As I recall, about four years ago, you suggested that CJ get an Escape because they got better gas mileage than an Explorer. I didn't attack you for that suggestion, but asked you a question based on my earlier consideration of the model, to wit:

Originally Posted By: rex

If you want to get a SUV I would recommend the Ford Escape. It has plenty of room, tons of power for a V6 and is inexpensive for an SUV. The gas mileage won't be as good as a car but it has better mileage than the Explorer and other larger SUVs.

Originally Posted By: the G-man

Are you sure about that?

I looked at getting an Escape back in 2004 and the EPA estimates weren't much better than the larger (and more comfortable) Explorer, only about a 3-4 mpg difference.

If that's still the case, unless someone is driving a lot of miles per day they might as well go for the more comfortable car, especially given all the rebates and special offers that Ford is throwing at people willing to buy an Explorer.

I then went on to suggest to CJ:

Originally Posted By: the G-man

My advice is simple, CJ: you're young, you're single, you got some money: BUY A FUN, IMPRACTICAL CAR, PREFERABLY A CONVERTABLE, WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

There's plenty of time for SUVs, sedans and hardtops once you're married and have kids. Now's the time to have some fun.

That seems less like an attack and more like a respectful conversation.

Also, the Escape was redesigned in 2008 (ie, about two years after our discussion). As such, we aren't talking about the same car now as we were four years ago. The new one drove a lot nicer and had better gas mileage than the one we were talking about four years ago.

Either way, I'm sorry if you took our previous exchange as an attack, insofar as that was not at all my intent.