Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I think the whole purpose of Nolan's bat films is to put an actual human in the cape and cowl and what that does to a real person. Rises was about a Batman who lost everything he was trying to protect by being Batman and, therefore, losing his way.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Batman is open to many interpretations. However, going back to Bob Kane and Bill Finger, continuing through Adam West, Denny O'Neill and Steve Englehart and up to Frank Miller and others, it was always "Bruce Wayne in a mask." Bruce Wayne just happens to be obsessed with avenging his parents' murder by warring upon criminals while wearing a mask.

Frank Miller was the one who pointed out and defined the functional distinctions between the two personalities. If he's to be believed, that's the reason why so many writers were angry with him after he wrote DKR.

And I can't prove it, but I'd like to think that Bill Finger thought the same way. I'm pretty sure he was feeding Bob Kane lines when Kane clarified that character's mission would have been cut short if he had known who the killer was from the get go.

Above all else, what I'm saying is that Nolan and Goyer were both aware of exactly which defining moments they needed to properly change the player from Batman to Bruce Wayne: instead of having a faceless killer that Bruce Wayne and Batman associated with all of crime, they instead had Joe Chill. So even if there are different interpretations, they in particular were still operating off Frank Miller's observation.

Last edited by Pariah; 2012-07-30 4:36 PM.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
I think the whole purpose of Nolan's bat films is to put an actual human in the cape and cowl and what that does to a real person. Rises was about a Batman who lost everything he was trying to protect by being Batman and, therefore, losing his way.

Do you really think that's a more profound alternative though?

Personally, one of the most attractive features about the character to me is the egoism involved; an individual who dresses up and fights crime because he has a selfish, base, and esoteric urge to do so rather than someone who feels they have an obligation to a greater good--or just a fascination with vigilantism for that matter.

Last edited by Pariah; 2012-07-30 4:37 PM.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
In the era where superheroes have become mainstream, I think it is nice to put the concept into a real world frame instead of just of the classic comic book concession of 'this will go on forever'. This is a Batman with a complete story with an actual end instead of a continuous need to sell books on a monthly basis.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
ive seen in three times now. the best way to view it really is on imax. i highly recommend seeing it that way if possible.

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
how about if I watch it on a 14 inch screen but I put my eyes real close to the screen?

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
You'd have to put them really really close, because your eyes are small, because you're Asian.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
my eyes are black, because they like to steal glances!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard