Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
rex #1117230 2010-05-22 3:48 PM
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Something that has been bothering me about LOST lately is that they keep saying the state of the entire world hangs in the balance of what goes on with these handful of people and the island.

Yet they never show or imply what kind of effect the destruction of the island has for anybody or anything besides said handful of people.

Also, will we find out how Jacob and Smokey relate to the group setting off that nuke in 77 and what this has to do with time, constants, and Faraday's experiments?

Those things really seemed important last season.

Can I still blame Jeph Loeb for this shit?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yes. His taint is forever.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
The only thing I really want to see is who Juliet and Sawyer shot on the canoe when they were jumping through time.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #1117281 2010-05-23 3:08 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Watching the pilot before the end.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Heh... I almost forgot about You All Everybody.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I watched it last night. Kate was so much hotter during season one.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Key questions remaining for "Lost" finale
  • * Why is Desmond the failsafe? The recent episode entitled "What They Died For" saw Charles Whidmore reveal to Locke that Desmond was a "failsafe," or the last chance to keep The Man in Black on the Island should the remaining candidates fail to kill Locke.

* Why can't women give birth on the island and why was the Dharma Initiative studying the problem? Claire managed to give birth to Aaron, and Jacob and his brother were both born there. But the question of why so many other women couldn't give birth on the island remains unanswered.

* What is the mysterious white light encased in the island? Season No. 6 revealed Jacob's adoptive mother was the protector of the light before she charged him with the duty. Will fans learn what the powerful white light is and why it turned The Man in Black into the smoke monster?

* Perhaps the biggest question is the origin of the mysterious tropical paradise and how did characters like Charles Whidmore find out about it? And why was the island shown to be submerged at the beginning of season No. 6?

* Who is Jack's ex-wife in the sideways alternate reality? Key characters have come together in a myriad of ways in the parallel reality, but it has yet to be revealed who Jack's ex-wife is. Will Juliette make an appearance or will it be a more obscure character like Shannon?

* What happened to characters like Claire, Richard and Miles? Claire was last seen with Locke, right before the submarine exploded. Was Richard killed by the smoke monster at the Dharma compound? Will Miles reunite with Jack, Kate, Hurley and the other submarine survivors?

* What will happen when all of the key players in the sideways alternate timeline come together at the concert? Between running over Locke and beating up Ben, Desmond has been on a mission to get passengers of Oceanic 815 together again in the sideways reality.

Still so many questions
  • * Ben Linus killed everybody in the Dharma Initiative in 1992, 12 years before Oceanic 815 went down. Is there a giant “Raiders”-size warehouse full of Dharma groceries, or were palettes coming down near the barracks as well? Is someone still manufacturing these Dharma groceries, and why were those groceries still getting delivered to Swan Station in 2004? Who is doing the delivering? What became of Dharma founders Gerald and Karen DeGroot? What became of Dharma financier Alvar Hanso, ancestor of Black Rock captain Magnus Hanso? Was Dharma’s Ann Arbor HQ demolished, or is it now an Ikea?

* Of all the many, many identities Ben Linus could assume when he met the 815 survivors, why did he choose Henry Gale, a dead black man with a photo ID that could prove Linus a liar?

* Did Jacob keep Michael from killing himself back in New York? Did the island? Did Jacob and/or the island want Michael to die in a freighter explosion? If so, why?

* Why is the island so anti-baby? Is it important that all of Jacob’s followers be imports? Does the island even like Jacob having followers hanging around? How come the island healed Rose and John but not Jacob’s follower Ben?

* Why did Jacob and/or the island send some of the Ajira passengers back to 1977 but not others?

* Why did Mom speak Latin? Was she from Ancient Italy? The text commentary on the pilot aired Saturday night indicated Jacob was born more than 2,000 years ago. How might she (or some other speaker of Latin) have found her way to a South Pacific island more than a thousand years before the birth of Marco Polo?

* Why a giant statue of an Egyptian goddess?

* How did Ben know the Frozen Donkey wheel wouldn’t deposit him in the middle of the Arctic Ocean? Did Richard Alpert tell him? If so, when did Richard find out? Has the wheel been used to move people on the island through time and space before?

* Did Jacob lure the Black Rock to the island? Why didn’t he just pick Richard to take his place 150 years ago? Why wasn’t Ilana a good choice to take over?

* With so much at stake, why didn’t Jacob run away when Ben showed up with a giant knife at the end of last season? Wouldn’t it make more sense for Jacob to try to hold Ben off until he could name a replacement?

Some good questions there. Some stupid ones too. I'm just throwing them out to see how many might get answered tonight.

According to this site, some that will be answered are:

• * What were polar bears doing on the island?
    * Why can’t healthy babies be born on the island?
    * Why does Walt continue to be relevant?

About four hours to go (if you include the recap special).

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Looks like spoilers are going up in as many comment sections as possible. I've been told to avoid youtube all day.

rex #1117298 2010-05-23 6:49 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'd been getting my spoilers from Dark UFO. They had promised some today but then reneged (probably after getting a call from ABC).

few posts
few posts
Six Years Of 'Lost' Time? Fans Brace For The Finale

Stick your head out the window on Sunday night and listen carefully — you may hear the collective cheer (or groan) of millions of Lost fans watching the ABC series' finale. Fans are nervous that six years of obsessively watching the science-fiction thriller have all been in vain.

"I will be disappointed if it's not a roller coaster ride," says Alex Green, who is taking part in an intense Lost-a-thon on the streets of Manhattan. (He and his buddies are watching all 120 episodes of the show ... in four days.)

Watching episode after episode, Green has gotten used to roller coaster plots. Like every fan, he's a little queasy from six years of twists and turns and time travel loops that have made Lost into a nerdy thrill ride. So how will it finally end?

That's been the big challenge for every storywriter since humans first put pen to paper. How do you do "happily ever after" in a way that feels original and satisfying?

Aristotle wrote that a proper ending is one that naturally follows some other thing, but has nothing following it. Aristotle would have loved (spoiler alert!) the fade to black at the end of The Sopranos.

"Some of the most famous works of literature, like the Iliad for instance, just end in the middle of things," says Marianna Torgovnick, an English professor at Duke.

From 'Monkey See':

Here's Why I'm Not Approaching The 'Lost' Finale With A List Of Demands
Torgovnick wrote a book called Closure in the Novel about how literature wraps things up. In the 19th and 20th centuries, authors preferred that something life-altering occur at the end of a narrative.

"The big three are the death of the character, the marriage of the character, or the character moving on to a different place or locale," Torgovnick says.

Barring a "bloodbath" or "very special wedding of Kate and Sawyer" a pleasing literary Lost ending almost demands that some folks finally get off that dang island.

But Time magazine's TV critic James Poniewozik says a sci-fi mystery show like Lost has to jump over a higher bar than a sitcom or character drama — with Lost, it's not just about catharsis for fans.

"They are looking at [the ending] to be the answer to the puzzle," Poniewozik says. "It's supposed to be the thing, the key that makes the other 120 hours spent watching this series worth it or not."

That's some serious pressure for a television writer. At Professor Thom's, a bar in Manhattan, hundreds of people gather each week to watch Lost. You can tell they are sharpening the pitchforks in case the ending is a failure. Ariel Gonzales says he has his personal pride on the line.

"I have a buddy at work who has been telling me for the last six or seven weeks that it's all a big waste of time." Gonzales says. "Nothing is going to get answered and it's just going to be a waste of six years."

He's not alone. Most of the Lost fans in the bar have serious fears about what the ending might be: the whole thing was a dream ... or all the characters get killed off ... or it turns out they are actually in hell ... all unsatisfactory, cop-out endings, fans say.

The producers of Lost, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, just say wait and see. They've been working toward this ending for years now, and they point out that one of the themes of the show is the power of faith. Then again, another theme of Lost is deception and con artists. So take your pick.

Perhaps the only clue is a not-so-veiled message they sent to fans in the next-to-last episode: "Every question I answer will just lead to another question," said the mysterious, matronly character played by Allison Janney.

We've been warned.

The X #1117340 2010-05-23 11:19 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I'm suing you over that username. Cease and desist.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Shit.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I await the first assholes who come here to tell themselves they liked it.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
THERE WAS LITERALLY A CORK!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
You're wrong, it was awesome. That last shot raises some questions, though...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
They gave you nothing.

They explained the flash sideways, that's it.

If that was Heaven Helen would have picked up John from the airport.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
And to answer your question about the last shot, there was only one set of footprints during the tough times because that's when Jacob carried you.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
You're wrong, it was awesome.

It was pretty damn good. Sorry that Jaburg can't understand what happened even though Jack's dad explained it about as clear as anyone could short of pop up video titles.

Jack died.

His father explained that everyone there was dead but that they had lived for, sometimes, years or decades after the events of the island. The whole Christian Shephard telling you straight up--"It's all real. Some died before you, some died long after you" i.e. (Boone, Shannon, Sun, Jin, etc) and then Hurley, Kate, Sawyer, Desmond, Ben, etc. The island was the reality, the flash sideways was whatever you want to call it--Heaven, purgatory, after life. Everyone eventually ended up there because there is no recognition of time.

(Case in point: Kate missed Jack [implying they'd been apart for years]; Hurley told Ben he was an awesome sidekick [implying they'd been guarding the island for years after that]).

Ben wasn't dead yet because, like Richard before him, he wasn't aging. So he stayed outside.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
You're wrong, it was awesome.

It was pretty damn good. Sorry that Jaburg can't understand what happened even though Jack's dad explained it about as clear as anyone could short of pop up video titles.

Jack died.

His father explained that everyone there was dead but that they had lived for, sometimes, years or decades after the events of the island. The whole Christian Shephard telling you straight up--"It's all real. Some died before you, some died long after you" i.e. (Boone, Shannon, Sun, Jin, etc) and then Hurley, Kate, Sawyer, Desmond, Ben, etc. The island was the reality, the flash sideways was whatever you want to call it--Heaven, purgatory, after life. Everyone eventually ended up there because there is no recognition of time.

(Case in point: Kate missed Jack [implying they'd been apart for years]; Hurley told Ben he was an awesome sidekick [implying they'd been guarding the island for years after that]).

Ben wasn't dead yet because, like Richard before him, he wasn't aging. So he stayed outside.

Oh, and Matthew Fox is on Kimmell right now, more or less confirming the above.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Actually I think Ben was dead too but like Anna Lucia he just wasn't ready.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I understood it.

Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean I misunderstood.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I guess anybody with a different opinion just isn't as smart as you, G-Man?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
I understood it.

You said they didn't explain anything when they clearly did. Jack's dad more or less spelled the ending out.

Therefore, you misunderstood.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
NO, G, he means they still didn't explain the whole Island thing...what the fuck was it?
Atlantis? What?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I understood it.

You said they didn't explain anything when they clearly did. Jack's dad more or less spelled the ending out.

The other reality.

Not Heaven, what was supposed to have been reality.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The ending to that was like a bad video game.

Pull the cork and the smoke monster is completely mortal, then you have to kill him and put the cork back before the island falls apart.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i very much liked the ending. i thought it was extremely well done. great story, great way to end things; neatly, i might add.

what it was not was an answer to so many of the left over questions. i think i got what i needed out of it; focusing on the characters, which was always more important than the mysteries at the core of the show. i certainly wanted to get s'more friggin info out of the show. like, what were walt's super powers, were did jacob's mom come from, how come smokey never got a name, who built that giant statue, clarification on the numbers, etc, etc... but, in the end (literally and figuratively) it didn't much matter.

the story was good, the characters had conflicts and resolutions... that's all that was needed.

giant picture
Rob #1117375 2010-05-24 5:33 AM
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Holy fuck was that horrible. I already played Final fantasy 8. I didn't need to see it again. This should have been on the PAX network.

They should have ended it last year.

rex #1117376 2010-05-24 5:34 AM
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Season six is the prequel trilogy and Spider-Man 3. It sucked so bad it made everything before it worse.

rex #1117377 2010-05-24 5:42 AM
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
This season they took us far back in time to when no one gave a shit about what was happening. The finale took us so far into the future that no one gave a shit about what was going on.

rex #1117378 2010-05-24 5:45 AM
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
I was disappointed the didn't explain the statue and the numbers,but overall I enjoyed the show and the ending.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
It was a good ending.

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Jimmy Kimmel stole my idea.

Rob #1117381 2010-05-24 7:44 AM
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
focusing on the characters, which was always more important than the mysteries at the core of the show.

this

well said gobert.

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Rob #1117384 2010-05-24 1:10 PM
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
what were walt's super powers

according to the intraweb Q&A from jimmy kimmel, that and more could be answered in the upcoming blu-ray, which conveniently hits stores on my birthday, *wink wink*

here's the full 10+ minute segment. nothing really worth watching for, unless you just like wasting time at work with your pals from lost

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I understood it.

The other reality.

Not Heaven, what was supposed to have been reality.

Fair enough.

I have to say, the more I think about the ending, the more it falls apart from a logical and thematic basis.

I liked it, I was entertained while watching it, and it was a pretty good ending given the cluster-fuck that Season Six turned into. There were some good character moments (Jack telling Unlocke off; Miles, Richard and Lapidius; Hurley and Desmond on Earth 2).

And Evangeline Lily in that black cocktail dress was almost worth the two hours watching.

However, as entertaining as parts of it was, it really only confirmed what I've been saying for a while now about them clearly having made things up as they went along. They painted themselves in a corner and gave us the ending of "the Sixth Sense" with a dollop of the original "Life on Mars."

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
it really only confirmed what I've been saying for a while now about them clearly having made things up as they went along

...despite always being told and shown otherwise?

what about the finale made you think they couldn't have had that (mostly) scripted a few years earlier?

giant picture
Rob #1117389 2010-05-24 2:31 PM
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts

giant picture
Rob #1117390 2010-05-24 2:35 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
it really only confirmed what I've been saying for a while now about them clearly having made things up as they went along

...despite always being told and shown otherwise?

Yes, I realize that producers have claimed they always had the end game in place. And I'm willing to concede that, early on, they decided Jack was going to be dead and not know it. After all, they wanted to kill him in the first ep.

But clearly, because so many fans were guessing answers along the lines of "they're all dead and in purgatory" from the beginning (also, they couldn't very well admit they'd decided to rip off "Life on Mars"), the producers kept throwing in red herrings and issuing denials.

So they tossed in other stuff as they went along that wasn't consistent with either the planned finale or other plot points in the series. Ironically, this resulted in setting up a really good potential "sci fi" style series (and ending).

But, rather than give us that, they really, really, wanted to do the "Jack is Bruce Willis in the Sixth Sense." So they reversed course in the final season, put us back squarely in the "it's magic and they're all dead" category and pretended that everything added up.

Case in point:

1. There was a scene of the Island UNDER WATER at the beginning of season 6. Why would this exist in purgatory?
2. The bomb detonated at the end of season 5. If there was no timesplit, then the actual reality would simply have seen the detonation of the bomb. All characters dead; end of series.
3. Juliet confirms that "it worked" meaning the bomb exploded and an alternate reality was created.
4. Desmond saw bits of the alternate reality. His 'power' was time travel, not seeing dead people. Miles, if anyone, should have been involved if that was the intended ending. In fact, why did Miles have the power and then never have it come into play except for (a) the diamonds; (b) realizing ben killed Jacob?
5. Sayid had a fling with Shannon. He spent his life pining after Nadia. The writers told us over and over she was his true love. Then, in the final season, we're led to be believe it was really Shannon all along?
6. In a similar vein, if being with your true love allows you to remember and pass on, then Rose and Bernard should have been long gone (or at least far more aware of the fact they were dead then we led to believe).
7. Why are there new characters in "heaven" reality? You're not gonna convince me that Jack's kid was just another creation of fantasy, but apparently that's what the show would have us believe: that all the new characters are red herring "filler" for an alternate reality.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Nah, you're wrong. Robert is right. The show has never been about the island and the scifi elements. It's about the characters. And the entire point of the story, for me, was that no matter how much we strive and thrive and whine and bitch, no one will ever understand the mysteries of life or why we're here (the island). Given that is a fact, then the most important thing is to enjoy the people around us that make up our life (the Losties).

So, all the "questions" were fun, but not really relevant to the point of the series. And, save Walt himself, all the answers to the other questions have variously been hinted at or acknowledged throughout the run of the show.

Great ending. I've never felt more satisfied over the ending of a show. This blows BSG's ending out of the water...

Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard