Another of my favorites is the Killraven series in AMAZING ADVENTURES 18-39, mostly by Don McGregor and Craig Russell, the series that established both these then-newcomers as leading talents.

If I had not read the series and relied on someone else describing the basic concept to me, I would think it sounds stupid. But once you get past the first few issues by other writers and artists, and into the McGregor/Russell issues, it's very well done.
It's loosely a sequel to H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds.

In the Killraven series, the Martians returned 100 years later in 2001, and this time successfully conquer and enslave Earth's population.
There are many original aspects in the storyline beyond that basic concept. The martians breed humans for food, and also for gladiatorial games, which is where Killraven emerges from. The martians also employ humans in ways similar to the way Nazis employed Jews as guards in concentration camps, and they have similar twisted and sadistic tendencies. All mixed in with futuristic cities and technology.
Killraven is part of a small band of "Freemen" who wander tyhe continent and rally resistance against martian rule, and implied, are the core that will eventually defeat the martians. The interaction of this small group is beautifully portrayed, and remarkably optimistic for an apocalyptic future storyline, with outstanding prose for its time, and a lot of humor.

Issue 18 is mostly by Roy Thomas and Neal Adams, who pencilled the first 11 pages. But apparently it took Neal Adams forever to pencil the book, and they took it away from him and had Howard Chaykin complete the first issue, all inked by Frank Chiaramonte.

Issues 19 and 20 are also illustrated by Chaykin, inked by Frank McLaughlin, these two transitional issues were unspectacular and typical Marvel fare.

Issues 21-24 begin Don McGregor's writing of the strip, and the humor, characterization and beautiful prose begin to develop immediately. Herb Trimpe illustrated these issues, and this diminished them for me. But there were still the beginnings of what was to come.
Issue 25 is illustrated by Rich Buckler
Issue 26 is by Gene Colan.
I liked this variety of artists, because you got to see how their vision of the series differed from Craig Russell's.

Beginning with issues 27-31, 32, 34, 36, 37 and 39, the series finally took full shape. Russell and McGregor apparently had trouble making deadlines, and there were fill-in issues (at least partially) in issues 30, 33, 35 and 38, the latter two pencilled by Keith Giffen. But the issues around these fill-ins are ones to treasure, clearly labors of love.

The series ended in 1976, but then was later continued in a KILLRAVEN Marvel Graphic Novel in 1983. Both McGregor and Russell's styles had changed in the intervening years, but while some aspects were different, the magic was essentially still there.

All these were collected in a black-and-white "Essential" type collected edition a few years ago, but I still prefer them in their original form.

complete series at:
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Amazing-Adventures-1970/Issue-18?id=88006