Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 31 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 30 31
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Stand your ground has at least one more benefit to it though. Under the law Zimmerman essentially gets an extra chance with a mini trial. If Zimmerman is still having the stand your ground mini trial, than I would think that law is still in play. I'm still seeing references to it...

Quote:
Zimmerman Appeals for New Judge in Martin Shooting

More Sharing ServicesShareShare on facebook_likeEmail7 Comments Print
Text Size- / +By By MIKE SCHNEIDER
ORLANDO, Fla. August 14, 2012 (AP)

The former neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed Florida teenager Trayvon Martin filed an appeal Tuesday saying the judge in the case is biased against him and should be replaced.

George Zimmerman said in an appeal filed with the 5th District Court of Appeal in Daytona Beach that he fears he would not be able to get a fair trial if Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester continues presiding over the case. Lester had previously rejected a motion filed by Zimmerman to disqualify himself.

Zimmerman cited Lester's July order granting him a second bond in which the judge said the former neighborhood watch leader "flouted" the system by misleading the court about how much money he had available during a previous bail hearing. At the earlier bail hearing in April, Zimmerman sat silently while his wife testified by telephone that they had limited resources for bail. In fact, the Zimmermans had raised at least $135,000 in donations to a website set up for his legal defense.

Zimmerman's original $150,000 bail was revoked after prosecutors presented the judge with jailhouse recordings of Zimmerman instructing his wife how to transfer the money raised from the website to different accounts. The second bail was set at $1 million.

"Generally a statement by the judge that he feels a party lied in a case indicates bias against the party," Zimmerman said in the motion.

The order's suggestion that Zimmerman could be charged with perjury or held in contempt also "creates a horrible chilling effect on the case," the motion said.

Zimmerman fears that Lester might not believe his account of what happened at a "stand your ground" hearing in which a judge determines if the defendant was justified in using self-defense, the motion said. If the judge agrees with the defendant, then criminal charges are dropped and civil lawsuits can't be pursued. If the judge disagrees with the defendant, then the case goes to a jury trial.

Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder in the February death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Sanford. Zimmerman pleaded not guilty, saying he acted in self-defense.

All proceedings in Zimmerman's case will be delayed until that court decides whether to hear the appeal.

The lack of an arrest for 44 days led to protests around the nation.

abcnews.go.com

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
There were other remarks made by the judge that I recall, that were much more personal and prejudicial than what's quoted above. If what's quoted above were the extent of it, I'd agree with the judge, (that Zimmerman not only had an undisclosed $135,000 in donations, but also tried to hide them by transferring the money!) and not consider him biased. But other remarks have been made by the judge.

It's certainly understandable that Zimmerman wants a judge who would rule in his favor. But moving for the judge to be removed --unsuccessfully-- could only piss the judge off and hurt Zimmerman's case.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
No News about this in a long time.

I wonder if that means the state has no case against Zimmerman.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Wait. Weren't we told Martin never laid a hand on this guy?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Martin blasted his face with mind bullets.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
This was old news. There were some pictures that showed Martin probably got a couple of licks in before Zimmerman killed him. This was prior to Zimmerman being caught flat out lying about donations he had recieved if that helps jog some memories.

Fair play!
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I recall that, yeah. I also recall that you tried to write off Martin's assault by saying that Zimmerman's wounds were somehow minor and therefore not relevant. And now you're using a perjury excuse to try and distract from the more elaborate evidence that Zimmerman defended himself.

Yep. I certainly recall.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
How do you know it was Martin's assualt? It could have just as easilly been him fighting for his life when some stranger pulled a gun on him in close quarters.

BTW it looks like Zimmerman isn't starving these days...

Sorry for getting all TMZ but holy crap he put on a lot of weight fast!

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Way to dispel the stereotype of gay men as being catty and weight obsessed, MEM. GLAAD must be so proud to have you.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
How do you know it was Martin's assualt? It could have just as easilly been him fighting for his life when some stranger pulled a gun on him in close quarters.

We've been over this: if it was Zimmerman's intent to shoot him, he would have done so prior to Martin getting as close as he did.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Way to dispel the stereotype of gay men as being catty and weight obsessed, MEM. GLAAD must be so proud to have you.

-Meh- Me making a catty comment is about as representative of gays as you making one. This is the RKMBs y'know. The original home of the donkey fuckers.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah

We've been over this: if it was Zimmerman's intent to shoot him, he would have done so prior to Martin getting as close as he did.

