Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 84 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 83 84
The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

Since 1977, the overwhelming majority of death row defendants have been executed for killing white victims, although African-Americans make up about half of all homicide victims. African Americans account for one in three people executed since 1977.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

A 2007 Yale University of Law study revealed that African-American defendants receive death penalty at three times the rate of white defendants in cases where the victims are white. In addition, killers of white victims are treated more severely than people who kill minorities, when it comes to deciding what charges to bring.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
In March 2008, the United Nation';s Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination condemned what it found to be racial disparities in the death penalty and in the sentencing of youth to life without parole for crimes committed when they were under 18, a practice the committee wants stopped. The committee called on authorities to take steps, including a freeze on the death penalty, to root out racial bias.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
Alice and Frank were Bungee jumping one day. Alice says to Frank, "You know we could make a lot of money running our own Bungee-jumping business in Mexico."

Frank thinks this is a great idea, so they pool their money and buy everything they need: a tower, an elastic cord, insurance, etc. They travel to Mexico and begin to set up on the square.

As they are constructing the tower, a crowd begins to assemble. Slowly, more and more people gather to watch them at work. When they had finished, there was such a crowd, they thought it would be a good idea to give a demonstration, so Alice jumps.

She bounces at the end of the cord, but when she comes back up, Frank notices that she has a few cuts and scratches. Unfortunately, Frank isn't able to catch her and she falls again, bounces, and comes back up again. This time, she is bruised and bleeding. Again, Frank misses her. Alice falls again and bounces back up. This time, she comes back pretty messed up -- she's got a couple of broken bones and is almost unconscious.

Luckily, Frank finally catches her this time and says, "What happened? Was the cord too long?"

Barely able to speak, Alice gasps, "No, the Bungee cord was fine ... it was the crowd! ...What the HELL is a pinata?!

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
Mexican Eggs

'Two Mexicans are on a bike along U.S. 52 about 15 miles outside of Lafayette, LA. One of the bike's tires goes flat and they start hitching a lift back into town. A friendly trucker stops to see if he can help and the Mexicans ask him for a ride. He tells them he has no room in the Trailer as he is carrying 20,000 bowling balls.

The Mexicans put it to the driver that if they can manage to fit into the back with their bike, will he take them back into town and he agrees.

They manage to squeeze themselves and their bike into the back and the driver shuts the doors and gets on his way. By this time he is really late and so puts the hammer down. Sure enough a blonde cop pulls him over for speeding. The lady officer asks the driver what he is carrying, to which the driver jokingly replies "Mexican eggs."

The Blond Lady Cop obviously doesn't believe this so wants to take a look in the trailer.

She opens the back door and quickly shuts it and locks it.

She gets on her radio and calls for immediate backup from as many officers as possible plus the Swat Team.

The dispatcher asks what emergency she has that requires so many officers.

"I've got a Tractor-Trailer stopped with 20,000 Mexican eggs in it... two have hatched and they've already managed to steal a bicycle.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
Mexican Jokes

The Dallas Solution

I have a friend who is president of his homeowners association in the Dallas, Texas suburbs. They were having a terrible problem with litter near some of his association's homes. The reason according to Wallace (my friend) is that six very large, luxurious new houses are being built right next to their community.

The trash was coming from the Mexican laborers working at the construction sites and included bags from McDonald's, Burger King and 7-11, plus coffee cups, napkins, cigarette butts, coke cans, empty bottles, etc. He went to see the site supervisor and even the general contractor, politely urging them to get their workers not to litter the neighborhood, to no avail. He called the city, county, and police and got no help there either.

So here's what his community did. They organized about twenty folks, named themselves The 'Inner Neighborhood Services' group, and arranged to go out at lunch time and 'police' the trash themselves. It is what they did while picking up the trash that is so hilarious .

They bought navy blue baseball caps and had the initials 'INS' embroidered in gold on the caps.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what they hoped people might mistakenly think the letters really stand for.

After the Inner Neighborhood Services group's first lunch time pickup detail, with all of them wearing their caps and some carrying cameras, 46 out of the total of 68 construction workers did not show up for work the next morning -- and haven't come back yet.

It has been ten days now.

The General Contractor, I'm told, is madder than hell, but can't say anything publicly because he could be busted for hiring illegal aliens. Wallace and his bunch can't be accused of impersonating federal personnel, because they have the official name of the group recorded in their homeowner association minutes along with a notation about the vote to approve formation of the new subcommittee -- and besides, they informed the INS in advance of their plans and according to Wallace, the INS said basically, 'Have at it!'

SO, FOLKS, I THINK YOU COULD SAY THAT TEXAS INGENUITY TRIUMPHS AGAIN!

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
Jose and Carlos

Jose and Carlos are panhandlers...

They panhandle on different areas of town. Carlos panhandles just as long as Jose but only collects 2 to 3 dollars every day.

Jose brings home a suitcase FULL of $10 bills, drives a Mercedes, lives in a mortgage free house and has a lot of money to spend.

Carlos says to Jose "I work just as long and hard as you do but how do you bring home a suitcase full of $10 bills every day?"

Jose says, "Look at your sign, what does it say?"

Carlos sign reads: 'I have no work, a wife and 6 kids to support.'

Jose says "No wonder you only get $2-3 dollars."

Carlos says "So what does your sign say?"

Jose shows Carlos his sign... It reads : 'I only need another $10.00 to move back to Mexico '

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
Mexican Jokes

Mexican Olympiad

President Felipe Calderon of Mexico has announced that Mexico will not participate in the Beijing Summer Olympics he stated: "Casi cada uno que puede funcionar, saltar, o la nadada ha salido ya del pams."

Translation:
"Pretty much everyone who can run, jump, or swim has already left the country."

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
Divorce Facts

1.) Divorce is the legal dissolution of marriage.

2.) Divorce is caused by a multitude of reasons including, incompatibility, mental illness, infidelity, abuse, lack of communication, money, sexual problems, addiction, and differences in religion, culture, and lifestyle.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

3.) Divorce can be either fault-based or no-fault. Fault-based means that you will have to prove that your spouse is to blame for the failed marriage. These reasons may be adultery or abuse or addiction, etc. No-fault means that no one is to blame. A common reason in this category is irreconcilable differences.

4.) When two people get divorced, there is a division of assets such as property, savings, and anything of substantial monetary value. There is also a division of liabilities or debt.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

5.) Normally, one of the parents of a child assume custody. Sometimes the child will live part time with both parents. Such an arrangement is called joint custody. In addition, one parent will make child support payments to the other parent that has custody over the child.

6.) According to the CDC, in 2009 the divorce rate was 3.5 per 1,000 in the U.S. population.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

7.) Most people remarry three years after their divorce.

8.) Most divorces take about a year to complete.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

9.) The number of children living with only one parent is on the increase.

10.) Factors that decrease your risk of divorce: high annual income, a college level education, strong religious beliefs, having happily married parents, and waiting until your mid twenties before getting married.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

11.) Couples who lived together before getting married are more likely to get divorced.

12.) Children living with only one parent are more likely to suffer from poor health.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

13.) Knowing how to argue with a spouse is more important than what the argument is about.

14.) Divorce and its associated stress reduces the work productivity of men.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

15.) Percent of households in the United States that are divorced:

16.) The cost of a divorce in the United States averages from $15000 to about $40000.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

17.) Divorced people are more likely to suffer from mental illness, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and other chronic conditions. This is caused in part by the stress and long lasting trauma of divorce as well as the fact that married couples tend to have better health habits and thus live a cleaner and healthier lifestyle.

18.) How divorce affects children depends on their age:

Infants lack the cognitive development to understand what is happening but they do sense and react to changes in the parents emotions and energy levels.
Preschool children may fear abandonment and often feel that they are the reason for the divorce because they may have misbehaved in some way.
Preadolescent children have a better understanding of the divorce but they also have a greater self awareness of their own pain. This self awareness only amplifies the pain because they lack coping skills.
Teens can feel overwhelmed with the stress of too many changes being forced on them. They will feel anxious about how their world will change and what the future holds. They may feel a loss of parental support in coping with becoming an adult.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
grounds for divorce

Abandonment. A common reason for fault-based divorce occurs when your spouse has abandoned you for a certain amount of time. The minimum time of physical separation depends on your particular state. This time period must be continuous which means that you can’t add up the time periods of several smaller periods of separation. Refusal to provide financial support or to have sexual intercourse are also considered by some states to be abandonment.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
grounds for divorce

Adultery. Adultery is the voluntary sexual intercourse by a married person with someone who is not their marriage partner. It is also used in fault-based divorce. Unless an eyewitness or photographic evidence is available, adultery can be very difficult to prove since all you will have is circumstantial or indirect proof. A good deal of additional evidence (demonstrating inclination and opportunity) that support your accusation will be required before it can be considered grounds for divorce.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
grounds for divorce

Cruelty. This is yet another common reason stated for fault-based divorces. Cruelty is an act that endangers the physical or mental health of a person. Note the use of the word “endanger” here. A simple argument or incompatibility does not endanger a persons health. Cruelty is abusive behavior, such as physical violence, constant criticism and belittlement or incessant yelling and rage.

Imprisonment. Some states allow imprisonment and even a criminal conviction without prison time as grounds for divorce.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
grounds for divorce

Irreconcilable differences. There are some marriages that should never have been. Incompatible personalities, lack of any common interests, indifference about the emotional needs of the other, constant resentment and antagonism toward the other are all hallmarks of the marriage with irreconcilable differences. Because it is the result of a bad match, no individual is at fault and hence is grounds for a no-fault divorce.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
grounds for divorce

Alcohol or substance abuse. Without doubt, alcohol and drug addiction destroy lives. Depending on the severity, it can lead to job loss thus resulting in an inability to support the family. The drug addict or alcoholic can experience personality changes and become abusive. With time he will take down himself as well as those that depend on him. The requirements of marriage are varied and demanding. Because the alcoholic or drug addict is poorly equipped to handle these challenges, it is no surprise then that this is a very common reason for a fault-based divorce.

Other grounds for divorce include irretrievable breakdown of the marriage, mental illness, impotence, and bigamy.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

A fifteen year-old boy came home with a new Chevrolet Avalanche and his parents began to yell and scream, "Where did you get that truck???!!!"

He calmly told them, "I bought it today."

"With what money?" demanded his parents. They knew what a Chevrolet Avalanche cost.

"Well," said the boy, "this one cost me just fifteen dollars."

So the parents began to yell even louder. "Who would sell a truck like that for fifteen dollars?" they asked.

"It was the lady up the street," said the boy. I don't know her name; They just moved in. She saw me ride past on my bike and asked me if I wanted to buy a Chevrolet Avalanche for fifteen dollars."

"Oh my Goodness!," moaned the mother, "she must be a child abuser. Who knows what she will do next? John, you go right up there and see what's going on." So the boy's father walked up the street to the house where the lady lived and found her out in the yard calmly planting petunias! He introduced himself as the father of the boy to whom she had sold a new Chevrolet Avalanche for fifteen dollars and demanded to know why she did it.

"Well," she said, "this morning I got a phone call from my husband. I thought he was on a business trip, but learned from a friend he had run off to Hawaii with his mistress and really doesn't intend to come back He claimed he was stranded and needed cash, and asked me to sell his new Chevrolet Avalanche and send him the money. So I did."

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
A man comes home one day and says to his wife "Darling, what would you do if I said I've won the lottery?"

His wife replies "Id take half then leave you."

He responds "Excellent! I had three numbers and won ten dollars. Here's five, now get the hell out of here!"

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
A married couple is driving down the interstate doing 55 mph. The husband is behind the wheel. His wife looks over at him and says, "Honey, I know we've been married for 15 years, but, I want a divorce."

The husband says nothing but slowly increases speed to 60 mph.

She then says, "I don't want you to try to talk me out of it, because I've been having an affair with your best friend, and he's a better lover than you." Again the husband stays quiet and just speeds up as his anger increases.

She says, "I want the house." Again the husband speeds up, and now is doing 70 mph.

She says, "I want the kids too." The husband just keeps driving faster, and faster, now he's up to 80 mph.

She says, "I want the car, the checking account, and all the credit cards too." The husband slowly starts to veer toward a bridge overpass piling, as she says, "Is there anything you want?"

The husband says, "No, I've got everything I need."

She asks, "Really? What's that?"

The husband replies just before they hit the wall at 90 mph, "I've got the airbag!"

