My friends and I were talking this past weekend about how we essentially grew up watching the same shows that our parents did as kids. This was due to there not being a lot of original, new programming on TV, especially cable, at the time. That is not so much the case anymore. Nickelodeon, a term that today's kids won't even understand, has original programming pretty much around the clock as opposed to replaying whatever was affordable for them to by from the syndication market. There's also the added delivery system of the internet that has made stars out of YouTube posters. My niece is wild about a shitload of online weirdos in a way that I can just never understand.

I grew up watching the same Adventures of Superman with George Reeves and Abbott & Costello that my mother did. I'm only in my mid 30's, but I probably have about 70-80 years of pop-culture in my head. My Lone Ranger is Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels is his Tonto. Johnny Weissmuller is my Tarzan. The fact that I have a favorite Lone Ranger and Tarzan may also be a signifier of what I'm talking about. Motherfuckers today don't even know the Three Stooges.

I'm starting to think that this is part of the reason why I'm so detached and uninterested in the youth culture of the kids that are starting taking classes at the university I work. I have an extra sort of connection with my parents, aunts, uncles, etc. because I can sit down and watch an old John Wayne western or The Dirty Dozen with them and enjoy it. It looks like that connection between the generations is dieing off. Quite frankly, I don't want to live in a world that doesn't know what 'Who's on First?' is.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."