And French Quebec's push for separation from Canada.

One report I saw said that only immigration to Quebec has created the votes necessary to keep them in Canada.

I think when you look at the U.S. War of Independence, you have to look at the legitimacy of their grievances. As I recall, it was the Boston Massacre that was the final outrage that led to revolution. Remember that at the end of the French and Indian War, the colonists were fiercely loyal British subjects, and proud to be British. It was a series of contempts for them by the king, in the form of oppressive taxes and open attacks on them, that drove them in barely 12 years to rebellion.

I wasn't aware that the British General Corwallis had asked to surrender to the French, who told him to direct his surrender to the Americans (an important gesture of recognizing U.S. sovereignty).

I don't think you're "seditious" in simply recognizing that Australia's history could have had a different outcome.
New York City could have remained in the hands of the Dutch and remained New Amsterdam.
The Japanese could have won at Midway, and turned the tide of the Pacific War.
The U.S. and Russia could have destroyed each other (and the world) in the Cuban Missile Crisis (it came very close to that).

As I recall, Australia was first discovered and mapped by the Dutch, and had a different name.