Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
I think it's required that we can't agree on stuff G-man ;\) , so I will point out that Byrne did have some good stuff after that. Particullary some limited series like Generations for DC and the one for Marvel that documented the superheroes that appeared before the Fantastic Four. However I concede that for the most part there was a big drop in quality.

As for Shooter, can't help but to admire the guy's talent and hard work. I think he came dang close to making a bunch of obscure Gold Key characters as big as some of the Marvel and DC properties. It was also a treat seeing him back writing the Legion again too. If one of the big two was smart enough they should offer the guy a line of books and let him run with it.

I have to agree. A guy who (in 1965) studied what he considered superior writing techniques for several months in the competing Marvel comics, then submitted work in that style to DC, and began working professionally writing the Legion series in ADVENTURE COMICS and other Superman titles for editor Mort Weisinger when Shooter was still only 13 years old. That alone is amazing.

Then to work again for DC and Marvel in the 1970s, write popular runs of SUPERBOY/LEGION, AVENGERS and other titles, then manage Marvel so well from 1978-1987.
And then to repeat the magic at Valiant.
And then repeat it again at Defiant...

This is not a guy who like Bob Kane or Stan Lee has ridden on others' coat-tails and stolen the glory. This is a guy who has repeatedly done the hard work and delivered the goods.

But when you look at how he was similarly leveraged out of Valiant/Acclaim and Defiant, it does manifest a certain pattern of resentment for his personal style, despite his clear talent.