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
Gallium ( /ˈɡæliəm/ gal-ee-əm) is a chemical element that has the symbol Ga and atomic number 31. Elemental gallium does not occur in nature, but as the gallium(III) salt in trace amounts in bauxite and zinc ores. A soft silvery metallic poor metal, elemental gallium is a brittle solid at low temperatures. As it liquefies slightly above room temperature, it will melt in the hand. Its melting point is used as a temperature reference point, and from its discovery in 1875 to the semiconductor era, its primary uses were in high-temperature thermometric applications and in preparation of metal alloys with unusual properties of stability, or ease of melting; some being liquid at room temperature or below. The alloy Galinstan (68.5% Ga, 21.5% In, 10% Sn) has a melting point of about −19 °C (−2 °F).

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

In semiconductors, the major-use compound is gallium arsenide used in microwave circuitry and infrared applications. Gallium nitride and indium gallium nitride, minority semiconductor uses, produce blue and violet light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and diode lasers. Semiconductor use is now almost the entire (> 95%) world market for gallium, but new uses in alloys and fuel cells continue to be discovered.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

Gallium is not known to be essential in biology, but because of the biological handling of gallium's primary ionic salt gallium(III) as though it were iron(III), the gallium ion localizes to and interacts with many processes in the body in which iron(III) is manipulated. As these processes include inflammation, which is a marker for many disease states, several gallium salts are used, or are in development, as both pharmaceuticals and radiopharmaceuticals in medicine.
Contents

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
Elemental gallium is not found in nature, but it is easily obtained by smelting. Very pure gallium metal has a brilliant silvery color and its solid metal fractures conchoidally like glass. Gallium metal expands by 3.1% when it solidifies, and therefore storage in either glass or metal containers is avoided, due to the possibility of container rupture with freezing. Gallium shares the higher-density liquid state with only a few materials like silicon, germanium, bismuth, antimony, plutonium and water.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

Gallium attacks most other metals by diffusing into their metal lattice. Gallium, for example, diffuses into the grain boundaries of Al/Zn alloys or steel, making them very brittle. Also, gallium metal easily alloys with many metals, and was used in small quantities as a plutonium-gallium alloy in the plutonium cores of the first and third nuclear bombs, to help stabilize the plutonium crystal structure.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
Gallium's melting point (mp) is one of the formal temperature reference points in the International Temperature Scale of 1990 (ITS-90) established by BIPM.[4][5][6] The triple point of gallium of 302.9166 K (29.7666 °C, 85.5799 °F), is being used by NIST in preference to gallium's melting point.
Gallium is a metal that will melt in one's hand. This metal has a strong tendency to supercool below its melting point/freezing point. Seeding with a crystal helps to initiate freezing. Gallium is one of the metals (with caesium, rubidium and mercury) which are liquid at or near normal room temperature, and can therefore be used in metal-in-glass high-temperature thermometers. It is also notable for having one of the largest liquid ranges for a metal, and (unlike mercury) for having a low vapor pressure at high temperatures. Unlike mercury, liquid gallium metal wets glass and skin, making it mechanically more difficult to handle (even though it is substantially less toxic and requires far fewer precautions). For this reason as well as the metal contamination and freezing-expansion problems, samples of gallium metal are usually supplied in polyethylene packets within other containers.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

Crystallization of gallium from the melt
Gallium does not crystallize in any of the simple crystal structures. The stable phase under normal conditions is orthorhombic with 8 atoms in the conventional unit cell. Each atom has only one nearest neighbor (at a distance of 244 pm) and six other neighbors within additional 39 pm. Many stable and metastable phases are found as function of temperature and pressure.

The bonding between the nearest neighbors is found to be of covalent character, hence Ga2 dimers are seen as the fundamental building blocks of the crystal. This explains the drop of the melting point compared to its neighbour elements aluminium and indium. The compound with arsenic, gallium arsenide is a semiconductor commonly used in light-emitting diodes.
High-purity gallium is dissolved slowly by mineral acids.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

In 1871, existence of gallium was first predicted by Russian chemist Dmitri Mendeleev, who named it "eka-aluminium" on the basis of its position in his periodic table. He also predicted several properties of the element, which correspond closely to real gallium properties, such as density, melting point, oxide character and bonding in chloride.

Gallium was discovered spectroscopically by Paul Emile Lecoq de Boisbaudran in 1875 by its characteristic spectrum (two violet lines) in an examination of a sphalerite sample.[9] Later that year, Lecoq obtained the free metal by electrolysis of its hydroxide in potassium hydroxide solution. He named the element "gallia", from Latin Gallia meaning gaul, after his native land of France. It was later claimed that, in one of those multilingual puns so beloved of men of science in the 19th century, he had also named gallium after himself, as his name, "Le coq", is the French for "the rooster", and the Latin for "rooster" is "gallus"; however, in an 1877 article Lecoq denied this supposition.[10] (Cf. the naming of the J/ψ meson and the dwarf planet Pluto.)

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

Gallium does not exist in free form in nature, and the few high-gallium minerals such as gallite (CuGaS2) are too rare to serve as a primary source of the element or its compounds. Its abundance in the Earth's crust is approximately 16.9 ppm. Gallium is found and extracted as a trace component in bauxite and to a small extent from sphalerite. The amount extracted from coal, diaspore and germanite in which gallium is also present is negligible. The United States Geological Survey (USGS) estimates gallium reserves to exceed 1 million tonnes, based on 50 ppm by weight concentration in known reserves of bauxite and zinc ores. Some flue dusts from burning coal have been shown to contain small quantities of gallium, typically less than 1% by weight.

The only two economic sources for gallium are as byproduct of aluminium and zinc production, while the sphalerite for zinc production is the minor source. Most gallium is extracted from the crude aluminium hydroxide solution of the Bayer process for producing alumina and aluminium. A mercury cell electrolysis and hydrolysis of the amalgam with sodium hydroxide leads to sodium gallate. Electrolysis then gives gallium metal. For semiconductor use, further purification is carried out using zone melting, or else single crystal extraction from a melt (Czochralski process). Purities of 99.9999% are routinely achieved and commercially widely available. An exact number for the worldwide production is not available, but it is estimated that in 2007 the production of gallium was 184 tonnes with less than 100 tonnes from mining and the rest from scrap recycling.[12]

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

Gallium
The semiconductor applications are the main reason for the low-cost commercial availability of the extremely high-purity (99.9999+%) metal.
Gallium arsenide (GaAs) and gallium nitride (GaN) used in electronic components represented about 98% of the gallium consumption in the United States in 2007. About 66% of semiconductor gallium is used in the U.S. in integrated circuits (mostly gallium arsenide), such as the manufacture of ultra-high speed logic chips and MESFETs for low-noise microwave preamplifiers in cell phones. About 20% is used in optoelectronics. Worldwide, gallium arsenide makes up 95% of the annual global gallium consumption.
Gallium arsenide is used in optoelectronics in a variety of infrared applications. Aluminium gallium arsenide (AlGaAs) is used in high-powered infrared laser diodes. As a component of the semiconductors indium gallium nitride and gallium nitride, gallium is used to produce blue and violet optoelectronic devices, mostly laser diodes and light-emitting diodes. For example, gallium nitride 405 nm diode lasers are used as a violet light source for higher-density compact disc data storage, in the Blu-ray Disc standard.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts

Gallium is used as a dopant for the production of solid-state devices such as transistors. However, worldwide the actual quantity used for this purpose is minute, since dopant levels are usually of the order of a few parts per million.
Multijunction photovoltaic cells, developed for satellite power applications, are made by molecular beam epitaxy or metalorganic vapour phase epitaxy of thin films of gallium arsenide, indium gallium phosphide or indium gallium arsenide.The Mars Exploration Rovers and several satellites use triple junction gallium arsenide on germanium cells. Gallium is also a component in photovoltaic compounds (such as copper indium gallium selenium sulfide or Cu(In,Ga)(Se,S)2) for use in solar panels as a cost-efficient alternative to crystalline silicon.

[edit]Wetting and alloy improvement
Because gallium wets glass or porcelain, gallium can be used to create brilliant mirrors. When the wetting action of gallium-alloys is not desired (as in Galinstan glass thermometers), the glass must be protected with a transparent layer of gallium(III) oxide.

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
superhero jokes

Q: Why did the Flash leave that greasy diner so quickly? A: Because he got a bad case of the runs!

Q: What is the Flash's favorite music group? A: Fast-Ball!

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/peoplejokes/comicbookjokes/theflashjokes.html

The alt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
The alt
15000+ posts
Q: What is the Flash's favorite part of a joke? A: The "punch" line!

Q: What is the Flash's favorite drink? A: Fruit punch!

Q: What's the difference between the Flash and a unicorn? A: Nothing, they're both fictional characters

Page 35 of 84 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 83 84

Link Copied to Clipboard