Originally Posted By: rex

Quote:
Paolo Rivera debuts Retro Captain America movie poster
By Jordan Blanco on Jun 11th 2011 9:24 PM | 0 comments

Earlier today, comic book painter Paolo Rivera (Spider-Man) unveiled his Retro Captain America poster that will debut tomorrow at the Hero Complex Film Festival in Hollywood. The poster features an iconic shot of Cap punching Hitler that graced the original first issue of Captain America Comics in 1942 (and a rumored scene in the film) along with renderings of the cast. Rivera explained what it was like making the poster on his blog:

I'm taking a break from my blog break today to finally reveal my secret project from the beginning of the year! Late last year, I had asked Marvel if they would consider a painted approach for any of their upcoming movies. To prove I was up to the task, I did a Captain America poster "on spec" (which was later used as the cover to a movie tie-in comic). As it turned out, the job was already taken, but they liked my work well enough to commission a "vintage" poster that would be given as a gift to the entire cast and crew.

The prints, limited to 100 or so, were reproduced at actual size. Even Stan Lee got one! I was given access to a vast collection of production stills—each emblazoned with a watermark pattern of my name—from which I selected my favorites. All of the lettering is hand-drawn, with the exception of the small credits at the top and bottom (I ran out of steam). While I did some post-production work in Photoshop, the original looks more or less like what you see here. You'll have to wait until I finish Daredevil #3 before I share some of the behind-the-scenes material, but the "Hitler getting punched" reference will be well worth the wait.

I couldn't be more excited to finally share this with everyone and I can't wait to see the movie, which comes out next month. And before I get back to drawing Daredevil, I'd also like to thank Stephen Broussard, Kevin Feige, Joe Quesada, and Tom Glinkowski for giving me the opportunity and facilitating the entire process. This was the first time I pursued a project at Marvel of my own volition (as opposed to being offered one) and I was very happy with the results. Makes me want to try out a new other ideas... but that will have to wait for now.

Maybe if you're lucky enough, you'll win one tomorrow if you're attending the festival in Hollywood. They'll be given away during the screening of the brand new Captain America: The First Avenger trailer in the afternoon.

Captain America: The First Avenger opens in theaters on July 22nd, 2011 starring Chris Evans, Hayley Atwell, Hugo Weaving, Sebastian Stan, Samuel L. Jackson, Dominic Cooper, Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci, Neal McDonough, Derek Luke and Toby Jones. The Joe Johnston directed film will arrive in both 2D and 3D formats.

I see you found it! Nice!