Originally Posted By: Nöwheremän
You still have not proved he wasnt a legend because of his output rather than his talent.

The fact that the designs of Kirby are the template for the entire Marvel Universe, even 50 years later is a testament to Kirby's talent, not simply his output. His designs for the FF, Thor, Asgard, Attilan and the Inhumans, the Silver Surfer, Galactus, on and on.
The fact that the New Gods, and Darkseid in particular, are among DC's most popular characters is again proof of Kirby's talent, not just his output.

Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
Had another artist produced as much work as him over a period of time, who is to say Kirby would have been viewed the same if he had then produced the same amount of work as them.
For me, as much as the GA artwork sucked generally, an artist like Dick Sprang was head and shoulders above Kirby.

I disagree. I've had all of Kirby's 60's and 70's work for decades. In the last few years, I've sought out Kirby's pre-Marvel "Atlas Era" Marvel Masterworks hardcovers of TALES TO ASTONISH, TALES OF SUSPENSE, RAWHIDE KID, romance comics and other work.

I certainly do not see a "Marvel Standard" thats been the same for 50 years. Most costumes he designed have changed. Nobodies artwork looks the same as his, and even the writing is vastly different.

Apparently you've never heard of George Perez, Keith Giffen, Jose Ladronn, Walt Simonson and many other artists heavily influenced by Kirby.

Simple fact is you call this comic book blasphemies, and shit all over the contributions of a guy like Gibbons and defend your comments with nonsense like "nobody would hang his art on the wall", then when someone has their own "blasphemie", you defend that with vague comments like "Marvel standards" which are laughable.

I didn't "shit" on Gibbons. I said that while I like his style the same way I like guys such as Pat Boyette or Dan Spiegle, and I enjoyed WATCHMEN and his work there, I think WATCHMEN could have arguably been even better with another artist with a more decorative linestyle and arguably on an even higher level of talent, such as Neal Adams, Alan Davis, or Bissette Tottleben.

Pretty much the only character design that is the same today in the Marvel Universe is Spidey, and thats Ditkos work, which resembled Kirbys work as much as King Snarf resembles Uschi.

Not true. I've already cited just a few designs and artists that still follow in the Kirby designs and tradion on Marvel characters. And there are some who say that Kirby was the original designer of Spiderman, before Lee gave the character to Ditko. Kirby DID do the first AMAZING FANTASY 15 cover.

By the way, the Fourth world stuff at DC is probably my most despised collection of characters ever. Right up there with The Eternals at Marvel. Shitty designs, and even shittier names. (Granny Goodness, Glorious Godfrey .. gimme a fucking break).

Your opinion. The idea of the name Granny Goodness is to project an image with the name's childish-sounding innocence, is its ironic contrast to the brutal and monstrous torment for its "boys" that the place truly was.
If the NEW GODS series is so hated, then why has it been reprinted in three different formats so far? And the NEW GODS originals are some of the most sought-after originals by Kirby. (A recent "artist's edition" of NEW GODS original art was just released, by the way.)

I respect that we all like what we like, and that we're not all going to have the same favorites. But geez man, can't you admit the guy had considerable talent, even if his work isn't your style?

I'll concede that Kirby's work by the mid-70's wasn't what it once was, but there were still moments of greatness even in that period.