Originally Posted By: Prometheus
 Quote:
Still, sometime in the mid seventies, Roddenberry lost his goddamn mind and started to push the whole socialaist utopia and 'Starfleet isn't a military organization' bullshit that most of the writers had to include but didn't really like.

I don't know. Given the timeframe you're speaking of (late-60's/mid-70's) I don't know if I would say he "lost his mind" as much as rode the wave of the free-love zeitgeist of the day. It was the 70's, "man". Peace, love, and acid. The collective demographic of twenty-somethings and younger would not see a "military organization" of any kind true to the philosophy of their day, any more than 80's kids "loved" authority figures. Those kids wouldn't have found it "cool" to dig Vietnam Era "space soldiers". Thus, between '69 and the '79 movie, TREK swung into the "global peace" ideology of the hippy movement. Thus, it's actually a pretty genius business move on his part.

He molded TREK from the "Wagon Train to the stars" as it was pitched in the westerns-of-the-60's era, into an intergalactic Peace Corp for the next decade and culture swing. The kids followed. Spock became a cultural icon as his "logic" was embraced by the hippie crowd. Just look at all the "SPOCK FOR PRESIDENT" slogans of the day.

Then, by the late 80's, it was time to move into the "Next Generation" of Star Trek viewers. Thus, TREK became the evolution of the 70's utopia (which admittedly Roddenberry held onto) but with the avarice of the 80's (check the size of that bridge and ship) and the burgeoning pseudo-psychological feel-good New Age vibe of the mid-to-late-80's (which was in itself a sociocultural response to the height of the Cold War tensions). Enter TNG. Then, the darkness and cynicism of the 90's was front-and-center in DEEP SPACE NINE, curtailing that utopian platform that TNG had preached. So, taking all of that into place, I think Gene was a genius to evolve it to sell, even if he had no idea what he was actually talking about.

I don't buy this since the Vietnam war was in full swing by '68. The military vibe was kept even during the animated series in '73 and '74. Roddenberry attempted several backdoor pilot TV movies in the 70's with no success. He even revamped one idea two more times after the original movie sank.

By the time the Trek movie came about, Roddenberry realized it was all he had and reasserted a control over the franchise that he gave up in the series final season after fighting too much with NBC. I think this is when Trek started to turn itself into the glorified memory of the fans rather than what it really is. There's a reason why Treks 2 and 6 are the best of the original films. It's because Nicolas Myers told Gene to go fuck himself and made the ship and crew look and act like military personnel. He made Kirk the Horatio Hornblower in space that Gene claimed Kirk was. Roddenberry tried too hard to portray the utopian future that fans of the series remembered watching but that, in fact, was never there in the original episodes.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."