Not really related to the Martin incident, but my take on the whole marijuana thingie is that it's like alcohol in the sense that it can be the catalyst but it's not the root. It's not a magic elixir that can turn a person into someone they're not.

I mean, there are people who already have a tendency to do stupid things, but when they're perfectly sober, they still have the ability to second guess and prevent themselves because they know the consequences or it's the whole hardware vs software thingie about morality. But as soon as a catalyst enters the picture, whether it's alcohol removing inhibitions or marijuana making them more creative and insightful of what they really want to do - shit happens.

Marijuana is actually illegal in my country, and I don't know if it's correlation or causation but the number of crimes committed by people who have pot in their system is an issue. Marijuana users are usually those from the poverty class, since rich people have access to and prefer more expensive highs like e, cocaine, and crack. (note that the divide between the rich and the poor in here is wider than your country's. I make $12 US dollars a day and I'm still a few pesos above the government's mandated minimum wage, whereas we have politicians, CEOs and celebrities who are rich enough to make it to Forbes list of people I want to kick in the balls and rob.)

At least in here, the people who are committing crimes with pot on their system are the kinds of people who still invested money on marijuana, despite not having a job, or not having enough income to provide for their family. It's safe to say that they're the kind of people who are naturally predisposed to poor life choices. They'd have fucked up their lives (and someone else's) through some other catalyst, pot was just the first thing that came along.