes to the truth?

thedoctor #1038499 2009-02-01 5:19 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
He's not. He's better than the ones who sat on their asses waiting for the government to come directly to their aid. That's his point.

The people who didn't seek shelter right away before Katrina hit had less of an option to seek shelter during and after the hurricane hit. Your comparing icy roads to not having any roads at all. Sure he's smarter than someone that lets themselves freeze to death but he's also luckier that the ice storm isn't as bad as Katrina was and he had shelter to be able to get to. Plus unlike Katrina most of the people affected by the ice storm have a home to return to.

Fair play!
rex #1038500 2009-02-01 5:25 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

You also said stubbing your toe was more tragic than the ice storm. Why are liberals so dense when it comes to the truth?

I just said I stubbed my toe, not that it was more tragic than the ice storm. Your probably confusing me with bsams who compared his day in the shelter to Katrina.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

I just said I stubbed my toe, not that it was more tragic than the ice storm. Your probably confusing me with bsams who compared his day in the shelter to Katrina.

Stop back peddling. Bsams had to completely change his life for a couple days because of the storm. He is an intelligent person who knew the storm was coming and actually did something for himself and his family. He took them to a safe place, without the help of the government. That makes him smarter than 90 percent of the population of new orleans. Stop demonizing people for having the ability to do something for themselves. See people for who they are. Stop thinking the government is the great savior. That way leads to retardation, but you already know that first hand.

rex #1038503 2009-02-01 5:50 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

Stop back peddling. Bsams had to completely change his life for a couple days because of the storm. He is an intelligent person who knew the storm was coming and actually did something for himself and his family. He took them to a safe place, without the help of the government. That makes him smarter than 90 percent of the population of new orleans. Stop demonizing people for having the ability to do something for themselves. See people for who they are. Stop thinking the government is the great savior. That way leads to retardation, but you already know that first hand.

I didn't back peddle. Here's my entire quote...
I stubbed my toe.

I also give credit for Bsams for not freezing to death but what did he do exactly to prepare for the ice storm? It sounds like it hit first and then he took shelter. That wasn't an option for many that got caught in Katrina. It really is better for you if you just stick to calling me names.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
That wasn't an option for many that got caught in Katrina.

Yes it was. They could have gotten out of the way and not killed. The great "tragedy" of katrina is that is showed just how pathetic some people really are. They sat there and died because the government didn't knock on their door and rescue them. Those are the true losers. The ones who have completely given up on independent thought.

rex #1038505 2009-02-01 6:26 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
That wasn't an option for many that got caught in Katrina.

Yes it was. They could have gotten out of the way and not killed. The great "tragedy" of katrina is that is showed just how pathetic some people really are. They sat there and died because the government didn't knock on their door and rescue them. Those are the true losers. The ones who have completely given up on independent thought.

Sure if they had evacuated before the storm hit they would have been safe, just like I'm sure bsams would have moved his family out of harms way before the roads got treacherous if he had known just how bad the ice storm was going to be. After Katrina hit, alot of people didn't have the option bsams had though.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I'm the only person in Appalachia, amazing really.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I don't find the carnage of Hurricane Katrina any more tragic than stubbing my toe.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
[quote=Matter-eater Man]
Sure if they had evacuated before the storm hit they would have been safe,

They didn't. That is the reality of what happened. Try dealing with it sometime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard