Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
If gays want to stop this crap(I think it's bull to physically attack people because of differing views), you got to quit being victims man. Don't take the shit, and if you get it dont whine about it. I never cried about an ass whooping in my life deserved or not deserved.

presactly. because I learned just about everything I really needed to know on these boards (fucking hell), it's become obvious to me that when someone is the target of some good old-fashioned lulz, BAWWWWWWWWing about it will usually not help their cause. more often than not, it just lends people that much more ammo. it completely escapes me why no matter how many times that's been made obvious, people insist on lending their detractors more and more and more power by making themselves into either cowering, whimpering victims or self-absorbed, indignant WHARRGARBLERs who lash out at every real and perceived persecutor within reach.

Originally Posted By: klinton
I'm actually going to agree with that one. Far more appropriate (and effective) than any legislation is personal ownership. A victim is always going to allow themselves to be a victim.

very good. at no point is personal responsibility ever a bad idea, and it's especially imperative when you are trying to affect others' perception of a group with which you identify. as an individual, don't be a lolcow. if you willingly self-identify with a group of people, you share in the collective responsibility for how that group is perceived.

if people seek to invoke hate-crimes laws for comparatively minor offenses (albeit offenses nonetheless) such as verbal abuse, they are essentially the same thing as the pussy bitch who whines to rob about being picked on in OT. regardless of why you're being subjected to it, it's not like other people who don't identify with the same group(s) as you don't ever see verbal abuse of their own. wanting punishments to be stiffer when your 'people' are singled out than when other people are implies unwarranted self-importance.

look at the 60s for a moment. there were a couple different ways blacks in America reacted to injustice and sought equality. who do we remember as the most effective and meaningful? time and again it's the most dignified ones who kept their heads, didn't lash out blindly no matter how justified it might have seemed, and never compromised the integrity of their message for the sake of sheer volume. now look at the different ways gays are pursuing what they want today. I've seen one or two of the parades, and most of 'em are the antithesis of dignified. don't confront prejudice with actions that confirm stereotypes. I think you recognize this; your responses here tell me that you do. no movement will collectively be perceived as more legitimate than you as an individual representative of said movement choose to behave.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