Originally Posted by Pariah
Hello Dave.

Originally Posted by First Amongst Daves
So the "blue wave" ease to power which many Dem supporters thought was going to characterise this election has been diluted by seeing views from both sides of the fence.

So, thus far, I'm really surprised by Maine's current results, and the other way surprised by Montana. Disappointed by Texas, which I would have guessed was increasingly liberal. In Arizona I wonder if Biden got a boost by McCain's widow coming out for him.

The theory on this one--which I'm leaning toward--is California. Liberals who couldn't afford to live under the policies they put in place leave in waves and go to cheaper-to-live states and then proceed to vote in the same policies that motivated them to leave their previous homes in the first place. In which case, the California exodus has seen droves of people head to Texas and Arizona.

Was McCain's wife a factor? Perhaps. But I have a feeling the stated perception of her influence was utilized to justify a flip that the Demmy media already saw coming even though it is, quite frankly, out of left field. People tend to overstate the affect that icons have over the larger culture of a given environment. In my experience, people know how to think on their own regardless of what a single individual says. Besides, she was never that popular.

Hey P, it has been a while.

I'd really like to see stats on resident traffic to and from California to see if your extremely plausible theory stacks up. (Anecdotally, I know liberal Texans who have moved to California - or moved to Austin.) But, wouldn't the same thinking apply to Florida? There was some discussion somewhere today that Latinos in Florida have different perspectives to Latinos in other Us states, which, frankly, I don't understand (I'm not sure i have ever actually met a Latino person - Australians are generally culturally blind to ethnic US surnames).

NYT shows Biden at 209, Trump at 118. CNN shows Biden 205, Trump at 136. Fox shows Biden at 227, Trump at 210.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com