I caught the "using white supremacists" aspect, and I agree that the writers were using it to nullify the toxicity of associating with supremacists. But, narratively speaking, it fails to diminish the role he played as a penultimate redneck--especially as a redneck leading a bunch of other rednecks. Disingenuous or no, he's still the anti-establishment guy with a swastika on his arm and southern accent.

Dewey and Coover are the baddies who get most of the face time. I'd say they're far more representative of the antagonism than Mags. Their defining moment in that season was when Raylan and Rachael meet with them for the first time when Coover was disposing of rats with a revolver in a dilapidated hovel before he comes out to greet them with a rodent carcass and a racial slur (as though there was any other reason for her to be in that scene). That being said, aside from representing hillbillies in general, they also represent Mags in particular. And however smart and clever she and Doyle may be, they're still the ones who--literally--dropped the hammer on Coover, giving them a more brutish image than a smart one.

I'll wait til you finish season 3 to talk about Limehouse. I will say though that his motives don't require an elaborate or overt statement of justification to passively assign his position a kind comparative legitimacy or moral authority. Suffice it say, he gets bit pretty bad in that season, but the treatment he receives lacks the same severity applied to anyone else who pulled the same kind of shit he has.

Last edited by Pariah; 2015-04-28 3:31 AM. Reason: Last sentence got cut off.