OP Offline
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch
 Originally Posted By: Nambla Zick

BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

\:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

\:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:\:lol\:

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/11/fact_check_this_associated_pre.html

Quote:
"I think Obama's in a league with TR," observes historian and presidential biographer Douglas Brinkley. "He created his political reputation through the written word."

To be sure, no one has ever accused Sarah Palin, a defeated vice presidential candidate, of creating her reputation thusly. One has to wonder, then, why her book, Going Rogue, would merit a fact-check by no fewer than eleven Associated Press reporters when neither the AP nor any other mainstream outlet has spent a moment vetting the books of the "author in chief," as President Barack Obama was anointed in a November GQ article, "Barack Obama's Work in Progress" by Tom Draper.

In an observant piece called the Road to Bali, blogger Tom Maguire addresses the implicit media balance. He does so by calling attention to just one relevant question that the media might have profitably asked our president: did you take new bride Michelle to Bali with you in 1993?

In the course of asking that question, not terribly significant in and of itself, Maguire sheds light on a more substantive question: why have the media paid so little attention to how Barack Obama came to write the book that would make his reputation -- his acclaimed 1995 memoir, Dreams From My Father?

As source, Maguire turns to Draper, who has spent time with Michelle and Barack and written the most detailed account to date of the genesis of Dreams. Blinded by Obama's light, however, Draper fails to see the gaping holes in his own storyline.

As Draper tells it, a February 1990 New York Times article telling how Harvard has elected Obama president of the Harvard Law Review attracted the attention of a young agent named Jane Dystel. Draper implies that Obama's "irresistible" writing skills netted him the position, which is not at all true.

In fact, the election was a popularity contest held in racially charged environment. The culturally ambiguous Obama won on his race-healing talents, not his literary ones. He would contribute only one leaden, unsigned case note to the HLR and has not written another legal article since.

According to Draper, on November 28, 1990, Poseidon Press, a Simon & Schuster imprint, issued "a six-figure contract" to Obama for a book tentatively titled Journeys in Black and White. In his recent book, Barack and Michelle: Portrait of An American Marriage, Christopher Andersen specifies the amount at $150,000.

In the hope of recruiting Obama, the University of Chicago Law School offered him an office to use for finishing the book, and there he spent 1991 and 1992. Nearly two years passed, and Obama could not produce. Draper quotes an Obama confession to confidante Valerie Jarrett in 1992: "I just can't get it down on paper. ... I'd much rather hang out with Michelle than focus on this."

Although Draper would never say so, this represented a failure of character as much as it did a failure of talent. Obama had pocketed $75,000 of that advance in exchange for the promise of a manuscript by June 15, 1992. He had more than eighteen months to complete a memoir, the easiest of all genres. It required minimal research, no footnotes, and a narrative that needed not be factual as long as it was plausible.

As a point of comparison, I was offered a contract in April 2005 to write a memoir with a deadline of September 1, 2005. In other words, I had four months to do what Obama could not do in eighteen. To complicate matters, my memoir was to be a story about growing up in the age of Muhammad Ali. So in addition to writing, I read roughly 30-40 books on boxing and related subjects during that period and watched scores of fight films and documentaries.

I set as a goal a thousand words a day, and I made the September 1 deadline. It would have helped a lot if I had ever learned to type, but to me, missing the deadline was unthinkable if for no other reason than that I, like Obama, had signed a contract and accepted an advance. Although Sucker Punch was my fourth published book, I can assure you that my advance was considerably less than that of the untested Obama.

In any case, the June 15, 1992 deadline came and went without a manuscript from Obama. As Draper blithely notes, Obama had other things on his mind, namely his impending October 3rd marriage to Michelle. On October 20, 1992, according to Draper, Poseidon terminated Obama's contract.

Andersen adds a detail that mythmaker Draper chooses to omit. Obama feared that Simon & Schuster would demand the $75,000 already advanced. Writes Andersen, "But when Barack informed them that he had spent the money -- and that he and his wife were still chipping away at their massive student loan debt -- the publisher agreed not to press the issue." In other words, Obama asked for and received an undeserved bailout. A pattern was developing here.

The tenacious agent Jane Dystel managed to find another publisher, Times Books, and secured a smaller advance of $40,000. Draper tells us that Obama used the advance "to fulfill his outstanding financial obligation to Poseidon." Andersen's take sounds more credible.

"Now he's got to produce," writes Draper. "But how?" Although the sanctuary at the University of Chicago and a previous retreat to a friend's Wisconsin farm had done no good, Obama hit upon the idea of going to Bali to unblock. (For Sucker Punch, I went to my cabin on Lake Erie).

As blogger Maguire notes, the pre-election myth, advanced by the New York Times and others, is that Michelle accompanied him. Wrote the Times on May 18, 2008, Obama "eventually retreated to Bali for several months with his wife, Michelle."

A more recent and less romantic version, advanced by Draper and by the Times as well, is that Obama went by himself. "For a month," writes Draper, "he is a lone figure pacing on the white sand and hammering on his laptop."

Andersen describes the Obamas as "drowning in debt" during this period. How either Barack or Michelle could have afforded to go to Bali during this period, for one month or three, remains something of a mystery. Mysterious too is how the media could leave unresolved such glaring contradictions in the biography of the world's most famous man.

Maguire highlights still another hole in the Draper narrative. Incredibly, in a 5,000-word article on Obama's development as a writer, Draper says nothing about what happened between early 1993, when Obama returned from Bali, to June 1995, when Dreams was published. Draper leaves the impression that the month-long Bali high was just what Obama needed to fire his synapses.

Andersen is much more credible here. As he tells it, Bali proved no more helpful than any other retreat. At Michelle's urging, the "hopelessly blocked" Obama finally turned to "friend and Hyde Park neighbor" Bill Ayers to help him.

Andersen's details are specific. The Obamas were convinced of "Ayers's proven abilities as a writer." Barack particularly liked the novelistic style of To Teach, a 1993 book by Ayers. The key sentence in Andersen's account is this: "[The Obama family] oral histories, along with his partial manuscript and a trunkload of notes were given to Ayers."

Adds Andersen, "Thanks to help from veteran writer Ayers, Barack would be able to submit a manuscript to his editors at Times Books." Based on my own research, I would argue that Ayers actually wrote the book's best sections. Obama's previous published efforts show not a wisp of the skill on display in Dreams. Not surprisingly, Draper overlooks those early efforts.

With his man-crush trumping his critical insights, Draper chooses not to relate the fate of plucky agent Dystel. That story was hard to miss. The proudly liberal but seriously disgusted publisher Peter Osnos went public three years ago. According to Osnos, Obama dumped his devoted long-time agent after Dreams took off and then signed a seven-figure deal with Crown, using only a by-the-hour attorney.

Obama pulled off the deal after his 2004 election to the U.S. Senate but before being sworn in as Senator, thus avoiding the disclosure and reporting requirements applicable to members of Congress. Osnos publicly scolded Obama for his "ruthlessness" and "his questionable judgment about using public service as a personal payday."

But that was in 2006, when Obama was a mere mortal. Today, Obama is a literary god, however false, and challenging the gods is apparently above the AP's pay grade.

Matter-eater Man #1094014 2009-11-22 4:47 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
Guess how many kids I fucked today.

You are garbage.

Fair play!
Matter-eater Man #1094015 2009-11-22 4:51 PM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
yep. broken.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

yep. broken.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Matter-eater Man argumentative User Fair Play!
7500+ posts 29 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: ABC News:Press is Liberal

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
that just happened.

Matter-eater Man #1094022 2009-11-22 5:07 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

You are garbage.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

yep. broken.

Matter-eater Man #1094031 2009-11-22 5:17 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

You are garbage.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

yep. broken.

the G-man #1094037 2009-11-22 5:21 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

You are garbage.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Matter-eater Man argumentative User Fair Play!
7500+ posts 5 seconds ago Making a new reply
Thread: Re: Press is liberal.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Zick's so broken that not ever government run health-care is going to put him back together this time. \:lol\:

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
You're the one who started the garbage attack G-man instead of focussing on the topic and a discussion based on merit.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Zick, pointing out that you have differing standards when it comes to politicans of different parties and that you seem incapable of expressing a coherent thought that you didn't cut and paste from a Soros-backed website is hardly a garbage attack.

But you already knew that. You just wanted to whine and try and change the subject because you can't justify (on any level) the idea that a major news organization would put eleven reporters on attacking Palin and only two on one of the most significant pieces of legislation since the New Deal.

the G-man #1094047 2009-11-22 6:02 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man fucker of children
Zick, pointing out that you have differing standards when it comes to politicans of different parties and that you seem incapable of expressing a coherent thought that you didn't cut and paste from a Soros-backed website is hardly a garbage attack.

But you already knew that. You just wanted to whine and try and change the subject because you can't justify (on any level) the idea that a major news organization would put eleven reporters on attacking Palin and only two on one of the most significant pieces of legislation since the New Deal.

The usual GOP talking points you regurgitate wasn't what I was referring to as a garbage attack. And I think there are actually more than 2 reporters from the AP covering health care reform. That was something Basams said but I asked where he came up with that number. Maybe he just made it up?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Zick, the thread says what it says. We can all read the post that broke you (this time).

Matter-eater Man #1094052 2009-11-22 6:10 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Still wondering what basams based his 2 reporters stat on?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

Associated Press: Senate, House Democratic health bills compared By ERICA WERNER and RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR (AP)

Two reporters listed. Unlike the eleven listed on the Palin "fact check".

In addition, please note the following (under "Accountability Journalism") from the Wall St. Journal: On a per-page basis, that is, the AP devoted 52 times as much manpower to the memoir of a former Republican officeholder as to a piece of legislation that will cost trillions of dollars and an untold number of lives. That's what they call accountability journalism.
  • Number of AP reporters assigned to story:
    • ObamaCare bills: 2
    • Palin book: 11

Number of pages in document being covered:
    • ObamaCare bills: 4,064
    • Palin book: 432

Number of pages per AP reporter:
    • ObamaCare bill: 2,032
    • Palin book: 39.3

Seems pretty clear to me...and anyone else not getting all their thinking from Media Matters.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
it just takes a little research MEM, dont rely on Media Matters for all your thoughts.

the G-man #1094063 2009-11-22 6:35 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MEM

Associated Press: Senate, House Democratic health bills compared By ERICA WERNER and RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR (AP)

In addition, please note the following (under "Accountability Journalism") from the Wall St. Journal: On a per-page basis, that is, the AP devoted 52 times as much manpower to the memoir of a former Republican officeholder as to a piece of legislation that will cost trillions of dollars and an untold number of lives. That's what they call accountability journalism.

Seems pretty clear to me...and anyone else not getting all their thinking from Media Matters.

So it's comparing two stories but the AP has done and will do more reporting on the health care reform with more than just the two reporters listed on the one that you and basams seem to think is the only article by the AP on the bills.

Fair play!
Matter-eater Man #1094067 2009-11-22 6:36 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
So now your going back to your failed time argument. There is 3 years to expose any supposed inaccuracies in Palin's book before she runs, there was a 3 day window to flesh out details of the bill. Which do you think was the better use of resources?

Irwin Schwab #1094070 2009-11-22 6:44 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
"...any supposed inaccuracies..."

You are such a partisan basams.

Health care reform is hardly a done deal so your 3 day window logic is nonsense.

Fair play!
Matter-eater Man #1094071 2009-11-22 6:46 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/partisan

1. an adherent or supporter of a person, group, party, or cause, esp. a person who shows a biased, emotional allegiance.

The same can be said about you mem.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MEM

So it's comparing two stories but the AP has done and will do more reporting on the health care reform with more than just the two reporters listed on the one that you and basams seem to think is the only article by the AP on the bills.

So the press is supposed to cover legislation more extensively after a major vote and not before?

If you really feel that way you have some weird priorities, Zick

Furthermore, neither you (Nambla Zick) or the AP can predict with certainty when a bill will pass. With that in mind, the idea that a chatty tell-all book about last year's campaign is a priority over major legislation becomes even more nonsensical.

Finally, a search of the past seven days of the AP's archive shows 51 additional stories that mention Palin. So, clearly, the AP isn't done covering her either. This further weakens your argument.

rex #1094074 2009-11-22 6:59 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex

1. an adherent or supporter of a person, group, party, or cause, esp. a person who shows a biased, emotional allegiance.

Yes it would, so you agree that basams is a partisan?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I see that Zick is trying to change the subject again.

Matter-eater Man #1094076 2009-11-22 7:04 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I replied to Rex's post.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Zick is still trying to change the subject.

He can't refute what BSAMS wrote or the news reports that show the AP put more reporters on Palin than on the healthcare bill. So he called BSAMS a partisan and is now trying to pretend that rex is the one who brought up who is or isn't a partisan.

In addition, Zick has never felt forced to respond to all of rex's posts in the past. So why would he pretend he is now?

Clearly, he's on the ropes and back to one of his longstanding tricks, namely, changing the subject and hoping people will forget what was written already on the topic.

Matter-eater Man #1094079 2009-11-22 7:18 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

Why do you keep bringing up other people? Are you really that afraid of a little self reflection? Are you really that terrified of yourself?

rex #1094080 2009-11-22 7:36 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Do you really expect an honest answer?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Nambla Zick crying User Media Matters!
7500+ posts 11/22/09 03:33 PM Making a new reply
Thread: Re: Press is liberal

rex #1094082 2009-11-22 7:38 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

Why do you keep bringing up other people? Are you really that afraid of a little self reflection? Are you really that terrified of yourself?

I'm not the one running away from the definition you posted. You however seem to be partisan for basams ;\)

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Stop flirting with rex, Zick, and stay on topic.

Matter-eater Man #1094085 2009-11-22 7:44 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
G-man wants you to stay on his talking points Rex.

Fair play!
Matter-eater Man #1094086 2009-11-22 7:45 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

I'm not the one running away from the definition you posted. You however seem to be partisan for basams ;\)

Yes you are. You are running away from yourself every time you deflect your retardation onto someone else.

rex #1094087 2009-11-22 7:52 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

Yes you are. You are running away from yourself every time you deflect your retardation onto someone else.

Nope. You posted a definition and I recognized that it applied to me. I of course also recognized that it also applied to basams and that it's something you can't discuss.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

No, I am observing that you are trying to change the subject because you know you've lost.

You're whining about BSAMS being partisan because you hope we'll forget that the Associated Press put more than five times the number of reporters on Palin's book than it did on the healthcare bill.

the G-man #1094089 2009-11-22 8:07 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

No, I am observing that you are trying to change the subject because you know you've lost.

You're whining about BSAMS being partisan because you hope we'll forget that the Associated Press put more than five times the number of reporters on Palin's book than it did on the healthcare bill.

It's a Palin talking point that pretends one story by the AP about the health care bills equals one story about her book. I think most people understand that the AP probably has more resources invested in the health care bills on a regular basis than a short term time investment it used for the Palin book. It's a classic dodge by Palin herself to distract from her actual mistakes she made in the book. She seems to be good at that as well as blaming others and quitting.

Fair play!
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard