Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

The problem with that is the democratic party moved closer to the middle since the 70's while the GOP hasn't. And I'm not saying that the GOP should try to get democrats to vote for a different party but there are the votes inbetween the two that both of them need to get to win.

A correction:

The Democrat party has not moved to "the middle".

The Democrat party has moved to the FAR LEFT.

The GOP hasn't moved to the right. It has moved to the LEFT of the most popular center that existed during the Reagan and Bush Sr. years.

To summarize, the Republicans have moved to the left, and the Democrats have moved to the FAR left. To the right of both is "the middle" that has been lost, who are disgusted with both, and forced to subjectively decide which is the lesser of two evils.

As I've said many times, I voted Perot( 1992), Perot (1996), Nader (2000), Bush (2004) and McCain(2008).
Not once have I voted for a candidate I could fully endorse, not since Ronald Reagan and Bush Sr. So I'm an example of "the middle" that has been lost. The Republicans are not too conservative, they have in fact become too liberal.