I don't think Zimmerman's intent was to shoot him from a distance. I do think it's possible he got scared and pulled the gun out before Martin ever touched him and that could have left Martin the one being threatened. That's just my opinion obviously and it will be interesting watching the court case.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Either way, he would have pulled the trigger from a distance. If he was as wound up as you say he was, he wouldn't wait to fire the gun he was already holding after he had gotten thrown to the ground with fists wailing on him.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Your making the assumption that Zimmerman was acting rationally in the encounter. Considering what we know so far I don't think you can make that assumption.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

-Meh- Me making a catty comment is about as representative of gays as you making one. This is the RKMBs y'know. The original home of the donkey fuckers.

The record will reflect that MEM just compared homosexuality to bestiality.

In any event, I'm less concerned about MEM's self-loathing and more about the timing of this photo's release indicating that the prosecutors withheld evidence

I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
Your making the assumption that Zimmerman was acting rationally in the encounter. Considering what we know so far I don't think you can make that assumption.

My question still remains the same. Why the hell was there any confrontation in the first place?

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
PCG342 #1192167 2012-12-07 12:04 AM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
George Zimmerman sues NBC over edited 911 call: George Zimmerman is suing NBC, claiming he was defamed when the network edited his 911 call to police after the shooting of Trayvon Martin to make it sound like he was racist.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
the NBC would make a great RKMBs poster.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: George Zimmerman

Originally Posted By: the NBC
Hey, let's edit the tape out of context to make George Zimmerman look like a racist who specifically targeted Trayvon Martin because he was black, instead of him only mentioning Martin's race when the police dispatch SPECIFICALLY ASKED if he was black.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
http://www.calbarjournal.com/May2012/EthicsByte.aspx

I wonder to what extent these errors could be used to claim ineffective assistance of counsel if Zimmermans convicted and there's an appeal

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Trayvon Martin's Family Settles Wrongful Death Suit

Quote:
Trayvon Martin's family has reached a settlement in a wrongful death suit they filed against the homeowners association of the sub-division where Martin was killed, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

Martin was shot to death just steps from his father's home on Feb. 26, 2012, by volunteer neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman. The case drew national attention last year as the Sanford Police Department vacillated on whether to file charges against Zimmerman, who indicated that he'd shot Martin only after being attacked. Zimmerman has been charged with second degree murder and is currently awaiting trial.

Portions of the settlement released Friday do not specify how much money Martin's family will receive, but according to the Sentinel, the figure is believed to be in excess of $1 million. The settlement does, however, state that Zimmerman is not part of the agreement. Lawyers for Martin's family have made it clear that they still plan to file a civil claim against Zimmerman at a later point.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

George Zimmerman's Mother, Gladys Zimmerman, Pens Open Letter On One Year Anniversary Of Son's Arrest

Quote:
One year after her son was arrested for the shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman's mother has penned an open letter to the public thanking the family's supporters and chastising the media for it's treatment of her son's case.

George Zimmerman's brother, Robert Zimmerman, tweeted the two-page letter in which his mother calls today the anniversary of "the day the justice system failed us as Americans."
  • April 11 2012 will be forever remembered by the Zimmerman family as the day the justice system failedus as Americans, and as a consequence an innocent man was arrested for a crime he did not commit,solely to placate the masses. George was charged with murder. By confusing the public andmanipulating perception in order to sway the “court of public opinion”, Benjamin Crump & co. finally achieved their “first base” victory.

Zimmerman goes on to blame the media for portraying her son as a villain and subjecting him to premature judgment:

• The media, with the help of social media made it their prerogative to judge and sentence George beforeand after his arrest. Even members of Congress and self-proclaimed “activists” used and routinely use to this day the term “murderer” when they speak of him–in effect they are re-enforcing the onlyacceptable judicial outcome in their eyes. Many have seen to it that he be judged by the public, the verypublic they were keen on misinforming.

George Zimmerman's family has repeatedly spoken out in his defense. Last month, his brother Robert stirred controversy with racially charged tweets comparing Trayvon Martin to an alleged killer that he later apologized for.

Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder, and is awaiting a trial date set for June 10, 2013.

Over the last year, with the Zimmerman case, and with the push for Amnesty for illegals, these are the first two examples in my lifetime where the government has been intimidated into corrupting the law to appease a mass of angry people.
People who have a contempt for the law, and are therefore unworthy of being U.S. citizens.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
So if the trial doesn't supply the verdict you want...

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Over the last year, with the Zimmerman case, and with the push for Amnesty for illegals, these are the first two examples in my lifetime where the government has been intimidated into corrupting the law to appease a mass of angry people.

Apparently you are either younger than you claim or you've forgotten about the Rodney King trials.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: WB

Apparently you are either younger than you claim or you've forgotten about the Rodney King trials.

Well, I partly see your point, but not completely.

There were riots and intimidation in 1991, but they were not successful in bending the law.

The four cops who beat up Rodney King were exonerated by a jury. There were riots and pressure, but at that point it did not work. (Unlike the George Zimmerman arrest when there clearly was not evidence to convict, or even to arrest. It was a show-arrest, to appease blacks threatening to riot.
And likewise, the amnesty for illegals, where political pressure on Republicans that they will lose all future elections, if they don't cave in and endorse amnesty.)

Rodney King won a 7-figure settlement from the city for his beating, because the police exceeded their authority in beating King.

And the "L.A. Four" who almost killed Reginald Denny were also not given a free pass for almost killing Denny.

So while there was intimidation by blacks to urge bypassing the law, I don't see where that attempted corruption was successful in any of the Rodney King-related events.
Is there some detail I didn't mention?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
you forgot to mention that rob is gay

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
 Quote:

Well, I partly see your point, but not completely.

There were riots and intimidation in 1991, but they were not successful in bending the law.

The four cops who beat up Rodney King were exonerated by a jury...

Which resulted in the riots. Which resulted in the federal government trying them a second time, "as a balm to a minority community outraged by what it perceived as a miscarriage of justice."

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I actually was fooled by that, G-man!

I thought that legally, you could try someone in civil court, and that it was a common legal tactic, long before the Rodney King riots.

I heard the double-jeapordy argument raised at the time, but I didn't think it set a new precedent. But I'm not an expert in legal matters.

Trayvon Martin's parents getting a "seven figure settlement" from the condo association could also be seen as a legal exploitation of the race-card. That seems like a rather high settlement. Do you think it could have gone higher without a settlement? Or do you think they settled in a shakedown, to avoid more negative publicity?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
A Cornell law school professor has been covering the trial on his blog: http://legalinsurrection.com/tag/trayvon-martin/

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Dershowitz: Knock-knock joke told by Zimmerman's attorney grounds for mistrial

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/25/der.../#ixzz2XJiJdSPF

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Dershowitz: Knock-knock joke told by Zimmerman's attorney grounds for mistrial

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/25/der.../#ixzz2XJiJdSPF

That was embarassingly beyond-belief stupid.

It would somehow make sense if it was done to calculatedly set the grounds for a mistrial. But as stupid as that opening statement was, I find it hard to believe it was that calculated.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Dumb way to open but I would be surprised if that resulted in a mistrial.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Dumb way to open but I would be surprised if that resulted in a mistrial.

I tend to agree. The laws of every state vary but in NY that would in no way result in a mistrial. At worst, if Zimmerman were convicted, he might have a claim for ineffective assistance of counsel on appeal.

That being said, based on the article, I am assuming that there must be some sort of mechanism in FL wherein a defendant could fire his or her lawyer for cause and get a mistrial if a court finds that ineffective assistance has already occurred.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Bad as that opening "joke" was, it has been somewhat eclipsed by the illiterate, unintelligible, profanity and racial-epithet-laden testimony of the prosecution's star witness.

This girl is dumb as a rock.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: from article
Jeantel testified Wednesday that her friend's last words were "Get off! Get off!" before the phone went silent. But on Thursday, under cross-examination, she conceded that she hadn't mentioned that in her account of what happened to Martin's mother, Sybrina Fulton.

Not only is this inconsistent with her earlier deposition, but witnesses have testified that it was Trayvon Martin who was on top of Zimmerman pounding away, "mixed martial arts style".
Logically, the person on the ground getting their face pounded would be screaming for help, not the one doing the relentless punching.

Quote:
She had left out some details to spare Fulton's feelings, and also because neither Fulton nor the Martin family attorney asked her directly about them, Jeantel said. At one point, West handed her a letter she had written with the help of a friend to Martin's mother explaining what happened. She looked at it but then said she couldn't read cursive handwriting.

You just can't make this kind of stuff up.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
A lot of people seem to be judging who was on top by the photos of Martin at age 12, and Zimmerman's current weight.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Trayvon Martin as the media portrays him. Who apparently stopped growing at age 12, and by the photos the media selects, hasn't been photographed since.

Trayvon Martin, as he portrayed himself on Facebook and Twitter, at roughly the time he initiated the conflict and jumped on Zimmerman's face.
Any photo or mention of what Trayvon Martin looked like or thuggishly said at age 17 is, apparently, "racist".

Damn! Facts are so racist!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Any pics of him in prison orange after he assaulted a police officer?

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Oh wait that was the other guy wasn't it?

Fair play!
Page 21 of 31 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard