I don't see Moff taking it backwards. All I see is he seems to be trying to get away from RTD's "I love Earth and humans and The Doctor is Jesus" motif. The show is now pretty much exactly how I could have pictured it coming back in 2005. However, in RTD's defense, I doubt Moff could get away with the certainty of the series, budget, and all that if it weren't for the P.T. Barnum-esque "legend" that RTD surrounded the concept with. He added a grandiose respect for the concept that no writer has done before. That said, I'm glad he's gone, and I think Moffat will be taking it forward now. I think his goal is to add new places, creatures, and ideas to Doctor Who, rather than dipping backwards into old enemies and concepts. And, judging by the old enemies he's brought back (Silurians, Daleks, and the gang at the Pandorica) versus all the new crazy stuff he's added (Weeping Angels, The Silence, River Song, etc.) I would say the quality falls into the latter grouping.

BUT....let me say one thing: In the trailer for this season, there is a two-second clip of Amy and Rory in Ten/Nine's Coral-themed console room.......