Originally Posted By: Pig Iran
Todd McFarlane is not a great artist--he is a great inker. Peter David is mostly overrated except on his Hulk run, and to some degree Young justice.
I understand the historical importance of Swamp thing from Wrightson to Moore, but I think Swamp Thing sucks and is boring, and certainly isn't horror......

Blasphemy!
I love the Wein/Wrightson run, one of the most re-read series in my collection. Beautiful art, with exceptional stories, if at times a bit overdramatic and preachy.
I still prefer and more frequently re-read the Wein/Wrightson run over the Moore run, because of its nobility, sympathetic treatment of monsters, and at many points very good writing.
I can see where others would be bored with it, or find its storytelling a bit dated. But it's still widely regarded as a classic in the field.

It either won or was nominated for best writer, best artist, best series, and best single issue for each of the years it was published.
And if you meet Wrightson in person, he's one of the most approachable and unpretentious creators you will ever meet.

Moore's SWAMP THING run was more dark and cynical, and while I enjoy it, I revisit it far less often. Particularly offputting for me are John Constantine, and scenes with rotting copses and undead filled with bugs or maggots, and people or monsters drooling. But regardless, there is undeniably some exceptional writing and prose in the series. But I still prefer the original series.
The intervening Michelinie/Redondo run, and the Pasko/Yeates run (just before Moore/Bissette took over) are also good but unspectacular runs.