Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...san-francisco/1

Quote:
After months of speculation, the wait is nearly over. All eyes will be fixed on Apple CEO Steve Jobs as he appears on stage at San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts to announce what most everyone presumes will be an Apple Tablet.

USA TODAY is at Apple's own state of the union, which starts at 1 p.m. ET. We'll set the scene and let you know throughout the event just what Jobs announces - and what it all means.

Among those spotted in the crowd: former vice president Al Gore and Intuit co-founder Scott Cook.

1:06 p.m. ET: Apple CEO Steve Jobs has just taken the stage wearing his customary black turtleneck and blue jeans. Jobs says the company just sold its 250 millionth iPod, while Apple stores have welcomed 50 million visitors in the last quarter.

1:12 p.m. ET: It's official. Jobs unveils the very thin iPad tablet computer. Jobs claims it will offer the best browsing experience you can have, like "holding the Internet in your hands."

1:14 p.m.: The device will include e-mail, photos, maps, built-in iTunes store and YouTube functionality.

1:16 p.m.: Jobs is demonstrating the iPad, visiting the home pages of The New York Times, Time Magazine and Fandango.

1:20 p.m.: Jobs offers a quick view of e-mail before moving onto photos. Photos looks a lot like the iPhoto app on the Mac. You can switch the device from portrait to landscape view. Users can also look at photo as albums. If on a Mac, users can get events, places and faces, as well as flick left or right through photos.

1:23 p.m.: Jobs is showing a slideshow of Paris on the iPad. Nice effects. As for managing your music, you can scroll through albums, tap on something you like to play a song. The device will include the iTunes store built in. No word on storage for the device or if Jobs is playing music from the "cloud" or the device itself.

1:28 p.m.: Jobs moves on to the calendar. Users can drag their finger over events to get a weekly or daily view. The Contacts application looks sharp. Jobs transitions to the Maps app. Viewing the Eiffel Tower, Jobs taps a corner to go to satellite view. Users can pinch the image to move in close.

Jobs moves from the Eiffel Tower to the event's current location in San Francisco. He types in sushi using the iPad's virtual keyboard and finds nearby sushi places, including up-close pictures of a local sushi restaunt called Sushi Boat. Jobs now shows off YouTube video, playing an HD video of a surfing dog. Looks surprisingly nice.

1:33 p.m.: "Watching it is nothing like getting one in your hands," Jobs says, before moving on to the iPad's technical specs. The device is 0.5 inches thin and weights 1.5 pounds, thinner and lighter than any netbook. It has a 9.7-inch IPS (high quality) display and full capacity multi-touch screen. The device is powered by Apple's own custom silicon chip.

The iPad will be available with 16 GB, 32 GB or 64 GB of Flash storage. It will also include Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a speaker, microphone, compass and 30-pin connector to plug into iPod accessories.

As for battery life, Jobs says it last up to 10 hours. You always have to take battery claims with a grain of salt, but if that is close to being true, that is a big deal.

1:37 p.m.: Scott Forstall, senior vice president of iPhone software takes the stage to talk about the App Store. He says there are currently 140,000 apps on the store. "We built iPad to run virtually every one of these apps right out of the box," Forstall says.

1:40 p.m.: The apps will automatically scale up full screen when you tap "2x". Forstall is launching ESPN X Games SnoCross, an arcade racing game. Looks good. Users steer with the accelerometer. It looks surprinslgy smooth during the demonstration.

Users can hook the iPad up to iTunes and download apps they already have and they're good to go. Forstall says a developer that spends time modfiying applications can take full advantage of the touch screen display.

Apple has also enhanced the iPhone SDK (developers' kit), so developers can go to apple.com today to download. The SDK includes an iPod simulator, so developers can run iPad apps right on Mac during development. Every iPad will have access to the App Store built in.

1:45 p.m.: Mark Hickey of Gameloft appears on stage to demonstrate the iPad's gameplay mechanics with shooter Nova. Next up is Martin Nisenholtz of The New York Times, a long rumored partner), who says the device is the best of print with the best of digital all rolled into one.

From the front page (with condensed story views), you can click on stories - all in color - and sections, and save articles for reading lists that sync to the iPhone. Users can also tap to change the number of columns and resize text with a pinch, and there's video too.

In my opinion, it dominates the experience of reading a newspaper on a Kindle by a country mile. Still waiting on a price though.

1:55 p.m.: Steve Sprang appears next to show off the painting app Brushes. He's showing a gallery of New Yorker covers and other pantings. It looks cool. You can drag your finger across the screen to paint, and tap a play button to see a replay of your actions.

Next up is another rumored iPad partner, Electronic Arts, the top worldwide publisher of mobile games. Travis Boatman of EA shows off the Need For Speed racing game. Users can tap on a mirror to see what's behind you. Boatman is really cranking up the speeds on the game to show off the impressive technical capabilities.

Chad Evans of MLB.com, the official website of Major League Baseball, arrives on stage next to demonstrate their popular sports app. On the field, there's a game day pitch tracker to show the trajectory of every pitch thrown. Users can summon a baseball card for the player who is up at bat, and there's video from real games. Users can also view the box score, field, summary, field dimensions and lineup. You can watch games live with your choice of home or away announcers.

1:59 p.m.: Jobs is now demonstrating the iPad's e-reader, perusing a book on the iPad using a new app called iBooks. You can go into portrait view to see both pages if you like. The app will also include access to a store, where users can download e-books right on the iPad. Books are sorted by Apple's top charts list, The New York Times best seller list. Five of the world's publishers in the world, including Penguin and HarperCollins, will sell their books through the app. Navigating iBooks works similarly to iTunes and the App Store.

2:05 p.m.: Users can flip pages forward or back by tapping the screen, or drag pages with your finger. The app can display photos in color or black-and-white, as well as display video. Like Amazon's Kindle, you can change the font size. Users can also change the font itself.

2:16 p.m.: Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of marketing, comes up on stage to talk iWork, the suite of business apps for the Mac (spreadsheet and presentations, word processing). The iPad version will include a completely new version of Keynote (presenter), a new version of the Pages word processor, and a new version of the Numbers spreadsheet program.

Schiller demonstrates Keynote, which runs in landscape orientation. You can move slides around by holding and dragging it to wherever you want. Using multi-touch gestures, you can move a bunch of slides around. It has spendid looking animation transitions.

Moving onto Pages, users can turn it horizontal for a larger virtual keyboard. The sofware will have automatic text wrap around graphics. Schiller drags a picture of a giraffe to demonstrate how text wraps around the image. Neat stuff. With one tap, users can change from a one-column format to two columns.

The Numbers spreadsheet will add a host of templates, such as text, photos and tables. It can also bring up diff keyboards, such as text or a time-and-date keyboard. Over 250 functions and formulas are built into Numbers.

Schiller says each app will be available on the App Store for $9.99.

2:20 p.m.: Jobs returns with more details on the iPad. It can sync over USB with iTunes running on your Mac or PC, exactly like the iPhone or iPod Touch. So when you sync, you sync everything, and backups are synced back if you ever lose it.

Every iPad has WiFi built in, but there will also be models with 3G cellular wireless data. The iPad will feature two plans: up to 250MB of data per month for $14.99, or $29.99 per month for unlimited data through AT&T. The carrier is also throwing in free use of WiFi hotspots throughout the U.S., and will not require a wireless contract.

2:24 p.m.: Jobs says prices for the iPad will start at $499 for the 16GB, $599 for the 32GB and $699 for the 64GB. Prices for iPad with 3G technology will go for $629, $729 and $829 respectively. "When we set out, we not only had ambitious technical goals, but we had a very aggressive price (in mind)," Jobs says. "We wanted to put this in the hands of lots of people." Accessories will also be available for the device, including cases and a keyboard dock.

2:35 p.m.: Jobs concludes the event by saying the iPad "is our most advanced technology in a magical and revolutionary device at an unbelievable price. The reason that Apple is able to create products like iPad is because we always try to be at the intersection of technology and liberal arts, to be able to get the best of both."

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
I think the $499 entry price point may make this thing huge.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
I worry about the proprietary processor though. dont new processors historically have major problems?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
it'll depend on how much commonality there is between its architecture and previous chips. there is seldom a truly "new" processor; usually the problems come when components retained from other processors are pushed to their limit or subjected to functions for which they weren't originally designed.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hey Sammitch

Shut the fuck up

Cunt!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Five hundred? that's a lot lower than I expected. The first iphone was six hundred. I'm fully for this. I want this to take over the ebook and ecomic business. I want all of that mainstream.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I don't want it to be from Apple because apple fanboys are annoying.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts

it looks like a comedic novelty iphone.

giant picture
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
so youre getting one?

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts

giant picture
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen

Jim Jackson?

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
so youre getting one?

i honestly don't see the need for them. not just the apple version, but any. it can do more than a smartphone, but its too big for your pocket. it can't do as much as a laptop, but its roughly the same size...

the price point and feature set is great for this genre of products, but i don't see how i could justify getting one.

giant picture
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
because it looks neato?

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
hm. touche.

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts

weee!

giant picture
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
I'm seriously thinking of buying one for the kids. They mainly web surf and listen to music with the laptop. it will save me wear and tear on the laptop and give em something neato to show their friends.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts

weee!

$499? sign me up!

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
I'm seriously thinking of buying one for the kids. They mainly web surf and listen to music with the laptop. it will save me wear and tear on the laptop and give em something neato to show their friends.

i guess that's a good usage, positioning the itab as like a mini home computer, at half (or third) the price of a laptop. it'll be slick and intuitive enough.

prior to this, would you have considered getting them an inappropriately named itouch?

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts

giant picture
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts

$599!

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts

i guess that's a good usage, positioning the itab as like a mini home computer, at half (or third) the price of a laptop. it'll be slick and intuitive enough.

prior to this, would you have considered getting them an inappropriately named itouch?

the itouch is too small for me to spend that much $ on one. kids from time to time lose/drop/drown small electronic items. i've bought numerous mp3 players over the years. but for some reason larger items like the laptop, xbox, the house, they seem to take good care of.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Google 12 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Games and Tech
Thread: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet

you stay out of this!

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
btw my only hesitation is the interface and fonts. i was running a laptop with Ubuntu and i just could never get over the layout being un windows and the fonts not being windows.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
im not only a life long windows guy, but also very anti mac (other than my snafily beloved apple II e). however, the iphone interface took less than 5 minutes to fall in love with (and/or stand to applaud at). it's incredibly simple and intuitive in all regards. i imagine the experience with the itab wouldn't be much different; contrary to what you know, but easily accessible.

giant picture
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
thats my hope from people that i know with igadgetry they say they like it. also since it will be mostly for the kids they are growing up in this generation of gadgets so they likely are in tune with it already.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
your kids already own the itab, and the itab 2.0!

giant picture
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Those industrious foreigners, adding another 13 months to the year.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Now listen to me goddammit because I'll only say it once: day/month/year makes more sense.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
but for some reason larger items like the laptop, xbox, the house, they seem to take good care of.

I once dropped the house into the toilet as a kid and my parents suspended me from lunchtime for a week.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
FUCK YOU, DAD.

"Youtubie"
1000+ posts
"Youtubie"
1000+ posts

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
Now listen to me goddammit because I'll only say it once: day/month/year makes more sense.

How?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

Are Laptops really that expensive over there?
They used to be here, but they dropped in price big time a few years ago, to the point that most mobile phone companies will now give them away free if you sign up for their mobile internet.

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Still no flash support...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Thats shit.
My Archos MP3 player, which is also an internet tablet, has flash support, so I can play flash videos and flash games on it.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

How?

Day < Month < Year

Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
FUCK YOU, DAD.

I'm suspending you from fucking men for a month.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

How?

Day < Month < Year

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
I actually like Year Month Day. For filing purposes it makes it easier to figure out when somethng happened in traffic court

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Only cause the year you was born would be the lowest number.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Glacier16
Still no flash support...

Is that a definite thing? I heard they want this to be able to play facebook games so it would have to have flash support. There's a new version out made for devices like this. I don't know why it wouldn't be included.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard