Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 30 31
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
No one else has posted about this here, and I hesitate to do it myself, because it is such a racially charged case.

I think there's no question that Zimmerman, this self-appointed neighborhood watch guy, provoked the situation. He called 911, and the dispatcher told Zimmerman not to follow Martin. But he did, and whatever happened after, I think it can be argued he provoked the situation.

After the police got involved, it's a mystery to me why Zimmerman was not arrested. Clearly, even if Martin attacked Zimmerman as alleged, Zimmerman still initiated the situation by following Martin, which ended up getting Martin killed. (Although in fairness to the police, maybe they wanted to arrest him, but just did not have the evidence to justify an arrest. Although at the very least, I think they should have held Zimmerman several hours or overnight, and grilled him intensely about precisely what happened, that resulted in him shooting Martin dead.)

Martin had no criminal record, and was not known to ever provoke a fight.

I hear that dispatch call, and I see Zimmerman as the aggressor. That his actions resulted, with no logical expanation, in Martin ending up dead, I don't think he should be free.
And the fact that the police let him go should warrant plenty of investigation.

The other part that bothers me is how the (liberal) media is whipping up a frenzy about the racial angle of this, before any investigation makes a case for that.
Pending any further evidence to the contrary, it's a random absurdity, set in motion by one lone 28-year-old self-appointed vigilante nut. It isn't representative of some alleged rampant white racism nationwide. It's one random incident, the first in many years.

But already you have Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson out there tossing kerosene on the fire. And now Obama too.

And as I've pointed out in previous topics, if it was a black guy who shot a white kid, the crime would be just as serious, but the nationwide media would be nowhere to be found.
This single random incident fits the ongoing media-favored liberal narrative of a black kid being lynched by a white racist (half-white half-hispanic, but I doubt a majority of coverage will detail that), and that's why it's getting coverage.

And as I've pointed out in prior topics, U.S. Justice Department statistics show black-on-white crime occurs at a rate of 50-to-1 of the reverse. Even though the media consistently buries this reality, and portrays victimization to be the exact reverse.

It reminds me of the Rodney King case in 1992. Where a jury acquitted four white officers of Rodney King's beating, and many of the same loud and exploitative pundits (Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Maxine Waters) whipped up a riot in L.A. with their rhetoric, that without heated rhetoric should not have occurred.
How many people have even heard of Robert Jewett of West Palm Beach, who was white, and was pulled over, with no criminal record and despite no clear motivation, was beaten to death by the two cops? And the cops were similarly exonerated of all charges. But that's not news. Because Jewett was white. It doesn't fit the media's racism narrative.

This isn't about race, it's a random absurdity. But I fear the same media and pundits are rushing to make it as racial as possible, to fit the narrative of their own ideology, and for their own personal and political gain.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Sanford Police Chief Steps Down Amid Outrage Over Shooting Death of Trayvon Martin

Quote:
SANFORD, Fla. – The police chief and prosecutor who have been bitterly criticized for not arresting a neighborhood watch volunteer in the shooting death of an unarmed black teenager both left the case Thursday, with the chief saying that he is temporarily leaving his job to let passions cool.

Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee's decision came less than a day after city commissioners gave him a "no confidence" vote, and after a couple of weeks of protests and uproar on social media websites. Lee has said evidence in the case supported George Zimmerman's claim that the Feb. 26 shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was self-defense.

"I do this in the hopes of restoring some semblance of calm to a city which has been in turmoil for several weeks," Lee said.

About three hours later, Gov. Rick Scott announced that the local state attorney, Norman Wolfinger, had recused himself from the case. In a letter to Scott, Wolfinger said that while he thought he could fairly oversee any prosecution that develops in the case, his recusal was aimed at "toning down the rhetoric and preserving the integrity of the investigation."
[Governor] Scott appointed Angela B. Corey, the state attorney for the Jacksonville area, to take over the case.

Scott also appointed a task force led by Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll to conduct he News of the police chief's decision to step aside spread quickly among the protesters, many of whom showed up more than two hours before the start of the rally. They chanted "The chief is gone. Zimmerman is next."

Some carried signs that said: "100 years of lynching, justifiable homicide. Same thing." Others sold T-shirts that read: "Arrest Zimmerman."

"It's the norm around here, where anything involving black culture, they want to wipe their hands of it," said Shella Moore, who is black and grew up in Sanford.

The Justice Department and FBI have opened a civil rights investigation, and the local prosecutor has convened a grand jury April 10 to determine whether to charge Zimmerman.

Before the rally, Martin's parents met with the local U.S. attorney, the deputy assistant attorney general for civil rights in Washington and the head of the FBI's Tampa office to discuss the investigation.

"We listened carefully to the concerns of the family and their representatives," Special Agent Dave Couvertier, an FBI spokesman, said in a statement. "We continue to extend our deepest condolences to Trayvon's family for their loss."

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
An article that profiles Trayvon Martin as seen through the memories of classmates, friends, teachers and family.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yes. This is one of those bad cases that often results in bad laws. I haven't seen any evidence that Zimmerman was justified or that the kid was a legitimate threat.

But I can anticipate-just as they tried to do with the Giffords shooting-certain elements of the government and media trying to use this to curtail people's rights.

Every state in the country has homicide laws on the books.

Zimmerman can, and most likely should be, prosecuted and convicted under existing laws.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
How did this bad law come to be and who supported it?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
How did this bad law come to be and who supported it?

I am speaking of the tendency for politicians to overreact and start passing unnecessary and overreaching laws in response to a highly publicized case such at this.

I fear we could have that happen again as a result of this shooting.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
The NRA will keep that from happening. I suspect this law and others like it won't even be changed. It's a powerful lobby and it will protect this bad law despite the public outcry.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Obama's statement yesterday

And candidate Gingrich's response

I likewise found it strange that Obama focused on Trayvon Martin's minority status, and Obama saying "that he would look like me." That was a clear attempt to galvanize black support for the upcoming election (a demographic who already voted for him at a ratio of 95% in the last election)

And based on the selective prosecution of attorney General Eric Holder's justice department over the last 3-plus years, whistle-blowing U.S attorneys, some of whom have resigned in protest, have made it clear that Holder's Justice Department is only interested in prosecuting cases where whites are guilty of racial discrimination, and an absolute refusal to prosecute cases where whites are the victims of minorities. A very one-way justice, that Obama endorses by keeping Holder in his position, and that Obama's statement is consistent with.

Thomas Sowell just two weeks ago said that Obama in 2008 was elected as president in an optimistic view of us having reached a "post-racial" society of full equality and breaking away from the past. But Obama surrounding himself, past and present, with the likes of Rev Jeremiah Wright, Frank Marshall Davis, Derrick Bell, Mark Lloyd, Van Jones, and attorney General Eric Holder, seems in both ideology and action to be more interested in a "payback/revenge society", rather than a truly equal society.

Obama's statement about Trayvon Martin, focusing only on the safety of minorities, follows consistently with that ideological mindset.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Why is Gingrich trying to make this all about race? Does he even address the bad law that is causing the ruckus?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Why is Gingrich trying to make this all about race?

Come on, now. Right or wrong, Gingrich is far from the only, or first, person to make this about race.

Now, personally, I don't agree with Newt on this one. I thought Obama's statement was a very compassionate, and human, one. It was one of the better things I've heard from the president on matters of race and he deserved credit for saying something that, to this Obama detractor, seemed heartfelt and appropriate.

Quote:
Does he even address the bad law that is causing the ruckus?

According to the author of the self-defense law at issue, it isn't even applicable in this case:
  • if you carefully read the statute, which most of the critics have not, and read the legislative analysis, there's nothing in this statute that authorizes you to pursue or confront other people. If anything, this law would have protected the victim in this case; it could have...So - and in fact, the gentleman - Mr. Zimmerman's attorney, who when he first appeared on CNN the other night, he actually said he was not going to use this statute. The governor, Jeb Bush, has said it does not apply.

This [everyone trying to repeal a self-defense law before there's even been a verdict] is exactly the kind of politicizing and rush to judgement I worried about. Let's see how the case plays out before anyone decides whether a law is "bad" or "good."

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Police in Sanford, Fla., cited the statute as grounds for their decision not to file charges against Martin’s killer, George Zimmerman.

WP

Maybe Jeb Bush should explain his interpretation of the law to the police down there?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Jeb Bush didn't author the bill.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
He signed it into law. As for a rush to judgement, the gun lobby will keep this law safe and it won't matter that it's a bad law.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Well, it seems that maybe the media, once again, jumped the gun on laying blame before getting the whole story.

http://gma.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin-shooter-told-cops-teenager-went-gun-030349812--abc-news.html
 Quote:
George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch crime captain who shot dead 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, originally told police in a written statement that Martin knocked him down with a punch to the nose, repeatedly slammed his head on the ground and tried to take his gun, a police source told ABC News.

Zimmerman had claimed he had called police about Martin, whom he found suspicious, then went back to his car when Martin attacked him, punching him.

The new information is the most complete version yet of what Zimmerman claims happened on the night of Feb. 26 when he shot and killed the teenager.

In addition, an eyewitness, 13-year-old Austin Brown, told police he saw a man fitting Zimmerman's description lying on the grass moaning and crying for help just seconds before he heard the gunshot that killed Martin.

The initial police report noted that Zimmerman was bleeding from the back of the head and nose, and after medical attention it was decided that he was in good enough condition to travel in a police cruiser to the Sanford, Fla., police station for questioning. He was not arrested.

Martin's girlfriend had said in a recording obtained exclusively by ABC News that she heard Martin ask Zimmerman "why are your following me, and then the man asked, what are you doing around here." She then heard a scuffle break out and the line went dead.

Phone records obtained by ABC News show that the girl, who is 16 and asked to remain anonymous, called Martin at 7:12 p.m., five minutes before police arrived, and remained on the phone with Martin until moments before he was shot.

This, by no means, exonerates Zimmerman. His following Martin led to the confrontation. This does, though, throw into question the 'cold blooded murder' that the media and black special interest groups have portrayed it. We don't know who started the fight, we only know how it ended. Zimmerman should be punished by the criminal justice system. How severely? I'm not sure yet.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Wouldn't the big guy who followed the smaller kid around with the gun be the one who started the fight?

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Yes, if you are bigger than someone else and carry a legal weapon you are always wrong.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Wouldn't the big guy who followed the smaller kid around with the gun be the one who started the fight?

Again, you're making assumptions. And the guy was 5'9", over 200lbs., while the kid was 6'3" at around 150. So big is pretty much relative there. I don't doubt the possibilty of Zimmerman starting the fight. I also don't doubt that Martin could have either. Better than that, I'll admit that I flat out don't know.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

Again, you're making assumptions. And the guy was 5'9", over 200lbs., while the kid was 6'3" at around 150. So big is pretty much relative there. I don't doubt the possibilty of Zimmerman starting the fight. I also don't doubt that Martin could have either. Better than that, I'll admit that I flat out don't know.

Presactly. We don't know what happened. We should see what really transpired and let a court decide what law does and doesn't apply before we make a decision about how to react.

Otherwise, this is a just another attempt to politicize something before the facts are in, no different than the Giffords shooting or the Duke Lacrosse case.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

I'm not making an assumption but feel that Zimmerman was being the aggresor by following the kid around from what we already know. Because of those actions he started the fight. We probably don't agree on that but that's my opinion. If Zimmerman had just listened to the cops Martin would be still alive eating his skittles.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

I'm making an assumption based on what all the courageous black leaders said on msnbc last night.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I've already said that Zimmerman's following Martin led up to the fight. Whoever threw the first punch started the fight. I've also said that, for that reason, Zimmerman should face punishment. Now, if Martin attacked first, then Zimmerman should receive a milder sentence than if he attacked Martin.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Sounds like besides about how a fight can be started we mostly agree Doctor.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I'm not making an assumption but feel...

So your feelings have the force of established fact now?

Quote:
...Zimmerman was being the aggresor by following the kid around from what we already know. Because of those actions he started the fight....

Following someone is starting a fight?

If that's what you really feel, you are abscribing to Martin the same right you think is a "bad law" when applied to Zimmerman: The right to attack someone in self-defense.

Further evidence you're politicizing this and not trying to look at it objectively.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
You left out parts G-man. Zimmerman wasn't just following Martin but he was following him after police told him not too and he was following him armed with a gun. As usual you find yourself trying to hold court against the liberal. If you have a problem politicizing this than try changing tactics than your usual fare.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You left out parts G-man.

Your precise quote to which I responded was "Zimmerman was being the aggresor by following the kid around," not "Zimmerman was being the aggresor by following the kid around after police told him not to and armed with a gun." Nothing was left out. If you don't want people to misunderstand your point, you need to phrase it more clearly... or not change your argument when someone points out the logical flaws in it.

Furthermore, even you had included the phrase "following the kid around after police told him not to and armed with a gun," that still means you were abscribing to Martin a right you claim to oppose.

In either scenario, there is a person who perceives a threat and, rather than retreat or call for help, attacks the perceived threat with physical force.

If you truly believe that Martin was justified because of Zimmerman following him (armed or not) then you have basically just stated your support of the "stand your ground law," at least as how you've described it.

Quote:
If you have a problem politicizing this...

So you admit you're trying to politicize this.

Quote:
than try changing tactics than your usual fare.

The record will reflect my comments have largely consisted of saying Obama (D)'s comments were appropriate and that Gingrich (R) was off base in his criticism of Obama, along with pointing out we should not rush to judgment. The record will also reflect that you keep trying to blame this on Bush (R) and the NRA.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
I've already said that Zimmerman's following Martin led up to the fight. Whoever threw the first punch started the fight. I've also said that, for that reason, Zimmerman should face punishment. Now, if Martin attacked first, then Zimmerman should receive a milder sentence than if he attacked Martin.

I'm going to be presumptive and say Trayvon probably threw the first punch. But only because he felt threatened. In which case, that's also the reason why Zimmerman pulled the trigger--dude was getting fucked up. As such, the precipitating factor boils down to the fact that Zimmerman followed him. Has there been any clarification on whether or not Neighborhood Watch is actually allowed to do this?

Last edited by Pariah; 2012-03-27 6:37 PM.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I don't know of any neighborhood watch that uses direct intervention. They're supposed to immediately notify police of suspicious behavior and that's it. They aren't some sort of security force. They're a bunch of civilians patrolling their own homes. At most they'd be able to use the power of citizen's arrest like any other person.

Again, simply following someone on a public street isn't illegal. Foolish and irresponsible, depending upon the situation.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
all I know is that if I were gunned down in an alleged act of allegedly senseless alleged violence, I'd sure be comforted in the hereafter knowing my legacy would continue on as a political football in an election year.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Don't be presumptive or G-man is going to politicize you!

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
American or International football?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Investigator wanted manslaughter charges against Zimmerman
By Andrew Jones
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 15:19 EDT 33 Topics: Chris Serino ♦ George Zimmerman ♦ homicide investigator

The lead homicide investigator on the Trayvon Martin case recommended that George Zimmerman be charged with manslaughter only to be denied, according to ABC News.

Chris Serino, the Sanford, Florida investigator, filed an affidavit on the night of crime saying he was unconvinced of Zimmerman’s account. However, the state attorney’s office Norman Wolfinger told Serino not to press charges against Zimmerman after he said there wasn’t enough evidence against him.

Police later accepted Zimmerman’s claim that he shot the 17-year-old Martin out of self-defense.

The state attorney’s office said “no comment” when asked about Serino’s affidavit.

RAW

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Don't be presumptive or G-man is going to politicize you!

As noted previously, the record shows that my comments have largely consisted of saying Obama (D)'s comments were appropriate and that Gingrich (R) was off base in his criticism of Obama, along with pointing out we should not rush to judgment. The record also shows that you keep trying to blame this on Bush (R) and the NRA.

Care to try discussing the issue again?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I think the parts you left out are still there for everyone to see so I'm fine.

Fair play!
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
I'm going to be presumptive and say Trayvon probably threw the first punch. But only because he felt threatened. In which case, that's also the reason why Zimmerman pulled the trigger--dude was getting fucked up. As such, the precipitating factor boils down to the fact that Zimmerman followed him. Has there been any clarification on whether or not Neighborhood Watch is actually allowed to do this?

God help me, but...THIS!

But, we'll probably never really know. I don't see this going to criminal court save for--maybe--unintentional homicide or man 2 tops. Any "justice" for Trayvon would probably come more from civil suits than criminal prosecutions.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Chris Serino, the Sanford, Florida investigator, filed an affidavit on the night of crime saying he was unconvinced of Zimmerman’s account. However, the state attorney’s office Norman Wolfinger told Serino not to press charges against Zimmerman after he said there wasn’t enough evidence against him.

Lack of evidence would seem to be a different legal impediment than the "stand your ground law." If so, this tends to contradict, rather than bolster, your theory that "stand your ground" is somehow responsible.

In order to charge someone with a crime, there needs to be sufficient evidence to establish probable cause. The fact that a police officer does or does not believe a suspect may not, by itself, be probable cause.

Unless and until there is probable cause to charge someone, the question of justification would not be reached.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: iggy
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
Has there been any clarification on whether or not Neighborhood Watch is actually allowed to do this?

God help me, but...THIS

The laws of every state vary but typically, following someone around in a public place is only illegal if there was no legitimate purpose for doing so and an intent to harass, annoy or alarm the other person.

If Zimmerman was following him because he believed the Martin was up to no good and was trying to track him to stop him or help the police locate him, that would tend to be a legitimate purpose and, therefore, legal.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Yeah, all we have to go on are the call to 911 and the second-hand testimony of the girl with whom he was on the phone. Circumstantial, at best IMO, "evidence" that he followed the kid with any intent to do harass, annoy, or alarm him.

Biggest indictment I could think of here is against the media. This case is the cause celebre that the media circus loves most. And, for the most part, it shows. Frankly, I'm astonished I haven't seen articles or postings about something stupid Nancy Grace had to say about this yet.

Like I said, even if I assume Zimmerman was in the wrong here, I don't think there will ever be enough clear facts to bring this to anything but a show trial.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

Lack of evidence would seem to be a different legal impediment than the "stand your ground law." If so, this tends to contradict, rather than bolster, your theory that "stand your ground" is somehow responsible.

In order to charge someone with a crime, there needs to be sufficient evidence to establish probable cause. The fact that a police officer does or does not believe a suspect may not, by itself, be probable cause.

Unless and until there is probable cause to charge someone, the question of justification would not be reached.

The evidence in part would be the dead kid with a bag of skittles. Maybe there's more to the story but that alone seems to be enough to justify a manslaughter charge. As noted previously police in this case cited the stand your ground law (signed by Jeb Bush) as the reason for Zimmerman not being arrested.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Uh...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-martin-dogged-disciplinary-problems-school/story?id=16011674

Trayvon Martin: 6 foot 3
George Zimmerman: 5 foot 9

Which would you more wisely describe as the "big guy" and the "smaller kid"?

According to both Zimmerman and 911-phone-in police caller "John", Martin initiated the attack, and the bloody nose, head-lacerations and grass stains on Zimmerman's clothes and face back that up.

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard